Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

Chet, it wasn't me that said the sound and non-sound versions weigh the same. The dcc and non-dcc versions generally do.
For sound, some of the weight mist be removed in order to have a place for the speaker.
I have a lone NP engine, a U28C with dcc and loksound that runs and sounds great that I could be talked out of, if you need something beefier for club operations.

Terry - Sorry that I accused you of something you didn't post. Someone had posted that converting DC RS units to DCC wouldn't need to that he weight modified because the decoder would replace the lighting unit in the DC version. There has to be s difference in weight. Maybe I can find a drug dealer and use their scale to get the exact weights. Grin.gif

The U boat would be too modern for me as I cut off at 1957. One thing I have to get used to on the Atlas unit is the built in momentum. Don't know if I like it or not. It is interesting and probably I'll just have to get used to it. The RS-1 will work alright. I'll just pull smaller trains. Maybe throw a combine behind the locomotive. I did like the way it performed except on the grades.

Joe ..... That is a great photo of MP54 1962 "eye candy". I noticed several Canadian boxcars in the fore ground, and I wonder if there was a company that received newsprint there.

Garry: It was newsprint for the now defunct Philadelphia Evening Bulletin. They used to receive two drills per day, seven days per week. There were a few other freight customers along lower 30th ST. (Upper 30th St was elevated). The primary activity for Walnut St. Yard was the Railway Express terminal on (lower) Walnut Street.

Louis: There are a trillion Army - Navy stories, most untrue. When I was the Road Foreman of Engines for the Chesapeake Division, North of Perryville, during PC days, I was privleged :rolleyes: to go down to Washington the night before, and ride the first train out of DC to the Stadium, hang out, (we got to get in and watch most of the game), and return after, which made for a long day. Someone would relieve me in Baltimore going South, otherwise I would be stuck in DC until 0800 on Sunday morning. As a fireman, I mainly worked either a helper or protect crew at Wilmington, which still meant a long day. The operation was hurried and intense, and back in the day, impressive.

Yesterday afternoon, finally repaired the turnout with the throw rod being to high. Used a Dremel tool with a well used cut off wheel that was worn down to a small diameter and fit perfectly in between the rails. Cut off the throw rod in no time without hitting the turnout rails.

Started an inventory of my rolling stock. Using an Excel spreadsheet format similar to the one I used for my locomotives.

This morning, finished assembling the work ladder creeper to gin access the rear areas of the layout. Well constructed, but a bit large for my layout room. Need to find a spot to store it out of sight when not in use.

Next, yard work trimming bushes and then take the clipping to the local land fill.

Hopefully, train room this afternoon.

Greg

Afternoon All,

Obviously the internet provider is now providing like it should. Today I messed around scratch building (test) metal roof panels for a up coming sand house scratch build. Obviously I will have to be more careful with the glue on the real thing. The material is thin styrene (for sale sign).

I'll be off the forum until Friday.

Eric- I hope you're doing better.

Johnny- It sounds like everyone had a good time.

Sherrel- I'm glad you are doing well and nice photo.

Garry- Nice photo and modeling.

20170627_132420_zpsth4uhr6r.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night

"Johnny - While I have had very little need for either of the "tonics", I found that Umcka was a lot more effective than Echinacea. Since I rarely get colds I cannot vouch for either one's total effectiveness."

Willie - I rarely get sick either. I'm pretty sure I got this from that road trip to Chicago last week. When you're in a van for 8-10 hours each way with one guy who's sick and coughing all the time, something bad's bound to happen. Two of the other guys in that van also got sick, so we're sure it was from our one sick friend. Anyway, at the first sign of a sore throat, I started taking the Echinacea and Uncka, and put some Olbas drops in a diffuser that night to help me breathe.

Experiment; I'm playing with my phone's settings (Galaxy S8+), and found a Panorama thingy. This photo is supposed to be a 360° view of our basement; it turned out OK, but now I want to see how it'll post. You my have to fiddle with it.

Just to keep this on topic, I wanted to show what I'm working with, space-wise, and why it's taking so long. Frankly, I look at the mess and feel discouraged; it felt like a major victory when I unearthed my computer table (The 4' brown card table in the photo).

Anyway, here it is. Good luck to us and all who sail in us:
a8dcf24d84e26e239e364378f80c6e40.jpg

ETA In the post I get a "broken" icon. Tapping on the icon brings up the pic.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

That 360 degree picture thing is pretty cool.
I tried several ways to salvage that cigar, but nothing worked. It was broken pretty bad. Licking and closing it just wouldn't work. Holding it like a picalo wouldn't improve the smoke draw either.
Wellll, tomorrow is ciger night with the guys anyway down at the cigar lounge in Fredericksburg.
Just three weeks to my summer ride. Starting my route planning from Michigan out to Arizona and the endurance ride from San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL. Each gas stop will be a little over 200 miles. A full tank will get me to about 270 miles.
Just finished my 3 mile walk and trying to get up the motivation to work on the bridge.

