Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 69 and sunny out there. Another beautiful day - - so why am I in this office?!?! :mad: Oh, that's right - I need to make some money to spend at the train show this Saturday.:rolleyes:

Spent the evening replacing another casement window operator. Easy work, just takes time. Ran some trains for a while, but the trains gave me fits - - probably dirty track, so I'll have to get after that. I have a track cleaner attached to one of the cabooses, but it must not be enough. Did a little more scenicking.

Toot - Fantastic train photos. Thanks for posting.
Chet - I always enjoy your photos; I do prefer trains rather than just rails, but you do post some nice rail photos.
Willie - Your getaway to the Gulf Coast of AL sounds nice. Enjoy. Our Branson getaways are close enough that they don't require a long road trip, so we go often. My wife's family lives in East Texas, and we visit them usually once a year. When we go there, we invariably head down to Galveston or the Bolivar Peninsula to get my fill of beach life for the year.

There's a mocha screaming my name, so I have to go. Have a good day everyone.

Well -- we hit 93 yesterday, but the "feels like" said 98! I believe the "feels likle" was right on.
More of the same expected today.

Willie -- That is a looongggg fence. No way to break it up? How are you cutting it-Scissors, razor blade, my lost pocket knife?
How in the world do you come up with all the "days" of whatever?

Louis -- You have a way with words .. Visualizing Sophie and Tucker tales as I type. Humanity mostly disappoints me with the cruelty shown to animals and each other.

Johnny -- Funny "signature" Good one!

Good morning, everybody ....... Foggy here .

Terry .... Glad your friend liked the dinner train.

Louis ... Tucker and Sophie look like good companions.

Chet .... The NCL always looks great.

Toot .... Those are good shots on Montana railroading..... I like the NP NCL the most.

Johnny ..... I think you would enjoy My Old Kentucky Dinner Train. The Kentucky Railway Museum in New Haven, KY is not very far from Bardstown.

Willie .... Glad you and your wife had good results at the doctor. ..It seems like the older we get the more time we spend with medical and dental appointments.

good morning. A chilly start to the day at 39 degrees with an expected high in the low 70's. Got almost all of the outdoor chores done to get ready for winter. One hydrant at the front of the house still has to be turned off and attaching the plow to the tractor is all that is left.

Karl - That is a good looking pooch. Enjoy him. I think that rescue dogs make better family members. We have had excellent dogs from rescues.

Johnny - It sounds like you really enjoyed your weekend. I have never been there but may have to go there sometime in the future on a road trip.

Ray
- Nice photos. I should take the time and take some in the area. Lots of action especially over Bozeman Pass. We are headed up to Thompson Falls, MT this weekend and the highway to the town runs right along side the MRL/BNSF mainline into Sand Point, ID. Hope to see a lot of rail action. We will pass the trestle on Homestake pass on the way.

Louis
- Like your pups. I am sure that they really appreciate what you did for them. Our little doxie Ginger follows me all over the house and out in the yard. She is now curled up along side the desk wanting to be near people. that are family members.

Willie - Glad the visit to the saw bones went well. I have my annual next month. It can be hard to get an over all photo of a layout depending on how it is configured. I can see where yours can be a problem. Good luck with the chain link fence. I have one to put up but it seens to always being pushed back on the "to do" list.

Here's a rail picture for today. For , it has a train on it. It's an F-9 like the one I am working on to get going at the club. Can't wait to get the chassis back so I can complete it.

F=9   Horn.jpg

Later

Hope everyone's day is going well. My son is still here, waiting to hear how a friend is making out driving from Raleigh to Swansboro. If he makes it, without incident then my so has a clear - dry route to drive home. It's near a week since the evacuation order was issued. He may elect to borrow my F150, rather than drive down in his Dodge Charger. He now knows why having a FWD Pickup is a good idea.

We are preparing to drive to New York this weekend. The Clayton Jazz Festival is this weekend, and the Grandson's third birthday is Monday.

Took the wife's car in for 50K service and a noise from the LF wheel well. Turns out the splash shield came loose. The cost was reasonable too.

Like all the NP and MRL photos, and all the puppy photos.

Watched some morning TV while waiting for the car. Wow! Found out I'm not missing anything at all. The guy that said TV was a vast wasteland, was right. :rolleyes:

Have a great afternoon.

Boris

Garry: Didn't know Corman ran excursion trains. I know the Nashville & Eastern did, from the TC museum. Looks like fun!

Hope everyone's day is going well. My son is still here, waiting to hear how a friend is making out driving from Raleigh to Swansboro. If he makes it, without incident then my so has a clear - dry route to drive home. It's near a week since the evacuation order was issued. He may elect to borrow my F150, rather than drive down in his Dodge Charger. He now knows why having a FWD Pickup is a good idea.

We are preparing to drive to New York this weekend. The Clayton Jazz Festival is this weekend, and the Grandson's third birthday is Monday.

Took the wife's car in for 50K service and a noise from the LF wheel well. Turns out the splash shield came loose. The cost was reasonable too.

