Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 18 degrees without fog to start the day off. The fog never burned off in the lower parts of the valley yesterday. Numerous flights were cancelled. Out little airport in Bozeman is the busiest airport in the state. On the way home, the fog cleared off a couple of miles from home. We are a a higher elevation. Nice to see the sun after a rather gloomy day.

The delivery services are really busy. I had a UPS package delivered at 7 PM last week and have see them and FedEx out and about as late as 8 PM.

Ken D&J - Like the locomotive. You did make Sherrel happy with the Cotton Belt shell. Nicely done. Like the progress in the intermodal yard.

Justin - I'm with you when it comes to Fridays. cheer.gif

Phones are starting to make noise. Here's a rail picture for today.

pictures-of-railroad-tracks11.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone. 33° and clear today. Spent the morning yesterday on the grocery/beer trek in Denton and after lunch/nap, I moved money around in various retirement accounts. They're making me lots of money on their own, but I am 75% in guaranteed...I moved about 4% into a more aggressive position in anticipation of tax cuts. Wife hates that! She freaks out when the overall accounts go down by $50, so I just don't tell her when they occasionally collectively lose $3K or so in a day. Usually makes it up and then some in a the next few days anyway lately. Gotta be prepared for losses as well as gains when you own mutual funds. Overall I've done remarkably well since the election last year.
Out in the train shed yesterday, well hell, I don't remember what I did besides run a few trains. Did do some cleaning and vacuuming until I got near the power switch!

Johnny - Belated Happy Anniversary to you and your wife. We just celebrated our 45th in September. Re. Shuffling buildings, I kind of like it! Like a jigsaw puzzle sometimes. I never had a full track plan to follow. I sort of knew what I wanted and just started laying track, I have made some rough sketches of areas but the final product was made by fitting and moving stuff. PM sent.
Chet - Those damn deer...why don't they use the "deer crossing" locations to cross the road? Then you would know where to watch. Like you, most of my industries were built or partially built before industrial trackage was positioned. Much of my layout is still bare wood with those industries in place, although I have finished many of the structures themselves. That way I can switch them all without the cardboard stand-ins that I have seen on other layouts. There are still about a dozen switches in place that don't lead to anything. Those I will use for future industries, many already purchased but not yet built. Re Preiser figures - In the 90's I purchased at least eight of the 120 unpainted figure sets and I spent many icy mornings at the dining room table painting them over the years. I have a whole bunch ready to go, but still have ~185 left to start with around 30 in process. Counting animals, there's at least 700 on the layout right now, supplanted with some more recent Woodland Scenics offerings.
Justin - Good to read that you dodged a bullet with the truck. There's such a feeling of helplessness when transportation is an issue. I get really frustrated because I don't know enough or have the right tools to do many repairs myself. Fortunately I have a very good "shade tree" mechanic that I use, I just have to get the vehicle over to him 17 miles away!
Curt - You're overfeeding your cows in the holding pens!:eek: Supposed to process them, not fatten them at the packing plant! Just kidding, of course.
Sherrel - Reusing the plywood is situation-specific. With proper and copious bracing, some types of warpage can be remedied. On a 2' x 4' piece, two 4' pieces and three 2' pieces of 1" x 4" can easily take care of it with 1/2" plywood, not 5/8" though. Although Justin indicated in a follow-up post that he wouldn't be doing that. On my own layout, I use 1/2" with 1" x 4" box frames underneath and have no measurable expansion/contraction, but I also don't have any major humidity problems.
Ken (D&J) - Been reading your construction thread as well as this one and I think that you're going to do real justice to that intermodal yard. Most folks don't have the right amount of room to make it realistic. I have personally visited the former ATSF (now BNSF) yard at Alliance and it is impressive. Toured it twice, once with the local modeling club and once with a third-party trucking company that our company was going to do business with.
Terry - My mailbox is over a mile away and I don't get any larger packages there, I have to drive 12 miles each way to the PO!. UPS and FedEx can find the road, but since neither me or any of the neighbors have #'s on our houses, anyone other than the regular drivers have issues. That and they never show up until after 6:00pm anyway. We regularly deliver to each other.
Bruce - Hope that you are feeling better soon.

Everybody have a great Friday.

Willie

Good Morning....cloudy and light snow later. Off for blood testing and then the barber shop.

The barber shop is a classic, men only type decorated in a 20's theme.

Bad news... Brother in Law died last Monday morning, the call came in at 3:00 AM. He was a lost soul living on the streets for a time and then my wife found him shelters to stay in to keep warm and dry. We been planning the services since Monday.

Not much time for model railroading. The family is coming over X-mas eve. A large party was planned for the 22nd, but is now cancelled.

Anyway, after the New Year's work in earnest on the layout and other projects.

