Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a great day Everybody!
1536919832836.png

My knife is a SCHRADE USA L B 7 Serial # on handle M 45409

Prayers for those in path of storm and for all of us . Aint no Atheists in a fox hole.

Phil

Good morning everyone. 67 and clear out there. Weather here is gorgeous for the next several days, partly because of Hurricane Florence. Prayers for Terry and all those on the east cost affected by the path of this event.

Nothing to report from the train room. Spent the evening working on changing out one of the casement operating units. Then ran trains for a few minutes and gave the DPM structure a shot of DullCote.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 70° and clear to start our day. A dry day yesterday so I gave the mower a workout, not without incident though. Early on, I had a wheel bearing disintegrate as well as one of the large washers on an axle. Rough conditions on the SFW estate! :mad: I had a spare bearing but had to make a trip to the local Ace Hardware store for another washer. All is well again. Wife wanted to bet me that they wouldn't have a washer of that size, but I declined to take her up.
Surprisingly, the pool is warming back up, up to 76° yesterday, almost to the lower limit of what I normally tolerate. I hadn't put the cover on yet because of the rainy days and despite three days of projected thunderstorms from the Gulf, temperatures are going up which means maybe I'll be able to use it for another week.
I wasn't able to spend as much time out in the train shed as planned, but I did work on the chain link fence some more, It's time consuming to begin with and I am doing 63" total. I have gotten to the point of gluing the top rail to the top of the fenceposts and adding the diagonal braces. At best I can glue three or four posts at a time and then wait for the glue to set up. As I proceed, I generally have to go back and redo an earlier one. Gluing .018 wire to the top of another piece of .018 wire takes some doing. There are 66 posts at a scale 8' apart. I could have gone with a 10' or 12' spacing, but from past experience 8' is visually more acceptable. While waiting for glue to dry, I played around with the layout of structures and streets in my next big project area. There's adequate room for all of the structures that I have earmarked for it, and I am going to actually need a few more. There's eight buildings comprising seven businesses for now. More to come on this project.

Louis - We all earn the right to become grumpy old men, although being a grumpy old b***h comes about a lot earlier in life.
Johnny - Nice work on "Robert's". I don't recall what I named my build of this structure, as a matter of fact I think that I may have two of them in separate areas. Didn't realize that you vacated the master bedroom as well during your remodel, I am most comfortable sleeping in my own regular bed! It doesn't end there unless you have already done every other room in the house.
Chet - It took me two years to use the remote car-unlock feature on my 2009 Civic. My wife chides me for not ever looking at the back-up camera screen in her Accura RDX. I feel more comfortable turning my head and looking like I have done for over 50 years. I can't turn that feature of the screen off, but everything else is OFF.

Stay safe on the East Coast. Prayers for all who are affected.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning.... Preyers for those affected by the storm.

Louis .... Love the bus photos ... I was a bus driver while attending college..... I recall being a full time bus driver and a full time student at the same time. ... The bus dispatcher gladly fit my bus driving schedule in with my class schedule. .... All I had then was very long days of work and study....

Johnny .... I like your DPM building ...

Willie .... I'm getting used to the back up camera on my wife's Buick Enclave we purchased in November. It can be helpful. For example, I can see people walking in a parking lots so I don't back into them.

Chet ... Interesting rail photo with track going into the water. ... I heard Fairbanks Morse locomotives had diesel engines deigned for submarines in WWII.... Maybe they had an amphibious locomotive. LOL

Here is the "City of Memphis" near Jacksonville, TN.

44639129021_eeae4d57bc_b.jpg

Afternoon fellers. Been some time since I've posted last. I haven't had much going on lately. Did run some laps on the layout but no progress. I don't get past the stare at it part and trying to draw up ideas. It's not progress by any means. Been eyeballing a product from MRC that has me interested. I don't know how good it is but it's not a steep investment either. So who knows? Here it is:
https://www.micromark.com/Ho-Loco-G...jAw9Xykh8EnueLtnhkuNbIAL0G9l8xqBoC21MQAvD_BwE
I can get it cheaper on eBay. I can't really find much info on it. And for what it I suppose it would be worth trying.

Good afternoon. 41 degrees to start off the day and we are at 71 now.

