Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, everybody getChet .... I like your photos of the NCL. The dinner train sounds like fun. I'd like to go on it.

Johnny .... Wow ... Your layout i looking great.

Willie .... Your additional photos of "Jack's" look good.

Joe ... Perhaps just scheduling a stress test is stressful enough.

Ken D&J ... It looks like your modules will be very secure for transport.

Mark D ... I will look forward to seeing the photo of the 4-6-2.

Curt ... Thanks for commenting on my photos.

Here are shots of a train headed west behind my 1900-era town. ... I repaired the Mantua 2-6-6-2 so it can work on this line. It resembles CB&Q locomotives built around 1905 which worked on branch lines in southwestern South Dakota for many years.

26079525988_4e6a2e856a_b.jpg

28172389159_31d49475ca_b.jpg

Now, it is time to clean up messes in the train room I made while working on my 1900-era project.

Garry: That's an interesting bit of information about the time period this 2-6-6-2 articulated loco was built as I was half considering picking one upbut thought it was a little too modern for my era but it would fit right in. In actuality I really the 2-4-4-2 but they are hard to find except in Brass. I had a chance years back when I bought the brass Mack Railbus as the guy also had a brass 2-4-4-2 but he said it didn't run right so I passed it up.

Good Morning Everyone. 29° and clear. Should stay above freezing until Sunday, high near 75° tomorrow - mid 60's til Sunday as well. Even though yesterday's high was only 53°, there was no wind and lots of sun thus making for a beautiful day. New crown install went OK yesterday, took about 40 minutes. Dentist guaranteed that this one won't break, I hope so (he hopes also) since he did this one for free due to the previous one breaking.

Thanks for the comments on "Jack's" junk yard, Garry, Joe, Chet, Sherrel, Curt, Trig, and anyone that I may have missed.
Out in the train shed, I cleared off the workbench which had 17 bottles of paint on it from painting all of those details all week long. I did keep a couple of them out to paint the workbench for "Jacks". I am also returning to that old Magnuson cement mixer that I started on a few weeks ago. It is completely assembled and is just awaiting paint and decals, which I hope are still good after 25 years. Just to kill a little time, I assembled an Accurail double-door boxcar kit that needed to be re-numbered. I purchased that kit at least 20 years ago while they still had "pegs" holding the trucks on. I did convert them as well as the coupler box covers to screws. I paid $7.19 for it when I bought it in the 90's sometime, I saw NIB on E-Bay yesterday for $12.50. What a missed opportunity!

Johnny - Vic's Barber Shop is a fine small kit. I actually have two of them, one that I built and painted myself, and another completed one that my LHS had on it's "consignment" table for $5. I'll try to get some pictures today.
Chet - I am going to use several of the Bar Mills kits, along with similar structures from J & L Innovative, American Model Builders and maybe Blair Line, to make a showcase small older village at eye level immediately inside the train shed door. I have posted some of the structures here over the last couple of years, but have not yet begun to do the village. You might remember the "Miracle Chair Co.", Amos General Store", Four Fingered Tony's Meats" and a recently repaired one called "Bruckner's Woodworking". I have a couple of others on the shelf that I still need to build. I am hoping to work this village into my construction plans before next fall.
Ken (D&J) - Looks like you're ready to go. Nice work on the construction of the traveling case, and the refurbishing of the modules. Now get back to thet bridge!:)
Karl - Still have gun racks in most pickups here in my part of TX. They're (students) no longer allowed to bring them into any school buildings any more. "Drive your tractor to school day" - never had that around here. But when I was in elementary school in the late 50's in New Orleans, there were several students that rode their horses to school every day. Nice helicopter.
Sherrel - You're welcome and a special thanks to you for your comment.
Justin - No need for the white jacket if you just take it slow and easy.

