Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening fellers and happy Thanksgiving. Did up some projects tonight. Built one of my space saver structures. And I painted the bright yellow door on the boxcar Garry sent to me awhile back. I figured I finally got C&O yellow might as well put it to good use. I think some dull coat will get it as close to spot on as I can get it. If not I already know UP armor yellow is a good match to the Athearn BB stuff.
c8eaf009ea3755c2a4db87ae31d25d67.jpg
f5ff5cf09fc6d09fa9706ff45beb9a34.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Thanks Giving Eve fellow Rail Benders & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo, Francine, Well you have Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner all trimmed for Turkey day tomorrow, looks great! He'd be proud, poor RR buddy passed on way too young at 52.

5:43 PM PST on November 22, 2017 (GMT -0800) |
75°F | 51°F
Currently 64°F - Feels like 64°F & Partly Cloudy;
Humidity is at 63%;
The wind is mild at 0.7 mph from the NW;
Wth wind gusts to 2.0 mph;
Tomorrow is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as today.
> > >

I wasn't expecting to get my Glucosamine, Choindroitn & MSM till after Turkey Day but low and behold, I went to let my cat in around 5:00 Am this morning, I usually go to the back porch door and call him but decided to go to the front door for a change and when I opened the storm door, there he was along with my order from Puritan's Pride. So I took a GC&M along with a B100 and orange juice and went back to bed. When I woke up around 9:15 Am I noticed that I didn't feel quite as stiff, which was a relief, so I took a second GC&M and had some breakfast. It was sure nice not to fee like the Rusty Tin man when I was moving around. That's not to say I don't still feel some of the creekyness or unsteady ness from not being sure if my movements were going to cause pain but at least it's taken the edge of things and that a very welcome relief, indeed!

= = = =

Good Morning All. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Weather Underground claims 34° about 6 miles south of here, but I've got 39° on my thermometer with perfectly clear skies today.

Remembering this day in 1963, I was in seventh grade in Dallas TX. We came in from outdoor recess and the TV was on and local newscaster Eddie Barker was about to hand over the reins to CBS national guy Walter Cronkite, reporting on the terrible news from our fair city. Interesting sidebar is that Walter came to our house with his nephew, my dad's boss, about six months later for cocktails (that's what they were called back then!). We reciprocated about four years later by visiting him at his house in Connecticut where his wife served us lunch.

Train layout-wise, I got out the brown paint and painted some bare plywood prior to adding ground cover, which I won't start to do until next week, but I needed to paint two small areas within the small town business district that I am working on. One is going to be a very small park and the other odd-shaped parcel at layouts edge is going to be a fenced-off, overgrown vacant lot; it is about the only thing that I could do with the spot. I'm looking at something like Lance Russworm did on his Bleeker Street area on his model railroad.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18983

Elsewhere on the layout, I rearranged some vehicles to allow the asphalt road to "age" more evenly! I also selected some more little people for inclusion in the area.

David - Good luck at the X-ray center today. Prayers that it is nothing serious with you.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie: Thanks for your thought about the X-Rays, as mentioned above if the GC&M keep improving my joints, as it did a few years back, I may not need to go for the X-Rays? Anyway, I did climb in my Eclipse and drive up there again like a dummy without calling first to see if they got the light they needed. When I got there I was told the part didn't come in so I needed to wait till Monday. Unfortunately they didn't call either to inform me not to come in. So the only thing I got out of the 24 mile round trip was that on the way back I stopped at a turnout area and took a shot of a hillside showing Lodge Pole Pines, with some dead as well as some Oaks a little lower. Actually, that's the spot where the Sierra Nat. Forest touches or comes closest to Hwy 41 at the Southern most point. It's also at the location where Coarsegold Creek crosses under Hwy 41 at it's Northern most point. This is about 5 miles North of the center of the little town of Coarsegold. I'd post a picture but need to find out how to resize it properly.