Like all the NP and MRL photos, and all the puppy photos.

Watched some morning TV while waiting for the car. Wow! Found out I'm not missing anything at all. The guy that said TV was a vast wasteland, was right. :rolleyes:

Have a great afternoon.

Boris
https://abc11.com/weather/florence-flooding-drone-video-this-is-interstate-40/4273835/

Good Afternoon....finally back from the cabin, but need to return on Friday to do some staining before the weather changes. Raining today.

Spent part of the day testing a sound decoder installation. Purchased a Digitrax PB4 interface and installed SoundLoader software on the computer. The PB4 is the fastest and easy way to change CV's and install sound files. It took a little learning on my part to do the PB4 install with the correct drivers, but now I know how to do this task. Just really like the PB4. It's good investment for Digitrax users for less than $80.00.

Ran some trains later this afternoon and a track cleaning car using ACT-6006 on Center Line track cleaning cars. The ACT-6006 work wonders on track cleaning and leaves a non-dust collecting, conductive film.

Tomorrow, I'll work on the junk yard area of the Waupaca industrial park. Have to move some buildings around and attach a fence. The area keeps getting smaller. Guess some junk will make it out of the property boundaries.

Later tomorrow I have some locos that need exercise or have never left their original boxes. Need to test run new locos to besure they are operating correctly.

Miller Time.

Later

Greg

##############

Ray - Nice photos. I should take the time and take some in the area. Lots of action especially over Bozeman Pass. We are headed up to Thompson Falls, MT this weekend and the highway to the town runs right along side the MRL/BNSF mainline into Sand Point, ID. Hope to see a lot of rail action. We will pass the trestle on Homestake pass on the way.
That would be nice, especially if you do catch some trains. It's the everday consists being pulled, as well as the unusual or spectacular that makes modelling a prototype, really interesting. The scenery is spectacular all the time.

Good Morning All. 72° and clear to start our day. Full day ahead, doing the weekly grocery/beer trek again on Wednesday this week. Our remodeling contractor is returning for a day's work on the other bathroom this morning. Scraping. taping and bedding the ceiling which is beyond my skill (or desire) level. I'll be doing the remainder with my wife doing all of the painting later, this room will not require plumbing or tiling other than hook-up of the new toilet and vanity, both which I can do. Scheduled start around October 25 or so. He is also picking up some 3/32" sheathing and letting me use his portable table saw to rip it into 4" wide strips for the "shiplap" walls in that bathroom.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I did a little on several things. I cut and painted the first 18" of tulle material for the chain-link fence, twice! Straightedge slipped! I also attached it to five or six posts as well. Still shuffling structures around on the peninsula which will be the next project. I believe that I have a good plan that just needs tweaking. There's going to be a couple of roads running diagonally across the area and will include all of the structures pictured the other day as well as a small park/rest area. Might even be able to add another small structure that I don't have yet.

Sherrel -
Willie -- That is a looongggg fence. No way to break it up? How are you cutting it-Scissors, razor blade, my lost pocket knife?
How in the world do you come up with all the "days" of whatever?
As posted above, I am breaking it up into manageable 18" pieces. I'm using a brand new single-edge razor blade and an 18" steel ruler.
Garry -
Willie .... Glad you and your wife had good results at the doctor. ..It seems like the older we get the more time we spend with medical and dental appointments.
Ain't that the truth! I went from 1970 until 2005 without seeing a single doctor, now I see him four times a year. Dentist on the other hand I should have had more visits over that time. Went in for cleaning but never had an x-ray that would have spotted underlying issues before they became major expenses.

Everybody have an awesome day. Remember that today is "Talk Like a Pirate Day ".

Good morning everyone. 73 and sunny out my window. Still working to earn money for this weekend's train show.

Terry - Hope all is well in your area as you recover from the hurricane. I understand inland river flooding is going to be a real problem for a while. Stay safe.
Chet - If you head in this direction on some future roadtrip, do visit Branson and get in touch with me - we'd enjoy meeting up for coffee.
Greg - Thanks for the tip on track cleaning using ACT-6006. Since my trains are messing up right now, I may need something like that.
Garry - The dinner train and museum sound like fun. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Got home from work yesterday and it was time to mow. our local train club holds its fall train show this weekend. I hope to score some freight cars, a few structures, and some miscellaneous scenery items. I'll post photos on Monday from the show and any treasures I find.

have a good day everyone.

Everybody have an awesome day. Remember that today is "Talk Like a Pirate Day ".

Our recently last Prime Minister is staying in New York ( or at last report he and his wife were) and he notably used to, when asked impromptu questions by Journalists, Ummed, erred and Aarred quite a bit while collecting his thoughts. A couple of months or so ago I had gone for a haircut up in our little town, and as I walked back to my car, I passed a little Coffee shop where the owner was just closing the doors up (only open for breakfast and lunch).
In his window he had written a sign. "If you go Eeerrr, you are human", "If you go Aarghhh, you are a Pirate". I stopped, and looked at it. The punch line was missing. So I said to him, "Does that mean if I go Errrrr....Aarghhh, that makes me a Prime Minister?" He had to think about it for a couple of seconds.

