Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 degrees, clear, and calm ... going to be 80 today!

Turkey dinner last evening was great - I managed to eat too much!

Good Morning All,

Nice outside today. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be in the low 60's and the low I believe in the high 40's. I picked up the kit from from friend yesterday but I probably won't get started until after Thanksgiving. Today my mission is changing the heating element in the dryer. It died Friday night.

For the acid reflux sufferers out there what I do every night before bed is put a cap full (lid) of Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother (unrefined) with 5% Acidity into a juice glass, fill the glass about 25% with 100% apple juice and top the rest of the glass with water. In my experience it stops the reflux in about 99% of the time. If I still need help then I take a couple of antacids and I'm fine. Of course I'm not suggesting that those with Esophageal disease do this without consulting your doctor, but this is something that works very well for me.

VA Ken- Sorry to hear about your experiences with the VA. I know there are a lot of horror stories out there. In my case I really can't complain about the VA. They do a really good job here in Orlando.

Terry- I'm glad it wasn't anything serious about your new truck.

Joe/Willie- In my previous post I was talking about a non-VA doc that I used to have.

Justin- Nice Haul.

Chet- Great looking ABA consist.

Ken- Good to hear from you. I hope your health issues are nothing serious. I wonder if you are dealing with a a Hiatal Hernia?

Willie- It sounds like an interesting layout but that workbench would drive my OCD crazy.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Ken D&J and Ken in MD Several, if not most, of the symptoms you two have described is exactly what I was experiencing prior to my changing providers and finding out that I had Colon Cancer. The prior doctor kept treating me for indigestion and acid re-flux.
If you have not had a colonoscopy recently - it might be a good idea?

Spousal Unit and her sister at the Marine Ball in SFO with The Commandant of The Marine Corps ... Semper Fi!

Marine ball.jpg

Good Morning Everyone....Cool and sunny.

Toot: I really enjoy watching unit trains or just long trains in general. Bet it was fun running tha train with the five lead units. How long to set up that train?

Willie: Those pics sort of look like my work bench. Wiring utility poles really adds to a scene. Like you say, one problem is getting to rolling stock or track cleaning too, with the wires in place. I have enough Berkshire Junction "wire" to do my entire layout. Its a time consuming project.

Packer game next...see ya all.

Greg

Nexium was a miracle for me. I always suffered with a bad stomach since my youth, but about 18 years ago it got really bad. Had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. Turns out I had been suffering from a bad ulcer...two weeks on 2 antibiotics and nexium and i’ve Been great ever since. The really great thing was that within 48 hours of starting the treatment the pain was completely gone. Anyways they kept me on a 1tablet a day Nexium maintenance diet until my heart-attack 9 years later...had to go off it due to a conflict with my blood thinner. But I’m still ok even without it.

Howdy, everybody. ....

Very busy here continuing for another week. Guests from IL, OH, and MI are coming and going beginning a couple of days ago. Hard to keep up. ... Not much Model RR time. .. Not much computer time, either.

Hope all of you are well.

Greg
Toot: I really enjoy watching unit trains or just long trains in general. Bet it was fun running that train with the five lead units. How long to set up that train?

Took about an hour or hour and a half, but as there were a couple of other members also setting up longish trains, a bit of working around them. There is one track in the staging area that runs about 25' of that side of the layout, and I used that plus a couple of sidings in another yard around the corner, with which to get everything on. Then used another loco, to drag those out of those extra sidings onto the main, hook them together, then join them onto the tail end of the main consist.

Amazingly everything went very well for 2 runs around what's now known as the outer main with it's immediate exit spiral to gain height as the track leaves the main yard, then along the other side of the middle internal peninsular and up to the high point of the layout's turnback U turn, (from belly height to chin height overall) which from there involves a grade back down the other side of that to belly height again, around the next, at the bottom, U turn and up another climb of about half as steep a grade (this now bringing the train back onto the other side of the backdrop from staging). A quite challenging piece of trackage, because the locos were already climbing that last mentioned grade while the tail end was still coming around the return loop at the high point, with some cars still approaching it from the other side's grade.