Just jumped on the train back to San Bernardino .. Left 1 min ago.
Dr's gave the thumbs up for the next surgery on July 6. Lots of things to get done in the mean time. At this time tjeu they are planning Not to use a spinal drain (subject to change). More layer . want to look out the window.

Good evening. It's mostly clear and 75.
Paid the tags for the car just now. $98+$36 inspection. "Inspection" consisted of opening the door, starting the car, and verifying the check engine light was off.

Just jumped on the train back to San Bernardino .. Left 1 min ago.
Dr's gave the thumbs up for the next surgery on July 6. Lots of things to get done in the mean time. At this time tjeu they are planning Not to use a spinal drain (subject to change). More layer . want to look out the window.

Sherrel ..... I hope all goes well on the 6th. Definitely, I hope they won't need a spinal drain. ..... Must be nice to ride a train.

Curt .... Looks ike you are staining some small pieces of wood.

Terry .... We do not have car inspections here in KY.

I worked on some scenery today.

I'll be driving a lot the next two days. Family members are driving my wife to Cincinnati from Michigan, and I will meet her there tomorrow evening. On my way to Cincinnati, I will drive via Lexington so I can visit my friend, Dan, who is in the hospital there recovering from his surgery ... Thursday, my wife and I will leave Cincinnati for Louisville were we need to take care of some business there. After that we will drive home late Thursday..... It will be about 700 miles in two days.... I wish we had train service.

Happy Model Railroading

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone. 65 and sunny, hitting 86 later today.

Sherrel - prayers for the July 6 surgery. I'll set off a firecracker for you!
Beady - interesting photo - pretty cool.

MBKlein order scheduled to arrive today - mostly landscaping stuff plus 5 vehicles for the town. Layout and structure building progress is slow right now mostly because outdoor work takes up some time these days. But I still manage to get in at least a half hour in the basement every evening.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Gang. 72° and mostly cloudy which will disappear in about an hour. Had a few cooler days now, still not supposed to get above 90° until tomorrow. Grandsons are still with us, they go home this afternoon for their mother's birthday. I think that she's 36. Spent a part of the day preserving tomatoes by blanching, skin and seed removal, and freezing them. Sixty tomatoes = two full gallon ziplocks, each of which will eventually make enough spaghetti sauce for three meals for wife and me. I could have made the sauce yesterday but didn't feel like peeling and chopping all of the necessary onions, garlic and basil.
Ran some trains for the boys yesterday, but their interest span has dwindled to about ten minutes, even though I let both of them handle the throttle for the whole run. Switching totally bores them. I did start on my latest DPM build, sprue removal, sanding and wall assembly. Window painting begins today.

Sherrel - Thanks for the good news update on your upcoming surgery.
Chet - Lotsa luck with the car auctions. What are you going to use the newfound space for? More cars or a new bigger layout (DCC of course)?:cool: I have never gotten used to momentum either. I have it and braking turned off on all my throttles.
Joe -
There are a trillion Army - Navy stories, most untrue.
Reminds me of when Phyllis George became Miss America in 1971. I was going to school in Denton TX where she was from and attended school, and all of a sudden there were thousands of guys who supposedly "dated" her.
Greg - Regarding the "creeper", no room under the layout?
Curt - Best wishes regarding your procedure.
Johnny - I truly get pissed when persons who are visibly sick expose others like that. When at work, I regularly excused them from meetings (well kicked out) to avoid exposing other key team members. Received kudos for my actions sometimes. Don't know if you and the others had that option.
Beady - Lousy Susan...brings back some forgotten memories from when I used to watch TV. That panorama thing looks interesting.
Terry - TX legislature just eliminated auto inspections here, but doesn't go into effect until 2018. Cost to me is $7.50, but those in neighboring "metro" counties get hit with $65, (air quality). It stays in effect for them!
Garry - Have a safe trip.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning y'all. 65° and sunny. Morning low this morning was 50°. This will be the last cool day for a while.

Auto inspections in NJ are free...that is the cost is incorporated in the annual registration. New cars are exempt for five years, after five years the requirement is for alternate years. This is for emmisions only, no mechanical inspection.

Good Morning -- It's supposed to ONLY reach 86 today! A welcome relief from the triple digits of the past few days.

Too much to process -- Information Overload!
More coffee plus
My larger dog, Foxie, is sick .. need to get her to the Vet this morning.

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 75.
Really fuming at myself today. I was carrying my new laptop downstairs to put in the car for the commute to work, and the handle on the carry bag caught the door handle.
At the top of the stairs.
The good news is, the bag contained the parts that exploded when it hit the concrete floor from 10 feet up, bouncing off the steps on the way down.
I don't think this is covered by the factory warranty...

Back