Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Cloudy and 41 degrees and had some rain overnight. Need a hot cup of black coffee. The Accuweather app on my phone issued a Winter Weather Advisory from 6 PM tonight until noon on Saturday. It is for elevations above 5,500 feet. We're right at that level. Guess we'll see what happens.

Greg - Sounds like you may not be happy with that Kato business car. I was thinking of repainting the Northern Pacific car that I have because the colors are way off.

IMAG0549.jpg

Now that I have the Tru-Color paints for the Lowey paint scheme, thought I might get it done to the correct colors. Looking at your comment, I may just leave it as is and say to myself that it is just faded.

On the red warning screen, I just went to the upper right to ignore the warning. The computer hasn't melted down yet. This computer had Win-10 and I prefer FireFox for a browser. At home I am still using Win-7 with FireFox and never got that warning.

Eric - I have faith in you. I thought that you would get things figured out. The instructions can't be any worse than the suggestions that Walthers passes off for directions.

Willie - I have seen quite a few duplications with the Preisler unpainted figures. I have done the same thing as you by carving off some details or heating arns or legs to reposition them. Of course, like you mentioned, different colors work also. A lot depends on which set you get.

Justin - Willie is correct when he suggests going with Kadee couplers. I have replaced almost all plastic couplers on locomotives and rolling stock. A few weeks ago I put together a 97 car train and ran it around my layout negotiating a two and a half percent grade. Plastic couplers would most likely have failed. I did have only one doupler problem when the clip on an old blue box car fell off. A quick fix and no further problems. I do still have a couple of small switchers that need an extremely short shank coupler because I really like the looks of them, but haven't taken the time to look up what the replacement numbers are. I'll look and see if I can find the old #5's I have been replacing with the 158 whisker couplers. If I can remember what I did with them and perhaps send them your way. I also have an old bulk pack of #5's somewhere which I probably won't use because I have changed over to the 158's.

Here's a rail picture for the day.

traintracks2b.jpg

Later

Good morning everyone. 73 and sunny here in SW MO - will hit 91 today - - toward the end of September?!?! I'll have a cup of coffee and a Boston Cream doughnut, please, Flo.

I tried getting on the forum with Chrome and got the same nonsense others are reporting. So I went back to IE and no problems.

Willie - your work on the Preiser figures looks good. I haven't ordered any mostly because of the European look to most of their stuff. But maybe I'll try my hand at some alterations. Been a bit wary to try things like that, but the longer I'm into this hobby the more daring I become :rolleyes:
Chet - the other day you were talking about weathering techniques. I don't have an airbrush system, and not sure I want to buy one yet. Do you have any suggestions about using weathering powders?

Was too hot to work outside yesterday when we got home from work, so I got in some good time in the train room (nice and cool down there in the basement anyway). Drilled holes and wired up turnouts and the new siding. Eager to get back to some painting and landscaping 'cause I'm tired of looking at the bare wood!

Have a good day everyone.

Eric - ........ The instructions can't be any worse than the suggestions that Walthers passes off for directions.

Amen!! Ain't that the truth Brother!!!!! "passes off" is exactly right.

No Steven King fog-bank this morning! But it looks like it's going to be 93 and sunny.
The local farmers have started pickin corn and beans (soy beans) here. Brother told me the other day that when the beans are ready you have to get them else they fall off the plants. I never knew that but it looks like he's right. I saw fields where they had started to pick corn but apparently switched out heads and were in the bean fields right next door.

A guy is supposed to come by today this morning and put a new screen on my laptop. We'll see.
E

Interesting. Has anyone noticed that the "red screen" some of us was getting is not showing up today on page 16.
I had a theory that something was on page 15 was suspicious looking - maybe an image url or 3rd party url - causing the red screen. It has never showed up today - even on page 15.
What's up with that?
E.

Interesting. Has anyone noticed that the "red screen" some of us were getting is not showing up today on page 16.
I had a theory that something was on page 15 was suspicious looking - maybe an image url or 3rd party url - causing the red screen. It has never showed up today - even on page 15.
What's up with that?
E.

Oh TOO FUNNYY!!!!! The red screen just came up again!!!
"Deceptive site ahead". So much for my page content theory! (dam it....)
E

Ken: The Dust Monkeys work great. I use them with my Masonite pad cleaners and plan on equipping all my cabooses with Dust Bunnies.

Chet: The KATO car isn't one of my favorites to disassemble. Lots of internal interlocking parts that should be more secure in my opinion and the KATO universal lighting lit isn't universal and did not fit my KATO car. Maybe I'm wrong. I like how the car looks sitting on a siding with the rear and marker lights on, the virtual of DCC having constant track power.

Your Business Car looks great on the tracks. As far as the colors being correct for the Northern Pacific, I am so used to the different Orange colors the Milwaukee used with none being really "correct with locomotives sitting side by side having different Orange color tones.

Not a computer expert, but I think someone who visited the forum had a virus or malware that was picked up. Ran several scan and everything looks fine.

That's all for now.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny - I have used powders and chalks. One thing that I did find with some chalks is that when Dull Coat is applied over soem colors, the Dull Coat will make some colors disappear. I do like the black chalks. One other thing that I did try is make up. Mt wife had an old make up kit and I tried some of the tans and browns and the Dull Coad did not make them disappear the way the chalks did. You could experiment on a simple piece of cardboard to see what works best for you.