Johnny posted yesterday that he wasn't able to see the additional photos that I posted. I get "attachment xxxxx" when I view that page, so I will post them again today. To recap, these are pictures of the yard at "Jack's" junkyard.
View attachment 65163View attachment 65164
View attachment 65165
Painting these details was really enjoyable even though it was time consuming.

Everybody have a great day.
Willie

Willie Jack's junk yard is quite a scene. The junk/scrap casting are tedious to paint to paint alright but sure add to the scene. Did you scratch build the building, very appropriate with the tarpaper exterior!
I really like the way the sign on the fence is made to appear like it was applied when the boards were side-by-side but now split apart from shrinking due to drying out. I'd like to learn how you did that ?

Seeing Chet didn't include a rails pic in his last post, here's one from the state of South Australia, showing where all 3 of the gauges used by that state came together at the town of Gladstone

300px-Gladstone_Railyard_March_1986_002.jpg

3'6" narrow, 4'8.5" standard, and 5'3" broad.

Ray: That's some very interesting track work indeed
Good morning, everybody...

Toot
... Wow .... Talk about something difficult to keep track of .... That's some photo.

David Truss Rod .... Yes, I thought you had a good suggestion about having a track on the back side of the depot. So, I did it. Thanks.

Willie ... That building has a lot of character ..... Nice !

Justin ..... I have an important suggestion to you. You should have transition curves between the straight track and the curve track. This will greatly reduce derailments as trains enter curves. Think about driving your vehicle as you enter a curve. As your turn the steering wheel, the vehicle gradually changes from straight highway to curved highway. Real trains do the same thing because real tracks have transition curves. ..Again, this is important ! ... Google "Model Railroad transition curves", and you should find articles and videos to help. That is a reason why using flex track is a good idea. .... I believe you can do that with your track plan.

Garry: Glad you appreciated the suggestion, I feel fairly certain that's what was intended as my FSM John Allen Station has the same loading dock at the same height and the station platforms are the same height which matches perfectly with the height of either the old time
combines or box cars to make deliveries or pick-up goods to be delivered. I like the position of your loading ramp facing the platform end rathr than the station as mine is.
All your early scenes, buildings & bridges all look great!

Morning Everyone:
Weather is looking more like the beginning of summer already. Another 40* this morning going up to 84* they say (another repete from yesterday, Willie). The quote remains: "Dry conditions will continue".

Have to make something to take to our Bunco group Superbowl Party tomorrow. I will partake of the festivus, but could care less who wins - and as usual - will leave the room for the halftime show. I used to go outside and smoke, but don't do that anymore. Happened to park next to someone who was smoking yesterday; I just stood there for a minute thinking how wonderful the smoke smelled. Nope! I wouldn't go back to that for anything - happened to glance at the smoke rack in the grocery store and nearly fainted at the $7.95 a pack!

I'm just the opposite in the store - I go in with 5 things on my list and come out with a basket full! Can't help it - Everything just looks GOOD, lol.

I'm just really down in the dumps all last night and today thinking about Terry and his wife. Just really sad, and bad news. I just really hate that there has to be such things as this in the world that we live in. I wish that it were not so.

Good morning everyone. 18 and overcast here in SW MO, hitting 33 later. The winter storm mostly missed us, passed by to the south. We dodged the bullet on this one - a few icy spots on the way in to work, but nothing difficult.

Ken - that's a great video. What the heck is that building - - an aircraft hangar?

Nothing to report from the train room. Spent last evening working on taxes :mad:. Ran one train on the mainline one circuit, and that was it. Finished hanging curtains in Vic's Barbershop. Letting everything dry before putting the walls together.

That's it for now. Time for more coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning.
It's raining heavily and 42. I had to bail out my ark before I could use it to come to work.

