Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet & Curt: The structure is plastic, Walthers modules, molded in a light sand color, I did the usual pre-wash with dawn and warm water, then air dried it. Not my first paint job, so it's got to be the paint. I'm going to look for the Tamika. Alternative is to thin this stuff by 50% and shoot it.

Sherrel: Neat headline. Remember, the discomfort and pain will pass, hope you feel better soon.

Time to get going to the house. Here's another rail picture for the night.

0c6be439e8184e4f1e468725e3e15e6a.jpg

Later

Good morning Everybody!

Wow, no way I can catch up with everything I have missed. I took advantage in the break of high heat and humidity to work as much as possible. I worked myself into being tired enough to stay home today as planed because the heat and humidity have returned. I'll be back to evening only work this week.

Curt I wish I could deliver your package, but you probably already got it and I doubt it would have been routed through my station. I did deliver a package to northern VA once. It had been mistakenly sent too our station and the customer called Amazon to say they needed it by 9pm as promised. Amazon asked me if I could get it to them by 9pm, I said "of course, but how much will you pay?" they offered me 6 hours and I accepted. Two and a half hours latter I was home with my feet up watching a ball game. I wonder how much they would pay me to take a package to Florida?

Chet that is another great photo, made me think of Halloween.

Sherrel you will know the story sticks when the plea bargaining begins.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad days, but look on the bright side; you are having some good days, they could be all bad. Soon the tide will turn and you will be back to normal, God be with you my friend.

Karl your cabinet looks fantastic! The grocery story I shop at every Sunday morning with my Mom changed all their point of sale (POS) shelves over to LED lighting and they look great too. The assistant manager told me it increased their POS sales from the first day. It's obviously visually appealing to many. Who knew Hershey bars could be even more tempting?

Boris I'm sure you are as frustrated as I am with our birds, it was a very tough weekend. I am even more frustrated with MASN's annalist Rick Dempsey and TV announcer Gary Thorn. They were accusing some of the Orioles of not playing hard. Worst yet they did not mention any names casting a shadow over the entire team. It's the biggest load of horse crap I have heard yet. It came after Sunday's game. How can you play hard when you can't get a pitch to hit and your watching the other team hit balls out of the park and all over the yard. it was not the Orioles effort, the Cubs new pitcher dominated them. As I said I am frustrated but you can't make up stuff and point fingers, it is what it is. Good pitching beats good hitting every time.

The fact is if Britton was healthy we would be a 500 team and still in the hunt. We are 9 games back and the it's no coincidence the bullpen has blown 9 saves. Injuries are a part of the game and replacing one of the top closers in the game is no easy task. Add to that the starters have been the worst in baseball and it's amazing the birds have done as well as they have.

Dempsey was a great defender, but a lifetime 233 hitter with almost 200 more strikeouts then walks, obviously he knows nothing about hitting. Gary Thorn should stick to calling the games and he is not very good at that! That is why I prefer to listen to the radio.

Talk radio is saying rebuild, be big sellers at the trade deadline. I disagree, I would not be a buyer, the only deal I would look to make is to trade Castillo, not because he is not good, but because we have lots of depth in the minor leagues at catcher and maybe we can get another young pitcher or two. We can still make a run this year, but only if the starters can turn things around.

That is it for me for now, sorry I can't comment on all the other great posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have said good evening. I started the previous post this morning but did not have time to finish.

Chet I like the last phot too, but the one I referred to was the one before this last one.

Evening fellers,
I'm finishing up another model - Walthers JC landry Feed & Supply store (#933-3662)
Finally, a Walthers kit who's instruction were actually decent!!!!!
Anyway, the final thing to this kit is adding a lighting kit from Viessmann.
I'd never head of them before so I did some looking around starting with the power supply mentioned in the lighting kit's instruction (but not included) .
It's the Viessmann 5215 Power Module.

Has anyone had any experience with them and what do you think of their stuff.
You all know I love adding lighting to my buildings.
I haven't done any of that because I don't have of those materials here with me - yet.
Let me know what "you'ns" think.
E.

Eric - OK, I remembered (I think) the manufacturer that makes the kits for Walther's with the lighting and well-written instructions. I believe it is Heljan, from Denmark. I have made several of them. I am intrigued by Curt's suggestion of running the lights from the track power buss, never thought of it before. I cannot do that because I use DC and not DCC. You can use an old Tyco of Lifelike transformer to power the lighting buss. You can use either the DC or AC terminals for lights. The Visemann specifies between 14 and 24 volts, AC or DC (lights don't care) and the 17v provided by one of these old transformers does the trick. I noticed that Curt specified using a resistor which would be unnecessary with the transformer.
Hope that this helps you make a decision and save some $$$.

Willie

Eric - OK, I remembered (I think) the manufacturer that makes the kits for Walther's with the lighting and well-written instructions. I believe it is Heljan, from Denmark. I have made several of them. I am intrigued by Curt's suggestion of running the lights from the track power buss, never thought of it before. I cannot do that because I use DC and not DCC. You can use an old Tyco of Lifelike transformer to power the lighting buss. You can use either the DC or AC terminals for lights. The Visemann specifies between 14 and 24 volts, AC or DC (lights don't care) and the 17v provided by one of these old transformers does the trick. I noticed that Curt specified using a resistor which would be unnecessary with the transformer.
Hope that this helps you make a decision and save some $$$.

Willie

Sure you don't mean Viessmann or Kibri?