Thanks for posting the link to Lance Russworm's various layout shots. I'm not sure but suspect he models 'O' scale to be able to get the detail he does. I didn't see one shot of any loco's or train cars either.

Good Morning All,
Have the grand kids here today after spending the night. Daughter is having surgery on her right knee this morning. Last night my son and I took the oldest grandson (12) to the range. I had him shooting my .22 rifle (single shot) that I got as a kid. He did pretty well and I'm thinking seriously about passing it down to him for Christmas.

When I received the news about President Kennedy I was in class (2nd grade) and I remember a girl that had been in the office came back to the class crying. The whole school said a prayer for him, his family and our nation followed by a minute of silence. The next couple of days the entire nation was in mourning and glued to the TV or radio. It was another one of those moments that forever changed our country and probably not for the better.

The dryer is fixed. It turned out to be the thermal fuse and not the heating coil. The wife is happy, so by definition that means I'm happy.:rolleyes:

This is my next kit. I will probably start it Saturday or Sunday.

View attachment 63927

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt: Thank you for reminding me of the date of President John F. Kennedy's assination. I had was in Pearce Juinor College at the time after graduating High School at 17 & 1/2 yrs of age and didn't have any idea of where I was headed and walked out of a large lecture class. I decided I had no business being there and literally walked to my car got in it and turned on the radio only to shortly hear the news of the presidents assination. I walked back to the class which was still in instruction and announced in a somewhat loud voice that the President had just been assinated and was promptly told by the instructor I was disturbing the class and to leave saying he didn't believe me what I just said. So I left and was walking back to my car and the announcement came over the loud speakers throughout the campus.

I think your Grandson would really like a gift like that from you and probably one he hopefully would cherish his entire life!

RR talk:
Your new Water Tank can be made to look very nice by weathering the wood and then carefully painting the cable bands and
tightening blocks a rust color. The up rights of the base are generally very weathered as well unless this a brand new tank. As your well aware, anything to kill the scheen of the plastic makes it look so much more realistic.

Well, hell, CHET- She already has my heart.

Phil

Say Phill: Good God Man, no wonder you've had so many problems in the past. Doesn't Debbie raealize you need your heart to keep your blood circulating properly?? Tell her you want it back ASAP and be stern about it, too!

They will probably send you to a physical therapy type place to do some stretching and weigh lifting with your bad leg. I just finished up a couple months for a sore right hip. It's Arthritis setting in but it can be delayed with the right workout. I feel much better now and can actually jog about a mile now, where as before, 1/4 mile was the limit before the pain was just excruciating. i should be able to get back up to 2 1/2 to 3 miles by next summer.

Ken: I doubt seriously that I going to be doing any running in my immediate condition. Even after I get to feeling better I'm still not a jogger and wouldn't go for that. There's a saying that the sharp shooters in the military have, 'Run and you die Tired.' I'll take my time and exercise in other ways.

Good evening.

Still busy. Friend were here from Friday through tmyesterday. We made a trip to Nashville TN today and just returned. Tomorrow family members visit from OH and MI for the long thanksgiving weekend.

Have a good evening everybody.

Garry: Hope you enjoy your company but sure you'll be anxious to get back working on your layout. That's what I planning on doing in a few minutes.

Hope everyone has a very enjoyable Thanks Giving!
As an added tip: If you over eat and feel stuffed, eating some Citrus of one type or another will take the stuffed feeling away in a few minutes. Try it you'll be surprised how quick it works!

