Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
28279343_1389003311210129_6185639606925160762_n.jpg

Ok, skinned that cat! Its here !

Woo!!! All track is laid minus my yard and loadout tracks. I'd post a few pics of my progress. However my layout is a mess at the moments. Bent nails, bent used staples, old snap track, and cork pieces are everywhere. Soooooo.....I'll post pics when I get it all cleaned up. Be getting ready to start wiring it all up.

Justin

Chet: The owner of the appliance service company who does our service work told us that the new appliances, stove, dishwashers, laundry are not made as well as the older models. Maybe more features on the new ones, but no longevity. He said the engineers know what many cycles a dishwasher will last before a major break down happens. "Keep the wife happy".

Greg: That would be about 3½ years worth for the minor stuff to start breaking. like the upper dish rack brackets - all plastic. I ordered parts this morning to "Keep the wife happy". OTOH: Fifty bucks is a lot cheaper than another new one. :rolleyes:

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 49*F and foggy in my central MD neighborhood.

Geez, I feel like a kid in High Scholl who has a major homework assignment due in less than two weeks, and doesn't have any time to work on it. My 22yr-old daughter needs a new car [her current one is "in hospice"] so I've spent most of this weekend helping her shop for one at the various dealerships. As a consequence, much of the decluttering I had planned to do of the layout surface to prepare for the March 9 op session, didn't get done. I hope she finds a vehicle she likes pretty soon, time's a'wastin!

Justin, I really enjoyed that video of the home-painted C&O GP7 blue box unit - I also watched a few of the following ones in that series! As a teenager, I amassed quite a collection of blue box Geeps - only 3 of them powered, but a dozen more dummy units. I painted and decaled the shells in all the different C&O paint schemes I could find photos of [and they were MANY as I'm sure you know!] and since the shells jsut snapped-on/off, I would swap different ones out with the powered chassis' each week when I took them to run on the club layout. Damn, those were fun days...

Gotta hit the hay, 5:30am comes up awfully fast and I ain't retired yet!

Good morning gang
Thanks for the kind words on the new acquisition, will be getting a sound decoder real soon for it
But now its Monday
Time for w*rk :(
L8ter all!

Good morning. It's drizzling rain and 55.

The Post Office has struck again...
Somewhere in USPSland, there is a rare-and-becoming-rarer GN1000 decoder floating around. If anybody has a GN1000 GEVO decoder they aren't using, please let me know. I need one more to convert a Tower 55 GEVO from Digitrax (yech) sound to Tsunami.

55 and light rain here

Yes it is.... got the same over here

weather.jpg

What's the trick for multi quotes .... ??

Sunday, was wet but made the best of it....... did not matter I was in the garage. Once the pan was pulled, cleaned up everything, bottom end is clean. Castrol does a good job, cork gaskets for the side rails were installed. Installing the front seal ........ seal to big, and stopped the progress.

The timing cover is cast alum purchased from Summit, is different than the stock one found in the Felpro set. Long story short, searching Summits parts found they sell a gasket set for the cover.

All good ordered 2, one for the shelf, gathered up the tools, meaning placed in a nice pile on the floor, Pulled up a chair, coffee in hand, feet up on the tire and watched the grass grow the rain stuff does that don't-ch-know

1.jpg

Greg

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 44° here. For the second day in a row, there are wet kitty paw prints on the back porch instead of puddles. Expecting rain again tomorrow and Wednesday, but high temperatures will remain in the mid-60's for most of the next ten days. While it is still a bit mushy in places, I did manage to clear out some of the tree branches that fell during last week's ice storm. Moved them over next to the pile of brush where I will trim them up into usable firewood and "burn" scrap. There's still several broken branches entangled up in the tree that I will tackle once I finish with the ones underneath.
Out in the train shed, I continued work on Vulcan Manufacturing, but got interrupted by the urge to run some more trains in and out of the newest yard. Well that lasted the rest of my time out there!

Really slow here in the Coffee Shop yesterday, just one of those days I guess.
Sherrel -
I will be forced to take a nap, or I will be too tired to stay up once the sun goes down.
And what's wrong with that scenario? Regular day for me since I voluntarily get up at 0400...I like that time of day.
Ken (D&J) - Saw your tunnel video on another thread yesterday. Did you get your video editor working again?
Chet - I have indeed been spending much more time in the train shed in the last week, but I truly miss being outdoors. The 40 yard trek back and forth hardly counts! Got to be careful where I walk though, lest I pick up some mud...right now it's so wet that the most of the mud doesn't stick!
Interesting what you related about the LG dishwasher. I have an LG washing machine and a dryer that are both over 25 years old and work like a fine tuned clock. I'll have to remember what you said if I have to replace my 30 year old Maytag dishwasher. I have recently replaced the latch/handle, the keypad and the circuit board myself since it has performed so well until these parts finally wore out. I dislike buying new appliances.
Garry - Continue to have a safe trip.
Karl - That engine looks mighty fine there on the layout.
Justin - "One small step..."
Eric - Did you notice that we have a new member that hails from Woodstock GA, who visited the Coffee Shop yesterday? I know that Woodstock is in your neighborhood.

EDIT: Looks like he posted again this morning right after you and ahead of me. Greg is his name.
Well, everybody have a great day and a great week as well.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone. 34 and clear here in SW MO, heading for 62 today. Couple of sunny days on tap, then some rain, then back to sun. Feels great. I actually sat out in one of our backyard benches yesterday just to feel warmth!!

