Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening. It's partly cloudy and 84.
Today turned into a crapshow at work. Insurance companies are refusing to write new policies because of the flooding from Florence, so nobody can take possession of a home, travel trailer, boat, or other insurable property. That isn't stopping our F&I department from continuing to make appointments for people to come in and buy trailers they can't take with them.They are very careful not to mention this fact until after the customer has signed all their paperwork, and submitted payment. At that time, the F&I manager breaks the bad news to them. There have been some unhappy customers over this.
The worst was today, where our sales department processed all the paperwork for the wrong trailer for a customer that lost their home in the storm, and was planning to live in the trailer while their house was repaired or replaced. After much screaming, cursing, and threatening, I was finally able to get the people calmed down enough to allow us to prepare the correct trailer for them. After doing all the work, installing a trailer hitch, orientation, test drive, and completing their paperwork, the F&I manager sprung the "I'm sorry, but you can't take the trailer, because you can't get insurance" story on them. I'm sure y'all know what the outcome of THAT was. Of course, the F&I department had all the paperwork signed, with the people contractually obligated to own this trailer that they can't take with them, and they're still homeless after spending $105,000.00 on a travel trailer. To say we have an unhappy set of customers would be the biggest understatement of the year. Of course, F&I has the people's money, so they don't care that the rest of the company has to deal with the consequences of this.

I hope your firm has bankruptcy contingency plans in place Terry. If that is not unethical behaviour by your F&I dept, I don't know what is. What an utter pack of total bastards to be treating people already suffering just to make money. They may have escaped the flood of water, but they'd better be ready for a flood of litigation. Of course the best way for the agrieved customers to handle this is not through lawyers but through TV channels. You might find lots of cameras outside tomorrow.

I hope your firm has bankruptcy contingency plans in place Terry. If that is not unethical behaviour by your F&I dept, I don't know what is. What an utter pack of total bastards to be treating people already suffering just to make money. They may have escaped the flood of water, but they'd better be ready for a flood of litigation. Of course the best way for the agrieved customers to handle this is not through lawyers but through TV channels. You might find lots of cameras outside tomorrow.
To me, a simple phone call before the appointed time letting the customer know about the situation would make all the difference. But, that's just me.

On the bright side, my son made it home today, and happily, his property suffered no damage, he has power and all is right with his world. He wisely stocked up at Costco before he left, so he has plenty of food for himself. Only 9½ hours travel time. I-95 was "mostly open from the Virginia Line to I-795 in Wilson (?).

Interesting story Terry. Yes, they should have notified potential customers of the problem, but the real villain(s), (as usual) are the Insurance Companies and their Agents. "Good Neighbor / On my side", my arse. Won't be long 'till the stories of how they are screwing over policyholders start coming out.

BTW: their is a banner ad, placed over your post, from "Small reptile" Insurance, selling motor home and travel trailer insurance....

Boris

On the bright side, my son made it home today, and happily, his property suffered no damage, he has power and all is right with his world. He wisely stocked up at Costco before he left, so he has plenty of food for himself. Only 9½ hours travel time. I-95 was "mostly open from the Virginia Line to I-795 in Wilson (?).

Interesting story Terry. Yes, they should have notified potential customers of the problem, but the real villain(s), (as usual) are the Insurance Companies and their Agents. "Good Neighbor / On my side", my arse. Won't be long 'till the stories of how they are screwing over policyholders start coming out.

BTW: their is a banner ad, placed over your post, from "Small reptile" Insurance, selling motor home and travel trailer insurance....

Boris
Snakes are reptiles...

To me, a simple phone call before the appointed time letting the customer know about the situation would make all the difference. But, that's just me.
That's what you call "Duty of care" These individuals are sadly lacking in that. Ripoff merchants is more apt. If there are not consumer laws against such sneaky, underhanded tactics, there needs to be.

That's what you call "Duty of care" These individuals are sadly lacking in that. Ripoff merchants is more apt. If there are not consumer laws against such sneaky, underhanded tactics, there needs to be.

We hear it every time there is a tragedy, or natural disaster that some scuzzy person, or persons are trying to profit off of other peoples misery. Its unconscionable!

Evening fellers! I know I've been quite the ghost lately. I'm still here. I'm just lurking. Have quite some heat here. Some 90+ degree days. Supposed to drop down into the 70s this weekend. Supposed to be in the 70s now but summer doesn't wanna give up just yet. I don't know if it's been discussed. CSX had a casualty from the hurricane. Involved was a former B&O GP40-2. Good news is the crew managed to get away with minor injuries. However this may have been the final run for the GP40. I'll try to make my presence known more often. Otherwise I'll just lurk in the shadows.

Speaking of Florence, I spoke to my sister in Wilmington today. Stuck at her BFs house, just got power back but cant go many places due to flooding. Eating tomato sandwiches tonight since you cant buy food anywhere. Stores and restaurants had to toss out tons of perishable foods. All the major roads are still flooded, and the intercoastal is closed, so you cant leave by land or sea! Its primitive as can be! They are pumping like crazy trying to get trucks rolling into town.