Good Thanksgiving Morning Everyone. 37° and mostly cloudy here today. Weather Bureau was predicting a freeze last night, but it doesn't appear that it will happen. Our average date for first freeze is November 22, so it is due anyway. It will be a great day weather-wise here, sunny with light southerly breezes and a high of 68°. Tomorrow 80° is the forecast high. As fate would have it, just before the holiday with lots of guests coming over, we had a toilet stop up in the main bathroom yesterday. Took several hours of on and off plunging to eventually get things flowing again, thankfully. No problem with the other one that is on the other side of the wall, fortunately for my wife, well fortunately for me in that I didn't have to hear her comment about it. Meanwhile I spent part of the morning chopping onions, green onions and celery for the cornbread dressing for today. I often wonder about the value of green onions in anything that is cooked, but I don't question it! House and kitchen is cleaned and ready to go now. Looking forward to an enjoyable Thanksgiving Day with our family. Some years I enjoy this day with my brothers and sisters and all of their extended immediate families, which now numbers at least 45 persons. As the patriarch of the family, I am usually tasked with the turkey carving, generally one of at least 25 pounds; it takes easily 20-30 minutes and a beer or two to complete. This year I only have to do it once at Christmas. Today I don't have to carve the whole thing.
Out in the train shed, about the only thing that I did was to clean loco wheels to ensure faultless operation today. Most didn't need it but it is an easy task with the Kadee Wheel Cleaner and is easy insurance for smooth running for guest viewing. Re-staged all locos and cabooses in the staging yards so they are all headed out. Grandkids prefer non-stop action or they easily lose interest. My granddaughter aged three, specifically told her parents that she wanted to see the trains. My grandsons ages 8 & 10, just want to see what I need for Christmas and then they will play with their electronic things until dinner. I even let them control them, but cannot maintain their interest for long, although the oldest is somewhat enthralled by the walk-around memory throttle.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

Willie

Ken: I doubt seriously that I going to be doing any running in my immediate condition. Even after I get to feeling better I'm still not a jogger and wouldn't go for that. There's a saying that the sharp shooters in the military have, 'Run and you die Tired.' I'll take my time and exercise in other ways.
Whoever said anything about running away from the enemy? The Marine Corps runs to the fight.

On the train front, a couple of weeks ago I saw a bargain on FeeBay, and picked it up. It's a Walthers Mainline Dash8-40B with factory Tsunami sound-- for $50 plus shipping. Total was $60. It was advertised as test run only, and it looks it. After I got it, I found out that while technically it might be a Tsunami sound decoder, almost every "extra" sound and option has been stripped out of it. The speaker made crackling noises, which was simply because it had been jostled loose. An easy fix. I can set the volume of the engine, horn, and bell, and set the acceleration/deceleration, and that's it. It has a horn, a bell, and motor noises that can't be altered. It has no other sounds. I can deal with this, for the price, because it runs extremely well, and the sounds that are there are very good and clear.
Something I have found disappointing is, it is supposed to be a basic model, which the modeler can add detail parts to as there needs and skill levels get better over time. One would think Walthers would offer those detail parts for additional cost. To date, I haven't found those parts. Specifically, the handrails and grabirons that have holes pre-drilled in the body for them... I would think having the parts readily available would encourage the new modeler to expand their skills, and promote that part of the hobby.
I will give Atlas a call on Monday, and see if they have any handrail/grabiron sets for their dash 8s, and hopefully they won't be too far off as far as mounting.. The handrails on the nose, in particular, stick out like a sore thumb by their absence. Especially since the holes are pre-drilled for them...

Okay, I just got a grabiron set off Feepay for $3, so I guess I shouldn't complain. With any luck, they'll match the holes.

Good morning and a HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all. 45 degrees when the little doxie woke us up at 0400 because she wanted to eat. Supposed to get up into the mid 50's later today.

Ken D&J - Marines never move in any direction other than forward.

Terry - I have all sorts of grab irons that I picked up years ago. If those don't fit the holes, let me know and maybe some of the ones I have will work. Nice buy.

Eric
- You're getting closer to getting back home. Hope things go well for you.

Garry - I'll take your word on the F-3. I can't argue with your statement.

David - Sure hope you can find some relief.

Willie
- Good thing you got the bathroom fixed. Like the scene on Lance's layout. Shouldn't be hard for you to come up with something similar. I had a small triangular Space too small to do much with so I planted a tree and put a couple of benches in for a small green area.

