Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 40° and cloudy. Looks like light rain might be on the way. We'll get some for sure since we postponed the grocery/beer trek from the usual Thursday morning to today! Yesterday was probably our last "fall" day with a high temp of 76°; the ten day outlook calls for 29° - 55° range for a while. Nice while it lasted. Went out to eat Italian food with another couple last night, and a gentleman sitting at the table next to us overheard me referring to this forum. Turns out that he is a modeler from Michigan who was in town to visit his grandson. While he was in the area, he made a two hour visit to Discount Model Trains in Addison/Dallas. They seem to be known quite a bit outside this area, like Tony's in MD. He is not on this forum, but is on several others. Small world. I'll remember his handle later maybe. My nephew's wife gave birth to twins yesterday, a boy/girl combo. Their grandpa's (my brother) birthday is today, quite the present. I think that makes them my grandniece and grandnephew???
Out in the train shed, I am taking a break from the small town that I am working on, modeler's block if you will, and looked at another place that still needs some work. On the lower deck, there is a mid-sized downtown which has a post that supports a part of the upper deck that still needs disguising. I got out my boxes of various DPM wall sections to see what I could do with them. The thought is a four (maybe five) story structure housing a moderate sized newspaper printing business. Other than cornices, looks like I can accomplish what I am after. I'll get them on the next trip to the LHS after Christmas. I was originally going to assemble Walther's Ashmore Hotel around this support post, but ended up putting it elsewhere in this particular scene...I posted that about 18 months ago. Progress reports will be sporadic.

Justin - That new benchwork design looks good. You're still young enough to tolerate a duckunder for many, many years. Actually many of us can still tolerate them, but just don't like to! The extra 2' on each side will allow for a lot more "running". $3.99 @ for flex isn't bad at all. That's about the best that I have seen in a while.
Greg - Extra locos? No such thing here. I buy two or four of all of them, but I also double-head all of my lash-ups for looks more than needing power. In the old days, I could purchase Athearn "dummies". Tough news regarding the leaky toilet. Good luck getting a repairman at this time of year. Wax seals aren't all that complicated to repair yourself, but are just a hassle. Where I live, I cannot even get a plumber in slow times for less that $212 for an hour long visit. So I learned to fix them years ago. My repairs are usually higher quality than a handyman, but probably not as good as a real plumber.
Chet - Things must have been really bad on the roads up there, if you expressed concern. I am reasonably sure that "other people" (newbies) is your greatest fear.
Johnny -
...found a couple of things my layout can't live without. Imagine that!!
Does it ever end?:cool:
Trig - Those pictures can be a real inspiration. It's too bad that some of those modelers are no longer with us for whatever reasons. I especially like the ones that the late Shamus posted.
Ken (D&J) - Interesting history of the club. Sounds like another thing to keep you busy during the impending retirement.

Merry Christmas and everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. 22 degrees with light snow to start off he day.

Toot - The politics with the model railroaders over there is almost as bad as out national politics here. Lotsa luck.

David (Trusssrod) If you want cold, come on up here. We should be in the negative temps in the next few days.

Terry - It seems that you always get the dirty end of the stick.

Willie - Sometimes it is good to move to another part of the layout when you are doing so much work in one spot. The diversion helps. So far as the drivers up here, the newbies are a big problem. Some of them don't have a clue about winter driving. They think that just because they have four wheel drive, they are invincible but they don't stop any better than granny 62 Rambler when the road are slick. They're also usually the first ones in the ditch. Going home the other day, I saw 8 slide in on a 12 mile trip.

Here's a rail picture for today.

railroad-tracks_00349041.jpg

Later

OK, OK, Enough of this Winter BS!
26* this morning -- saving grace is that the high will be 67* they say ... a 40* swing. This is the time of the year that we do get the large swings in temps during the day.

Spousal Unit is still asleep - she stays up later than I do - so I made coffee and came back upstairs where I have the "standby" ASUS connected which for some reason will not spell check. Has to be something that I did to it back aways.
The point is that looking out the front window I just saw a guy walk down the sidewalk with a shovel on his sholder! I can't wait to see his dog! (we have about two dozen people come down the street with dogs every morning. My two furies sit on a hassok with their noses pressed to the window and watching all the goings on. Whoops - there is a smart guy - Riding his bike with his dog running alongside - excellent!

I made the trip to the doctors - actually - to get the sonogram and CT scan done taking up more than half of the day stopping on the way home to grab a few things from the grocery. Wifeee made homemade new england clam chouder last evening and after my day of CA freeway driving - I fell asleep pretty soon after stuffing myself.

