Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. A little cooler today at 54 degrees and partly cloudy skies. Yesterday was a beautiful day here with temperature at 72 degrees. I spent all day planting tomatoes and peppers in the garden. The only action in the train shed was a little running when I gave my back a break!
Eric - At least you will have more time for modeling after the job ends!
Curt - Been there, done that on the leaking plastic cut-off valve. Easter Sunday actually. Fortunately I was able to fix it myself with a $9.50 part from Home Depot, a "Shark Bite" connector. Where I am at out in the boonies, a plumber costs $120/hr on non-holiday/weekend rates. At those rates, one learns how to fix things themselves. What is the building used for. All I see around here is simple metal structures for signal/switch equipment.
Ken in MD - Look forward to your plant build.
Sherrel - I actually planted more than I expected because my wife brought some additional plants home from the Farmer's Mart. Total yesterday was 26 tomato and 11 pepper plants. I have more to plant today. Back when I was in college many years past, I lived in a house with a very small backyard. I dug holes around the front yard and planted my tomatoes out there. I lived on a US highway (77) inside the town of Denton TX. It was an odd sight, but no one messed with them or me about it.
Well, everyone have a great April Fool's Day today.

Willie

And here I was telling everyone to wake up in the old place.
I'll let them know you opened a new one if you don't.
E.

Eric - At least you will have more time for modeling after the job ends!

While true, I won't have any income to support my habit.
Fortunately, I should have plenty of material on hand as is.
Certainly, no new "big ticket" purchases - like anymore engines.
.... sigh...

11 more hours and my weekend starts!!!
E.

35 out here. Should warm up. Had a little rain/snow mix on the drive in to work. Hopefully clearing up.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

63 and light rain heading to 75 this afternoon with rain diminishing this evening.
E.

Thought I'd post up some pictures of the wooden laser cut bridge on the RMCQ layout that I showed on Allan Curtis's thread with a few more showing the scenes development. Made by two of the club members who have a model building business.

20160220PA_Bridge0.jpg

20160220PA_Bridge1.jpg

20160220PA_Bridge3.jpg

20160220PA_Bridge7.jpg

Good morning. 68*F and cloudy with a 11mph SSW breeze in central MD.

Ken in MD - Look forward to your plant build.
Thanks Willie. This Saturday I'm hoping to haul a truckload of old 'junk' lumber and other large debris away from the wall where I am planning to build. I always run into the agonizing dilemma of "Should I save this or toss it?" where, it seems like two weeks later, I discover that one of the items I tossed would have been perfect for the current project! <<expletive>> Murphy...

Good Morning, 64° and overcast this morning. Happy Friday, Y'all.

In the just closed coffee shop, Ken wrote:

"Joe - that's a cool piece of history about the Edison plant! The Dearborn facility, which was the closest to my childhood hometown (Farmington), also produced Mustangs - but only the "regular" kind."

Ken: Coincidentally, my new F150 came from Dearborn. Edison was closed and demolished in 2002. Chester (PA) was a truck plant in later years. They began shipping finished product in bi-levels in 1959, then closed in 1960. It became a Reynolds Aluminum Electrical cable plant in 1961.

I will definitely look forward to your "build thread".

Good Morning--30 and cloudy. I think the high is 32. It looks like I will be in the office pretty much all day, originally planned to go out and look at trout streams but maybe wait until next week when it warms up.

more later

Good morning. It's cloudy and 60. There was some weather from yesterday evening until an hour or so ago. It was--interesting.

So much for a weekend! I told my wife that we would go out to eat and do whatever she wanted this weekend. Got to work last night and the GF (General Foreman) told me that six of us would work Saturday and, if needed, Sunday. We'll be measuring the holes in the tubesheets on the condenser for the boilers. ALL 60,000 tubes, which means 120,000 holes total because we have to do both ends.

Day shift has been pulling the tubes and cutting them up for scrap. They are stainless steel and the bores in the tube sheets are supposed to be .890". Only thing is there are a lot that aren't round or have deep scratches in them or some are actually good to go. We have to map the tube sheets so they'll know what to do with which one's. This has been going on for several days, so it all it lacks is finishing.:rolleyes:

I'm the union steward on night shift so I have to be around if there's work going on. We've got 15 guys coming in Monday night so we'll have more help. The GF and Superintendent said it looked like at least four weeks of 7-12's til it's done. It could take even longer.

It'll be a money maker but it'll be a killer too. I just hope I can survive! Some of the holes will have to be sleeved and rolled (expanded with a roller system that seals the tube against the tubesheet) before the tubes can be put in, then they get rolled on both ends. Going to be a LOT of work.

The condenser is a giant heat exchanger that changes the steam coming from the turbines on the generator to water before being fed to the boiler to begin the process over again. There might be something on YouTube about rolling tubes if anyone's curious. Hope everyone has a great day..........I plan on sleeping my away. That'll be my idea of a great day!

Good morning. 35 degrees to start off the day.

Toot - Quite the project. The bridge looks great. Make sure you post some updated photos when the scene is done.

Garry - You really didn't want to go out and spend money all weekend long. I hate when things like that happen. banghead_125.gif

Eric - You'll be putting the hurt on Terry with a low cash flow.

Eric - You'll be putting the hurt on Terry with a low cash flow.
Other than a pair of F units, I'm pretty much sold out. I've made the decision that if I continue to sell off my stuff to generate cash, eventually I won't have any stuff, and will still be broke. I might still sell some stuff, but only to finance new purchases.

Kind of quiet on here this afternoon. It turned out to be a beautiful, sunny afternoon here. about 40 out and a light breeze.

I picked up another GP 18 today, got it on ebay new in the package for $60:

GP 18 1779.jpg

Here is the used one I got last week. I took out the decoder, noticed one of the grabs on the roof is missing. The space in the cab was easy to fix, also adding lighting:

GP 18 1774.jpg

There were also a couple men on seats floating around in the chassis, they are unpainted, maybe supposed to look like shadows or do people paint them?

Kind of quiet on here this afternoon. It turned out to be a beautiful, sunny afternoon here. about 40 out and a light breeze.

I picked up another GP 18 today, got it on ebay new in the package for $60:

View attachment 56585

Here is the used one I got last week. I took out the decoder, noticed one of the grabs on the roof is missing. The space in the cab was easy to fix, also adding lighting:

View attachment 56586

There were also a couple men on seats floating around in the chassis, they are unpainted, maybe supposed to look like shadows or do people paint them?
They are supposed to go on a couple of holes next to the windows. They do look best painted, but most pople leave them black.

They are supposed to go on a couple of holes next to the windows. They do look best painted, but most pople leave them black.

Thanks, Terry. I found the mounting tabs and think I will keep mine black. Is it typical to have a couple doors open, the way #1774 came?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back