Curt -
Looking forward to seeing the completed water tower. You do some really nice work.

Yesterday I never got a chance to get on line. My computer at work took a dump. Our IT guy was there when I left Tuesday working on it and when I got in to work the next day, nothing but a blank screen. After twiddling my thumbs for a while, the driver for Home Depot called saying he would be at my place in a half hour to deliver the new dish washer. Good reason to take the rest of the day off. They hauled the old one off and then I got a refresher course on colorful language. Installing it wasn't too hard except working in the tight spaces under the washer hooking up the supply lines and drain line. Electrical was easy also, but with all of the sharp edges underneath, I think I lost a pint of blood. Looked like I was sorting wild cats by the time I got done.

The wife is in the kitchen now getting some cooking done to help my daughter who is hosting the turkey dinner. I have a feeling that I will most likely eat too much as I usually do on Thanksgiving.

One good thing that happened yesterday is that the wife brought home my Northern Pacific observation car. It is not a smooth side car like most of the train, but it does look a lot more like the cars that the NP ran. I was looking for a North Coast Limited decal to put on the rear, but couldn't find on. I do have an NP decal I can put there. It also looks like there should be a red light at the top on the rear. I was thinking about putting an LED there, but will most likely pass as the train will probably spend most of the time in the hidden staging tracks. I do like it better than the one that I had.

20171123_073904.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys a great meal with family and friends.

Later.

Good morning this Thanks Giving Day of 2017, to all you Rails Benders and Spike Drivers!,
Hi Flo, Francine, Wow two large size turkey's for a hungry group of Railroad Workers. You ladies are all right!

76°F Mudge Ranch Station Report
12:26 PM PST on November 23, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated 2 minutes ago
76°F High | 50°F Low;
71°F - Feels like 71°F & Sunny;
Humidity of 53%;
Winds are from the West at 1 mph with Gusts to 3 mph;
Today is forecast to be Much Cooler than yesterday.

Wishing the best Thanks Giving to All !

I watched Emperor of the North last night and saw that A#1 acquired a turkey for the boys at the Cottage Grove, Oregan HoBo camp so it must have been Thanks Giving there too! LoL

I have coffee brewing and may get into the train area for a bit before I head over to friends for a great Turkey Dinner.

Whoever said anything about running away from the enemy? The Marine Corps runs to the fight.

Say Ken: Being a DM I certainly wasn't in anyway implying running from the enemy, but stealthly finding a suitable hide to work from. My statement was meant more to say my joints were so creeky I sure couldn't do any running. My joints are feeling a bit better now, thank God, that I'm getting some GC&Msm to them.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY to one and all

Sherrel: Thanks, you too as well as a safe trip back home if you don't get lost too looking for the Dutchman's mine!

Good morning and a HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all. 45 degrees when the little doxie woke us up at 0400 because she wanted to eat. Supposed to get up into the mid 50's later today.

David - Sure hope you can find some relief.

I hope everyone enjoys a great meal with family and friends.
Later.

Say Chet: Thanks for the thought! Fortunately, even though it only a slight bit of relief the GC&Msm is enough to take the edge off my joint pain so I can move around a bit more comfortably which is certainly a bit of welcome relief from the rusty joint feeling, for sure!

Hope everyone had good Thanksgiving.
Mine was boring as all get out. I managed to score a ride to the beer store from none other than my brother's ex-wife. (can you say VERY easy on the eyes) I might be dis-owned if any family finds out. Nah, they wouldn't care.
Ironically she had the same observation about this town that I do. Nothing here. Nothing to do ever.
She wants to go places and do and see things. She said she feels displaced now although she grew up here. She says it's deader than it ever was. She's reading my mind.
Then we pass the local McDonalds - it was closed!