CHET - Must have been bad to keep you off the roads. A little rain around here adds to the excitement. CA people can't drive in the rain either ... wouldn't want to be out there with them in your condidions.

Couple other things I was going to comment on, but "information overload" has me stumped - Oh Yeah! TERRY - sorry you have to work! Invite the new customer to the festivies - then do the intro!

Good morning fellers. In regards to my plan. I only have one concern and that's cost. I have to figure out how much the costs will be. I like the plan. I've always liked the plan. Initially it was the build I wanted to do. Costs kept me from it and I settled on a 4x8. Which wasn't a bad layout until some time later. I'll be flexing it up this time so either way I'll win this one. $3.99 is the best I have ever seen for flextrack. $.99 for a piece of track as well. Bit more a piece of track than buying the sealed packages of track. At least I think...I really like my lhs. They will order me anything they don't have in stock. They still stock old Athearn bluebox parts!!! I'll be math on my plan and see how much I'll have to shell out to build my current plan. It'll be more than my 4x8 and I have to focus on bench work this time. This layout needs to be bulletproof! I intend to use a foam base as it matches in price of plywood and it'll be easier for me to work with. I wanna use a foam base for weight purposes. I really want to bring mountain railroading to life this time. I'm not going over a 2% grade. I refuse!!! This is a bigger layout and I want to run longer trains. They won't pull steep grades with a lot of hoppers in tow. That's why I added the 2 foot sections. I may do 4 foot sections. I can go both ways. Both are improvements to the original. My branch will be the most elevated and if I bring my mainline off the base I can attempt to do something there as well. I have a lot of ideas in my head right now. Some neat tricks to hide sections. I'm motivated for this.

Justin

Learned that the nephew and family were able to return to their still standing home last evening. I guess the fire came within about a mile or so of them? (not sure) Wife said that everything had a quarter inch of ash all over and the house really reeked of smoke. Guess I will find out more today.

TOOT I think that Karl may be paying you a visit before long. Maybe you can introduce him to the game?

JUSTIN - I am about as excited on your new build as you are. Just really take your time and not rush the fundamentals of a solid benchwork and flawless track.

One of the Christmas gifts I have asked for is a Soldering Station. I have no idea how it works or how good it is, but it was less than $40.00.
I have always used a Weller dual temp gun on everything. Anxious to try this "variable temp" station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Everyone:Cloudy and damp here in Wisconsin.

Chet/Sherrel:
Here in Wisconsin we can get a lot of snow some years. As the Ops Manager, I would supervise the snow removal contractor when we had a heavy snow since we had to have 80 acres plowed clear by 8:00 AM or so and the cost could climb to $30k for one night. I would leave the house at 1:00 AM and never have any traffic driving over roads that weren't plowed with 6+ inches of snow. Two wheel drive and only once in 39 years did I need a ride into the site. Never minded the drive no matter the conditions, but now I hate driving in snow with the other crazy drivers.

Willie: You're right all plumbers being busy until after Christmas, but will come out for over time dollars. Found one that will come to the house and charge $39.95 for a trip fee and then provide a firm quote for the work. I've replaced wax seals before, but this is an odd designed toilet that the Mrs. picked out and I don't want to break the bottom when tightening the bolts or by moving the toilet. (Broke one toilet before when I removed it for installing wallpaper.)

Getting old and calling a service guy suits me fine for a lot of jobs.

Justin: Watch the weekly EBay offerings at SouthsideTrains.com for track. What code are you using? Swap meets are another place to purchase track at discount prices.

An hour or so in the train room and it should be ready for visitors.

Worked on the broken window shade on my BNSF loco again yesterday. Added a drop or two of gap filling AC to the underside of the shade and that should hold it in place. The Mrs. found all my AC bottles in the refrigerator and put the five bottles in a plastic bag for me. Never knew I had that many bottles. Storing them in the refrigerator sure keeps the glue fresh.

That's all for now.

Greg

#################

Good Morning Everyone:Cloudy and damp here in Wisconsin.

Chet/Sherrel:
Here in Wisconsin we can get a lot of snow some years. As the Ops Manager, I would supervise the snow removal contractor when we had a heavy snow since we had to have 80 acres plowed clear by 8:00 AM or so and the cost could climb to $30k for one night. I would leave the house at 1:00 Am and never have any traffic driving over roads that weren't plowed with 6+ inches of snow. Two wheel drive and only once in 39 years did I need a ride into the site. Never minded the drive no matter the conditions, but now I hate driving in snow with the other crazy drivers.