Good Morning All. Looks to be 26° and partly cloudy here this morning. Well, the ice storm yesterday wasn't either a storm or ice. It barely sprinkled and some of that turned icy on the exposed metal surfaces outside, but my wife reports that the roads were safe. Forgot to mention that on the way home from the doctor Monday, I stopped by Home Depot and picked up the plywood and 1" x 4"'s that I need to complete the last 24' of upper deck benchwork. I also got several sheets of 3/16" sheathing to complete the backdrops (both levels) on the large double-sided u-shaped island. Weather should be nice enough in the next two days to set up the sawhorses outside and get to work, although it might be windy. Wind + plywood = trouble!
Meanwhile out in the train shed, I did nothing but run trains and prepare for the upcoming construction. You know it's not as easy moving a piece of plywood or sheathing around and through a room full of layout as it was when there was nothing in the room! It was also a sad day, as I used my last set of "original" P2K metal wheelsets on a freight car. In my opinion those are the very best looking metal wheels that ever hit the market. I have been using IM and KD for a few years now, and I saved the P2K's for special cars like tankers. The current "Protos" from Walther's are just too bright and shiny for me, and any car that I get with them has to have the "Blacken It" treatment before it hits the layout.

Garry - Normally detours around Interstate closures around here are not fun or easy, but they are available. This one was especially bad because the location was just past a bridge across a sizeable lake, and the alternate routes are few and quite a distance away. In this case there were four highway lanes and two express (pay) lanes closed during rush hour and all traffic was diverted onto a two/three lane service road for almost four miles that included local traffic lights.
Terry - Yeah! Got the same tsunami cancellation here as well, and we're 350 miles away and 900 ft above sea level! Continued prayers and best wishes for your wife's health.
Justin - That's really good news regarding the main line. Now get to work on those barriers. Prayers and best wishes for your Grandma as well.
Ken (D&J) - That's quite a modular setup. Thanks for the video, it was well done.
David - I did not scratch-build that structure, it is a Bar Mills kit. Regarding the sign on the fence, thanks for noticing it. I did that by rubbing a Bright Boy on the back of the paper sign until it was "onion-skin" thick, then I applied it to the fence with watered down Elmer's glue. Before it dried, I slit it between the boards with an Exacto knife.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. 35 degrees to start off the day. The weather guessers haven't done very good lately. We have been under either a winter weather advisory or a winter storm watch for the past week and all we got was probably an inch of snow. I have more faith in my weather rock.

2277196861_cb56200e6a_b.jpg

Ken D&J - Really enjoyed your video. Saw it last night on the phone but had to view it again on a large screen. Must have taken quite a while to edit, but well done. Guess operators have to be on their toes with the double crossings. (Liked the overhead shot) At the club in Livingston, they have a couple of hidden crossings and we have to pay a lot of attention to signals or there will be a wreck. Haven't seen one yet. Any happen there? Again, excellent work on the video.

Willie - We are warmer than you are. Want to borrow my rock? You are right about plywood in the wind. I can remember getting ready to sheet a roof and when the wind kicked up, it took an entire bunk of plywood off the rafters and scattered it out in a pasture. Be careful.

Here's a rail picture for today.

PC_Slideshow_002_0.jpg

Later

Morning All: Have not had much going on to rave about the past few days. Have to take the car for smog check this morning and have no idea how long that will take or how much it will cost me. The check engine light has been on for over six months due to something in the sensor system. My car guru has put the light out a couple times, but has not really dug into it. Hopefully he can get it to stay out long enough to pass the test without spending a fortune to correct. I just hope that it is not the catalytic converter. The car is 12 years old.
Went to Dr. with Spousal Unit yesterday - she had a 3pm appointment - we did not get back hope until after 6pm. She is having a fit with her knee and x-rays yesterday did not show anything out of wack so more tests are in order. Doctor sais that it is not her knee as her pain is all down her schin.

Ken D&J - that is some setup! Nice work on the video ... I am a sucker for bridges ... that scene with the locos crossing the bridges is awesome. Going to watch that a few more times.

I'm going to beat Chet to the track photo today:

crossing track (Large).JPG

Good morning all,

cloudy and 12 degrees to start the day. We had a couple of inches of fresh snow fall last night, and more to come in the next few days. None of the weather forecasters seem to know what’s in store, they have gotten temperatures so wrong this year!

