Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric - Happy to hear that you made it home. Must feel good. Get rid of the fleas and get settled in.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores and the oven heating element came in today so that's replaced and heating properly. MOH will be happy when she gets home. I built the base for the tank. I tried building it the same as the box picture but after about 30 minutes of wasted effort, I said the heck with it (and a few other words) and built it my way.

Eric- WooHoo. I know you are happy to be home.

Joe- The box will go in the mail tomorrow.

Justin- As several have mentioned soldering is the way to go.

Johnny- Sounds like a fun little excursion.

Willie- You have to give soccer players points for their acting and drama with their "severe injuries".

Chet- Better you than me (snow).

Sherrel- Congrats of your grandson's play.

20171204_144120.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ...

Curt .... Nice work there in your photo.

Eric .... It is good to hear you are back home. Maybe you can open a flea market. LOL ... Sad to hear a cat died while you were away. I bet there are more cats available there, however. ;)

Justin .... I replied to your PM.

------

Below is my birthday picnic scene. A Burlington commuter train is in the background. ... Do any of you recall Good Humor ice cream trucks such as the one in the foreground ?

38118107154_7ed3f13135_k.jpg

Our town was too small for a Good Humor man.
We did have two milk delivery trucks, from Hurr's Dairy. They were dark green and cream in color.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Eric – glad to see you made it safely home! Sorry to hear about the cat though. Hope you brought some of your Illinois coats with you, that Arctic air may be following you down there in another day or two: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/winters-revenge-arctic-plunge-to-bring-snow-opportunities-to-eastern-us-through-mid-december/70003445

Curt – your water tank base looks fantastic, just like the rest of the structure! Wood modeling is still beyond my modeling “pay grade” LOL.

Garry – excellent scene! I remember seeing the Good Humor truck and some cheap “wannabe’s” come thru my Michigan neighborhood during my childhood. Naturally my Mom would only give my sisters and me money to buy from the cheapies…

Justin – I see you’ve already gotten plenty of great advice on dealing with those dead spots, good luck with that.

Do any of y’all remember the following post I made early last week:
... tonight, there was a minor crisis – SWMBO made a mistake that may end up costing us several thousand $ if she doesn’t find a receipt that she misplaced. Been too busy turning the house upside down trying to find that little piece of paper…

…well, here’s the whole story behind it:

My 22yr-old daughter broke up with her fiance` [who lives in CA] ~ a week before Thanxgiving. Since she knew SWMBO was heading to the Post Office, she asked her to mail back the engagement ring. BIG mistake - apparently SWMBO isn’t accustomed to mailing valuable items, she sent it First Class!:confused: Then she just stuffed the receipt into her purse and forgot about it, and a few days later decided to clean out her purse [you probably already see where this is going…?]. A day or two after that, the ex-fiance` texts my daughter asking when he would receive the ring. That’s when SWMBO discovered that the receipt with the Tracking# on it was missing and we ransacked the entire house trying to find it, with my daughter and me being just barely able to suppress our anger at her foolish mistake [i.e., not sending the ring IN$URED via certified mail].

Well, the package itself finally came back to us today – SWMBO had misspelled the ex-fiance’s address. Now my daughter will re-send it herself via insured and registered mail. Lesson learned! None of us are sure what it would have cost SWMBO [and me] to pay to replace that ring [est. $4-5K:eek:] So, at least for now, my mrr budget is no longer on hold...

Curt: 1. Nice work on the water tower base. 2. I'll be on the lookout.

KenMD: That was scary, at least it worked out well.:rolleyes:

Eric: Nice to have you back in the Sunny South, just in time for a Cold wave!

Garry: Good Humor trucks avoided my old Neighborhood, too much competition. We had Mr. Softee, Sonny's Water ice, and the Breyers Cart by the Ship yard's main gate. Also Pappas Restaurant, on the other corner, served up cones of Borden's Ice Cream. Much to my mom's chagrin, I preferred the Water Ice :rolleyes: The scene with the Good Humor truck is real nice.

Good evening all you Gandy Dancers & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo, Francine, It seems things are fairly busy down here at Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner. How about some Coffee and a slice of Minced Meat Pie, if you have any? Oh, you do, great!