Willie: You're right all plumbers are busy until after Christmas but will come out for over time dollars. Found one that will come to the house and charge $39.95 for a trip fee and then provide a firm quote for the work. I've replaced wax seals before, but this is an odd designed toilet that the Mrs picked out and I don't want to break the bottom when tightening the bolts or by moving the toilet. (Broke one toilet before when I removed it for installing wallpaper.)

Getting old and a call for a service guy suits me fine for a lot of jobs.

Justin: Watch the weekly EBay offerings at SouthsideTrains.com for track. What code are you using? Swap meets are another place to purchase track at discount prices.

An hour or so in the train room and it should be ready for visitors.

Worked on the broken window shade again yesterday. Added a drop or two of gap filling AC to the underside of the shade and that should hold it in place. The Mrs found all my AC bottles in the refrigerator and put the five bottles in a plastic bag for me. Never knew I had that many bottles. Storing them in the refrigerator sure keeps the glue fresh.

That's all for now.

Greg

#################
Greg I'm running code 100.

Justin

Good morning ....... I'll have coffee and Christmas cookies, please.

Heavy rain with possible flash flooding is forecasted to begin later today and continue through tomorrow in this region.

Justin ... You expressed concern about costs.... That is one reason why I recommend doing a little at a time.... Do a small area with what funds you have available. When additional funds are available, you can move on down the line to build more. ... Rome was not built in a day. I've been building my layout for 15 years, and I still have much to do.

Sherrel ... I'm not sure what your solder station looks like.

35698962642_967a816455_b.jpg

ahhh, over the hump, more sun every day. It's spring as far as I'm concerned.

VERY CHRISTMAS!

p.s. man this shingle pain just won't go away! Days go by and I think I'm over it, all of a sudden WHAP! SLIGHTLY less intense and less often but jeez loueez it's a nagger! Been last July since I felt strong and able, this really , really suks. Imma come out the other side of this an OLD MAN in more ways than one. Oh well, it happens if yer lucky...ain't we all just SO damned LUCKY? LOL

Justin - Looks like you are thinking through the new layout well. You are lucky to have a local hobby shop. Wish I had one. It seems that they are working well for you. The decision to use flex track is excellent. Make sure that you have a way to cut it. I have used a Dremmel tool with a cut off wheel and rail nippers. The LHS probably has rail nippers. They will give you a flush cut at the end of the rail. In fact, I should order another one, I think I've worn mine out. It has a lot of other uses also. Keeping your grade under 2% is also a good idea. It may take a longer run to gain height, but will let your locomotives pull more cars up the grade. My grades are a bit over two and a half percent, which I did on purpose to limit train lengths and also to require helpers for longer trains. Having my fleet of Atlas Alco units that all run at the same speed does make this very easy.

I can't respond to the use of foam. This method wasn't around when I built my layout and the olly advantage I can see is for making the layout lighter if it has to be moved such as with modular layouts. Still haven't figured that out. My choice is still a good sheet of plywood and the old cookie cutter construction. I like to have a hard surface to attach things to such as ground throws, switch machines, structures and such.

Garry has some good advice. Take small steps when you are building he layout. You don't have to complete it in a marathon. Work on one section at a time making sure that the track work i reliable without any problem areas before you move to the next.

Speaking of Garry - that's a neat photo. Hope you don't need an ark. Just be glad that it isn't snow.

Greg - Any way you can handle some plowing up here???? icon_lol.gif I'm running out of roo to plow snow. The driveway is getting narrower and narrower. May have to get the skid steer out if it keeps up. Have another 8 to 10 inches in the forecast.

Willie - About that CRS. I call it a win when I walk into the next room to get something and remember what I went in there for.

Later

Attachments

• t up.gif
    t up.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 370
Justin - Looks like you are thinking through the new layout well. You are lucky to have a local hobby shop. Wish I had one. It seems that they are working well for you. The decision to use flex track is excellent. Make sure that you have a way to cut it. I have used a Dremmel tool with a cut off wheel and rail nippers. The LHS probably has rail nippers. They will give you a flush cut at the end of the rail. In fact, I should order another one, I think I've worn mine out. It has a lot of other uses also. Keeping your grade under 2% is also a good idea. It may take a longer run to gain height, but will let your locomotives pull more cars up the grade. My grades are a bit over two and a half percent, which I did on purpose to limit train lengths and also to require helpers for longer trains. Having my fleet of Atlas Alco units that all run at the same speed does make this very easy.

I can't respond to the use of foam. This method wasn't around when I built my layout and the olly advantage I can see is for making the layout lighter if it has to be moved such as with modular layouts. Still haven't figured that out. My choice is still a good sheet of plywood and the old cookie cutter construction. I like to have a hard surface to attach things to such as ground throws, switch machines, structures and such.