Willie...... what kind of sheeting was that for your back drops? Are you using Masonite, and is that, or what is the favored product. This will be my first layout that I’m building that uses a backdrop.

Have a a safe wonderful day all!

Mike - I use something that is actually called "Underlayment" plywood. It's actually sheets that are 7/32" x 4' x 8' and smooth on each side. Since I drive a Honda Civic, I have Home Depot cut into equal strips of 16" x 8' so it fits in the car. That's actually the height that I use anyway. I simply paint it a light blue color and then use different shades of dark green along the bottom to simulate distant hills; and some very rough tree shapes. Nothing too detailed. Eventually I am going to learn how to paint some clouds on it, but that's not on the radar right now. In some areas, I have glued cut-out pictures of buildings on it. In rural scenes I paste foam clumps and lichen along the seam at the bottom.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Underla...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203183010-_-N

I'll try to remember to get a picture or two when I go out to the train shed later today.
Masonite is about the same price, but my local HD does not stock Masonite in the store.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie and Mike! Your choice of the underlayment plywood is actually a better choice. Easier to cut, paint, drill holes, and bend than Masonite - plus it is much lighter in weight.

Goof afternoon, 37° and foggy. We did not have any ice, but ten miles up the road, they did. ore rain and moderating temperatures are forecast, with a sudden drop tonight.

The Rapido RDC came in todays mail. Still in the packaging, but what I have observed, is fantastic. Photos and opinions later.

Curt: The interior details are fantastic. You are out doing yourself :)

Justin: Good to hear your track passed the SD7 test. That's progress.

KenVA: Nice video. That is quite a layout your club does.

Johnny: That building is called the Cow Palace, and is used for livestock exhibition during the State Fair. Works quite well as an exhibition center at other times.

Chet and Willie: Weather rocks work better :rolleyes:

Well it is good to pass the SD7 test. I couldn't run a complete loop with it on my last layout. So with that I have several loops under my belt with it. As do I with my C&O GP35. As of right now I only have one piece to adjust and it's a turnout. Shouldn't take much work to repair that.

Justin

Mike - I use something that is actually called "Underlayment" plywood. It's actually sheets that are 7/32" x 4' x 8' and smooth on each side. Since I drive a Honda Civic, I have Home Depot cut into equal strips of 16" x 8' so it fits in the car. That's actually the height that I use anyway. I simply paint it a light blue color and then use different shades of dark green along the bottom to simulate distant hills; and some very rough tree shapes. Nothing too detailed. Eventually I am going to learn how to paint some clouds on it, but that's not on the radar right now. In some areas, I have glued cut-out pictures of buildings on it. In rural scenes I paste foam clumps and lichen along the seam at the bottom.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Underla...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-203183010-_-N

I'll try to remember to get a picture or two when I go out to the train shed later today.
Masonite is about the same price, but my local HD does not stock Masonite in the store.

Willie

Willie - this sounds interesting. I've been thinking about masonite or something else for some backdrops, but 7/32" underlayment plywood sounds like a good deal. Reasonable price, too. So once you have it bent/curved to match the layout, how do you fasten it to the benchwork?

Bob. ... Patti’s fire was in the kitchen and offices above the kitchen. The news is preliminary, and they have not announced when they hope to open . I suspect they will be open before summer. ... We live south of Patti’s. We might be able to meet you there if you like. Also, feel free to schedule a visit here for a train layout tour. There are three train layouts here at the lake .

Garry, that is good news about Patti's. My wife likes to find an interesting place to visit and if it sounds like good food is involved, all the better. It is very kind of you to offer a visit to see your fantastic layout and I do appreciate the offer. If everything works out, my wife and I are more than anxious to take you up on your offer. Thank you, Bob.