Had a florescent fixture mounted in the ceiling, above my back bar have its lamps burn out yesterday. F30T12WC/RS is odd size lamps. No longer manufactured, but I found two in a hardware store in Sussex, Wisconsin. Not easy to reach but need to be changed. $8.99 each.

That's all for now.

Greg

Good Morning -- 41 degrees going up to 82 today, still no moisture in sight. Clear and calm here, but have not checked the fire
situation up along the coast up North.

About a half hour ago, the USPS guy showed up with a present I had purchased for my wife.
I guess they have to get an early start in order to misdeliver all those packages...

Had a USPS guy ring our doorbell at 7 AM Sunday morning - either he really started early or maybe was a holdover from the night before.

And running late too. 8 p.m.last night they delivered my garage door springs.

Funny - one showed up here last evening around 8 PM as well!

Greg - Sorry to hear about your loss.

Ditto, GARY, condolences!

JOE -- Pretty sad when two fire trucks run together - Blind Intersection?

Greg .... Very sorry to hear your news.

Joe ... You may have heard CSX stock is down about $4.00 / share this morning because CEO, Harrison Hunter, is taking a medical leave of absence.

Good God what does it take to get an honest answer?
I'm trying to get gas service hooked. Suppose to have been yesterday.
Now it's going to be Monday between 8 and 4.
guess I'll schedule to be home between the 1st and the 15th.
And what business is it of their's all of sudden if my water and electric is already hooked up?
They never did answer the question why no one showed up yesterday as originally promised.
Good thing I'm disabled and homebound huh?
I never go out for walks or anything right.
Yes, I'm a bit miffed.

Hmmmm.....noticed something out of the ordinary. My bronco is flinging grease out of my hub ends all over my rims.....I'd say my rubber seals on the hubs are faulty. Most likely means my issues is most likely stemming from lack of grease in the bearings. Dry bearings means big trouble. Looks like I'm doing so hub work again this weekend. All is well though. At least the problem has shown itself. It's sad I had to remove the center caps off the rims to find this. I didn't pay attention to the center caps when I pulled them. Probably full of grease!!!

Justin

Good God what does it take to get an honest answer?
I'm trying to get gas service hooked. Suppose to have been yesterday.
Now it's going to be Monday between 8 and 4.
guess I'll schedule to be home between the 1st and the 15th.
And what business is it of their's all of sudden if my water and electric is already hooked up?
They never did answer the question why no one showed up yesterday as originally promised.
Good thing I'm disabled and homebound huh?
I never go out for walks or anything right.
Yes, I'm a bit miffed.

Unless they un-installed the meter ... I might be tempted to grab a wrench and go turn on the gas?

Hello All...Just thought I'd pop in and say Hey...I've been reading a huge number of posts and watching several more vids
posted by several members...I caught myself still at it at 02:00 and didn't have a clue what time it was...eeeyyy...The Foam
Board I'm using as the top layer of my Train Board arrived yesterday and I've got several flavors of new wire coming in the
next few days...Test oval is already up and running and in the next few days I'll start methodically testing the switches...

I've gleaned so much valuable info in such a short time...This really is an amazing Forum and Treasure Trove of Help & Ideas...

Including 'Chet'...2 others members who's vids/pix I've seen are 'Eric': Central Midland & 'Lloyd': MHO Junction...Stunning !!!

I'll be float'in around and drop in every now and again...I'll throw up a pix when I've got my 'Clean Canvas' ready to go...Trig :D

That 'Eric' is me. Those videos are more for fun. Don't try to learn anything other than have fun and take an occassional drone flight as a break. Usually adult beverage was involved. Especially the one where I have on the Doctor Who bow tie.

David Banta I mentioned the other day has a number of videos.
He hasn't chimed in so I'll offer the link to his youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChIOAl4aYtSk3awwn0vR00g

LOL...I'm afraid It'll take a while before I get my Names & Avatars squared away...And Thanks for the link I'll have a look !!!
As to the learning from you...Well...As The Old Saying Goes..."That Train Has Already Left The Station"...:D...Thank You !!!

I've always been and continue to be 'Visually' oriented and just watching all that I've found is very educational...Now I have to
stare at some old PDF files I've dug up on the correct wiring of a 6600 Speed Controller...It'll All Come Back...I Hope !!!...Trig :)

LOL...I'm afraid It'll take a while before I get my Names & Avatars squared away...And Thanks for the link I'll have a look !!!
As to the learning from you...Well...As The Old Saying Goes..."That Train Has Already Left The Station"...:D...Thank You !!!

I've always been and continue to be 'Visually' oriented and just watching all that I've found is very educational...Now I have to
stare at some old PDF files I've dug up on the correct wiring of a 6600 Speed Controller...It'll All Come Back...I Hope !!!...Trig :)

You'll get to figure everyone out over time. No worry.
I'm guessing the 6600 you mention is a DC unit. I ran DC back when I was a kid. After returning to the craft some 30 something years later I decided to go with DCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back