She said she had heard I was moving back to GA and didn't blame one little bit. She was having a tough time understanding me. It occurred to my speech is not very good at all but after some talker and concentration I'm able to get someone to understand. However, I need to get into the habit of carrying a small notepad and pen for those times when someone just can't get me or I just can't seem to speech proper enough. I seem to have a tough time with a hard G like game. My Rs sound more like Ws. I'll bet it wouldn't hurt if just and read aloud to myself.

Oh well......
I'll have another beer thank you very much!!!!
E.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Been busy at the workbench these last coupla days; I discovered on Tuesday morning that MBK had Walthers SW1's on sale and I've been wanting one ever since I learned that my original SW1 [from 1993] would need to have its frame milled in order to be DCC-compatible - forget that! The revised model just needs the front half of the body popped-open, pull off the 8-pin jumper, plug on a TCS DP2X decoder and you're good to go.

Here's a before-and-after pair of photos:

New_SW1_in_MILW.jpg
New_SW1_repainted.jpg

The Milwaukee colors made it very easy to repaint in my freelanced steel mill scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Been busy at the workbench these last coupla days; I discovered on Tuesday morning that MBK had Walthers SW1's on sale and I've been wanting one ever since I learned that my original SW1 [from 1993] would need to have its frame milled in order to be DCC-compatible - forget that! The revised model just needs the front half of the body popped-open, pull off the 8-pin jumper, plug on a TCS DP2X decoder and you're good to go.

Here's a before-and-after pair of photos:

New_SW1_in_MILW.jpg
New_SW1_repainted.jpg

The Milwaukee colors made it very easy to repaint in my freelanced steel mill scheme.

Yay! More switchers for the mill! :)

REDNECK THANKSGIVING

You Might Be a Redneck This Thanksgiving If...

... you've ever had Thanksgiving dinner on a ping-pong table.
... Thanksgiving dinner is squirrel and dumplings.
... you've ever reused a paper plate.
... if you have a complete set of salad bowls and they all say Cool Whip on the side.
... if you've ever used your ironing board as a buffet table.
... your turkey platter is an old hubcap.
... your best dishes have Dixie printed on them.
... your stuffing's secret ingredient comes from the bait shop.
... your only condiment on the dining room table is ketchup.
... side dishes include beef jerky and Moon Pies.
... you have to go outside to get something out of the 'fridge.
... the directions to your house include "turn off the paved road."
... you consider pork and beans to be a gourmet food.
... you have an Elvis Jell-o mold.
... your secret family recipe is illegal.
... you serve Vienna sausage as an appetizer.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is having a good Thanksgiving. Did some layout work yesterday. I'll work more on the layout later on today.
9aca182fb346c63da4d58e0d20f700e0.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Friday Morning All. 47° and clear to start today off. Haven't seen anyone else in the Coffee Shop this morning yet, I guess you all are out shopping! I still feel the full effects from overeating yesterday. I normally don't eat desserts, but one of my daughters made an absolutely delicious cherry-crumb pie that I had to have two pieces of. Today I need to exercise a bit extra. Maybe even walk to the mailbox and back, 2.25 miles. Both of the granddogs were over for the family visit, even though they live about three miles apart in a Dallas suburb, they have never met. Boy were they excited running around in the country with no fences to impede their dashes. They ran and played (i.e. chased cats) for hours. Unfortunately for them, cats can climb trees.
Out in the train shed, everything ran well but it was not a long excursion out there, Dads were interested in some of the newly completed scenes that they hadn't seen before, moms stayed in the house and drank wine.

Justin - What is that kit that you posted a picture of?
David - Bummer regarding the X-ray clinic, but at least you enjoyed the trip.
Terry - Interesting about the Dash8-40B. I purchased a new one when they came out many years ago and it had handrails and grabirons included.

OK, it has happened again, this website has gone offline once again around the same time in the morning as it usually does randomly.

Ken in MD - Nice job on the switcher.
Garry - Well, I only fit one qualification, "the directions to your house include "turn off the paved road." ", does that mean that I am a redneck?

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back