Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wud-jeu look at that!
When I was very young - I had an Allis Chalmers road grader that was the same color!
Hope you show us the finished version?

Got a question re the using of Indian Ink for weathering wood. I understand it gets thinned with isopropyl alcohol. What's a good ratio to start with as a test. Is it able to be used on raw plastic, or as a stain on acrylic paint. Purpose of use. I want to use it on some Intermountain flat cars with laser cut wooden decks (there are examples in the photo libraries) and also on the faux wooden plastic decks of the MTH ones to enhance the joints between planks.

Good morning gang
72 degrees, cooler today. Cooler, in the lower 80's. Come to think of it, I was cool in the lower 80s, til I got married the 1st time, LOLOLOL.
Critters are here too. Bambi and friends are thick as sqirrels, bear and coyote are spotted rarely, but more often every year. And to think, I'm less than an hour from the real jungle. (Baltimore)
T.G.I.F everyone!

Good morning Everybody!

Karl, my daughter told me barcs was full and when that happens they waive all adoption fees to make space for new arrivals. You never know how long it will last. Just saying :)

I just had a thought :) Think how much a city dog would love it out there in God's country.

I was going to post the obvious,
… you can have anything you want, but you better not take it from me...

But I had to throw this one in as well.
I like this and it gets so little play time by comparison.

My Sister use to tel me this song always reminded her of me...
people can change.

Now I have to go! see ya!

I was going to post the obvious,
… you can have anything you want, but you better not take it from me...

But I had to throw this one in as well.
I like this and it gets so little play time by comparison.

Poor Axl Rose, he's turning into Benny Hill. Musta been the drugs?

axl.jpg

Good morning everyone. 71 and cloudy. An overnight downpour left a little over a quarter inch of rain in our gauge. Rain today and tomorrow, then clearing up.

This bathroom remodel is neverending. Forget my comment yesterday about seeing a light at the end of the tunnel - it could indeed be an oncoming train. MOH doesn't like certain things about the placement of the new vanity, so she's making some changes that the work crew will have to implement today.

I finished some touchup painting on the Robert's Dry Goods DPM structure and did some scenicking. Not satisfied with some of the scenery so will scrap and redo this weekend.

Always enjoy the music conversations. I'm watching a youtube video of Steelheart (remember them?) doing I'll Never Let You Go.
. Their singer, Miljenko Matijevic (Croatian-American) - holy mackerel - how high can that guy sing? Listen especially to the last note of the song.

Then there's Tom Keifer and Cinderella. Talk about them some other time.

Have a good day everyone.

Johnny, I was never a fan of the power ballads the hair bands were so fond of. Although I must say those hair bands played what we would have called at the time 'kick ass rock and roll"
Note; Most of the music I post is best enjoyed with the video turned off.

Willie,
there is a question I don't know the answer to "what was the first power ballad?"

Any one familiar with this game? I love these adds on the bottom of the forum page.

1536324184510.png

About the product

• Exploit the economic opportunities of the United States in an extensive campaign, working your way step by step from coast to coast across this great continent.
  • Lead your Railway Empire to success by establishing a comprehensive rail network and optimizing transportation of passengers and goods.
  • Master challenges and objectives through a range of scenarios, or create your perfect railway network in construction mode without any financial pressure.
  • Over 40 historically accurate locomotives and more than 30 different wagons can be acquired over the course of the game.
  • Invest in over 300 new technologies across five different Eras to progress and maximize the potential of your rail Network.

Good Morning All. 73° and mostly cloudy. Still have thundershowers in the forecast for today, they came close yesterday several times. Minor sprinkles here prior to sunrise was just enough to wet the yard too much for proper mowing, even after the grocery/beer trek.
Out in the train shed yesterday, the odds & ends odyssey continued. It's a good thing as I am tying up a bunch of loose ends that I have allowed. I was able to finish painting almost a dozen figures that were in the queue, and hit them all with some Dull Coat before putting them in the "on deck" box. Emptied the RIP track by replacing the McHenry couplers on two freight cars. Always good to see that track empty. Cleaned up and vacuumed the next area to get scenery, again it is a simple but much larger area. It's a strip of plywood between the already ballasted main and the layout edge about three feet long and going from 2" to about 5" in width; I try to avoid having the main run exactly parallel to the edge. I was also able to do a bit more cleanup and painting on the rehab project, the old Walther's model called the "Gemini Building".

