Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris how do you like these pitching lines?

7/17 - Tillman 6IP, 2H, 1ER, 3K, 4BB

7/18 - Bundy 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 4K, 1BB

7/19 - Gausman 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 8K, 2BB

As Yogi said "it aint over till it's over"

Good Morning All. 79° and clear, could hit 99° later today. Heat advisory for today. Cools down to 95° by Sunday...Grandsons left yesterday to go home. I spent part of the morning gathering up all of the squirt guns and other pool toys left around outside. Haven't found any more Matchbox cars underfoot yet this morning.
Out in the train shed, I only ran trains and caught up with reading several back issues of "Trains". It is interesting that even their writers have included some political commentary in some of their articles; no place for it in my opinion. Due to the heat, I'll spend more time out there today. I just wish that I could figure out a way to get my wifi to reach that far. It reaches outside the door, but not inside the building.

Garry - I try to include roof details in all of my models. Since half my layout is on the lower level (height = 36"), roofs are the first thing that you see. It still amazes me that model manufacturers don't include more roof details, the most obvious omission is "vent stacks". Every structure with indoor plumbing of any type has vent stacks on the roof, lots of them in some cases. I try to add them in logical locations on every structure.
Sherrel - Alexa, the talking machine, cannot grill meat, fix supper, or fix dishwashers, so I am still needed. I still think that she argues with it, she claims that she is just playing "Jeopardy". I just remove my hearing aids and live in blissful silence in the other rooms!
Dave - The texture on that roof is molded in, so I cannot take credit. I have come very close to duplicating it on another structure, unfortunately destroyed, by sprinkling very, very fine sand on a freshly spray-painted roof, followed immediately by another coat of paint. I used a very fine sand sold for swimming pool filters, but I think that some ocean beach sand might also be fine enough if sieved.
Curt - Thanks.
Gene - Neat cabinet, but I need two and they won't fit in the layout room!
Eric - Looks like you got that hatch location down now. Wow! 25 cars in one outing, no wonder you're bored. Break up the monotony with a structure build or try weathering some of them.
Ken (D&J) - Have a safe trip. Look forward to receiving your updates.
Jerry (2Tracks) - Glad that you took up the invite to the Coffee Shop. Welcome and grab some doughnuts and coffee if that's your pleasure. We leave the whiskey to Louis!

Everybody have a great day. I'll be heading out for the weekly grocery/beer trek in about an hour, minus the wife who is still in Dallas. That means a quicker trip...it's still 50 miles round trip though!

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All:
Never made it to my Dr. appointment yesterday. Had breakfast, went upstairs to bathe and dress, just could not physically pull it together. Called down to the Spousal Unit and begged her to call and cancel. (this appointment was NOT in conjunction with my recent surgery) -- have to make the LA trip tomorrow to see one of the surgeons - wife is making noises about driving - maybe?
Just really having a hard time getting myself out of this hole; seems that I take two steps up and fall back one - sometimes two or three. I made it known very clearly to my wife yesterday that I will not put myself through something like this again! Whatever is coming down the road ahead of me, I will NOT try and sidestep it! NOT looking for any sympathy, but quality of life at this point means more than quanity, and presently I am not enjoying the quality.

Good morning. 53 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the low 90's. Break out the Right Guard.

Eric - You're doing good on the freight cars. Keeping you busy at least.

Sherrel
- Sorry to hear that you are down in the dumps. Things should get better for you in time.

Joe - I sure enjoy you input with all of the experience you have behind you.

Here's another track photo, of some abused track.

train burnout.jpg A bit of wheel spin ??????

Later

Good morning Sherrel,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's not at all uncommon to be down after a serious procedure and you my strong friend have had more than 1 in these recent days. I know you will pull it together, it just might take longer than we expect.

Like always I equate things with baseball and you are like the Cubbies. Despite all that talent the Cubs floundered well below expectations for the first half of the season. Now they have righted the ship and have won 6 straight.

Draw on you days when you played baseball. Remember how it was to go 0 for a week or even 2, only to break out in the next game to go on a hitting streak. In those days you knew the slump would end. That was how you made it to the championship. It's all in how you look at things.
Yogi-Berra-quote.jpg

Try to keep your spirits up my friend,
yogi-berra-yogi-berra-baseball-is-ninety-percent-mental-and-the-other.jpg

Good morning, 66 headed for 85. Pretty muggy, though.

Sherrel, I wish you felt better, but I know that doesn't help. Sometimes the process of the cure is a lot of work and can really zap a person.

Willie, thanks for the info on the asphalt.

Chet, really some track photos you are finding

I should say I don't advocate drinking to excess. As the line goes "drink responsibly".

Other than the 4th of July I seldom drink more than 1 and I often go months between drinks.

I celebrate the 4th of July because it is the birthday of my late great sister Theresa and this GREAT nation that has given me the opportunity to have such a wonderful life. Any problems I have had have been self-induced, thank God!

To borrow from and rephrase a popular advertising camping "I don't always drink, but when I do it is something worth drinking!"

You can bet your bottom dollar my drink will be from Kentucky, Ireland or a great American Whiskey or a great American Lager Beer and it won't have no fruit in it!!!

God Bless Us Everyone!

Eric - Looks like you got that hatch location down now. Wow! 25 cars in one outing, no wonder you're bored. Break up the monotony with a structure build or try weathering some of them.