Terry - I hope you and your wife are alright. I have been watching the hurricane updated and I can't believe how much rain they are forecasting.

Justin - Here's one for you.

41502620_2030974880287687_6260308124075294720_n.jpg

Joe - A couple of years ago on my trip to the Daytona 500, I was furnished with a Ford Fusion and it drove me crazy. Never tried the Sync because I don't use a phone while driving, but the climate control was also on the touch screen. If I was on the radio screen, I ended up having to pull over and peck numerous times just to change the speed of the fan for the A/C.

Got all but one of the hoses put up for the winter and picked up some more apples for the woman on the bowling league who has a few miniature pigs. Brought a couple of 5 gallon buckets to her last Friday. Supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow so I will replace the belt for the hydrostatic drive.

It was mayhem at the club yesterday. One of the guys runs multiple trains at the same time and he apparently lost track of one of them and rear ended his ore train that he was pulling into the yard. Ore cars all over the place. I went to another part of the layout and did some switching and then he had a plastic coupler let loose pulling a long grade and we had coal cars scattered all over the place at the bottom. Time for more switching. He thought he had replaced all of the plastic couplers. Guess not.

Later

ALRIGHT ALREADY! Putting the knife hunt on hold. (maybe it will turn up later) I did everything except turn both the car and truck upside down!
In my truck all I found was gas receipts and insurance cards going back 5 years plus about a pound of stuffing from a "killed" pillow and another half pound of dog hair.
The car was a different scenario; several dried apple cores, gum wrappers, candy wrappers, some popcorn leftovers, two half empty water bottles, a few grocery receipts, a checkbook (all checks used up), and two - 1.00 bills and 1.67 cents in loose change.
Remainder of the day will be spent at the dog park and then .....
Off to the ACE hardware for a couple new washers and some hose clamps to fix the dishwasher drain hose!

Daughter, who lives about a mile from North Topsail Beach who has a policeman in her neighborhood, reported that her house is fine, but a good portion of their backyard fence is down. Lots of wind and water around still, but their house is dry! PTL!

Good afternoon. 41 degrees to start off the day and we are at 71 now.

Terry - I hope you and your wife are alright. I have been watching the hurricane updated and I can't believe how much rain they are forecasting.

Justin - Here's one for you.

View attachment 30462

Joe - A couple of years ago on my trip to the Daytona 500, I was furnished with a Ford Fusion and it drove me crazy. Never tried the Sync because I don't use a phone while driving, but the climate control was also on the touch screen. If I was on the radio screen, I ended up having to pull over and peck numerous times just to change the speed of the fan for the A/C.

Got all but one of the hoses put up for the winter and picked up some more apples for the woman on the bowling league who has a few miniature pigs. Brought a couple of 5 gallon buckets to her last Friday. Supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow so I will replace the belt for the hydrostatic drive.

It was mayhem at the club yesterday. One of the guys runs multiple trains at the same time and he apparently lost track of one of them and rear ended his ore train that he was pulling into the yard. Ore cars all over the place. I went to another part of the layout and did some switching and then he had a plastic coupler let loose pulling a long grade and we had coal cars scattered all over the place at the bottom. Time for more switching. He thought he had replaced all of the plastic couplers. Guess not.

Later
Ah yes the GM50 locomotive. I have the old blue box version I'm working on. I'm still looking for a set of buy it now handrails on the cheap. Good picture though! I really enjoy it.
received_1882498455147002.jpeg

Ah yes the GM50 locomotive. I have the old blue box version I'm working on. I'm still looking for a set of buy it now handrails on the cheap. Good picture though! I really enjoy it. View attachment 30465
That might have come with both wire and plastic handrails in the box. I had a GP40 (SP/SF merger) that was from a period when Athearn were still using the Blue Box shells and chassis/drive, but had updated them with factory fitted grabs and offered that choice.

Hiya gang
In a weird twist of fate, we have been approved for the adoption of the dog we initially applied for!!
The last hurdle is a home visit Sunday, and the adoption fee!

Hiya gang
In a weird twist of fate, we have been approved for the adoption of the dog we initially applied for!!
The last hurdle is a home visit Sunday, and the adoption fee!

Karl ...... Congratulations to you and GF .... I still think you could name him "Budd".... ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back