Thanks Willie......that sounds like he ticket! I never thought of having them cut it either. I don’t have a vehicle that will haul a full sheet. So them cutting it for me would be a bonus. I had to cut my foam sheets in the parking lot to fit them in the wife’s SUV.

I appreciate the comments on the video from ya all.
There was only one collision at the diamonds which happened early Saturday morning. Typically the operators will put their trains in motion then go about doing other things. With this 4 diamond crossing's first appearance in the setup, the operators didn't consider collisions. I didn't see it happen b7t one if the members described it as quite unique. One train was already crossing the diamond when the second train sliced its way through. It hit a freight car and pushed it right out of the train and continued pushing it sideways down the track about 10 feet or so until the absent owner was alerted to stop his train. No real damage to the car or engine but the absent owner had sufficient razzing the rest of the day.
The Timonium Cow Palace is about 3 acres of concrete floor under a 30 foot roof. It's the fairgrounds were a different event is being conducted each weekend, from train shows, cattle shows, RV and yacht shows and even motorcycle shows.

Johnny, Mike - OK, I got some pictures of the underlayment (I call it sheathing) that I use. The first is a front view, next is a view from the rear. I have 2" x 2" posts that run from the framework of the lower level and protrude above the upper level by 16", just like the framing of a house. I attach the sheathing with drywall screws through holes that I drill through the backdrop. The screw heads can be easily covered with drywall patch or similar material and then painted. Even though there is 21" of separation between levels, the 16" height is adequate due to the 1" x 4" frame that supports the upper level...line of sight unless you are shorter than 5'.
02-07-18 002.JPG02-07-18 005.JPG
Next is a picture of an area that has been painted with just the sky and distant landscape, followed by a section that shows some rough trees and the ground cover at the lower seam; along with a tree or two that fit between the backdrop and siding that's there.
02-07-18 003.JPG02-07-18 001.JPG

I hope that this is a help to you.

Willie

Willie,

Thanks for the photos, your backdrop looks great! Looks like my Home Depot stocks plenty of this. A couple more questions.......When you attach with the drywall screws, do you counter sink them slightly? Also did you paint right on the sheathing, or did you primer it? Sorry, one more.....Did you just spackle the seams, or do you tape it like drywall to hide them?

Good evening y'all. Been trying to not float away all day. Don't know how much rain we got, but it was a lot. Thankfully, it didn't deter my local mail carrier from delivering my new diner today. I am very pleased with it. Since it has a full interior, I will only have to add a few details in the kitchen area. I will have to permanently mount the trucks so I can do away with the 2 columns that hold the screws for the trucks. Painting will be a challenge, as well as figuring out the best way to light it, but I'm looking forward to getting it assembled and mounted to a piece of track.
775abc673c692811423906bf269da7be.jpg
c98c66d0524f5e0f6be66844c9e376d8.jpg

Jesse

Garry, that is good news about Patti's. My wife likes to find an interesting place to visit and if it sounds like good food is involved, all the better. It is very kind of you to offer a visit to see your fantastic layout and I do appreciate the offer. If everything works out, my wife and I are more than anxious to take you up on your offer. Thank you, Bob.

Patti's has a website and a Facebook page. They will keep people informed. Here is the link to the website. https://www.pattis1880s.com ... The restaurant is vey well known. They serve 350,000 people annually while located in a small town with a population of 350. ... You may be interested in spending some time in Land Between the Lakes. https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us ..... There are some very good Kentucky State Resort Parks in this area, too. ... We live next to Lake Barkley.

Sherrel .... I have not forgotten you said you might travel to here also. Looking forward to that.

Other Coffee Shop patrons are welcome also.

Recently we talked about "floor models".... Here is my floor model after being repaired. ... SD9 # 346 fell off of the layout and onto the floor. Pieces went everywhere. I purchased Proto 2000 parts needed to get it running again. I could not get one step completely repaired. It is the step closest to the boxcar in the photo.

40110365291_701054fe05_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back