Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
This is the new place. Don't forget to wipe your feet and tip your servers. We'll be here until June 1, so try not to make too big a mess.

Looks as if I will be the first to join you?
Thanks, Terry.
Heading South in a couple hours ... bummer!

Some goings on later in the day.

Ahhhhh, fresh paint. Any decaf back there?
Getting my courage up to go to a dental appointment this afternoon to have a tooth drilled out for a crown.

Last edited:
Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. Might finish building a structure this morning haven't decided yet. I'll check back in later.

Good morning everyone. I'll join you at the table, but I need hi-test in my cup. And a couple of glazed doughnuts, too, please, Flo. 60 and partly sunny here in SW MO, heading for 80 today.

Not much to report from the train room. Got home a little late yesterday and did some yard work. that's about it. Got a vehicle from Amazon in the mail, will look for the right spot for it. I need a couple dozen more vehicles now that I have a lot of roadway and parking spaces glued down. Looking for 50's autos and trucks, cheap!! Should have the DPM printing business structure on the layout later this week. Not much left to do on it.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 68° and cloudy. New shop looks nice, I like the new sign as well. Thanks Terry. Looks like Sherrel already found the place.
A bit worn out this morning, after spending the entire day yesterday doing stuff outdoors. Mowed some, picked vegetables (beets and spinach), hoed and pulled weeds in the garden, spread mulch in the garden rows, removed the spent broccoli plants, started a new compost pile with stockpiled leaves and grass clippings from last fall, pruned a few more trees and hauled the prunings to the brush pile. I even dug out the weedeater and wound up a couple of spools of trimmer line; didn't use it yet though. For a change of pace today, I'll cut some more large branches into firewood for next winter. I will also pick the first green peas from the garden along with some more lettuce. I see small tomatoes on many vines. Looks like I'll be picking them by Memorial Day or sooner. Other than some cutworms on the initial planting of tomatoes, I haven't had to donate any produce to Mother Nature this season, yet! How did I do all of this when I still had a job?
Life got into the way of any substantial train activity yesterday, so I spent what little time that I had, sipping beer and perusing the latest issues of MR and Trains under a nice shade tree. Too bad that the pool is still too cold, that's two or three weeks away.

The tour continues... In the same town of Vernon that I have been posting, there are two bars, the first is Saulenas Tavern, a laser-cut kit from Bar Mills. I added interior lights and patrons/employees that are barely visible through the window in this shot.
04-29-18 003.JPG

On the South end of town is the Second Class Saloon, a plastic kit from Grandt Lines. This end of town is still under development.
04-29-18 011.JPG

At the other end of town is Uncle Louie's Cigar Shop, another Bar Mills laser-cut kit. I remember posting a picture or two of this last year sometime. The sheet metal structure pasted to the backdrop is one of the hundreds that Tomkat (the sign guy) posted here back in 2012. Need to continue the backdrop to the left.
04-29-18 005.JPG

Next door to Saulena's is Tina's Clock Shop. This is a re-purposed Walther's kit "Vic's Barber Shop". Walther's actually sold it with a different name about 30 years ago and it was originally a Magnuson Model. It was Don's something or other I think.
04-29-18 004.JPG

Thanks everyone for the comments on yesterday's postings; Chet, Curt, Greg, Sherrel and anyone else that commented

Chet - Excellent job on the lighting. Your townspeople can now feel safer going out at night.
Justin - Congratulations on the growing family.
Curt - Sorry that I can't make it over for the ribs.:( Maybe next time. Thanks for the update on Phil, I haven't been getting as many E-Mails from him lately. Regarding the pictures; I haven't really been holding out, just shy about posting pictures with dust and debris in them; which cannot really be seen with the naked eye. But after Sherrel let the cat out of the bag so to speak, I am just forging ahead. I'll get to rail-served industries soon.
Greg - Wow! Murphy left Terry's for a while to go with you. Is this a normal "re-opening" of the cabin? $250 to pump the tank? I am able to pump my own onto the hayfield (or roadside ditch) which I have to do after torrential rains. Submersible pump = $65.00. Of course I do not have to be concerned with freezing except for the outlet hose.
Johnny - Cheap HO vehicles is an oxymoron mostly.
Sherrel - Even though that scene is in front, I do have a few "hidden" scenes as well. Some are accidental as I ended placing something in front of it; some are intentional to get folks to look really hard. Did you see the nude sunbathers?

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning gang
Bright, sunny, and warm today. Started the month discontinuing my subscription to M.R. I cant see 45 bucks a year for a shrinking mag.......I'll keep my RMC. It's growing.

Good morning. we're at 37 degrees this morning. My rock is WET, not white. Rained most of he night with light drizzle this morning.

