Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Good morning. 28 degrees this morning. Ready for a cup.

David - Nice of you to post how the Coffee Shop got its name. Many folks have joined the forum after Jeffery left us. Thanks. Quite a difference in the rail size.

Ken in VA - Nice to hear that your grand kids are excited to go to the train show. You should have some really good helpers in a few years.

Tony - Did you have to sleep on the couch??? That is a really nice looking locomotive. I needed mine like a hole in the head but couldn't resist it.

Curt - Thanks for the photos. The project seems to be coming along nicely.

Garry - Nice photo of the Concrete plant. Like the photos.

Ken in MD - Nice to see you in here. That caboose project should keep you busy. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Got to make a few phone calls, Catch you later.
No Chet, here is a link I sent to Louis: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...ng-Bear-s-Coffee-Shop-LXI&p=444526#post444526

Wow, it is hard keeping up to date with this site and remembering all the names, spelling with Bold, links, pics etc. It can be alot for my shrinking brain, I hope Johnny comes on board soon, he may be missing a great deal.

Are we getting close to moving?
I'm not going to post until we do - no one will pay ant attention to it .. and, I might have something intelligent to say.

If those two ladies were really in the coffee shop; I would bet there would be a lot less modeling going on!

I have to run to Wally World before it gets busy! Later guys.

I'll help us get to the next thread!

Darn AC did not work in my old truck yesterday - it was about 85 when I drove to the doctors office. I knew that it needed "recharging" last fall, but placed it on the back burner - then forgot. The truck is 19 years old and the AC has never been touched, but used really a lot out here!

85 degrees ???? If you're looking for sympathy, I don't think that many of us are going to give it to you. We're more concerned that out heaters work. icon_lol.gif

We came into a considerable amount of unexpected money yesterday (actually, the money from three credit card payments that went missing a few months ago was finally returned to us), and the wife said I can use some of it for a little retail therapy. So, I'm heading to the 400 - table Saline Middle School train show near Ann Arbor, this weekend.

Question: I've talked about my grandfather here, before. He's the one who worked as everything from brake man to conductor to engineer for the Michigan Central in the 20s and 30s. I was talking about him with my mother the other day, and she mentioned that it was dangerous for him, working flying switches. What are/were flying switches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Beady - A flying switch is when a crew member rides on a car that has been pushed into a siding or yard and uses the hand brake to stop the car, or a car is set in motion and uncoupled from a locomotive, and after the lcoomotive passes the switch, the switch is thrown to set the car into a siding.

[video=youtube;CO8KCgKqsPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8KCgKqsPU[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon fellers. Soooooo....Here is one of my projects I intend to hopefully start this weekend.
f614e2c891ad97c8d08fe299d39ec22e.jpg

My sand tower for a fact will get pieced together. I'm hoping to finish my structures here in the near future. Then I can focus on my trees and small details.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

No Chet, here is a link I sent to Louis: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...ng-Bear-s-Coffee-Shop-LXI&p=444526#post444526

Wow, it is hard keeping up to date with this site and remembering all the names, spelling with Bold, links, pics etc. It can be alot for my shrinking brain, I hope Johnny comes on board soon, he may be missing a great deal.

All - Tony and I were dialoging by PM. My earlier comments were just sort of a verbal "drool" since the loco bears NYCentral logo. That's the part of the country I'm modeling: New England and New York. But I'm modeling the diesel era and really not interested in steam. So I'm out regarding that ebay deal. Nice train, though.

Johnny

Justin - That's a nice kit. I almost got it but after measuring the footprint of the structures, it was just a tad too large to fit into the space that I wanted to put it in. Take your time painting it and you should have an outstanding group of buildings.

Justin - That's a nice kit. I almost got it but after measuring the footprint of the structures, it was just a tad too large to fit into the space that I wanted to put it in. Take your time painting it and you should have an outstanding group of buildings.
That's the one part I dread the most....Painting it. I plan to go slowly with the painting. The sand tower turned out pretty good. I may find myself back at my LHS to get some different colors to add in.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Justin - Painting all of the windows is what really takes time and patience. The buildings in the back of this photo behind the freight station is the original Merchants Row 1, which was cast resin. The merchants row buildings are the five to the left, the last one on the right is a DPM kit. They really can give the feeling of a small town. I still haven't put up any window shades or signs and this kit is well over 20 years. Can I procrastinate or what.

IMAG0126_BURST002.jpg

All - Tony and I were dialoging by PM. My earlier comments were just sort of a verbal "drool" since the loco bears NYCentral logo. That's the part of the country I'm modeling: New England and New York. But I'm modeling the diesel era and really not interested in steam. So I'm out regarding that ebay deal. Nice train, though.

Johnny

Have you thought about the Boston & Maine ????

boston-and-maine-railroad-map.jpg

Chet - our layout models a fictional blend of the NY Central, which was in operation from 1831-1968, and the Vermont Railway (1964-present), with probably a tip o' the hat to the New England Central. That covers the geographic area and the time frame I want, and I'm particularly focusing on the transition era (50's to late 60's), which I believe you model yourself. New York Central connects much of New England with Illinois and all points in the north central US in between. I wasn't familiar with Boston & Maine, but the map shows it to be too far east for my liking :)
Thanks.
Johnny

There were so many railroads serving the north east, freelancing is a good solution. You could have power from numerous railroads show up on your railroad and even possibly custom paint some locomotives for a fictional railroad of your own.

There were so many railroads serving the north east, freelancing is a good solution. You could have power from numerous railroads show up on your railroad and even possibly custom paint some locomotives for a fictional railroad of your own.

I've thought a little bit about custom painting a loco and creating our own railroad, but right now that's pretty far out there for a new guy like me. I'll be satisfied just to have a selection of NYC and Vermont locos and rolling stock, with a few things from other lines around the US.
Johnny

Back