Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Rainy here today and overcast. Did some chores this morning and after lunch I started on the 4 truck ramps that are mounted on the flats. I got most of them done but still need to mount hand rails on the sides of them. I guess I overdid it yesterday because my back is very stiff today and it was hard getting comfortable last night in bed.

VA Ken- The bridge decking looks great.

Sherrel- Nice job for VA Ken.

Louis- Great pictures. Who doesn't love the Constitution. I like the locos paint scheme but had to enlarge the the picture to see what the yellow was.

Johnny- Have you soldered your rail joiners yet? If not, it sounds like that will fix your power issue.

Garry- I called Phil and let him know.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Anxiously awaiting another package that has gone missing and from tracking, once again after leaving the entry point in Australia. Passed through Sydney on the 13th, no sign of since. Auspost can't even track it past the US. USPS had it, prior to Sydney at Honolulu, then in Louisville 6 hours later, then back to Honolulu about the same amount of time after that, with Sydney about 7 hours later. The first one that went astray was from China in January and has never been seen since being handed over to an un-named courier. Got refunded on that one. This latest one from the US, I don't want to lose regardless. If it doesn't get here today, that's 2 full business weeks since it landed. Not happy.

Baltimore was a Pirate town and I mean that in the best way, My research has indicated it was the Pirate Trade that gave the Colonies the Hard Currency they used to finance the Revolution. They could not spend their "loot" anywhere else with as good results, ship repair was available, provisions, shore leave entertainments and a safe haven to "heal up" in between raids in the gulf area was all to be had only a few hundred miles away. England was starving us for cash at the time and any ship with Spanish(or British) Gold aboard was WELCOME!

The downside of Baltimore for pirates was there is only one way out. The British pirated our ships more than we did theirs. They even shanghaied our seamen, forcing them to enlist in the British navy. One of the reasons for the war of 1812. Baltimore got a chance to shine in that war!

I'll be obtaining some batteries and posting pics of the items for sale on the proper thread ASAP.

Let me knw when you post it, I'll be looking!

Good morning from Big Sky country where we started off the day at 36 degrees.

TEAM USA - View attachment 61091

Louis - Enjoyed your photos as usual. The USS Torsk I believe was the last US submarine to sink an enemy ship at the end of WWII in the Pacific. Here she is before heading to Baltimore Harbor.

View attachment 61090

As usual you are correct sir! Not only the last submarine to sink a ship, she sank the last ship of WWII

Louis .... Interesting photos. In particular, the buses in one photo reminded me of a job I had while going to college. I drove GM transit buses similar to those in the picture. .... Woe, Am I that old ? LOL

Garry you are not old, you are experienced! :)

Louis- Great pictures. Who doesn't love the Constitution. I like the locos paint scheme but had to enlarge the the picture to see what the yellow was.

I love that paint scheme too! First time I saw it I was bringing my boys home from school when the crossing lights came on when we were traveling south on Dundalk Ave. There she was right in front of us pulling 3 cars loaded with lumber headed to Weyerhaeuser. One of these days I am actually going to take some pictures!

Just after my previous post and once again checking tracking, the postie passed by. Checked the mailbox, here was a small plastic postage bag. "Hooray, it's arrived" methinks. On opening it's not the one I am waiting for, but the one supposedly from China (phone speakers). Look at the "sent from" address, say's Victoria. Look harder because I immediately think it's come from within Aussie, but no, it's Victoria in the Seychelles. The speakers themselves don't match the appearance of the ones on the listing, so I guess they're generics.

Ray, I don't know if I told you, but I put that surplus P2 decoder in that Alco, and it runs well, and sounds like my other one.

In other news, we got a shredded letter in an envelope today. It appears there was an accident with the sorting machine, which mauled it pretty good. At least it made it here.
Too bad it was an advertisement addressed to a person that hasn't lived here in 20 years...

Did the final cleanup and put the facia back up were I needed access to the wiring. Just running trains now and setting up the freight cars for the assignments.
Tomorrow I will work from home so I can get started on the rest of the assignments sooner in the afternoon because I won't have the 1 hour commute.

Ray, I don't know if I told you, but I put that surplus P2 decoder in that Alco, and it runs well, and sounds like my other one.

In other news, we got a shredded letter in an envelope today. It appears there was an accident with the sorting machine, which mauled it pretty good. At least it made it here.
Too bad it was an advertisement addressed to a person that hasn't lived here in 20 years...

Yes, you did say it was going well. Hope it has better sounds than the blueline version. It had quite good start-up and shutdown, but not much in between. Horn was playable to an extent. Video requested. My parcel has another week before the estimated delivery time expires. Still got a bit of Friday's afternoon left in this week. 2 weeks from Sydney so far is ridiculous. Could've driven there and back.

Boy it sure been a few days since I've said anything. I hope everyone is doing well. Great pics y'all have posted. I have been dealing with some stress here lately and it ain't been my trains. Going through contract negotiations here these past couple of weeks. It hasn't been good at all. My employer is trying to change everything in our contract. Out of the contract I have now they haven't touched a few things. Most they are seeking to change. There were no contract negotiation meetings this week as they were suspended. In a week we will either vote in a new contract or we will be standing outside the fence. I'm not one to want to go on strike. I do hope this evens itself out and we can get a good contract. The idea of striking has stressed me to death. Anyways I hope everyone has a wonderful night.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Boy it sure been a few days since I've said anything. I hope everyone is doing well. Great pics y'all have posted. I have been dealing with some stress here lately and it ain't been my trains. Going through contract negotiations here these past couple of weeks. It hasn't been good at all. My employer is trying to change everything in our contract. Out of the contract I have now they haven't touched a few things. Most they are seeking to change. There were no contract negotiation meetings this week as they were suspended. In a week we will either vote in a new contract or we will be standing outside the fence. I'm not one to want to go on strike. I do hope this evens itself out and we can get a good contract. The idea of striking has stressed me to death. Anyways I hope everyone has a wonderful night.

