Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the frustrations of track planning is you learn you never have enough space to do all you want. So don't be discouraged. .. I was looking over track plans, and there are not many 4X8's in my books. Your plan here is as good as any of them .... I saw some 5x9 plans, and if you have room for that, you certainly could do a lot more. ... Another thought is to make it longer. If you could do a 4 x 10, which would have some possibilities. ...
You have two real options with a 4x8. You either do switching or continuous running. All the plans I stumbled on and looked at which is a bunch! They either have a lot of continuous running or a lot of switching. I've tried slicing it either way and I have been coming up short. I've noticed quite a few twice around layouts too. There's potential in them it's just getting to a point of how much of a sacrifice are you willing to make. In my case I resureccted my previous layout but added things to it I felt would benefit me operationally. Now with that being said. I only planned for engine service and not a full on yard. I can't justify it with what I have available. All things told on my last layout I did more continuous running than switching. I enjoyed switching but I really enjoyed just railfanning my trains as they went by.

Justin

The trouble with ebay Jesse, you really never know what the top bid of the winner was. All you see is how much he beat you by. You might have bid another $5 more and he might still have only beaten you by 50c.

The trouble with ebay Jesse, you really never know what the top bid of the winner was. All you see is how much he beat you by. You might have bid another $5 more and he might still have only beaten you by 50c.
Yep. But it's ok. I know how much I want to pay for an item and when to stop bidding (or not even start). The point of buying used is to spend less than buying new. I'm not going to break to the bank over something I don't need. I'll find other cars to bid on. I just can't justify spending $30+ on a single car that I don't even plan to put in a train.

Jesse

Saw in the January MR mag at the club the other day that Ertl had released 4 HO John Deer farm equipment models "available at your local JD dealer". We have one in town, so off I went. But no. They had the 1:64 models and other toy ones, but the lady in the parts dept told me they used to get supplied with them years ago, but none for a long time. Typical.

Other news (which you may know anyway), Rustoleum are doing Caterpillar yellow in a spray can.

Laptop updated today. Now I have crap in Lose 10 that won't even allow me to transfer pics to it. Going to try to move everything off that I don't want to lose and see if I can go back to a pre 10 version of Windows. I hate 10. My 8.1 was much better.

Jesse

Greetings All...

I'm very sorry to hear the bad news I've read in some previous posts...My Sincere Condolences...

Made some reasonable progress in the past few days...Got my Work Bench squared away which has been a mess for
quite some time...Made a little spray booth out of card board and got most of my piers cut & sprayed...So next on the
'To Do' list is to get my 2 short ramps built and if I stop thinking and get cutting/gluing & spraying I should have those
ready in the next few days...I believe I've been getting a little on the persnickety side of things...We'll see how it goes...

Another Question...RE: Model Building...As I've been looking around at MBKlein and others there are several names
that continually pop-up when searching for parts & pieces...One of them being 'Tichy Train Group'...Before I jump in
and start buying stuff are they a fairly common supplier you might use among others ???...Just seems every time I look
for Doors/Windows/Railings/Ladders etc. their name comes up more often than not...Any Thoughts ???

I'll have a progress shot(s) in a day or 2...Hope All's Well For Everyone !!!...Trig

By the way...Speaking of Tiny Cars...95% of all my Old Beauties will be 50 this year !!! :D
It's amazing the condition most of them are in considering how much they got used...Trig

DSC00699.JPG

Laptop updated today. Now I have crap in Lose 10 that won't even allow me to transfer pics to it. Going to try to move everything off that I don't want to lose and see if I can go back to a pre 10 version of Windows. I hate 10. My 8.1 was much better.

Jesse

There was an option when 10 was a free download to return to your previous OS within 30days IIRC. Whether that still applies, don't know. After that it removed the old OS.

By the way...Speaking of Tiny Cars...95% of all my Old Beauties will be 50 this year !!! :D
It's amazing the condition most of them are in considering how much they got used...Trig

View attachment 65059

So...we get to call you Rodman now, do we?

I've got a collection of the 1:64 Jada "D Rods" + these 2 I found on ebay. Pretty close to HO as well.
Hot Rod & VW rod 005.JPGHot Rod & VW rod 001.JPG

There was an option when 10 was a free download to return to your previous OS within 30days IIRC. Whether that still applies, don't know. After that it removed the old OS.
It's 14 days, now.
I also learned the hard way if you do roll back to the previous version, many of the apps and programs you had installed will not make the reverse transition. You'll need to re-install them.

Good morning. It's clear and 38. High is supposed to reach 60. It got up to 65 briefly yesterday, and most of the 7" of snow is now gone. There are a few places it's hanging on, where the snow was a little deeper, or it is shaded--but not many.

One of them being 'Tichy Train Group'...Before I jump in
and start buying stuff are they a fairly common supplier you might use among others ???.

