Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Good morning y'all. 19° and sunny this morning. The NWS has a "Blizzard Warning and a Coastal Flooding Warning" in effect for "Coastal Central NJ". Local snowfall totals could be as high as 20", or as low as 4", as they have this new forecast tool which gives a chart listing probable accumulation, minimum accumulation and maximum accumulation. Most likely is 16". I suppose that now, they can claim accuracy, no matter what the result. In any event, what's gonna happen will happen.

Pfft! A half an inch of snow and a plow truck just went by, it's a wonder that they did not NAME this one, it can't just rain or suchlike anymore it has to be an EVENT! SHEESH! Things happen in life and there is enough to worry about without manufactured "drama" over every little thing like weather. Oy, I'm becoming a CROTCH as I age, I yousta be all happy go lucky, I don't know what happened. NOT impressed anymore by a hole lotta much, and I guess I'm tired of watching people make the same mistakes over and over when there is plenty of evidence and example out there to make them easily avoidable.

Be safe out there.

The did name the storm hitting here tonight- tomorrow. Its winter storm Stella..........has me thinking about doing my Treat Williams impressions in the middle of the street....in the snow.....scaing the neighbors. LOLOL.

Good morning, all. A great BIG cup of coffee, please, and a chocolate croissant! 39 here in SW MO, going up one degree all day. We dodged the bullet again over the weekend - all the snow fell in northern Missouri (or is that pronounced "Misery"?) and south into Arkansas. Predicting flurries this week, but back into the 60s and 70s by the weekend.

Train show sponsored by Ozark Model Railroad Association (OMRA) was good. Forgot to take any photos. Bought a couple of NYC freight cars for $8-$10 each, and picked up a 1946 NYC timetable - thought it was interesting that on the open cover it says, "Ready for your first post-war vacation?" Neat little piece of memorabilia. MOH bought something she wouldn't let me see, so I'm guessing 'present' for some future event. Glad she's supportive of the hobby. OMRA does two of these shows a year, one in the spring and one in the fall. Lots of vendors, several portable layouts running, train simulator, etc.

Here's a photo of the trainyard.

Train Yard Mar12-2017.jpg
Right side outer track is the mainline, right side inner track services the trainyard. I forget who it was who suggested that approach (so we could have a back-in trainyard since we don't have enough room for a pull-through), but it works. The next two roadbeds on the right are for the two-stall train barn that I'm building even now - you can see the base of the barn still in place since I used it for laying the roadbed. The next 5 roadbeds are for the freight cars that will be staged in the yard. Not a tenth of the size some of your layouts have, but hey, it works in our cramped space. I calculate 25-30 freight cars will fit in this area.

This week I'll lay the rest of the track on these roadbeds. After I took the photo, I ran the engine around to make sure everything works - sure enough, it didn't! Every time the engine got to that back lefthand bend in the right side inner track, one wheel would rise up and go off the track - train kept running, but with one wheel out of whack. I cleaned the track, loosened some spikes and tightened others, nothing helped. Finally checked the radius of the turn itself - it was way too hard a curve - I must have put that in late one night or without enough coffee in me!! So I pulled up the track, ripped out the trackbed, sanded and cleaned the surface, re-laid the roadbed and glued it down using an 18-inch radius guide (minimum my engines will run on). Tonight I'll re-lay the track and see if that takes care of the problem, which I'm pretty sure it will. Hey - this is fun stuff, even the problem-solving part of the hobby! :)

See ya later. Have a good day, everyone.

Good morning. A black coffee please. 35 degrees to start off the day.

I didn't mean to rub anything in with my comment on the weather yesterday. I do have to laugh when the new people go into a panic when a storm hits the east coast. A snow fall of a foot or two out here doesn't even get mentioned on the news most of the time. A foot of snow out here is a minor inconvenience whereas on the east coast with dense populations, I can see where it can be a problem. A lot of people don't have a clue of how to drive in bad weather and grocery stores can be overwhelmed with people stocking up for a storm.

I will admit that it can be a problem and I am glad that I am where I am and don't have to deal with it. Hope everyone effected gets through it alright.

Apparently, Montana has decided to do away with Daylight Savings Time. The state legislature has passed a bill and when standard time come about next fall, it will be gone.

Ken in VA - Did you get any photos of the train show ?

Terry - I am shocked that the doctors office admitted their mistake and made the refunds. What a suprise that must have been.

Louis - I enjoyed the old photos you posted over the weekend.

Garry - Cool photos.

On the E-9 in Deer Lodge. I did miss them getting it off of the rails onto the the trailer. Didn't know for sure when it was going tpo arrive. My cousin called and I couldn't make it in time, but did get to see it being moved through town like in the video.

#36.jpg Deer Lodge pair.jpg

Back in the 80's I did contribute to the restoration of E-70 which is also in Deer Lodge next to the E-9. I did get to see it moved from the tracks and to the site just south of the old state prison. Quite the job. I do have photos of that move, somewhere. This meant a lot to the old employees of the Milwaukee Road and to the town.

Later.

Attachments

• 7505243120_9d217c7b64_b.jpg
    7505243120_9d217c7b64_b.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by a moderator:
Joe ... I'll root for both my Cats and your Cats unless they play each other. ....

