Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

Eric - The HP I mentioned is more expensive than some, but before we bought it, I had done a lot of research on printers and it was one of the higher rated printers. We also have one in our office that I do not use, but one comment about it was the long cartridge life. The cartridges are physically larger, needless to say, holding more ink.

I am not saying that it is the best printer out there, or the cheapest, but the quality of the prints and photos is excellent, and as I mentioned, long cartridge life. There could be less expensive ones out there, but at the time we got this one, it was the best bang for the buck. Yoy might check out Staples web site and see what they have to offer. That's where I had planned on getting ours, but they were out of stock and we happeed across the same printer at Costco.

You feel rested now ???????

Eric - The HP I mentioned is more expensive than some, but before we bought it, I had done a lot of research on printers and it was one of the higher rated printers. We also have one in our office that I do not use, but one comment about it was the long cartridge life. The cartridges are physically larger, needless to say, holding more ink.

I am not saying that it is the best printer out there, or the cheapest, but the quality of the prints and photos is excellent, and as I mentioned, long cartridge life. There could be less expensive ones out there, but at the time we got this one, it was the best bang for the buck. Yoy might check out Staples web site and see what they have to offer. That's where I had planned on getting ours, but they were out of stock and we happeed across the same printer at Costco.

You feel rested now ???????

Yes, I'm much better today. I've been out for several walks.

I agree about longer cartridge life for sure.
I also do want good quality photo prints. Doesn't have to be portrait quality however.

Ain't that some shit about Dale Jr. retiring?
I know he's had a couple concussions and that sure doesn't sit well.
It's happened to me several times.
E

Joe - I don't hang out on the B&O Yahoo group, so this news [about Cumberland closing] is the first I've heard about it. A recent issue of TRAINS had an article with a map of all the Class 1 railroads' "core" routes, and unfortunately, the B&O's West End wasn't one of them. In fact the only core right-of-way in the state of Maryland is the Camden Line between DC and Baltimore. And even that is in question, since the NIMBYs in Baltimore are fighting against allowing CSX to enlarge the Howard Street Tunnel to accommodate double-stacks. Combine that with EH Harrison running CSX, and it won't surprise me if Maryland becomes a "trainless" state within my lifetime!:(

Ken: Don't believe that Maryland will become trainless anytime soon. Still too many rail centered industries, however, as things change, so changes the way things are done.
With the NS intermodal gateway at Front Royal, VA, traffic via the NS goes up the former Reading through Rutherford to Jersey and beyond. All of that Southern Rwy stuff used to go through Pot yard, and North on the PRR/PC. The former ACL/SAL/SCL/SBD traffic that went RF&P to PY, still goes through the Virginia Ave Tunnel, and Howard St Tunnel. Virginia Ave project is moving right along, under contentious oversight of the District Government and the local Millenial Uppies. I'm sure the Baltimore City Government will ultimately allow the same. Once it becomes clear to the political crowd that business at the Port of Baltimore will be harmed by the lack of rail access to the South and West if Howard Street Tunnel is not redone, things will go more quickly. Like 'em or not if you want people to pay taxes, they need jobs...
Hump yards have a specific function that has lessened over time. Presently, Humps are vulnerable to closing. On the PC, humps at Bay View(Baltimore), and Edgemoor, (Wilmington), went away were closed and leveled in the 70s, yet both yards still function as flat switching terminals.

Eric - I don't blame him on wanting to retire. It is a grueling schedule schedule for NASCAR drivers. Racing from February to November racing most weekends and then doing work for their sponsors. He has enough going for him that he shouldn't have to worry about money.

Check around for printers. They're coming out with new models on a regular basis. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that works. I have printed photographs on photo paper with mine and the results are excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Volunteering was canceled today so I worked on the kit for a little over 3 hours. I'm trying a new way to do tar paper roofs. I read about it and liked the looks of it, so why not? Not sure what is on tap for tomorrow.

Talked to Phil today and he is doing OK, pretty much DDSS same as me.

Chet- I was going to ask if that was your layout but it's been answered. Very nice video, and thanks for your kind comments.

Willie- Nice looking build. Thanks for the kind words.

Garry- Thank You.

20170522_150916_zpsibw6ob2n.jpg

I hope everyone has a great night.

Eric...I have an Epson NX420 that I got from Staples a couple of years ago. Sorry,can't remember the price. Its wireless injet printer that scans,copies and prints....I don't think it has a fax thingy built into it though. It works really well.

cheers
Gene

Gene -I really liked both of the Epson printers we had. Fantastic photo prints from them. My biggest gripe with both of them were how quick the ink cartridges lasted. To try to save a few bucks, we had them refilled and in a short time, the printers were ruined not using factory cartridges. i do like the HP we have now, and it is also wireless. My wife cn print off her bowling stats and line up for the next week from her laptop wireless.

Curt - The building really looks good, but a bit lonely where it is.

Tome to get out of here. Have to pick up some bow wow chow for the princess.

One last photo of a mine on the Livingston layout.

IMAG1166.jpg

GENE - I knew that it was not your layout, but I have seen some of your work that I was commenting on.
Just saying that I like your style.

Anyone heard from Winslow Ron lately?

