Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 61 and clear out my window.

Terry - I see all the talk about trees coming down. 11 years ago we lived elsewhere near here, on 3.5 acres. That January (2007) we had an ice storm that brought down 32 trees on our property - may have been more than that, but that's what I counted. Most of them were cedars. It was well into the summer before I and our little Craftsman chainsaw could clear and burn all that mess. No structures or vehicles were lost, however. But "taking your motor home to work" sounds like a safe alternative for you. Continued prayers for your wife.

Got home last night and had to mow. All that rain the past five days left the grass mid-calf high in some places - this is a lawn, mind you - not a cow pasture :D After mowing I put in the new faucet for the kitchen sink. You want to find out how old your body is?? Get under a sink and take out an old faucet unit and install a new one. I made noises that I haven't heard since my grandfather was alive :confused:

Hopefully back to the trainroom tonight. But I do have some casement window crank-out operators to replace. When will this end?

Have a good day everyone.

Willie, despite my best effort and rest this cold has a mind of it's own!

Even a relatively minor brush with Hurricane Florence — potentially the strongest ever to hit the United States north of Florida - could create serious problems for Maryland. Baltimore Sun
1536756275264.png

The predicted track shows this beast going west after making landfall.

Smart move with the trailer Terry!

God Bless Everyone in the path of this hurricane.

Good morning, y'all.

Just to give a perspective of how serious Hurricane Florence is, the Barracks Marines at MCAS New River, NC, were evacuated to Atlanta, GA, which is unprecedented. My son, who works at MCAS Cherry Point, closed up his house, and drove North to Jersey, after work yesterday. His section is closed until at least Monday, or later...

I have been MIA here due to other considerations.

Terry, hope your wife continues to stabilize.

Boris

I have been MIA here due to other considerations.

Boris

Boris .... We've been missing you. I hope the "other considerations" are not bad news.

Karl ... I like the SD24's .... I recall seeing and hearing the real ones running on the CB&Q race track west of Chicago. I have two Atlas CB&Q SD24's. I put Soundtraxx Tsunami sound in mine.

Willie .... I like the signs on the buildings.

Terry ... Thanks for the background about Herbie .... or Herby .... I think there are HO recalls for them. ... I hope you are safe in the big storm.

Murphy has left the Carolina's and moved in here with me & I am not happy!
Day before yesterday I took the P/U in to have an alignment. It was pulling to the right so bad that it took constant pressure to keep it on the road. My car doctor has been telling me for over two years that the front struts were shot and the ball joints were going out. Well, I have a "new" front end as of yesterday afternoon and my checkbook is flat, but at least I can drive it without my shoulder hurting and there are no more squeaks coming from the front end. Just took the whole SS check for the month to pay for it; I'm going to have to spend every day at Costco making the sampling rounds. Counting the prior repaint work, the front brakes, the fuel pump, the computer, the headliner, and the steering/struts ... I just about have put as much in that 20 year old truck as it is worth ... but that's still only a year's worth of payments on a new truck!

Now I have a leak under the sink to contend with. I think it is because the to that "overflow"drain is hooked up wrong to that overflow drain/vent on top? When my neighbor helped install the new dishwasher, I thought he hooked it up backwards, but he insisted that was correct - now I am more convinced that it is wrong. I will join Johnny in the groan department - I detest working under the sink - too many things under there.

Daughter has left Sneeds Ferry with the two boys and is now at in-laws near Greenville, SC. Husband was told yesterday afternoon to vamoose from Lejeune so he finished putting up some plywood and was about 6 hours behind daughter. As of yesterday daughter sent a message showing a "You Are Here" photo app with the path of the storm right smack-dab where their house is! Their home is a quarter mile from a back bay, but not more than 10 feet (if that) above sea level.
I pray that that storm weakens or shifts direction before it reaches shore.

Terry - Thoughts and prayers continue.
Karl - Glad to see you are better!

Good morning. Looks like fall is making its entrance up here. 48 degrees with a high only in the mid 60's.

Terry - Hope you are in a safe area. I have been watching the news on the hurricane, and it does not look good. I have been through a couple while I was living in Florida and they can be devastating.

Willie
- Nice work on those signs. Excellent work.

Sherrel - The repairs are a lot better than a car payment. Although I can do a lot of repairs myself, we have for years been putting money aside into a "car repair" fund in case any major work comes up that I can't handle and now actually have enough put aside to pay cash for a new car. Unfortunately, or fortunately, there's nothing out there that I really would consider buying because of all of the "technology" that automakers are expecting buyers to embrace. I don't need it or like it. Now we can take some of the savings and use it elsewhere.

Have any of you noticed how advertisers have to get the work "technology" into their ads? Mops have technology. Paint has Technology. Feminine pads have technology. Everything has to have the word in their ads. I am trying my hardest to do with as little technology as I can. People can't think for themselves any more.

Here's a rail picture for today.

a.baa-railroad-tracks-in-the-mount.jpg

Later

CHET - It just dawned on me that the Sales Tax and License Fee on a "new" vehicle would cost more than I have spent as a total! I think I will keep it another 20 years.

We are a couple hundred miles from the coast, though we are expecting 60mph winds, and up to 14" of rain over the course of the storm.

Sherrel -We don't have any sales tax up here, but the cost of registration is based on the value of the vehicle. My 2005 Buick is now over 10 years old, and up here we can get permanent tags by paying for 2 years registration. I will also keep it and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Terry - Are you at a higher elevation. The amount of rains that they are predicting does not sound good.

We live in a city over 600' above sea level, and our house is almost at the top of a hill. I don't rhink flooding will be a problem, though wind blowing trees down in the yard, and onto power lines, will be more of a concern.

Jan - Nice to see you drop in. I was wondering where you went. Don't be a stranger. Post some of those slides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back