The way I remember it, strikes are kind of fun. You sit around in a car all night and eat stale pizza.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

The way I remember it, strikes are kind of fun. You sit around in a car all night and eat stale pizza.

Not the potential strike it's the lack of income during it that has me stressed out.

I'll throw this out there then I'm off to bed. Contract negotiations and the whole let's strike thing is one of the things I hate about being a union worker. But in the end when you toy with pay and incentives that we have what choice do you really have? You should treat your employees like they are your most valued asset. Not like red haired step children.

Not the potential strike it's the lack of income during it that has me stressed out.

I went and signed up with temp agencies for the duration. It wasn't much, but I ate.

Howdy gents. It would seem I'm back I think.
Just checking in for now since I have no clue when I last was here.
I have completed all my cancer treatments and got to "ring the bell" - for whatever that's worth.
Somewhere along the way I had a stroke or a bunch of minis leaving my my typing and other functions requiring dextrous efforts at somewhat of a loss and my hands lacking serious grip strength.
Well I'm here none-the-less.
E

Eric,
Happy to hear from you! As a stroke survivor, I can't stress enough therapy, therapy, therapy! And for fine motor skills,the hobby is great therapy to help relearn and reroute the brain synapses.
You beat the devil, now its just a matter of recovery. I've got faith in you, your tough, you're gonna make it!

Dang BigE, you've been through quite a bit lately. Hang in there guy.
Weekend eve here. It's a cold morning here. I was going to bust my diet and go out for some donuts, but it's to cold to ride.
Ops Session tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to some fun.

E!!! Great to see your post, keep on keeping on! You are living proof of the old saying; "you can't keep a good man down"

Good Morning to All. 66° and mostly cloudy. Very high winds continue, they averaged 25-28mph out of the south all day yesterday. Forecast is for them to drop to 15mph around sunset and shift from out of the west for 36 hours. That means a dust storm tomorrow afternoon as West Texas comes by for a visit. Semi-regular occurrence here. By the way, for those that follow my gardening adventures, critters ate most of the spinach planting but I am picking radishes and asparagus right now. That's all that I expect right now. Lettuce in about a week.
Out in the train shed, I did complete the third oil loading platform minus the feeder pipes which haven't been decided on yet; depends on the final layout of the ethanol plant. Might be another month or two before I build the final one and start imagineering the plant more precisely. Current plans for the complex include a grain receiving facility, propane receiving and storage for the power plant, grain storage, two fermenting tanks, and a processing building. Yet to be decided is whether or not I add the power plant and ethanol storage tanks. Most of the buildings will be low-relief structures made of PikeStuff walls along the backdrop. I don't expect to start until late summer as I have other half-finished projects that I intend to complete first. Just baiting you all right now!

Ken (D&J) - While I wasn't in as bad a situation, I was no longer being used but was being paid, I was also counting the days towards retirement. I ended up leaving earlier than planned (at 63 1/2), simply because I was bored and the entire company was moving to a different location. On a brighter note, it sounds like a great operating session coming up tomorrow.
Joe - You're right about the rural VFD's. The trucks used around here can only hold about 750 gallons each and my pool has 13,000 gallons. Normally the tanker truck from the county gets here before they need a second refill. Interesting that this came up yesterday morning, as there was a hay/barn/grass fire about two miles south of me yesterday, dangerous because of the high winds. Different county but much the same except they have more than one tanker truck. Fortunately it was contained quickly because it was in the midst of fields that are lush in wheat right now, as well as horse pastures. They do keep a list of available water sources which I readily volunteered for. Hey, it gets me a free BBQ dinner at the annual fund-raiser, but I donate as well.
Johnny - The irony is that by the time that I get the workbench completed, I won't need it anymore!:confused:
Chet - Yea! I start to run some trains while I am waiting for glue or paint to dry and get sidetracked for hours!:eek:
Toot - When did you move to Terry's neighborhood???
Justin - I hope that all goes well in your contract negations. Thankfully for me as a management member for over 35 years, we were in Texas where unions are not exactly prevalent except for a few occupations. At least at our company, we always treated all employees fairly and equally so they never even considered it. I know that it is not true in many other cases.
Eric - I have not heard the expression "ring the bell" except at supermarket check-outs, but I am going to assume that it means successful treatment and the cancer is either in remission or gone. That's great news. As Karl posted, get the rehab therapy for the stroke and you will be good to go again soon. We're still behind you and I look forward to regular layout updates in the future.

Let's all go out tonight and celebrate Eric's good news.
Everyone have a great Friday.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, everyone. 63, heading toward low 70's and then thunderboomies hit! I'll have a cup of regular and one glazed doughnut, please.

Toot - (Cue theme music from "Twilight Zone") Some postal workers somewhere are playing games with you and Terry - Hey, pay me and I'll hand-carry your next US order - I'd love to visit Australia!!

Big Eric - Welcome back. have some coffee and swap some railroad stories - that'll improve the day. Keep on recovering!!

Willie - You mean you've put together every kit you'll ever need?! :)

From the train room - MBKlein order came right on schedule (Terry and Toot - you guys need to move to Springfield). Nice new Athearn Genesis NYC loco, some vehicles, some landscaping stuff, switches, a freight car I've wanted, etc. Only got an hour in the trainroom b/c of some outdoor tasks I needed to get done first. This next week should see some nice progress in the freight yard - will post a pic.

See ya later. have a good day/weekend everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back