I do like the air brush to give a very light spray of a mud color along the bottom of the freight cars and locomotives. Not only does it simulate the spraying up of grime from travel over the rails, but it brings out the details of the trucks on locomotives and freight cars.

IMAG0265.jpg IMAG0262.jpg

Greg - I think I will leave that business car alone. I don't need to work on my vocabulary.

Chet: I don't use Google so I couldn't comment on your recent video, A Train Too Long, but is that RS in the middle section of the train powered? Nice video.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg - Don't go Youtube ???? Yes, the RS-3 in the middle of the train was powered in order to not only keep the cars at the very front of the train from tipping over on the super elevated track, but also to help it up the grade. I later added 20 some more cars for a total of 97 in the train and put an additional locomotive behind the caboose. Unfortunately, the battery on the cancorder crapped out during recording. The video was taken at the top of the two and a half percent grade.

[video=youtube;3p6VEsjM1tc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p6VEsjM1tc[/video]

Those Atlas units are fantastic. probably near 20 years old and still running like new. The speeds on these locomotives are almost exactly the same. I was extremely careful to start off at barely a crawl and gradually increased the speed. There was only one coupler problem before this video when a clip holding the coupler on a blue box flat car dropped off. It was put back on and no more problems. Once the full 97 car train got going I probably let it go around the layout around 20 times before stopping it.

The pain was getting all of the freight cars off of the main line as I had emptied out all of the yards, industries and staging tracks to build the train. Took a bit of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg - Sounds like you may not be happy with that Kato business car. I was thinking of repainting the Northern Pacific car that I have because the colors are way off.
Now that I have the Tru-Color paints for the Lowey paint scheme, thought I might get it done to the correct colors. Looking at your comment, I may just leave it as is and say to myself that it is just faded.
I think that is a bad plan. It is a business car, not an abandon passenger car that has been sitting in the sun on a siding for 30 years after passenger service ended. When it was in regular service they would have never let if fade that badly. Besides it would have not faded evenly, and there would be chunks of paint falling off.

Good after noon Spike Drivers and Ballast Tampers,

Hi Francine, Are you here all by your self today? Flo has the day off hah. How about a nice bowl of Chili with some Chedder Cheese on top.

It's 56°F going to 58°F with a low tonignt of 44°F;
Feels like 56.1°;

Mostly Cloudy

Wind West at 0.9 with Gusts 2.5 mph;
Today is forecast to be Much Cooler than yesterday.

I had a nice rain last night into the morning hours which yield .61 inches. I created cut and pasted a new spread sheet to keep tract of the rain fall for this season. So far I've received .63 hundredths. I also found there is still a leak over the front porch I need to fix. Which I'd be out doing but I've got some kind of cold and feel zapped of strength. There are some large puffy Cumulus clouds in the sky which might mean more rain but there is still more than enough blue sky to make a Dutchman a pair of pants so probably not unless it fills in which it seems like it's trying to do?

I did go out into my train room, half of my garage, and ran a train a bit. It was three shorty passenger coaches and a 2-8-0 that had been parked at the end of the line for far too long and back it up till I reached the Horseshoe Meadow Station about a 20' distance. I operate slow to watch the cars and loco roll by.

Have an enjoyable Thursday, I'm headed for a nap.

Ken: You're correct....Dust Monkeys!!! It must of been a malware causing typos! Need to purchase more of the critters.

Greg

[video=youtube;3p6VEsjM1tc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p6VEsjM1tc[/video]

Those Atlas units are fantastic. probably near 20 years old and still running like new. The speeds on these locomotives are almost exactly the same. I was extremely careful to start off at barely a crawl and gradually increased the speed. There was only one coupler problem before this video when a clip holding the coupler on a blue box flat car dropped off. It was put back on and no more problems. Once the full 97 car train got going I probably let it go around the layout around 20 times before stopping it.

The pain was getting all of the freight cars off of the main line as I had emptied out all of the yards, industries and staging tracks to build the train. Took a bit of time.

Chet, thanks for the video. Your effort was not in vain, I enjoyed the video especially the B&O boxcar!

Howdy.

Having problems with the Imac . Still posting with iPhone. Safari will not open. Contacted Apple techical support. They now have me reinstalling Mac OS Sierra. It is now processing.

I don't know if it pertains to the red screen virus. Did anybody inform Bob about the red screen problem?

Ray who sometimes posts here said in the MR Diner the red screen thing is preventing him from access to this site.

Have a good evening.

Good Morning Spikers!
Temp is 64 with partly sunny - heading towards a 70 high. Yesterday was a "clean out the RV" day - still have a couple hours of work to do on that.OK, that is as far as I got yesterday before the "RED Screen" popped up and shut me down.

I was using Chrome. Tried several times today to get on, but keep getting the same red screen, so I even tried the ASUS (same result) - tried resetting a backdated restore point which did not work either - finally I am on now using EDGE. My question now is: Do I have to move all my bookmarks? or, can I just use EDGE for this site and go back to Chrome for all my other bookmarks?

It's considerable cooler today and has been breezy and very cloudy all day.. Sure looks as if it wants to rain? Wish it would. I need to make myself a chart such as DAVID so I can keep track of the rain .. I don't know why they don't go on a calendar year rather than October to October? for yearly rainfall.

Now that I am on the site again ... I need to do some reading on what I have missed.

KARL
Your comment on my BD about the Geritol cracked me up! That was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back