I've already asked my landlord in GA to send my weathering stuff.
Right now I'm pestering him to unhook all my DCC stuff and all accessories and just send it all.
I'll figure it out. (plus I documented it all).

In the mean time I've this dam cancer thing to get out of my life.
E.

Good Morning All:
Never made it to my Dr. appointment yesterday. Had breakfast, went upstairs to bathe and dress, just could not physically pull it together. Called down to the Spousal Unit and begged her to call and cancel. (this appointment was NOT in conjunction with my recent surgery) -- have to make the LA trip tomorrow to see one of the surgeons - wife is making noises about driving - maybe?
Just really having a hard time getting myself out of this hole; seems that I take two steps up and fall back one - sometimes two or three. I made it known very clearly to my wife yesterday that I will not put myself through something like this again! Whatever is coming down the road ahead of me, I will NOT try and sidestep it! NOT looking for any sympathy, but quality of life at this point means more than quanity, and presently I am not enjoying the quality.

Brother I know EXACTLY what you mean about all that!!!!
It wears me out - mentally and physically.

OJ: too much drama for me. FNC is running his hearing live. Why?

In the mean time what do you all think of my color choice on the old timey reefer car ice hatches?
You have seen my white hatches on my snickers car. I thought It was way too much contrast but I was thinking functionality. White reflecting the heat away would be appropriate.
Now I have this Miller beer car (same car - different paint scheme) with a black roof.
The hatches on this model are black molded. I want something different. Maybe a flat tan.
I don't know. I really don't consider myself an artist.
E.

Boris how do you like these pitching lines?

7/17 - Tillman 6IP, 2H, 1ER, 3K, 4BB

7/18 - Bundy 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 4K, 1BB

7/19 - Gausman 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 8K, 2BB

As Yogi said "it aint over till it's over"

Perhaps, the embarrassment of the Cubs series sunk in, and they took a look at themselves. The common factor here is that they still throw a lot of pitches, as the 6th Inning pitch counts all exceed 95. On a positive note, they all got past the first three innings relatively unscathed. Need to throw more strikes, fewer balls. Miley goes tonight, maybe the streak will continue...

Good afternoon. It's stifling and 97. One of my techs had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance with a heart attack. They installed a stent, and he is in recovery. Hopfully he will make it okay.

Afternoon All,

Had a great time this morning visiting with Phil and Jon. After getting home I soldered a lighting project for my son (simple on/off circuit to a halogen light). He needed it for a Colonial Marine costume he is currently working on (a shoulder mounted light). I was a week ahead for the NMRA convention and National Train Show. I won't be attending either although it is here in Orlando. The only part I might attend would be the train show and have been debating about it. I found the list of vendors last night so I have decided not to attend. There were a few I was specifically interested in but they aren't listed so why blow $30-40 for admission and parking?

Eric- Nice looking reefer. Wow, you're on a roll.

VA Ken- Safe travels and have fun.

Sherrel- Sorry to hear of your continuing difficulties. I hope you have some relief soon.

Terry- Sorry to hear about your co-worker. I hope he pulls through it OK.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning all,

I talked with Sherrel for a minute or two this morning, he seemed in fair condition and even laughed at one point but said he wasn't feeling all that great and didn't care to talk on the phone all that much so I made it brief. He has gone through a lot and it is emotionally as well as physically draining I'm sure but he'll pull through I'm sure as he's a tough old bird.

As for me I've been working on my tractor and got it running fairly well but a belt jumped off one of the sheives last night about 11:30 Pm when I drove it down to the road about 350 from the house and back yard. I had to walk back to get a large long screw driver and head back down again as the tractor was only about 10 ft. from the road and I didn't want to leave it sitting there all night/morning long. I was able to get the belt back on the sheive and drove it back into the back yard.

There is a fairly large fire burning in the next county, Mariposa, to the North and West of my place by about 30 miles. I noticed this morning that there was a lot of fine ash on my car.

No RR going on at all.

Have a good day and week,

David

Howdy

Sherrel .. Your friends here care about you. I think it is normal for a body to have a prolonged recovery from major surgery. So don't expect too much too soon . Get plenty of rest. It will get better.

Eric. .. I'm much more interested in your refrigerator car projects than OJ. That man is nauseating.

Curt. . I'm glad you had time with Phil and Jon. I went to the National Train show when the NMRA convention was in Detroit several years ago . I thought it was worthwhile. The convention itself seemed very expensive and I did not participate in it.

Terry.. sorry to hear about your coworker having a heart attack.

David.Truss Rod ... it is good to hear from you. Glad you could talk with Sherrel. Hopefully you find time for model trains soon

Louis .. I'm not much of a drinker myself. A glass of wine or a bottle of beer once in a long while is plenty for me .

David.Truss Rod ... it is good to hear from you. Glad you could talk with Sherrel. Hopefully you find time for model trains soon.

Say Gary: Thank for your reply, seems like it may be a while yet. I have some tall dry grass to get mowed down but it dusty as heck too doing that. But it's the quickest way to get it cut back.

Sherrel, sorry to hear your recovery is not as you hoped, but don't forget any tissue injury (and that's what surgery is, even keyhole) takes 6 weeks minimum to heal. Don't think you can act as if it didn't happen. What you had done was still major. Take it easy, don't try to do as yet, what you could do before too soon. You could undo the good that has been achieved. The advice given to me was, if you feel tired, rest you must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back