Good Morning All,

Tomorrow we start heading back from VA to home in Central Florida. Based on conditions on I-95 the preferred route, we will be going a more westerly route through Charlotte and Columbia. If everything works out good I'll be home Friday afternoon.

ARGGGG -- Spent most of yesterday chasing my tail it seems. Finally settled down long enough to change the oil on the RV generator - should have picked up a new air filter for it as well ... will try and remember that in the next day or two. Going to have to take it to the shop before we try and plan another longer trip. Have several issues that I do not have the ability to deal with - backup camera's not working and one of the leveling struts is leaking hyd fluid and a couple other more minor issues.

Today, I have to run down to San Diego and pick up my BIL who went to Houston for his cancer checkup. He has a form of Leukemia and by strictly adhering to a special diet - made up by an alternative Chinese doctor- it seems to help. He has been battling the problem for almost 6 years. The medical center in Houston is amazed at his longevity?

Curt - Safe travels on your journey home. Stay away from the water!

Good Morning Everyone....over cast and more rain forecasted for the next day or so.

Getting ready for the train room.

Raincoat: Before using the ACT-6006 I make sure that the track is clean, usually using a car with a Masonite pad attached under the car. Once the ACT-6006 is applied it sure maintains the track and I believe the product reduces electrical arcing between the locomotive wheels and the track. I tried every product from GOO Gone (terrible) to alcohol for track cleaning. I finally found ACT-6006, a bit expensive, but worth the price.

Willie: Drywall taping and finishing was once a easy project for me, but no more...getting to old to put up with the mess and labor intensive work. Have fun with the chain link fence project. I made one several years ago and plan one more since I have the materials and the fencing material is already pre-cut to the proper height, just need to cut it to length.

Later today looking forward to running I believe a GE Dash 8 - 40BW that was painted and lettered for the Model Railroader's the Milwaukee, Racine & Troy Railroad. The locomotive is also named in honor after the late Andy Sperandeo, an Editor of the magazine. I had the opportunity to visit the layout a few years ago and our group was given a tour by the well known Jim Hediger of the magazine. As a bonus, Jim showed the group all the MR project railroads that were completed over the years. An hour and a half well spent.

Looking forward to riding the Hiawatha train to Chicago next week. I especially like the complex track work going into Union Station. I used to ride the train from Milwaukee to Chicago for business meetings and the train was easier than the traffic coming home. Its been a while since I last used the Hiawatha and I heard the cars are greatly improved for creature comfort.

I better get down to the trains before the Mrs. finds some projects for me.

Have a great day.

Greg

###################

Saxeville Tunnel entrance.JPG

Entrance to the Saxeville Tunnel on the Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad.

Last edited:
. Garry - The dinner train and museum sound like fun. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Johnny ... if you are considering a vacation for the KY dinner train, there are other places of interest . I mentioned the KY railroad museum. All are not far from I-65. Other places nearby are Abe Lincoln’s birthplace and Mamouth Cave. Bowling Green has the Corvette Museum and also a small railroad museum with a short L&N passenger train with an E-unit.

Everybody, speaking of trips. We are thinking of going to Utah for the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike. UP expects to have a Big Boy operating then . ... Would any of you be interested in going there for that ?

Greg ... I like your tunnel scene.

Good evening. It's partly cloudy and 84.
Today turned into a crapshow at work. Insurance companies are refusing to write new policies because of the flooding from Florence, so nobody can take possession of a home, travel trailer, boat, or other insurable property. That isn't stopping our F&I department from continuing to make appointments for people to come in and buy trailers they can't take with them.They are very careful not to mention this fact until after the customer has signed all their paperwork, and submitted payment. At that time, the F&I manager breaks the bad news to them. There have been some unhappy customers over this.
The worst was today, where our sales department processed all the paperwork for the wrong trailer for a customer that lost their home in the storm, and was planning to live in the trailer while their house was repaired or replaced. After much screaming, cursing, and threatening, I was finally able to get the people calmed down enough to allow us to prepare the correct trailer for them. After doing all the work, installing a trailer hitch, orientation, test drive, and completing their paperwork, the F&I manager sprung the "I'm sorry, but you can't take the trailer, because you can't get insurance" story on them. I'm sure y'all know what the outcome of THAT was. Of course, the F&I department had all the paperwork signed, with the people contractually obligated to own this trailer that they can't take with them, and they're still homeless after spending $105,000.00 on a travel trailer. To say we have an unhappy set of customers would be the biggest understatement of the year. Of course, F&I has the people's money, so they don't care that the rest of the company has to deal with the consequences of this.

Good morning. 50 degrees and overcast. May not even get up onto the 60's. Bummer. Summer is over up here.

Looking at the flooding in the Carolinas, it's going to take years for some people to recover from this. Really feel bad for those folks down there.

Curt - Good luck on your travels to Florida. It will probably add a lot of miles to your trip with so many roads closed. Let us know how you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back