Per WU: 51°F Wells Rd. Station Report;
7:57 PM PST on December 4, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 34°F
51°F - Feels like 51°F, Clear, [It sure feels a lot Colder to me as my back porch inside temp read 48°F]
Winds from the ENE at 11 mph with Gusts up to 12 mph;
Humidity is 76%;
Tomorrow is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as today.

Nothing done on my layout today either although I thought about it, it just didn't happen. Maybe I'll have to start work nights on it?

Justin: As has been said by several guys, soldering your rail joiners to the rail is the quickest way to probably solve most of your problems if not all. Do you have a variable temperature soldering iron so you don't get things too hot yet get them hot enough so your solder flows freely and has a shiny smooth surface when it cools. I had problems in the past where my older solder iron wasn't getting hot enough causing cold/pimply solder joints that don't allow current to flow very easily either.

Johnny: Glad to hear that things are moving along for you.

Garry: Oh gosh yes I remember the Good Humor Creme truck that would come around playing the little jingle on those Hot Summer afternoons! You could hear him several blocks away.

...My 22yr-old daughter broke up with her fiance` [who lives in CA] ~ a week before Thanxgiving. Since she knew SWMBO was heading to the Post Office, she asked her to mail back the engagement ring. BIG mistake - apparently SWMBO isn’t accustomed to mailing valuable items, she sent it First Class!:confused: Then she just stuffed the receipt into her purse and forgot about it, and a few days later decided to clean out her purse [you probably already see where this is going…?]. A day or two after that, the ex-fiance` texts my daughter asking when he would receive the ring. That’s when SWMBO discovered that the receipt with the Tracking# on it was missing and we ransacked the entire house trying to find it, with my daughter and me being just barely able to suppress our anger at her foolish mistake [i.e., not sending the ring IN$URED via certified mail].

Well, the package itself finally came back to us today – SWMBO had misspelled the ex-fiance’s address. Now my daughter will re-send it herself via insured and registered mail. Lesson learned! None of us are sure what it would have cost SWMBO [and me] to pay to replace that ring [est. $4-5K:eek:] So, at least for now, my mrr budget is no longer on hold...

Wow, you dodged the bullet on that one. If it had been delivered to another address, they would have had no obligation to return it.

Say Louis: Your welcome, I didn't know you actually bought another house already. Yah, moving is a real joy but also a PIA till you get settled with things arranged. Inventories have a habit of hiding or compressing things to fool you! Lol

David, forgive me for taking so long to reply. I saw your post, but have not had time to reply, until now.

I will be settling on the house on December 11th. Moving is probably the worst thing I can think of doing, but it has it's upside. Once I am settled in I will have more room for trains! My wife and I both love the house, yard and the area it is in. It's only 2 blocks south of here.

You hit the nail on the head! My inventory compressed everything into a few pages, completely fooling me as to how much I really have.

Good morning everyone. 31 and dark outside. Will get up to 45 today, then 20's every night this week. The rain event last night was short-lived and didn't amount to a hill of beans - just enough to moisten the yard. We need more rain!!

Eric - Hooray! Glad you're back home! Sorry to hear of the condition of the house and the loss of one cat. But you're back. Work on the flea problem first, obviously, and little by little you'll get that place back in shape. The layout can come later.

Everyone - I remember Good Humor trucks running their routes through my neighborhood out on Long Island where I grew up. My parents wouldn't buy every evening, but as a treat - once in a while - they'd let me run out and flag down the truck and we'd each get an ice cream bar. My favorites were a strawberry swirl and the creamsicle - anybody remember those?

Still making progress on ballasting and scenery. Plans to expand the layout with a new peninsula are taking shape on paper at least. Waiting for a MBKlein order to come in - it will include an early Christmas present from Santa Johnny to myself - a new loco!! Can't wait.

Have a good day everyone.

Louis - That is a cool picture :rolleyes: - All kidding aside, i like that old B&W photo, snow, people all bundled up - really neat. Thanks for posting.