Willie - we have similar weather, just a day or so later than you. Went out to my rain gauge after the latest monsoon season and discovered that sometime during the winter that gauge developed a crack in the back of it, so rain's been leaking out all this time. have to go with the local tv station says: 8.6" for the week, with 2.8" from Friday noon to Saturday noon!! We're on a ridge so we don't have runoff problems either. Still, "Rain for sale. Rain for sale!"
Greg - welcome to the coffee shop. Have a cup and a few doughnuts :)
Eric - Great news on the job (and the free ride). Keep us posted how things are going.

Had our 1 1/2 year old granddaughter for a few hours yesterday. Hey, I'm doing my part in raising the next generation of model rr-ers! She loves to push the buttons on the control panel!!
Aria&GrandpaFeb2018.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Willie - the video editor is down hard. That video is only one of the clips I intended to use. There were several other clips from off the train that I wanted to blend with it. YouTube offers a very basic editor that allows you to trim the start and end of a clip, but once again, it's not accurate and only gives you approximate points of edit. My editor was able to edit at precise 1/60 of a second points. It's sorta like trying to do detailed painting using a roller brush.

Johnny and most everyone else ... we will gladly take all the "wetness" you want to shove this way. That one-day monsoon way back when is all we have had for the calendar year!
Another clear sky out there this morning, BUT, there is a storm warning tonight for the burn area around Santa Barbara - maybe some of it will reach us down here? Took the mutts to the dog park for a couple hours of "butt-sniffing" yesterday afternoon; they ran until their tongues were dragging the ground! Interesting to me is the fact that women are much more friendly than men are. The women are interacting with their dogs while the men are standing around interacting with their PCD's. We have truly descended into an oblivious society.

Spousal Unit has had MIL duty this weekend-Thursday till Monday, so better get the homestead picked up before noon.

Steelwheels GREG Your weather station looks interesting- What is the meaning of the "tall" white bar in the center on the bottom represent? Also, what is the difference under the temperature of the first two bars?

JOE I was lucky in one respect - I was just about to purchase both upper and lower racks at $109 each; I could have been out that cost as well as anew washer.

Good morning. Starting off at 27 degrees. The winter weather advisory has been extended and extended over the past four days with nothing. Still like my weather rock. It's right all of the time.

The race did get underway late yesterday so I did get to go down to the train room for a while and run some trains. Getting down the stairs was a lot harder the coming up. Still feeling the effects of the snowmobile outing.

Greg -
My friend who services appliances talked about appliances having a definite life span. They can predict how many cycles an appliance is good for. This way they can keep selling new ones. I will have to admit that older appliances are better built. We have a Kenmore Washer and dryer that are over 20 years old. All I have had to do is replace a heating element on the dryer and a timer knob on the washing machine. We have a chest freezer in the basement that is over 40 years old and still working just fine.

Willie - Keep dry out there. The reason we ended up with LG appliances is because of the fridge that my wife wanted with the freezer in a drawer on the bottom and the other features on it. The ice maker crapped out in less thab a week and was repaired at no charge. It has worked fine since. The stainless steel finishes are slightly different from brand to brand so we also went with an LG gas range and dish washer. The wife didn't really care for how difficult the washer was to program plus the lower dish rack was constantly falling off the track. Many colorful words were used on that dish washer. She really likes the Maytag as it is so much easier to use. The Maytag also was the only one that we found with stainless steel spray arms. All of the rest were plastic. The slightly different finish really isn't that noticeable because the appliances are not next to each other.

Johnny - Nice photo. Getting the youngster interested in trains? Great job.

Karl
- Like the sign on the furniture shop. That is one sweet looking locomotive.

Justin - Congrats on getting the track done. I'll be waiting to see some photos. The video you posted about remotoring old Athearn locomotives was interesting. After seeing it, I went down to the train room and found these two Gallatin Canyon & Western locomotives that I worked on over 25 years ago. These were done for a friend who had custom decals made and wanted to come up with a paint job for his locomotives. These were my first attempt at detailing and custom painting locomotives. The motors were replaced with NWSL can motors as all of my early Athearn locomotives were. The run almost as good as my Atlas Alco Kato drive locomotives run and happen ro run at almost the same speeds so they can by used in MU with them. A big thing back in to 80's was constant/reversing lighting. Everything was still DC back then, No DCC back then. I made my own diode bridges for just a few cents. Notice the class light lit on the F-7 behind the SD-9. The F-7 also has a cab interior. I used fiber optics to light them. After all these years they still glide silently around the layout.

20180225_130644.jpg

Ken in MD - Good luck on the car hunt. That can be a pain. I am glad that I have been run out of the market for a new car. Saves a lot of $$$. I am just not willing to pay for all of the technology that is now standard in almost all new cars. The touch screen infotainment system is my biggest pet peeve. I have no use or need for most of these features that manufacturers are expecting buyers to embrace.

Terry - It sounds like Murphy has move back in with you.

Here's a rail picture for today.

train-track-wide.jpg

Later.

Justin .. Nice looking work!

CHET.. Beautiful locos! How about a pic close up of the F7. That Yellow paint color and pattern could pass for a Frisco machine- just drop the "red" lining.

KARL- Purdy, Purdy ... that is a "beefy" 2=10=0! I thought you were referring to one of the smaller Russian models, that is a monster!

Sherrel - The color is gold, but is close to a Frisco paint job.

Justin - Looking good. You're on your way to getting trains running.

Justin .. Nice looking work!

CHET.. Beautiful locos! How about a pic close up of the F7. That Yellow paint color and pattern could pass for a Frisco machine- just drop the "red" lining.

KARL- Purdy, Purdy ... that is a "beefy" 2=10=0! I thought you were referring to one of the smaller Russian models, that is a monster!

Sherrel I've got a few "Russians" , might have to take a comparison shots, quite a difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back