Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherrell: Thanks, it is frustrating to say the least.

I started to call you about 10:00 till I looked at the time on the cell phone and cut the call off.

Good afternoon track gang,

Hi Flo & Francine, How is everything here at Jeffreys' Dinner? How about a cup of coffee and a apple fritter? Thanks

I'm supposed to get some rain according to the weather and felt I should get back up on the roof to check things over as I had a couple of patches blow down but my Left knee was bothering me from weed waking yesterday so I didn't feel like climbing the ladder too get up there. I've put a fair number of extra patches here and there so one or two of them could have blown down? Hopefully the couple of patches were not overly important?

I thought I lost this post but I was working in two windows of the forum being open and I guess the other one transfered the post to this window. Alright!

Curt: I'm not sure if you were referring to me or Dave/LASM? If it was me, thanks for the compliment, it's true that hand laying track requires a lot more checking too insure that is functioning as expected and when a situation like I mentioned where even just a truck with the narrower tread code 88 ribbed back wheels fall between the rail heads when I was trying to place it on them you know something is wrong. I'll have to admit that I'm only spiking about every 8th tie as the Central Valley Tie strips [CVTs] have very accurately in gauge pre-molded tie plates, for my code 70 rail, to them which do hold the rail base in position very nicely so they help me to move a little faster rather than attempting to spike every 4th tie which would give a better hold but also a lot more labor intensive and use twice as many spikes which I'm running shy on, I think? I'm probably one of the few guy who actually straightens out bent spikes so they can be used again. I can always go back and add additional spikes to other ties as needed. Also. the interlocking end sections of these tie strips creates perfect alignment with the next 12" section so it's simple for me to add new sections of rail as I don't use any rail joiners between 3' sections or even switches. I just allow the rails of the switch/turnout to over lap the first tie with tie plates on it and alignment take place automatically. Adding sections of CVTs creates a continuous strip very much like a section of flex track without the rail. I can easily over lay the rails from my switches as I build them with rails that extend out from the frog area or before the throw arm by usually about 1.5" at the trow arm end and 3" at least beyond the frog area and these rails need to be supported on ties be it a short section of the CVTs or wood profile ties which are the same height. I also have to admit that the CVTs pre molded tie plates sure make them look a lot more realistic than just the rail spiked on wood ties! But I like the ability of being able to scrub the wood ties with a wire brush and create some deeply weathered groves in them, so it six of one, half-adozen of another in difference. I probably sound like a salesman for CVTs, well it would be nice to receive compensation. LoL

Eric: Prayers for your uncle Jim too.

Garry: Thanks for the apple fritters now and in the past, you've brought in here, they go great with coffee!

Sherrell I think your name is fine, but propwash is a good clean name too!

David/Lasm: Here's an idea for you, being that the Dinning room suite is of 1927 vintage, it's an antique! Sometimes furnature can go for big bucks! Contact a couple of large auction houses such as, 'Southerby's or Christie's ', they are both in the East I think. Take a few picture to send them, I think they may even come out and pick it up?

I wouldn't try and clean it up until you talk with them first as often it's worth more in it's original shape.

Hope this helps?!

Came across this video of the train line along part of the south coast of England (Devon). There is even a steam train featured, and it's awesome to see the steam and smoke from the engine being carried high up over the cliffs etc. Near the end of the clip there are scenes of the force that the sea can inflict on the strongest bulwarks that man can devise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lozPOg2hqpE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back