Johnny - "Paperless society" - That was the intent when our company first purchased computers in the mid-80's. Problem was that all of a sudden folks could produce endless reports at the touch of a keyboard, and did. When my boss realized that I could produce spreadsheets with Lotus 1, 2, 3, he asked for a one page scrap report for raw materials in our plant. Then he asked for enhancements (YTD, MTD, %'s etc), many times over until one day he admitted that he could no longer read it because I had to make the font so small in order to fit the one page format that he requested.
Regarding the building flats. If I remember correctly, when printed with "no scaling", they come out just right for HO. Many of them I reduce the scaling to make them smaller in order to add perspective to scenes.
Bathroom remodel - I told you so!:(
Garry - I also prefer the country life. I don't have a lake bordering my property, but I have one about 600' across the road. It's a Corp of Engineers flood control lake built back in the 50's. It's on private property but I have the owners permission to travel on it on foot - no hunting but fishing allowed. It does provide a great view.
Curt - Great to see you checking in. Continued prayers for your family.
Louis - First power ballad is generally considered the Styx song "Lady" in 1973. While some might say Led Zepplin's "Stairway to Heaven", it wasn't a true power ballad. Styx, Journey and REO Speedwagon really promoted them after 1975 or so.

Today is National Beer Lovers Day. If you indulge, hoist a few in honor of this great day. If you don't indulge, you're more wealthy than I am, but I'll have a few for you.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all. Now 75* and clear-will hit 90 and humid later, possible rain/TS later.
Re Burt Reynolds passing. I'm 82 . I think I'll wait for SHERREL to catch up.
Leak in kitchen worse than thought. Will not be useable for 2to3 more weeks. Insurance people already playing games.
Hope all in good spirits or ,better yet, Good spirits are in you.
Prayers for all,
Phil

Last edited:
Willie, I knew I would be surprised by the answer, thank you!

I can't say I ever heard a power ballad I liked. I would have guessed early 80s. Maybe by then the name power ballad was prominent enough for me to hear it. Then I had a name for those songs I don't like.

Everybody did one it seemed like. I can't say I heard a Motorhead power ballad or another kind of ballad!

Here is as Lemmy said "here's a slow one, so you can mellow out"

Good morning. A smokey start to the day at 55 degrees. The wind has the smoke fron the forest fires in California coming right in. Should get up into the low 80's this afternoon.

Ken - Like the little Alco. You'll have to post some photos of the finished unit.

Older than dirt ??? That's what my wife claims I am. She swears that I was first mate on Noahs Arc.

Curt - Thanks for the update and checking in. I am like you and hate to try to respond on a phone.

Terry - How is your wife doing? Well I hope. I still think deer are pests. They also seem to like suicide by car. They'll stand on the side of the road and wait for a car to jump out in front of.

Willie - I also like to keep the track running parallel to the edge of the layout. In some cases, there may be no option, but the majority of my track ing in the scenery, not in front of it.

Had a large number of visitors a the club yesterday keeping us on out toes. One member went and ran his ore train in the opposite direction than normal and had everyone diving into passing sidings. Makes for an interesting operating session. Sayw these running yesterday and at first wondered if they had escaped from Garrys layout.

20180906_133717.jpg

20180906_133640.jpg

Also was suprised to see a Kansas City Southern unit behind a BNSF unit leaving town when I was leaving the club. Not sure what it was, but I think it may have been an ES44AC. It was the first one I have seen up here.

I had a doggie stare down last evening. Hank perched himself on the arm of the couch and stared at me for over 15 minutes without moving waiting for me to put the empty ice cream bowl on the floor so he could lick out what was left. I think he may like vanilla ice cream better than bones.

20180906_183322.jpg

Tonight is the first night of our Friday night bowling league. Fun and games. I really hate the first few evenings as it does take a bit of time to get back into form. I guess I could have practiced a bit, but I really hate going into town. One of the women on the league has kept goats for years and now has a few miniature pigs. I will be going out to the apple tree in the front yard shortly to pick the apples which she says the pigs love. May as well let her have them instead of the deer who usually gobble them up.

Here's a rail picture for today.

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back