Francine and Flo, hope you like the new coffee shop. Black coffee and a sticky bun please.

Ken D&J - Come on man, the dentist won't kill you.
icon_lol.gif
I have actually fallen asleep during a root canal and a crown.

Willie - You sure got a lot of yard work done. I manage to get the tire with the new tube back on the tractor, but still have to change out the plow for the mowing deck. With the rain we got and some warmer temps in the forecast, the yard will need mowing soon. Like the photos. Nothing wrong with having a couple of bars in town. You are making some progress. I ordered some extension cables for the W/S led lighting and hoping that they arrive so I can use them over the weekend. Would like to get the lighting project complete.

Here's a rail photo for today.

4de92985ebbd7524b97c38ae2707f8b2.jpg

Later

Good Morning everyone....sunny and going to be unseasonably warm today in the 80's.

Off to the LHS for plaster cloth then work on my slide in landscape feature and weather another background building.

Willie: Nice taverns...what are their operating hours...just may stop for a couple. The $250/hr was Saturady labor rates...normal pumping charges are $90-125.00. The ice was a problem. Now I worry about the water lines running from the pump house to the cabin being filled and maybe running through the frozen grond. The sepic guy said not to worry. Back on Friday afternoon.

Ken D&J: I'm afraid of the dentist myself...lots of bad experiences, except for the time I had a root canal and the dentist was a young, drop dead beautiful 20 something.

Karl: Yes, MR magazine is shrinking and not much in the latest issue either. The articles no longer seem to be different either. Looked at some of my older issues and what a difference in content and size.

Chet: That photo of that cut reminds me of a place we rode our Gold Wing through in western Wisconsin near the Mississippi River. It was opened by Chinese labors and done by hand in the late 1800's.

I need a donut like a hole in my head. No coffee for years.

That's all folks.

Greg

###############

Good morning .....

yesterday was busy all day here, and bedtime became 1:00 am this morning.

Terry, .... thanks for stating the May thread. .... I missed recent posts in April, and will have to check back.

Chet .... Today's photo is good one ....

Willie .... The buildings in the photos you posted today look great.

Here is a close up of the saloon in my 1900 era scene. It looks like the daily supply of beer is being delivered. ...

40592937435_e9550a8c2a_b.jpg

Finished up a few chores around the house. I'm using up the last of my paid time off. I'll retire on 15 May and they will only pay me for 40 hours unused leave.
Gotta get cleaned up to go to the dentist now.

Terry: Thanks for the new digs. Can I get an espresso here?

Willie: Wow! You get more done in the morning than I do all day. Really like the new businesses. I think the Second Class Saloon would be my hangout.

Karl: Agree with the shrinking MR. I subscribed when I decided to start in the hobby and thought the subscription included the archives and videos, at least that is what I got from the blow-in card. Both required more money to view, meh! Model Railroad Hobbyist is still free and they have some good information for a beginner like myself.

Chet: Wet rock is better that a white rock any day. A moving rock is a real problem.

Bob: (From the previous Running Bear's) Yes, I made sure that I told them about the site. Can't wait for my finders fee.

Now that I have a finalized a track plan the work on designing my benchwork can start. That looks to be a chore in and of it's self. When I first got the idea to build a model railroad I had no idea of what that entailed. Looking forward there is construction, wiring, track laying, and a hundred other things that I don't know about. Love it!

Afternoon All,

Been a busy day with the volunteering, grocery shopping, ordering books from the library, and I ordered the materials from NESL for the freight house. I will still need to order roofing and inside details.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Survived the dentist. They will have the crown finished in a couple weeks.
Gotta put fresh oil in the lawn tractor and cut some of the grass this evening.

Karl: Agree with the shrinking MR. I subscribed when I decided to start in the hobby and thought the subscription included the archives and videos, at least that is what I got from the blow-in card. Both required more money to view, meh! Model Railroad Hobbyist is still free and they have some good information for a beginner like myself.

Sam MRH is free and full of good stuff. The only drawback I can find is that once I open it, I spend the rest of the night reading it. Paper mags in the "reading room" kind of have their own time limit. Plus the cord on the PC wont reach in there!!;)

Sam MRH is free and full of good stuff. The only drawback I can find is that once I open it, I spend the rest of the night reading it. Paper mags in the "reading room" kind of have their own time limit. Plus the cord on the PC wont reach in there!!;)
There are laptops, you know...

MRH is good enough that I haven't renewed my MR subscription. MR does have some good reads and good tips. Oh I almost forgot. As for my expected little one. It has the same due date as my birthday. Kinda creepy for reasons I won't get into details about but a great birthday present I must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back