Phil- I don't even have a sheet of plywood with any track down! Don't beat yourself up!
Me and you are train fans clear and simple. You are a better fan than I am - LOL.

Thanks Sherrel...your comment is appreciatted. I just wanted to be sure that nobody thought I was trying to take credit for somebody elses work.

Chet...I mthink everybody wishes that printer cartridges lasted longer. This unit takes 4 cartriidges...the regular ones seem to last quite well...but the extra large ones really last a long time.

Good morning, 60° and cloudy. Forecast is for warmer and less rain.

Congratulations to the Nashville Predators, who advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time.

Ken (MD), Justin
, and others following the changes at the CSX yard in Cumberland, another forum advises that the facility will remain open, the changes involve leveling the hump and replacing it with a flat switching yard.

Good Morning, black coffee this day, Flo; couldn't sleep - don't have knowledge of why not!

Here's the weather guessers guess?
Today is forecast to be COOLER than yesterday.
Today
High 90 | Low 58 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 93.9 | Low 55.1 °F
Precip. 0 in

Congrats to Nashville also ....
Congrats to David - getting his tractor running again .... I thought that a cure for cancer might be found beforehand!

Been hunting for a photo of this piece of trackage on NZed's North Island Main Trunk which brought trains up from Wellington, through the rugged mountainous region (Rimutaka Ranges) to that city's north and the central high country, known as the Rimutaka Incline.

140x1_02m1_zpsvm5kqmeg.png

Built in 1878 on a 1-15 grade, it used a special track with a central raised rack. The locos engaged the track with horizontal cogs on either side of that rail, called the "Fell" system. 6 Fell engines served this section along with 5 normal helpers and several Fell brake vans. The Incline served until Dec 3 1953, when the 5.6 mile Rimutaka tunnel was opened. In the photo there are at least 4 of the Fells in use and also at the back of the train, the brake vans. A real bottleneck on the main line. The curve the train is rounding is known simply as Siberia, for the strong winds that blow up and across it. The fences were put up here and in other places on this route in response to a passenger train of 3 coaches and 1 goods wagon, being blown off the track and down the steep slope in 1898. 4 children died a several passengers were injured as a result. It was only the fell track that held the loco on the track and fortunately the couplings held on the cars hanging down the slope..

Good morning everyone. Room for one more here at this table? A big cup of regular and a cinnamon doughnut to dunk in it, please, Flo!

60 and overcast, heading for 65 and a 50% chance of rain today and tomorrow.

Got my monthly MBKlein fix yesterday - a couple of NYC flat cars, a trestle bridge, and a few scenery items. This rr habit is going to kill our budget - - I keep telling MOH that it's just to get this layout up and running - - I suspect she knows that's not true :rolleyes: Still hoping to get that first complete loop done this week. Will post photos.

See ya later. have a good day everyone.

Ariana AKBAR! Had enuff YET? No of course you have not and we need to bring in more muzzloids! Oh i'm sorry is this too "political"? How can it be political when it's a "religion" and aren't they supposed to be separate? Oh I'm sorry, islam is political TOO? oh well ain't that a beeyoch! I'm madder than a hatter and twice as disgusted! So I'm LAUGHING all the way to hell, a hell made from PC lib/dems who in their self loathing and suicidal tendencies are importing animals who will be killing us ALL!

Have a day!

Toot - you posted just as I was posting. Impressive scenery, as always, from NZ. Between your train photos and videos and the fact that The Hobbit and the LOTR movies were filmed there makes me want to visit there some day.

Good Morning All. 60° and mostly cloudy, wet outside from a brief thundershower that passed through around midnight, only left .25" of rain. Didn't mention it yesterday, but I also avoid Walmart at all costs. I go only for charcoal. Got the air conditioner installed without incident yesterday, but the power cord is 6" too short. Looks like I finally have a use for some of that 10 gauge Romex that I have leftover from running power to ther train shed.
Speaking of the train shed, I did nothing but run trains yesterday, that's what they are there for!

Garry - Thanks for the comment. I am planning a rural small town scene that I hope turns out as good as the photos that you post.
Chet - Thanks for the info. I have considered recessing the the jack as you suggest, as two of my five current locations are in 30" aisles. Of course I am also a lone operator so it may not be an issue. I am using the throttle like the other one that you pictured, but I can't remember who made it. It is a "bare bones" system but does everything that I need. It has momentum that I have never used in operation.
Johnny - Thanks for the concern and for the comment. All of the wild weather missed me as well as the mild rains until the pseudo-rain last night. No "safe room" yet this spring, thankfully!
Sherrel - Sounds like a wild adventure. Good thing that you had man's best friends along for protection! Thanks for the comment, I'll post some more pics soon.
Gene - Nice use of space on the layout that you posted. Reminds me of some of the layouts that an Englishman, whose name escapes me now, does.
Terry - Loved your comment regarding DCC!
Phil - Like Chet said, don't be a stranger!
Eric - I am saddened by Dale Jr.'s retirement as well, but I think that he realizes that with all of the concussions and stuff, he might be joining dad sooner than later.
Curt - Thanks for the comment.
Sherrel - Back to you. You're up early today! I don't think that Winslow Ron has posted in about a month, he'd been sticking with Ken's bridge build. Great news about David, he must have called you personally.

OK, running late. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Back