Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
This is the new place. Don't forget to wipe your feet, and shut the door to keep the A/C in.

Looks like it's time to move on to a new coffee shop. Flo and Francine are on their way.

A nice day here at 65 degrees and not a cloud ing the sky.

Real busy day yesterday. Went flying yesterday morning with wheel sup at 0700. It was nice to get a few hours into the log book. After that it was time to mow the lawn. No grandson this wee. Then I helped the neighbor with some carpentry work. By the time that was over, it was time to eat and head over to Livingston to the model railroad club.

Enjoyed running there. Finally got to see how the BLI heavy Mike did running on DCC. Took a lot of videos also. Here's one of a DM&IR Yellowstone that was running last night. After a while the somke started getting a bit thick.

[video=youtube;39V-gkoztfY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39V-gkoztfY&list=PLl9C2J7uwbGv44n-ogwhGMNTZ0cevd1dA[/video]

Got some chores to get done. Be back soon.

I'm not usually a fan of HO smoke because I don't find it at all realistic...however it did look better on that video...I assume somehow they have improved the smoke-mechanisms since my childhood. That was a very impressive train and sound as well

Good Afternoon All,

Spent most the morning and some of the afternoon doing chores and being a taxi driver. I spent a couple of hours putting in windows, shades, signs, and wall trim, so I should be at the point of putting the walls together.

Tomorrow I will be at the grade school again for library book inventory.

Sherrel- I look at it as it would need painting/Decaling, lighting, DCC Sound, and a Train Phone and possibly a new drive.

Louis- Nice pic.

Chet- Nice video.

20170521_152343_zpskjzufhjj.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Gene - I'm like you, not a real fan of the smoke. Here's another video of the train, still huffin' and puffin'. When I was a kid I did get to actually ride in the cab of a Northern Pacific Yellowstone. Just before they were scraped, they were used for helper service over Bozeman Pass and believe me, there was a lot more smoke coming out and it had a bit of a darker color.

[video=youtube;GzVB-NzgWds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzVB-NzgWds[/video]

Eric - One thing to look for in a color printer is the size of the ink cartridges. The year before last, my Epson bit the dust and we had to grab another in a hurry because my wife need the printer for the league secretary work and the cartridges were so small that we had to replace the cartridges twice during league. Also, don't refill the cartridges. It really pays off to get the factory ones. They can ruin the printer. We ended up getting an HP 8625 mainly because of the size of the cartridges. We went two seasons before we had to replace one. That's where they make their money, selling ink. The quality is excellent. Got it at Costco. Your track plan, or space does offer you some decent space.

Toot - Enjoyed the video. I have watched quite a few from India and I ceased to be amazed.

Talked briefly with Sherrel about DC controllers. I like my GML and so does Dave LASM.

Eric - One thing to look for in a color printer is the size of the ink cartridges. The year before last, my Epson bit the dust and we had to grab another in a hurry because my wife need the printer for the league secretary work and the cartridges were so small that we had to replace the cartridges twice during league. Also, don't refill the cartridges. It really pays off to get the factory ones. They can ruin the printer.
I can attest to the ruining part. Got a set of generic ink cartridges for my Canon. It worked for long enough to use about a quarter of the ink, then I got an error message and the printer would print no more. Not even with factory cartridges.
Our replacement is also a Canon, it works pretty well, and the ink prices are not too bad. Ours is an MG series that I got from Ebay for $35. Prints, scans, and copies. Don't know if it faxes, I never tried.

I can attest to the ruining part. Got a set of generic ink cartridges for my Canon. It worked for long enough to use about a quarter of the ink, then I got an error message and the printer would print no more. Not even with factory cartridges.
Our replacement is also a Canon, it works pretty well, and the ink prices are not too bad. Ours is an MG series that I got from Ebay for $35. Prints, scans, and copies. Don't know if it faxes, I never tried.
What with scanning and pdf, I don't know why anyone would need a fax anymore.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Chet, Great videos of the Yellowstone. Must've been good to give it it's legs on the club layout. While the smoke volume I doubt would match what the real one would put out when working hard, at least it was puffing clouds and not wisps like all the other smoke producers I've seen.

What with scanning and pdf, I don't know why anyone would need a fax anymore.

I have learned there is a limited need for faxes. Sending semi-official documents, for example. I've been told to fax something. Can't I email it? NO. O-kay...

I believe you can now send a FAX via your computer, whether this is a new Win10 feature, not sure, haven't had a need. Big help, eh!

Chet, Great videos of the Yellowstone. Must've been good to give it it's legs on the club layout. While the smoke volume I doubt would match what the real one would put out when working hard, at least it was puffing clouds and not wisps like all the other smoke producers I've seen.

Exactly! The smoke is puffing much more real than in the older models.

I believe you can now send a FAX via your computer, whether this is a new Win10 feature, not sure, haven't had a need. Big help, eh!
I think it's been a good 20 years since I last sent a fax, and I don't anticipate sending another, ever.

I think I heard about that. I also heard of a device that you can type directly to paper instead of only to the on screen image. :cool:

Good morning fellers. It's Monday again. I learned a valuable lesson this weekend. Avoid Walmarts tire and lube center on the weekends. Took 3 hours just to get two tires mounted and balanced. That's a little more time at Walmart than I like. Actually I don't like Walmart at all. If my tires weren't on sale through them wouldn't have went there in the first place. CSX closed the Cumberland hump yard Friday. I'm not sure if it was mentioned on here or not. Seems the modern times is bringing about some sad changes. The yard will live on in memory. Huntington is close to the same fate. Even though they just did up a Chessie system locomotive bound for a museum up north somewhere. Anyways it's a new week. A new spot. I'll catch up to y'all later.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning, 53 and raining.

