Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
This is the new place. Try to behave, all y'all remember what happened the last time...

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. Eric I am sorry for your loss. Dealing with a water outage at the moment. It's been out since yesterday. No idea what the deal is.

Justin

Good morning. Another mild morning in the 60s, but the rain that moved through overnight is going to make the temps drop again.

Jesse

Good morning, 56° and rain. Justin, enjoyed the WM Slide show. Recognized a few photos of WM in Baltimore, and Lurgan. The latest "Diesel Era" magazine arrived yesterday. Featured this issue were the Conrail fleet of C30-7As, also of interest a feature on UP Cabin cars, and Suzie Q Dash 8-40Bs.

Heard from Louis, yesterday. he's doing well and sez Hi! He is still moving, one truck load at a time, and drooling over the space he has for O-96 curves for his O Scale Zephyr. :)

Good morning everyone. 31 and clear here in SW MO, hitting 41 later today. Man, the winds just screamed through this part of the state up to 45mph last night - hard to sleep with that much noise. They've mostly died down now. Predicting upper 40s to 50s through the weekend.

Justin - Nice tribute they did to Western Maryland

As promised here are a couple of photos of the layout as it is now.

Here are two trains coming into Pine Valley Station - well, the steamer's coming into the station, the diesel is passing by.
TrainsComingIntoPineValleyStation.jpg

Never had this problem before - I was uploading another photo, tried 4 times and the forum said the "Upload Failed" every time. Anybody else having that problem?

Anyway, have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. A little cooler today at 30° and clear. Still supposed to get into the lower 60's again today without those 40 mph winds. It was a good day to catch up on household chores, sweeping and mopping the floors, cleaning the range etc. Going to pick up the wife's car and return the rental this morning; it's been in the body shop having damage from an anonymous parking lot incident being repaired. Good opportunity to return to the LHS to use my forgotten gift certificate since the body shop is within a few miles.
Out in the train shed, I continued on my latest structure build.
OK, I was intending to post some pictures but this website is down AGAIN! It hasn't happened to me in over a month, but it is this time of day always. I'll see what I can read from pages that I already opened while I am waiting.
All right the website is back on line. Here are a couple of pictures that I took of the construction progress.
01-22-18 003.JPG01-22-18 004.JPG

I mentioned the included details (and Curt posted as well), here they are, partially painted.
01-22-18 001.JPG

Terry - Thanks for opening the new shop. It isn't always easy figuring out those Roman numerals, despite the fact that I took two years of Latin in high school!
Eric - Condolences on the passing of your grandmother. She has entered a better life.
Johnny -
I haven't spent that much time on the floor in many years!!
Wait until you lose a small part under the layout or encounter a wiring snafu. Regarding the photos, try again now...see my problem described above.
Garry - I have used the tarpaper for roads for over 30 years. It quickly fades from deep black to a more acceptable shade of gray under any kind of light. It seems to stabilize after a few months. Natural weathering.
Chet - I hear you on gardening in your area. I have to deal with July-August when the heat (and sometimes drought) precludes growing anything but sweet potatoes and peanuts.
Sherrel - Regarding planting. You're in the same USDA planting zone that I am in. The seeds that I plant (selected vegetables only) in late-January will germinate and sprout when the soil temperature and moisture are ideal, sometimes a week, sometimes 18-20 days after planting. All will survive a light to moderate frost. I planted garlic last October and it has survived the recent single-digit nights.
David - You must be a happy camper now that you got the cell phone issues fixed.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie - nice photos of your latest structure. Do you use an airbrush?
Just tried to upload a photo again 3X, no luck. "Upload of the file failed"
Finally got the system to accept this photo below, but not the other photo I've been trying to upload - it won't let that one in for some reason.

This one is some landscaping outside of town. Making progress but nowhere near finished yet. A lake and river will be part of the landscape later on.
HillsOutsidePineValley.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Morn'in Everybody...Yep...It's a Bear Claw kind'a morning...And maybe Bacon & Eggs with a small side of Browns...