Morning gents,
59 and cloudy with possible rain around noonish.
Kinda chilly inside since I only have a single floor heater for heat.
TV and internet getting hooked this afternoon... yayy!!!!!!
E

Good Morning All. 44° and cloudy with a moderate north wind coming from Montana. High today is forecast to be 52°, quite a difference from yesterday's 82°. Mid 50's until the weekend. We'll probably get our first freeze Wednesday night, about two weeks later than average. Still working on the leaf situation around the yard, at least there's no more to fall!
Been adding ground cover to the layout. It sure is a lot easier to do a large pasture than an urban back alley! That little triangular piece I posted last week took two days, now I am doing a whole block. But since it is eventually going to become a focal point of the layout, at eye level after one walks in the door; I am taking my time and really "super-detailing" it.

Johnny - Don't you just hate it when everyday life interferes with modeling?:rolleyes: Looking forward to the pictures. Like many others, I like to see different interpretations of the same structures that I have built, in this case MR V.
Joe - Stir the pot? LOL I learned long ago that even when rail joiners appear to work well when first installed, some eventually are problematic. Unlike some others, I do not solder track because I have experienced expansion/contraction issues in the past. Feeders get soldered and I probably don't have the expansion/contraction issues any more since building the train shed with its "semi-controlled" atmosphere.
Garry - I actually have a few too many freight cars. I am looking at having to add a storage shelf above one of the staging yards to store a few, maybe 40 of them. I am not quite finished building the benchwork for one end of the upper level that will have an open staging yard on it though. I currently have complete trains, engines, cabooses and all, parked on five of my ten passing sidings. That allows for vacant tracks in the current staging yards needed for fluidity.
Hey! I do remember Good Humor trucks from when I was growing up in Brooklyn. We could hear them from blocks away. Speaking of growing up in Brooklyn, Janet Yellin was a neighbor of ours back in the 50's, although I didn't know her personally since she was four years older than I was and went to a different school.
Justin - I respectfully disagree with you on Atlas track. I have over 1100' of their track, mainly flex, and 120+ switches and have relatively few problems. There is an art to tuning up their switches which I have to do on about 15% of them, but once you know what to do, it's easy. For the price, it's the best route to take unless you hand-lay your own, which I don't have the patience to do.
Curt - Water tower base looks good.
Ken in MD - That's good news regarding the mail mishap.
Louis - That latest picture just reinforces why I like living in this part of Texas. Rarely have to bundle up like that.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Terry, Toot, Ken MD, Joe, David CA, Johnny, Willie .... (Did I miss anyone? ) Thanks for commenting about the Good Humor truck in the birthday picnic scene. I enjoyed reading of your memories. ... I may wish to retake the photo with my digital camera instead of the IPhone to get more in focus. I recall the Good Humor tricks where I grew up in IL.

Willie ... Very interesting but Janet Yellen growing up near you.

Louis ... brrrrr .... That's cold.

Edit.Ken MD ... I'm amazed at your story of the package coming back. ....

Here is the Denver Zephyr running hours late because of a major blizzard. It has SD9 helpers ahead of its E-units. It is in Lincoln, Nebraska, and it is scheduled to by there in the middle of the night. The SD9 has a four digit number which means it was renumbered shortly after the Burlington Northern merger. Soon after the BN merger, Amtrak was created, and the Denver Zephyr was discontinued. That's remarkable because the DZ was a popular train and a big producer of revenue for the Burlington.

36609493742_11ccaf9427_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning y'all. 55° and cloudy. We are in for a wet couple of days.

Joe - Stir the pot? LOL I learned long ago that even when rail joiners appear to work well when first installed, some eventually are problematic. Unlike some others, I do not solder track because I have experienced expansion/contraction issues in the past. Feeders get soldered and I probably don't have the expansion/contraction issues any more since building the train shed with its "semi-controlled" atmosphere.

Willie: I completely agree, last night, I was doing more wiring, I have advanced the buss another 12', but need more wire now. using a Railroad engineering process, I plan on soldering every other joint, while leaving provision for expansion. Personally, I was surprised that the most distant point on the layout worked as well as it did, with field expedient jumper wire, and only the main track for a feed. I know for a fact, that this won't last, so...I'm also isolating blocks, a further commitment to staying DC, at least for now.

Speaking of growing up in Brooklyn, Janet Yellin was a neighbor of ours back in the 50's, although I didn't know her personally since she was four years older than I was and went to a different school.

Willie: Amazing how many movers, shakers and celebrities came from Brooklyn over the years. Brooklyn was/is a truly unique place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back