Howdy ...

Here is the train on display at the Historic Railpark in Bowling Green, KY .....

44069768224_ef9f706175_b.jpg

Good morning. It's cloudy-ish and 68.
Another customer scheduled to get P.O'ed today. Umm, I mean, there is a trailer scheduled for a demo and paper signing, without being able to take it with them.

Good morning everyone. 74 and sunny out there. Cool-down scheduled for this weekend.

Greg - Thanks for the information about ACT-6006. I'll look for some and give it a try.
Garry - The area sounds like fun and interesting to visit. We'll have to keep that in mind.
Terry - Regarding your F&I department's behavior - I've heard of "bait and switch," but "bait and rip off" is despicable, especially in the circumstances that your area is in right now.

All I got to do last evening was a little scenery. The poor layout must think the engineer died :confused: Need to get back to the modeling workbench and install the "glass" in the windows of the DPM building. Also need to design a sign for it.

Got a nice cup of coffee sitting here getting cold. See ya later. have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 46 degrees to start off the day with a high possibly getting up to 60 this afternoon.

Checking in quickly. My main computer had the hard drive take a dump yesterday.

Getting items together to head over to the club this afternoon. We'll be three people short today so things could get interesting.

Later

Good Morning Everyone. 73° and clear. Full day yesterday that went well, but I was a little sore in the end. Good night's sleep did wonders. Even went six hours before the first potty break. I used the table saw to cut 96 pieces of 4" x 96" strips for the "shiplap" wall covering in the next bathroom remodel, that I won't even start until late October. Never heard of "shiplap" for walls until my wife started talking about it a couple of months ago.
Looking at a change in the weather tomorrow with the high in the upper 70's and two days of predicted heavy thunderstorms. This will spell the end of pool season for sure.
Absolutely nothing to report from the train shed yesterday, as I didn't even go out there at all...a quite unusual day. I'll make up for it today after mowing some this morning, prior to the rain tomorrow.

Johnny - Enjoy the train show this weekend. If I remember from last time, they usually have a very good event.
Ray - I like the tale of the Prime Minister.
Curt - Looking forward to your return to the Coffee Shop. Have a safe trip; watch for puddles.
Greg - Thanks for the encouraging words regarding the fence. I enjoy the results a whole lot more than the process which is just too slow. I end up getting distracted when I step back for glue to dry and don't always return until the next day. I could probably learn how to tape and bed, just never had the need to. However learning on a ceiling just wouldn't utilize my labor very well. Especially with the expected shoulder, neck and arm soreness that would inevitably result. Very nice looking tunnel portal.
Terry - I see a TV camera crew at your employer's door very soon. Does the owner condone this practice. Of course some responsibility must be cast upon the insurance companies as well.
Joe - Very good news regarding your son's return home. He is among the fortunate few in that area.
Karl - Hopefully your sister can get some supplies soon. Fortunate to be safe and dry.

Everybody have a great day

I see a TV camera crew at your employer's door very soon. Does the owner condone this practice. Of course some responsibility must be cast upon the insurance companies as well.
If the insurance non-availablity was only discovered when, or after signing up the first customer, then, yes they also are complicit for not passing on that info, any selling and signing up after that is fully on the shoulders of the salesperson, or team manager. They must be fools if they really think there's not going to be a backlash coming their way. If this gets TV publicity, which it should (they usually love stories like this) it could severely impact future sales a darn sight more than any profit in the short term.

Morning Train People! Only supposed to be a high of 87 today. I am overdone with the heat this summer - ready for some coolness and would love to see one of Willie's TRW++!

TERRY - Is there not a "cooling off" time period on the sales?
Even after signing and paying - we had a 72 hour cancellation time that we could have backed out of the deal?

Daughter and Family will be gone until the 25th. At the moment they could not get home even if they wanted too!

Early afternoon fellers. I'm gonna share one of our casualties of the hurricane. Red Classic is another portion of Coke. This driver is really fortunate to have been pulling an empty trailer instead of a loaded one. He may not have made it out otherwise. This happened about 50 miles from Charlotte.
IMG_20180920_122132_01.jpg

[I said:
"tootnkumin, post: 441090, member: 4098"]If the insurance non-availablity was only discovered when, or after signing up the first customer, then, yes they also are complicit for not passing on that info, any selling and signing up after that is fully on the shoulders of the salesperson, or team manager. They must be fools if they really think there's not going to be a backlash coming their way.
[/I]

Two wrongs don't make a right.. Since insurance is mandatory in most states, the dealership is responsible for disclosure once they learn of the non-availability. The insurance companies are denying new coverage, solely, because they suffered a non related loss... This would also apply to anything defined as a motor vehicle. There is no real justification for this either...

I know that given the facts as presented, I would really be pissed about this. Then again, most dealerships are concerned only with the current deal, and not repeat business. I would imagine that folks who buy motor homes, hold on to them, so it's more important to close the current deal by hook or by crook, rather than building long term good will.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back