Willie...In Pix 1 & 2 ?...Are you going to 'Glaze' the Windows and for the Door/Windows did you inset those at all
or are the frames mounted flush to the face of the structure ?...I've never used these parts & pieces but it seems
many pix I see of structures the Windows & Doors are inset...I'm not so sure that's the way I'm going to go about
mounting those items...In my minds eye I see the 'Casings' being mounted flush on the Wall as adding a little bit
of extra visual dimension and depth...Yet another item for me to play with and test different methods...Trig

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning. 21 degrees with clear skies to start off the day. Terry, thanks for opening up the new shop. Coffee and a sweet roll please.

Eric - Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Condolences. I had my grandfather pass away here at out home at the age of 99 also.

Justin - Enjoyed the WM Tribute. Nice vintage photos. Liked the plan that Sherrel posted yesterday. Lots of possibilities there and the addition that Garry posted also gives you something to think about.

Curt -
Nice photo you posted last night.

Johnny - Excellent photos. The scenery is looking good. Keep posting the photos.

Willie - Nice photos of the build. Like all of the crates and barrels.

Here's a rail picture for today.

washout-train-tracks.jpg

Later

Morning All!
Say, I like the idea that Trig mentioned about breakfast - sounds good to me!

40 degrees to start my day - going up to 76 later on - my kind of winter. Report says "Dry conditions will continue".
Bright Blue Sky Outside - no white or grey showing!

I might actually get the Christmas Boxes, all 17 of them put back on the shelves in the garage today- whoops - the Spousal Unit has informed me that she has done away with 2 boxes -- YAY, RAH, RAY!

Thanks for that photo, Ken D&H, Think I will post it on Temecula Talk and get that forum stirred up again!

Willie - your latest build sure has lots of "stuff" -- looks nice! Thanks for the gardening info. I may try again this year to plant a few things?

Good morning . 67 and clear- should get up to 77 or so. Already on third cup of coffee
nothing scheduled for today just like every day.
Hope y'all have a good one,
Phil

Howdy ...

Some of you may have heard news of a school shooting in western Kentucky. The high school is in Benton which is about 25 miles from here. It is along US 68 about half way from here to Paducah. ..... Reports. There is one fatality (a student). There are several wounded. ... Shooter in custody. ...

Good morning America, how are ya? Went to work yesterday and the temperature was 57, coming home at 11:00 PM and it was 33 and spitting snow. Looking on the bright side, we're more than half way through meteorological winter (Dec-Feb)! On the darker side, I'm coming down with a bad cold and coughing a lot but can't get anything out. When I go to work, the smell of the coolant and oil from all the lathes seems to make it worse.

Sorry to hear of all the losses suffered by some of the members here.

Good morning America, how are ya? Went to work yesterday and the temperature was 57, coming home at 11:00 PM and it was 33 and spitting snow. Looking on the bright side, we're more than half way through meteorological winter (Dec-Feb)! On the darker side, I'm coming down with a bad cold and coughing a lot but can't get anything out. When I go to work, the smell of the coolant and oil from all the lathes seems to make it worse.

Sorry to hear of all the losses suffered by some of the members here.

BOB ... Get yourself some "NITETIME" .. cold and flu It's CVS equivalent of "Nyquill". It will do wonders for you! (does for me at least) The RED one is like a Cherry Cough Slurp.

Afternoon all. Lost another one today. Still looking for a passenger car to turn into a greasy spoon. Thought I had it but lost it (by $.50) on the last second. It's all good tho. If I wait long enough and have the patience, I may actually luck up and get a dining car instead.

Jesse

Afternoon all. Lost another one today. Still looking for a passenger car to turn into a greasy spoon. Thought I had it but lost it (by $.50) on the last second. It's all good tho. If I wait long enough and have the patience, I may actually luck up and get a dining car instead.

Jesse

thumbnail_20171230_124048.jpg

From Walthers and has an interior you can detail.

View attachment 65082

From Walthers and has an interior you can detail.
I like that, but it doesn't fit the theme I had in mind. One of my other hobbies is writing, so everything in my layout has a story. That's just kind of how my brain works. I'm looking for a rail car to use because it's a relic from an old fallen flag rail line and was converted by an enterprising entrepreneur. Haven't worked out all the other details yet. I do like that kit tho.

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back