Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone - Oops - totally forgot to mention the most fun thing I did over the weekend - - we had our 17-month old granddaughter spend Friday and Friday night with us. it was her first overnight away from mom and dad. What a riot - lot's of "Grandpa's hiding - can you find Grandpa?" Her first horsie-back ride, which she couldn't get enough of. Lots of book-reading. Lots of playing with toys. A couple of trips down to the train room to watch the trains and blow the horn. She never wondered where mom and dad were - she was having too much fun with Grandma and Grandpa. Saturday, when her mom and dad come over, she smiled real big and then ran right to Grandma!!

I haven't spent that much time on the floor in many years!! Almost Advil time!

We'll do it again next month - for TWO nights!!!!

Have a good day everyone.

Garry - It's an idea Willie posted a few weeks ago - using roofing felt for streets/roads on a layout. Thought I'd give it a try.

Sounds interesting .... I use cardboard which I paint with latex paint for roads. I weather them too.

Good morning. 21 degrees with clear skies to start off the day and we may get up above freezing.
Jim - Sweet rides. Like the Coronet.

Justin - Seems like you may be getting loser. There's never enough room for a layout. I think if I had an airplane hanger I would want some more room. When iot comes to ebay, I usually try to stay clear unless it is something that I can't find elsewhere. The opposite happened to me. Never got out bid on just a starting bid and ended up with a few items that I really didn't need, like the NP F-7 A&B units decorated for the North Coast Limited. Nice photos also.

Wondering what Ken D&J will be looking at this morning with the shut down.

Johnny - it really sounds like you're doing a fantastic job spoiling the granddaughter.

Willie - If we still had our garden, the location is currently under a couple of feet of snow.

Never even went down to the train room over the weekend. Removing the snow from the driveway kicked my butt Saturday. Normally I would plow with the tractor and then use the snow blower to clear the plowed snow out of the way, but it was a heavy wet snow. My neighbor has a 4 wheeler with a plow and he spent more time spinning his wheels than plowing. My little tractor would have probably done the same thing so I did the entire driveway with the snow blower.

My wife marked yesterday on the calendar because I voluntarily went to town during daylight hours to get a new pair of shoes. I just can't believe all of the traffic. Where did all of these people come from??????? Too late in life to pick up and move.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Wonderful-HD-Train-Track-Wallpaper.jpg

Later

I'm a contractor so the shutdown doesn't effect me. The money for my contract was placed on the barrell head a year ago. The money for the new contract has been transferred as well so that's good for the next year.
I thought traffic would be lighter this morning but it wasn't.
As far as work. I have assessments and support planning still in the pipeline. My government contact has already provided assignments for the time he may be off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trig: I use their products. The windows and doors are good castings and they have a lot to choose from.
Thank You...& Willie...For the comments regarding 'Tichy' parts & pieces...Seems like valuable resource for scratch
buildings...And where my model skills are concerned I need all the help (easy) I can get !!!...Trig :)

Good Late Morning Rail Benders! Flo - I'll have a cup of coffee and a couple them nice looking doughnuts this morning -- maybe some bacon and eggs in a few minutes, thank you.

35 degrees this morning - expect 69 for a high. Underground says that "dry conditions will continue"!
I guess they are correct- There is not a wisp of a cloud to be seen anywhere!

There was a HUGE discussion on 'Temecula Talk' (local facebook forum) - I laughed my butt off! It centered around "chemtrails"! -- You know them as contrails from high flying airplanes. I just want to stick my head in the sand at the absolutely stupidity of supposedly intelligent educated people who think that the government is spraying chemicals to control our minds! This thing went on for several hundred postings before the admin closed it to posting. A really funny post from one person said, "OK - You Flat Earth folks can join in at any time!"

It's too bad that I have not put a resource to work during my life that could have mad me a millionaire!
Both the teams that I wanted to advance to the Superbowl lost!
All anyone has to do is bet on the opposite team that I am routing for. I have not kept score, but I'm pretty sure that my record is less than 25% - and it's been that way all my life!

Justin, I have never seen - on any of your attempts- to have the load-out at an angle? Is there a reason that you want to keep the center open? I think being at an angle would give you the room to have a runaround for the locomotive. Am I wrong - not sure?

Willie - Blows my mind that you start planting this early in the year?
Shame on you for not getting a few pic of some of the layouts during the show?

Justin .... Looking through track plan books, I saw something to consider ..... This is from a 50 year old Kalmbach track planning book by John Armstrong. ... You can add about 6" to either side to get a small yard of only 2 tracks. . ... Sorry the scan is upside down, but you need not read the words to see what I am talking about..... I am not talking about the tracks on the middle of the layout; just the tracks at the edge. ... It would also give you the ability to add on an extension at either end some day.

39808295312_751464a16f.jpg

There was a HUGE discussion on 'Temecula Talk' (local facebook forum) - I laughed my butt off! It centered around "chemtrails"! -- You know them as contrails from high flying airplanes. I just want to stick my head in the sand at the absolutely stupidity of supposedly intelligent educated people who think that the government is spraying chemicals to control our minds!

Ya never know how true those stories about chemtrails ca be.

chemtrails switch.jpg

Justin .... Looking through track plan books, I saw something to consider ..... This is from a 50 year old Kalmbach track planning book by John Armstrong. ... You can add about 6" to either side to get a small yard of only 2 tracks. . ... Sorry the scan is upside down, but you need not read the words to see what I am talking about..... I am not talking about the tracks on the middle of the layout; just the tracks at the edge. ... It would also give you the ability to add on an extension at either end some day.

39808295312_751464a16f.jpg
Truth be told I never thought of that.....I've been so stuck on filling the sides of the layout. Come to think of it my initial idea was to model a branch line only and build it up towards a mainline. Or just one big branch line.

Justin

There was a HUGE discussion on 'Temecula Talk' (local facebook forum) - I laughed my butt off! It centered around "chemtrails"! -- You know them as contrails from high flying airplanes. I just want to stick my head in the sand at the absolutely stupidity of supposedly intelligent educated people who think that the government is spraying chemicals to control our minds!

Ya never know how true those stories about chemtrails can be.

View attachment 65063

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

High 70's today. I survived the flooring project yesterday. It took 9 hours to finish. I'm a little stiff today but not significantly. I did some chores earlier then dusted the layout and ran a merchandise train (LCL and TOFC) for about an hour while putting things away. I may have a visitor tomorrow (not sure yet) and if he shows up I will tell you about it. If not then I will continue on my build.

Eric- I am very sorry for your loss. I'm also glad you are meeting up with your old friends and acquaintances.

Terry- Nice video. I like the girder load.

Justin- I was thinking that if you can get a small curved T/O then you could at least have one track that would go straight thru the mine.

Willie- Nice looking building. I like all the castings.

Johnny- Sounds like a fun time.

Ken in VA- I think Sherrel secretly worked for the CIA spraying chemtrails on us for years.;)

20180122_114130.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Eric - Very sorry to hear of the loss of your granny. 99 years is a nice long life - I know you enjoyed having her around that long.

Sorry to hear that, ERIC!

On the other hand: We all should be so lucky!
You and I have been struggling along at the present.

Ken in VA- I think Sherrel secretly worked for the CIA spraying chemtrails on us for years.

Speaking of that, Curt, back in the 70's we had a 707 coming at us head-on 1000 feet below and leaving a beautiful 4 engine contrail must have been 30-40 miles long. A flight attendant happened to be in the cockpit just as he went below us; she very seriously asked, "Why aren't we making a tail like that?" The flight engineer asked her if she wanted him to open the upper escape hatch so she could look back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back