Garry has some good advice. Take small steps when you are building he layout. You don't have to complete it in a marathon. Work on one section at a time making sure that the track work i reliable without any problem areas before you move to the next.

Speaking of Garry - that's a neat photo. Hope you don't need an ark. Just be glad that it isn't snow.

Greg - Any way you can handle some plowing up here???? View attachment 64258 I'm running out of roo to plow snow. The driveway is getting narrower and narrower. May have to get the skid steer out if it keeps up. Have another 8 to 10 inches in the forecast.

Willie - About that CRS. I call it a win when I walk into the next room to get something and remember what I went in there for.

Later
You know come to think of it. I'd rather have something solid to work off of. It's not a full on sheet of plywood. So weight should not play a big factor. I think plywood will be a proper approach to this.

Justin

The new table is expensive!!!! Lumber alone is going to run me $70+!!!! To think I built my 4x8 for like $35. That's double price for an added 3 feet....

Justin

Chet ... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Justin ..... I'll post some photos illustrating my layout construction... There really is no "right way" to do it, but this works for me.

I make a frame and install legs. The legs have leveling screws on the bottoms of them. The result is a "table" which may be screwed to the wall after I level the legs. It is screwed to a connecting table, too.

35590250312_46e79116b1_b.jpg

This photo shows some tables connected together to form what will support my reverse loops. In the background to the left, you can see how far I was with a completed section there. At this point it has two levels of track. The lower level goes to storage tracks. The upper level has the main line. I install any needed backdrops early in the previous, and usually keep the horizon higher than track level.

35590249282_596517ebd3_b.jpg

In the following photo, I have already completed lower level tracks going to storage tracks which has no scenery. ... I am installing tracks on the upper level. ... I use staples to hold the cork down. Before installing track, I hammer down tops of staples to be low enough. If I change my mind, I can easily pull up staples to move the cork roadbed. .... I use my homemade curve templates to get the correct radius. .... I hold track down with push pins while I align it. .... I work slowly to make sure there are no gaps at rail joiners. I make sure track is level with a straight edge on top of rails. ....

35412504390_1f72b42c05_b.jpg

Here is a photo of this location as it looks today..... You can look to the right of the photo and see where I changed my mind. Comparing with the prior phot, you can see I took out some roadbed before the final track was laid. This last photo was taken with a cell phone. The tracks go to the right towards Union Station which I built over the cabinets. Under Union Station are the storage tracks.

39194812552_b3cfe24db3_k.jpg

Justin: Don't forget about a Zona track saw. They work great, but I still prefer a Dremel tool over a rail saw or nippers. The plywood only needs to be a somewhat clear grade on one side to save money.

Chet: Once we used a commercial snow blower that was used for airport runways. Talk about moving snow. 10 feet wide and 8 feet high. Too dangerous to use around people. Used a lot of fuel too! ever see a snow melting machine? They are used at airports and in cities where transporting snow is hard to do. The melted snow goes down a storm drain.

Layout is ready for visitors.

The new carpeting gives the room a finished look. The black skirting hides all the items store below the layout.

Thanks.

Greg

Garry: Great professional job on building your bench work.

I also used staples to hold down my cork road bed in some areas and then track nail as an extra measure.

Greg

Garry - Thanks for posting the benchwork photos. That's pretty well the same way I built mine with the exception that most of mine is mounted on the wall. The 1x4's are exceptionally sturdy and it also makes putting risers for elevated track quite easy. I was looking for some photos but can't find any good ones.

IMAG0325_BURST002.jpg IMAG0326.jpg

These are as close as I can get, taken from about the same spot in both directions.

Greg -
I used to have a 48 inch snowblower that I mounted on the front of my old Ariens tractor. That thing was great. Where we live, you can see in the photos that there isn't much to cut the wind and we can get drifted in in short order. That thing could throw snow over 75 feet.I have a quarter mile to the county road and could have out lane cleaned out in about a half an hour. Also had a grading blade for it using a 3 point hitch along with a one bottom plow for the garden as well as a double extension rotor tiller and a 48" mowing deck. That old tractor worked 12 months out of the year. Unfortunately, after over 25 years of hard use, the motor died. Could see the bottom of the piston and the rod through the side of the block. Looked int a new motor and about had a stroke. It was a Kohler and there were only 2 motors that would work with the PTO drive layout. They wanted $2,000 for a short block. I managed to sell off the attachments and get enough to get the little Husqvarna tractor we have with the 48" mowing deck.

I hope JUSTIN is taking down notes. He is getting a lot of information thrown at him! All good.

I have not tried the rail nippers .. always just used my dremel.
Never used cork either ... used homosote for roadbed, but I had a Kadee spiker back then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back