Looks like that won't happen until the final four:cool:. That was a cool photo. Short lines can respond quickly in many ways. FWIW, one analyst on Fox Sports ran an algorithm using basketball anaylitics, that eliminated everyone as a possibility except for Gonzaga, UK, and "Nova. The final criteria left UK standing alone. So....

Good Morning All. 48° and overcast...still dark! Weather gurus are still predicting rain, which they have forecast since Friday, but it still hasn't materialized. Not to rub it in Beady (well maybe), but we're expecting mid-60's to mid-80's for the next ten days. Back to the shorts and tee shirts.
Last week, I posted a picture of a cardstock grocery store, and mentioned that it looked too flat. I added some stripwood around the windows and doors to give it a little more depth.
View attachment 60987
Looks like that worked.

Chet - It isn't fair that your pm temperature yesterday was warmer than mine! Oh well, I guess that once a year is acceptable.
Beady - "Verga" That ain't what that means here in Texas! http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=verga
Louis - Not too sure how you could not open a package from Karl immediately. Especially knowing what it might be ahead of time! I sure couldn't wait.
Terry - Maybe you won't be able to see the snow!
Karl, Ken (VA), Ken (MD), Louis, Justin, Ray, Joe, Jim, Terry, Tony and any others soon to be affected by the weather. Keep safe and warm.

National Napping Day Hmmm! I guess that I'll just take an extra one since I celebrate that every day. Today is also the beginning of St. Patrick's Week for us Irish folks. It's more than just a day. Local Catholic bishops have granted a dispensation allowing corned beef to be eaten on this coming Lenten Friday.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie
I misspelled it. Should be virga. Damned spellchecker.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

fa2793a8f2188e2251065088b5b06e0d.jpg

Some Chessie Dash 7s in the now gone Hinton, WV yard. Decline of coal means decline in yards. The Huntington shops here are in a decline as well. Even though they have just freshly painted a Dash 7 bound for a museum in PA. There were photos of it that were leaked but have since disappeared as they weren't supposed to be released.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Speaking of landslides, did all y'all hear about the garbage avalanche in Africa? At least 45 people killed. We might think we have it bad here, but most of us don't have to live in a garbage dump.
Ever been to Cleveland?

Snow, snow and more snow!!!

Have to take the wife's car for an oil change...lucky its got four wheel drive.

Greg

Mornin train peeps, Flo, stock up on coffee, it looks like the diner will be full tomorrow. Ill have another cup, Flo!...she just walked away..... Flo Flo.....

It looks like a foot or two for Western mass starting in 18 hours. I thought I would need a snowblower but nope. I started a topic talking about "Aircraft on Trains" so, gonna need this to follow that discussion: (hehe)

snow blower2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin train peeps, Flo, stock up on coffee, it looks like the diner will be full tomorrow. Ill have another cup, Flo!...she just walked away..... Flo Flo.....

HA-HA ... Story of my life, Tony, good one!
Beady -- What did I miss about Cleveland?
Chet -- I cannot decide what I think about DST. All I can say is that the piecemeal of some states and cities not in the flow sure plays the dickens with airline crews. I have thought for years that a change of 1/2 hour of all the time zones and then leave it there
Nice photo of the "Little Joe".
Garry - nice photo, pretty.
Willie- very nice building - What a difference with the trim! Like I said .. I have to try some of those.

I have enough "blanks" cut, I think for all of Ken in VA bridge decking with about 1/4 of the sticks cut and about 100 of the finished bridge ties. Need about 800, I think?
Back to sawing!

I lied about the temp yesterday - It was 90.7 for a high!
Supposed to be 90 AGAIN today, Sunny and Clear.

HA-HA ... Story of my life, Tony, good one!
Beady -- What did I miss about Cleveland?
Chet -- I cannot decide what I think about DST. All I can say is that the piecemeal of some states and cities not in the flow sure plays the dickens with airline crews. I have thought for years that a change of 1/2 hour of all the time zones and then leave it there
Nice photo of the "Little Joe".
Garry - nice photo, pretty.
Willie- very nice building - What a difference with the trim! Like I said .. I have to try some of those.

I have enough "blanks" cut, I think for all of Ken in VA bridge decking with about 1/4 of the sticks cut and about 100 of the finished bridge ties. Need about 800, I think?
Back to sawing!

I lied about the temp yesterday - It was 90.7 for a high!
Supposed to be 90 AGAIN today, Sunny and Clear.
If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you.

Sherrel - You are right about Daylight Savings Time. It can really screw things up if all of the states aren't on the same time. Indiana does not change times and the whole state with the exception of the northwest corner near Chicago. Confusing ? Don't know what will happen up here. If you are coming across North Dakota, the time change is at about Bismarck where it goes from central to mountain time. Depending on what time of year, you could have to go back to central time when you hit the Montana border. Th same would happen if you went south from Montana into Wyoming. A watch would probably confuse things even more.

At least if that happens, I'll have an excuse for not knowing if I'm Coming or going.

Howdy

Regarding Daylight Time, it must be extremely costly to change millions of clocks twice a year. ... Another useless "accomplishment" by Congress.

Chet ..... Another locomotive is about to be hauled with a machinery mover contractor. It is the 4-8-4 steam locomotive at a city park in Nashville. It is the NC&StL "Dixie". It will be in the shops for a couple of years preparing for excursion train service.

Back