Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 39 degrees now with an expected high in the upper 50's. Fall is here.

Johnny - you did good at the train show.

Garry - Nice photo (as usual) Great idea for an industry.

Willie - Hoping this is the last time I will have to use the laptop. New 'puter should be in this afternoon. good luck on the chain link fence. Another project I have been procrastinating on.

Later

Good Morning Everyone....over cast and humid in this part of Wisconsin....34 degrees at the cabin in Central Wisconsin on Saturday morning. Fall is close by.

The Mrs. is packing for a trip, so to get out of her way, I'll soon be headed to the layout room.

Curt: I think that the lack of air flow through the coils of your AC unit is the likely cause for the unit to freeze up.

Willie: Over 100 covered hoppers, WOW and I thought that I over "did it" with several hundred ore cars of various roads. Post some photos of your fence project when you have it installed.

What is the total count of all your rolling stock?

Chet and Willie: I never used a laptop, not to mention using a touch screen.

Garry: I like that photo of the Bread Company and that's a great name for a bakery...."Stayle". Would like to have some four stack Baldwin switchers in my fleet.

Finally, I got my Milwaukee, Racine & Troy - Dash 8 sound working properly yesterday afternoon. It took resetting the factory CV's to clear up the problem of the Dynamic Breaks operating at speed. The LokSound decoders have superior sound, but at a cost, $$$, to install one in non-sound locomotive and then add the cost of a 4 ohm speaker and a LokSound programmer at $150.

That's all for now.

Greg

###############

Willie: Over 100 covered hoppers, WOW and I thought that I over "did it" with several hundred ore cars of various roads. Post some photos of your fence project when you have it installed.

What is the total count of all your rolling stock?
Greg - That's just the ATSF brown covered hoppers. Probably have another 100 lettered for other roads and private owners like ADMX. Grain is an important commodity on my layout. I currently have seven grain elevators with one more planned as well as a planned ethanol processing plant. Overall, I am just shy of 800 freight cars on the layout itself, with around 50 more new ones on the shelf.

Greg, I use iPhone speakers in all my new Loksound and Soundtraxx decoder installs. They are 8 ohm, and work very well, with a small size. It is also what Rapido uses in all their sound installs, if they have room.

Afternoon fellers. Soggy start to the week here. A little cooler this week than last week. Just found out a water main has broken and I no longer have water at the house. No idea when that will get fixed. Started laying ballast in some areas of my layout. No pics as of yet. I went with a darker grey blend this go around. It is definitely an improvement over my last ballast I used. I will leave a photo for y'all however. Taken from Prince, WV courtesy of my friend Chris Ellison.
42324532_1219813944825388_6907364880160915456_o.jpg

Afternoon All,

The AC is still doing well. My parents AC is supposed to be fixed tomorrow, but their landlord has been putting them up in a hotel while it's out. Today I went to check the gas in my pickup and I have no ignition at all, not even clicking. The battery in it is only 2 months old. It's always something.
I ran a train for awhile today and discovered that the TT bridge is not moving. I did all the obvious checks and it feels like the gears are not engaging the teeth in the pit for some reason. The last time I used it before leaving it worked fine.

Chet- Nice F unit now that Garry set me straight;).

Greg- Thank you. All the fans appear to be working properly. I was thinking low refrigerant, but I'm probably wrong, I am about everything else:).

Justin- Sorry to hear about your water. Nice rail shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Greg, I use iPhone speakers in all my new Loksound and Soundtraxx decoder installs. They are 8 ohm, and work very well, with a small size. It is also what Rapido uses in all their sound installs, if they have room.
Which ones are you using Terry? Any favorites yet? Thanks also about their impedance value.

That's the ones I used in the newer release Athearn RTR SD40's to replace firstly the factory sound ones and I will use on the nonsound one I have without needing to remove the taller cover/extra weight that fills the recess in the extension the speaker fits into. Huge sound improvement.

Have a look also at the review I did of the fit that can be achieved with the iPhone 6s Plus 5.5" speaker http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/iphone-6s-plus-5-5-speaker.30637/ from post #7 on. I am remiss in promising to try it in an SD45 and not doing so yet.. It has the advantage of firing out one end instead off to the side. If you haven't noticed on the iP4s's, there is a gasket stuck around the opening that can be pulled off for more clearance.

Where I got mine from
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Loud-S...var=610852086841&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Good evening.
Driving through the Appalachians (I-81) in moderate to heavy rain sure sucks. The one saving factor was traffic, especially truck traffic was light.
We actually made good time, seven hours with three stops. Our Kitty was happy to come home.