I'm into building something else now from Intermountain.
What the hell!!!
"Step 2. Trucks & Couplers
Carefully cut all sideframes and bolsters from sprues, Press sideframe pin into hole at end of bolster until you feel a snap. Sideframe is then locked in place. Repeat for other sideframes."

What the hell sideframes and bolsters are they talking about??????
I wouldn't know either one from a hole in the ground!!!

Good evening, y'all. 73 and sticky. It's summertime at the Jersey Shore!

Louis: O's 3-1 over Texas, Bleier the win, Brach the save. Tillman, 6 innings, 95 pitches, 1 Run allowed, 3 Ks. Smith HR. Machado, 3 for 3.

I watched the Nats win this afternoon (6-1), on MLB Net, (MASN DC).

Talk is O's sell, some fan talk sending Britton to DC for prospects. Most O's fans blame Peter Angelos for the mess, and they may be right. Not 4 Nothing, I didn't watch any games Sunday, but the box score wasn't pretty. One name stood out to me, Ubaldo... the rest of the bunch wasn't much better. The cubs couldn't even beat the Mets! At. best, the O's need a new pitching coach, an new hitting coach, and a starter. They need to unload some garbage contracts, and under achievers. What's Chris Davis done all season? Trumbo? Castillo? Machado's hitting ability has gone into hiding, although his fielding is top notch. Tillman? Perhaps he came back too soon, He may as well stayed out for the season. A complete rebuild, isn't necessary, but a new direction is. Buck looks shell shocked every time the camera pans on him... Tonight was better, but has the horse left the barn?

What the hell!!!
Carefully cut all sideframes and bolsters from sprues, Press sideframe pin into hole at end of bolster until you feel a snap. Sideframe is then locked in place. Repeat for other sideframes."

Obviously you are building trucks for equipment. The bolster on the model is the part the center pivot pin goes through. The sideframes are the pieces that attach to the bolster, and the axle/wheel assemblies ride in them.

What the hell!!!

Eric...the pink is the side-frame, the green arrow is pointing to the bolster which is the crosspiece with the hole in it that joins the two sideframes
IMG_2441.JPG

Obviously you are building trucks for equipment. The bolster on the model is the part the center pivot pin goes through. The sideframes are the pieces that attach to the bolster, and the axle/wheel assemblies ride in them.

I'm not sure what the directions are trying to tell me I'm building but I clearly am building closed hopper - maybe 50' or so.
Might be one of the cars you sent.

Good Morning All. 77° and clear today. Headed for 96° later...ten day forecast is the same for every day, 77°-97° clear and no rain. Winds below 10 mph the whole time. Isn't it great to be awakened 30 minutes early (3:30 am) by an eight year old grandson because the dog he insisted on bringing with him, licked his hand while he was asleep? Wife hated it worse since she doesn't usually rise until 7:00 am.
Out in the train shed, I completed "The Green Door Lounge" yesterday, but left the camera card outside. I'll post some pictures later. Ran a few trains but did little else. My next small project is to rehabilitate a structure that I purchased for $2 from my LHS while it was still open. He would buy estates and "junk" from E-Bay, sort it and sell it cheap.
07-10-17 011.JPG
It's a tobacco shop from IHC; I do believe that some other manufacturers have used this tooling as well. The base, steps and roof details are missing. I actually have a complete version somewhere on the layout. This one has the two side walls reversed from their intended configuration, which is no issue for where I intend to use it.

Chet - By the way, I have really enjoyed the recent railroad pictures that you have been posting.
Gene -
A lost Kadee spring
They're never really found!
Eric - See earlier post regarding the structures.

Hey! Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. A nice 52 degrees to start the day but it is supposed to reach the mod 80's this afternoon.

Eric - Hopefully the explanation given will help you. It is correct.

Got some goodies in the mail yesterday. Willie had mentioned that the salvage yard needed some weeds but I needed to order another fence kit from Walthers. Suprise, suprise. Ordered it Friday on Amazon and it showed up in the mail. That sure was fast. I also got my Checker cab. I originally thought it was too modern for my time period, but after a bit of research, it fits right in. The cab is the Checker A-8 which was the first of the series of the modern Checker Cab. It was introduced in 1956. Bingo. It only lasted three years and the next model which had quad headlights came out in 1958.

IMAG1186.jpg Looks good in front of the train station.

I have also been working on a train to run next week at the model railroad club. Some of the members wanted to see a Northern Pacific passenger train a bit more modern than the one in the Gardiner Loop so I am putting a hodge podge train together, a combination of the older pine tree paint scheme and the modern Lowey paint scheme. The Lowey paint scheme was introduced in 1954, which was also the year that the NP introduced the dome car. Even though I was only 8 years old at that time, I can well remember the change of the paint scheme and the dome cars.

I picked up a pair of Atlas FP-7's from Garry a while back, which happen to be the only two FP-7's that the NP owned, number 6600 and 6601. They are in the older pine tree paint scheme and they will have to be at the point with the grades hey have at the club. I have one single F-7 in the Lowey paint scheme but a long train would be too heavy for it. I will throw any cars at the train that I have decorated for the NP and see how the train comes out. I do remember seeing a mix of paint schemes for a short period of time during the change over period. Should be an interesting train. I will try to take some photos and or video of it on Saturday.

I'll end this post with another rail picture. May have to use some of these as wallpaper for my phone. Here goes.

4-railway-tracks-les-cunliffe.jpg

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back