Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this table idea. It allows me to get away from 18" curves and upgrade to 24" curves. I gain and lose at the same time. But I think I can pull this build off. If I don't build this I'll stick with the sacred sheet. Which doesn't bother me at all. I found some ways to run longer trains anyways just by modifying my layout slightly. I'll have take track notes so I know what went where. And adjust accordingly.
c3b06e1cc165399bd27a9d3e0d4e2f0f.jpg

Justin

Justin - Getting away from the old 4 x 8 sheet of plywood opens a lot of options to you. You mentioned not being able to run three axle truck diesels on your layout. Going to a larger radius curve will help a lot.

It doesn't have to be that printed layout, but you can use that plan as a starting point and come up with your own. Do go with flex track instead of sectional track.

WOW, Justin, I like that plan very well - if you could add a foot or two to that 7 foot length - the possibilities allow for lots more industries and such.

Justin ... That layout has a lot of fun possibilities. ... I have suggestion based on an idea I have seen elsewhere. You have a lot of coal traffic on you model railroad, and you may like this...... A layout is built with a divider in the middle. On one side is a coal mine and on the other side is a coal fired power plant. A train of loaded hoppers enters the power plant and passes through the divider to exit out of the coal mine to circle back to the power plant. In the opposite direction, a train of empty hopper cars enters the coal mine, passes through the divider, and exits out of the power plant. ... I hope I described that well enough so you can visualize it.

Justin - I don't know how much more room you are going to have if you rebuild. This looks like a really nice track plan for what you might be looking at doing. If you have more room, consider reusing some of the plywood from your present layout and lengthening the sides to get more running room. You would be surprised at what an extra foot or two (or more) would do. There's some good possibilities there. Lots of staging which could be extended. Put your mine in the upper inner RH corner and have a bit of a hill (mountain) next to it to separate the apartment blocks from the mine. Instead of apartment blocks, (might not be appropriate for the locale that you are modeling, those could be the block of buildings that you posted last month, or they could go into the space marked "downtown buildings". If you want the passenger station, there looks to be room on the other side next to the depot, especially if you are able to lengthen the sides. Lots of switching opportunities there as well. It will however require a duckunder which shouldn't be an issue for a youngster like yourself.
Good luck with your decision.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that plan also. I may use it to redo mine.
Unfortunately I'll have to ditch my mountain however.
I won't need to rebuild the table either. Just relay all new track is all.

Yeah no reusing the plywood....it has given me enough grief. I was thinking along the lines of using a foam base. Keep the weight down. I'll need more supports however. I found I may have brought about my own demise with the plywood. I could have possibly worked the warps out if I had added more supports to tack it down too. But my hurry hurt that idea. I'll have to make a mental note to take my time this go around. Flex track is going to be my friend. Even if a try to salvage the layout all straight sections and my problem spots are getting flexed. I can get code 100 flex track at my lhs for $3 a piece. I'm just tired of fighting all these rail joiners. I noticed too that some of my rail joiners as I was soldering points over this past weekend are really loose. Like they are floating. Can't have that. My athearns! Now that I'm thinking about it seem to have lube on the wheels. I haven't confirmed this but I will when I get a change. The wheels are gummed up. Which is odd as I had just cleaned them. I guess following the directions might have been a bad idea. But I'll soon find out if that is what the issue is.

Justin

As for plywood.... I was thinking that furniture/shelf grade stuff would be ok.
The stuff I have now I think is 5/8s. It was the decking from under my [former] king size water bed.
It was really rough but dam sturdy and combersome for me to man-handle.

Justin, if you want moveability, you can check 3/8" BC plywood, and glue a sheet of foam to the bottom of it. Use 1x3" GOOD quality boards for framing, and use deck screws to assemble the frame. Drill pilot holes before installing the screws.

I tend to go heavy duty on the benchwork. Less trouble later when it all starts to shift from humidity, and it will.

Finished installing the decoder in the SD40T-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RitTkpfIhKM

Also, got some blue foam board glued down to start the landscaping on one side of the intermodal yard. Have a few plates on it to hold it down for a day or so.

1214172102.jpg

Good evening, 19 and clear. Went out for a hair cut, topped for a bottle of brandy, then wandered around the mall. Not much else accomplished.

Curt: No, I didn't not know Bill had passed away. He had some interesting photos.

Chet and Garry: When that fire truck photo was taken, the pumper was still in service. The station had two fox front pumps, the 1938 in the photo, and a 1948. Both had chrome Roosters mounted atop the chrome globes on the pump. The one in the photo, incidentally, was wrecked in 1955 in a collision with another engine from another station. both were enroute to what turned out to be a false alarm. Three firefighters were killed, in the collision. Both the Fox, and the other pumper, a Mack were designed without side doors, in the space occupied by the Engineer, and the Officer, and the firefighters stood on the rear deck. After the incident, all new trucks were delivered with cab doors. later trucks were enclosed, and had seats for the entire crew, but that wasn't for another ten years. Fire Service was bound by tradition, restrained by cost and change came slowly.

Justin: If you have the space, expand beyond the scared 4x8. It's more fun, and you can be more creative. You have plenty of time to think it over, while you resolve your transportation issues.

Finally Friday!!! Good morning fellers. Cold start for me this morning. Still no clue on my truck as it drove fine last night. I would venture to guess I had one of those fluke episodes. I'll continue to monitor it. I had thought maybe repacking the bearings. Which wouldn't hurt. I'll figure something out I'm sure.

Justin

About a half hour ago, the USPS guy showed up with a present I had purchased for my wife.
I guess they have to get an early start in order to misdeliver all those packages...

About a half hour ago, the USPS guy showed up with a present I had purchased for my wife.
I guess they have to get an early start in order to misdeliver all those packages...

And running late too. 8 p.m.last night they delivered my garage door springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back