After getting up that grade to a level about half way between the lowest an highest, the outer main (even though it is now inside the dividing backdrop) continues across to the inside of the peninsular on the far side of the room, where it then drops back down to lowest point again, travels to the end of that peninsular and around the U return at it's end and continues around the outside of the whole kit and caboodle to rejoin at staging.

Evening fellers. I hope everyone is well. Lubricated 3 of my locomotives. I officially have the most quiet BB locomotive I've ever heard. The LaBelle 106 lube is some good stuff! It made a huge difference without me so much as upgrading my wheels or officially hard wiring the motor. I had hoped to do some scenery today but I ran out of time and well I'll just have to wait until tomorrow. No need to rush it. Y'all have a great rest of the day.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Forum software won't let me post a plan of the club's layout, but this Y-tube vid taken at a UK day is quite good, if you ignore the assembled entourage's antics. Starts at the high "chin height" point (amply demonstrated) and follows the same direction I took, so, apart from mounting the camera behind??? the loco, ain't too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1pxuMrhyEY

... Ken- Good to hear from you. I hope your health issues are nothing serious. I wonder if you are dealing with a Hiatal Hernia?

Hadn't thought about that one Curt - I suspect that my treadmill running might have played a role in this[?] ~2 weeks ago, I started noticing a mild ache just below my right-side rib cage during a run. Didn't get too concerned about it since it wasn't the left side (a.k.a. possible heart attack). The discomfort abated some time after I finished running each evening. Then last Monday, the reflux started happening. Maybe my GI doc can shed some light on this...

Ken D&J and Ken in MD Several, if not most, of the symptoms you two have described is exactly what I was experiencing prior to my changing providers and finding out that I had Colon Cancer. The prior doctor kept treating me for indigestion and acid re-flux.
If you have not had a colonoscopy recently - it might be a good idea?
Not to worry Sherrell, I had one in August 2016 and several 4 years apart before that! I'm pretty sure this is a "top-end" problem.

Good morning Gandy Dancers and and Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo, Francine, How are you ladies here at Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner? Things seem a bit lively
How about a couple of scrambled eggs and a sauage paddy and some toast to start.

It's 57°F F & 65% Hum-i-dity per my cell phone weather App. Lets compare with W-Underground;
They say it 56°F Wells rd Station | Report
11:00 AM PST on November 19, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago;
Supposedly a High of 61°F & a Low of 44°F;
Currently56°F - Feels like 56°F and Fair with hazy skys;
Winds are from the South at .7mph with Gusts to 5 mph;
Today is forecast to be Cooler than yesterday.

It's cool enough with the high Humidity that I think I going to get a fire going in my fire place to help heat the house. I did step out side to gather some smaller wood. So now I think I'll post this first as I've tried at least three other times this morning and each time the computer hung-up for some reason? One of the cordless Mouse's rechargeable batteries was a bit low but still just barely good, may have been the problem [?], so I changed them out to new ones I found I had in my reloading room when I was helping a friend out yesterday. So far so good a the computer is going along fine. LoL, just give it a few moments more. Well lets hope not.

With all the prior talk about pain of one type or another, I'll mention that I put an order in with Puritan's Pride on a buy one - get two free sale of their brand which is good, for some Glucosamine & Choindroitn + MSM for my Knee and hip joints that have been causing me some difficulty. It's helped in the past and I think it should help again now. It should arrive this coming week I hope? I also ordered some B100 complex timed release as it seems I need an extra boost as I don't sleep very good with all the leg muscle and joint pain.