Trig: I use their products. The windows and doors are good castings and they have a lot to choose from.

Good morning, 44° and cloudy.

All of the Christmas decorations are back in the storage loft of the garage until next year. The ladder is stored until spring, Now I have some workspace to build benchwork :)

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Only two pics to share today. These are from Ronceverte, WV. I did a lot of railfanning here. Actually got to talk to the Allegheny pusher crew who is stationed here a few years back. The depot itself still has a Chessie System logo on the door glass.
6fe119f810c321d2649b7c63afe137e3.jpg
57ed50c61871599e597b7782da35028d.jpg

Justin

Good morning, everyone. 40 and clear here in SW MO, heading just to 48 today. Got about 1" of rain overnight - didn't bother looking in the gauge, just taking the TV guy's word for it. Rain and maybe snow tonight, then 50s this week until the weekend, when it tanks.

Ken - Adding my condolences on your family loss.
Justin - great photos of those loadouts.
Willie - glad you had a good time at the Plano Train show. Our local MRA has two shows a year, too - next one is Mar 24. We always go 'cause i can usually score several freight cars and some scenery items. Hope last night's wild weather passed you by - we had a tornado warning 40 miles west of here, but that was about it, besides the rain and some high wind.

Still working on the tunnel and the layout expansion, plus still looking for a building site that will give me some roofing felt.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 38° and clear. Temperature has dropped 14° since I got up four hours ago. After reaching 72° the last two days, we're looking at 60-62° for the next ten days. This is the time of year when I have to start a fire in the wood-burning heater every evening and let it go out the next day. While it saves firewood, the downside is that the smoldering remnants produce a lot of creosote that collects in the chimney, thus reducing airflow and efficiency. After the current windy conditions abate either late today or tomorrow, I will be planting lettuce and spinach in the garden. As the weekend approaches, I will get to green peas and broccoli. Next week it's onions.
Out in the train shed, I started a new laser-cut wood kit from Bar Mills that I purchased Saturday when I made the visit to Discount Model Trains. This particular one is "Jack's Back Yard", a small salvage dealer. While small, it has some excellent detail parts. They're made out of some kind of plastic resin and they require no trimming of flash like the typical white metal ones do.
https://www.barmillsmodels.com/inde...mart&Itemid=999123&redirected=1&Itemid=999123
I was able to install the wall bracing, prime it and assemble the four walls before the lure of the throttle took over. I'll get some pictures over the next few days.

Justin - Just get on with it and start to put down some permanent track. There isn't much more that can be done with a 4' x 8' than a couple of ovals with a couple of spurs. Lots of small coal loaders are set up for "shoves" and not "drive-thrus". Unless you are able to expand right now to 5' x 9' or 4' x 10', you have hit the limit. Like I have suggested before and Terry reiterated, add switches in the corners for eventual expansion...looks like there might already be some in the picture in post #931. Use those spurs for small industries until you might be able to expand.
Jim - Beautiful cars there.
Terry - OK, nice looking Gevos...pulling 50's era boxcars! Just kidding of course, the goal is to have fun.
Trig - Nice looking cars there as well. I have used Tichy products for years.

After reading some of the more recent posts (and many others over the last two years), I'm glad that I stuck with Win7 instead of taking the freebie bait. Free ain't ever "free"!
Everyone have a great day and a great week.

Willie

Good morning .... We are having thunderstorms as the cold front moves eastward. ... The weather map shows the front currently is from Lake Michigan south through western Kentucky, and down to the Louisiana gulf coast. All of the snow and ice is gone.

Toot .... A hot rod collection. Nice.

Justin ... The Chessie locomotives in the photo look relatively new. Reminds me of when that paint scheme was applied to C&O and B&O units I saw when I was living in Michigan.

Johnny ..... Roofing felt ? I wonder what you are doing with that .

Cheers, everybody

Good morning .... We are having thunderstorms as the cold front moves eastward. ... The weather map shows the front currently is from Lake Michigan south through western Kentucky, and down to the Louisiana gulf coast. All of the snow and ice is gone.

Toot .... A hot rod collection. Nice.

Justin ... The Chessie locomotives in the photo look relatively new. Reminds me of when that paint scheme was applied to C&O and B&O units I saw when I was living in Michigan.

Johnny ..... Roofing felt ? I wonder what you are doing with that .

Cheers, everybody

Garry - It's an idea Willie posted a few weeks ago - using roofing felt for streets/roads on a layout. Thought I'd give it a try.

I suppose it is time to do up a permanent plan. Won't get to it today. I'll make some slight changes in the coming days. Mostly I'll change up the yard trackage. I can't really use a yard. I'll plan on adding where I can. It's a solid plan. At least I think so. I only have one last option I can use. So who knows.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back