Started raining hard after dark, and while I was in the basement, running my trains, I heard water trickling. Looked up and saw water seeping in under the south wall window. The well was filled to the bottom of the window. Checked the other three window wells, and found they were relatively dry.
Conclusion, the water was running off the patio table and into the well. Normally the position of the patio table, is against the wall, and covering the window well. this time, that caused a problem.

It's actually quite tropical right now 72° with a SE wind, although the rain has let up. quite a contrast from yesterday mornings 39°.

Tomorrow shapes up as a busy day, with a long to do list.

Garry: Nice scene. Like the name of the bakery, and the Baldwin.

Willie: If the only reason for the trip, was the jazz Festival, I would probably be pissed. However, it was a sidebar, we accidently stumbled in to a year ago, and sitting along the St. Lawrence and listening to music is a great way to spend the afternoon. Moving the large bands indoors was disappointing. We did catch several sets by a Texas Swing Quintet that was quite good, plus a traditional quartet at a inn up the street, both on outdoor patio bars, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Curt: The visit was a lot of fun for us. The wife and grand daughter tried to out do each other on the swing set...she was like a kid herself...until the next morning.:rolleyes:

Boris

Good evening.

Thanks to Toot, Curt, Willie, Chet, Gred, Boris, and anyone I missed for commenting on my bread bakery.

Justin... Nice photo.

Boris ... Glad you are home safely.

Good Morning All. 66° and mostly cloudy. Some minor sprinkles a little while ago. We have hit the high for today, a stiff north wind is cooling our world down for a day or so. Forecasters have added thunderstorms to our forecast this morning, I guess they had to since there is a very large area of rain about 90 miles west headed this way. It doesn't appear heavy on the radar just yet, just a big area. Yesterday I walked south again and noted that the rush of water through the roadside ditch Friday night had washed away the cow carcass that I posted about last week. Probably in that lake across the road by now.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I stalled out on the fence, just didn't feel like working on it. OK though as trains still run through the area just fine. Did some layout dusting and vacuuming and also spent a little more time updating my database, this time adding recent cars added to the layout with vital statistics and photos.

Justin - Good to read the post about the water being turned back on. Ours only went off once in over 30 years about 18 months ago, due to a main break around four miles away. A bit inconvenient. Nice looking picture of the WV countryside.
Curt - Too bad all landlords aren't as considerate as your parents' landlord.
Joe - Glad that you returned safely. Nice to read that the whole trip wasn't a let-down.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 57 and really fall-like out there. Nice sleeping weather has arrived!

A question for everyone: Some of you told me about the product ACT6006 for cleaning track. I'm going to get some this week. My question is: What about track cleaning cars? Do they work or is it just as good to have those track cleaning pads attached to the underside of a freight car? Also, can you use the ACT6006 to clean the wheels on engines? What is the best way to clean those wheels?

From the train room: did more scenicking (I'll bet English majors love that word - I know, I was one) and glued some more window panes in the DPM building.

Have a good day everyone.

Another foggy, rainy, tropical type morning here in Jersey. Our state should be added to places where the sun don't shine. :rolleyes:

A quick good morning. 34 degrees with an expected high in the ow 60's. Fall is here.

Justin - Nice rail photo. Glad you got your water back. Gotta have coffee.

Joe - Glad that you got home safely and that kitty is happy. You were lucky to find that water problem.

Going to cut it short today. The new computer is in and I have a bit of work to do getting progras installed and get it set up the way I like it. Nice not to have to use the laptop. Found the cordless mouse for the laptop when I was setting up the new computer. Go figure.

Later

I figured that since I was messing around with speakers and there was reference to iPhone4s and 6s ones, I'd change one of the SD40's 4s's, to a 6s and compare them. Thought the 6s with it's larger overall size and sound orifice, might have been a tad more Bassey, but wasn't enough to really notice any difference. The only time I could say I noticed a possible difference in volume, in particular was when turning both around to the opposite direction. The 4s equipped had been facing me first with the closed side of the speaker towards me, turning it with the opening facing, did seem to add a smidgin more volume, nothing of much substance. If you were going to buy one of these, I think you'd best get the DCC/sound ready one, one of these speakers and your own decoder, you'll be tossing out the fitted speaker anyway and getting a bit more weight over the back truck.

Raincoat 2: Fast reply about ACT-6006 .... I use CenterLine Cars with the rollers to apply the product, but first use a Masonite mounted pad car for the initial cleaning. A Bright Boy for any hard to clean areas.

Greg

######################################

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back