Garry/CBQ: I meant to post your Old Station picture, as far as a Town or Station Name, how about going with the name of the station George Selios gave it? Also, looking at the picture I'm wondering if a rail spur wouldn't do justice to the loading dock on the back side? The horse drawn wagons could back up to the end of the station platform where the ramp is. I put my station loading dock's ramp dropping down toward the the little station house as that's the way Georges plan and pictured showed it but yours makes more sense being closer to the end of the platform.

Sherrel: Was that the Turkey deep fried in Peanut Oil? That does sound Good ! Ok, which one of the ladies is your wife?

You fellows with the stomach problems, take head of what Sherrel says! I'm sure neither he nor I want to see you go through what he had to endure so hopefully when your checked out it won't prove out to be that bad. But if it should be, unfortunately, hopefully finding it soon enough they'll be able to correct it without surgery.

Curt: Glad to hear your doing ok now, your Apple Cider Vinegar and Mothers ? may help others too.

Justin: Label puts out good products alright, I also like the Light Teflon Gear Grease that Woodland Scenics sells which I use. Anyway glad it cleared up the problem you were having. A bit of lubrication grease goes a long way to stop the whining noise.

Ray/Aus: Your description of running the long train sounded very interesting. I'm going to watch the video you posted with the on-board camera as soon as I get a fire going.

Willie: The picture of the other fellows work table somewhat reminds me of mine. LoL Some of you may remember, several years back when we had the photo contest going, one of the pic ideas was to see who had the messiest work bench. I won, hands down!! LoL

Ken in MD: Glad to hear everything is going along Ok for you.

Sorry if I missed anyone. Hope all have a good night and day tomorrow.

Fire Time! Then dinner!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadn't thought about that one Curt - I suspect that my treadmill running might have played a role in this[?] ~2 weeks ago, I started noticing a mild ache just below my right-side rib cage during a run. Didn't get too concerned about it since it wasn't the left side (a.k.a. possible heart attack). The discomfort abated some time after I finished running each evening. Then last Monday, the reflux started happening. Maybe my GI doc can shed some light on this...

Not to worry Sherrell, I had one in August 2016 and several 4 years apart before that! I'm pretty sure this is a "top-end" problem.
Gall bladder?

What do we win if we guess right?
:)

This is a better vid, also starring UK trains, but at least they put the camera car on the front of the loco this time. Same direction but starting from staging. These UKer's like to operate their passenger equipment as though it's doing speed record attempts everytime, so going around corners and the spiral particularly, can be a bit giddying. This was done in 2012, so somewhat out of date. Changes have been made to the "main" line featured and the other tracks you can see below and in some places above it, are the secondary ones I referred to, now fully integrated into the whole, but still with there independent branch capability preserved. No-one has as yet done any vids of the interactions that can be had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmPoGiWljY&t=12s

Ok, thanks for the link about Nexium. I've been on that capsul for about 25 - 30 years now. I do have terrific acid reflux issues when I miss a day of it. Same with drinking coffee. I get pretty bad heart burn.
Sometimes a restaurant will pour me caffeinated coffee after I ask for decaf. The common thing is that they think I won't know the difference. Yeah, I can't tell which one it is when I'm drinking it but about 1/2 or so later I start getting the acid reflux issues. Next visit to that restaurant I'll tell the waitress of the previous meal there and that I tipped her well as I usually do despite her trying to teach me a lesson about the coffee. If ya do it again, I won't come back here anymore.

Good evening, hope everyone had a good Sunday. Between actually working on the model railroad, and watching Hockey, then the Saga of Oak Island on History Channel, I've had a full day.
Tomorrow, I have to do something about all the newly fallen leaves. Should be fun.

The leftover original parts :D

They won't be original parts, but you might be able to include them in a rocky scene. Something maybe that resembles something that emanated from a volcano.

When the pain grabs you just under the right side ribs, that even short breaths feels like a knife being jabbed and twisted and you can't straighten up from bending over, 10 to one it's Gall stones.

Oh yes. And Pray you don't pass any. Been told it's the closest a male will get to imitating childbirth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back