Beady: When my Mother in Law was no longer capable of handling her own affairs, I had to reinstall a land line for my printer's fax. Some insurers, medical facilities, and government agencies still require fax transmission, others still insist on using Mail.

Toot: Microsoft fax requires Skype or eqivalent on line phone service. Land line through my cable provider was cheaper.

I use Adobe Acrobat DC for my PDF. Some businesses use DocuSign which IMHO doesn't work as well, it's more sign and return, with no edit options.

Good Morning America (and Toot). 74° and partly cloudy. Rained all night 20 miles south of here, but not a drop on the SFW estate! I need a good "gully-washer" to drown all of the newly hatched grasshoppers; I can mow the ones in my yard, but cannot do anything about the surrounding fields. Well the swimming pool is ready to go. Just waiting on the new ladder to arrive...jumping in would be easy, but getting out would be a bit difficult with that 52" step! New one is more "steps" than ladder to accommodate the wife's wishes. Water temperature was 77° yesterday, just at the low end of the tolerable level.
Here's a couple of progress photos of the first of two structures that I am working on. No real detailing or weathering yet, the vegetable bins are only partially painted.
05-22-17 001.JPG05-22-17 004.JPG
More to come.

Sherrel - Not to worry regarding the back , that's why I'm recruiting the young (45YO) neighbor to help. His dad and all of my other male neighbors are 75+ and not necessarily in good shape right now. All have had major surgery in the last few months and all are still recovering.
Chet - Sounds like Saturday was a full day. Hope to see more videos from the club. Regarding the GML controller. I have been looking into getting one myself because the telephone jacks that I use on my present system become "loose" after repeated plug/unplug cycles. My concern about the GML is their style of jack, while much more durable, might stick out in the aisle and impale me where it counts, or provide an obstacle for the grandkids. Any comments? The other is that while their website doesn't show it, I believe it was Dave that posted that an extended coiled cord was available. All that they advertise is a 10' model. Do you have any info on that?
Curt - Coming along nicely. By the way, nothing wrong with your weathering technique, and it shows that there is more than one way "to skin a cat"; you weather before assembly and I weather after assembly. Never thought to reverse myself.
Toot - Fax capability has been a Windows feature since XP at least for me. And yes Beady there are still a few instances where it is needed, mostly in the medical field.
Justin - Hump yards are no longer needed by the class 1's as they prefer to haul only unit trains now.

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Willie

Good morning ...

Terry ... Thanks for starting the new coffee shop thread.
Curt ... Your building is looking good so far.
Willie .... I like your building with all of its details.
Chet ..... The Yellowstone videos are great.

Cheers, everybody.

Good morning. 43 degrees and partly cloudy with a forecast high in the mid 60's. With such nice weather, I didn't get anything done with the layout over the weekend.

Curt - That building is really looking good. Waiting to see it assembled and on the layout.

Faxes are turning into dinosaurs. I have seen the sending of faxes really drop in the past years. There are still uses for a fax, but now most of the work I do are through emails. Downloading information and then scanning and emailing back is becoming the norm. When it comes to ink cartridges, I know a couple to IT guys who have also recommended staying away from the companies who can refill your old cartridges at a pretty good savings. At work, we have had to relace a number of printers because we were refilling cartridges.

Willie - I have been using my GML throttle for years and years and have had no problem with walking into the plug (so far). If you are worried, you could also recess the jack. I did pick up a 10 foot extension for the hand unit. Any three wire cord for a regular stereo headset would work. I got one at Rat Shack. Also, I lucked out and put the jacks in locations that had plenty of room to people to walk by. I also keep a set of meters in line with it. Here's a photos. The hand unit is not plugged in in this photo, but you can the jack above the light. The photo of the building really looks good.

IMAG0794.jpg

The other controller at the bottom left of the photo is what I use for the yard opposite the panel. I have no idea who made it, as it was given to me but it also works as good as the GML. That one did have a telephone jack on it and was a hassle to move around. That was another big reason for getting the GML system.

Justin - I also avoid Wal Mart if at all possible, I don't think I have been in a Wal Mart in over 10 years, and tht vivit was when I was with my wife on a Saturday shopping trip. We were only there for a few minutes and the nicest part of the trip was seeing Wal Mart in the rear view mirror.

Here's a photo of the old Northern Pacific Depot in Livingston where the model railroad club has their layout in the basement of the freight building.

IMAG1163.jpg

The main building houses the Northern Pacific museum. The crappy photo is the MRL shops located north of the yard. I was going to take a closer photo, but the freight cars in the yard sere blocking the building. The telephoto on the phone camera isn't the best.

IMAG1165.jpg

Here's another quick video at the club. I sort of screwed up by putting the camera down on the main line instead of the yard lead. You'll notice a big 0-5-0 get into the video. The track work at the club is excellent. I was there for almost two hours and there wasn't a single derailment. The only problem during the entire evening was a train losing it's caboose in a tunnel.

[video=youtube;q2h7Q0vFuXE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2h7Q0vFuXE[/video]

In video you can also see some trains running at the top of the screen. I can't believe that I didn't know the club was here. I have been invited to come over any time to run trains. I do have the BLI heavy mike that is a DCC locomotive which I did run Saturday night, but with all of the trains running, didn't want to cause a wreck by not paying attention to the train.

Later

Back