Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

From my ancient history, OO equipment is larger than HO, but will run on HO track.
On30 will also run on HO track.
Back in the annals of time, early N scale was called OOO, or treble O. N comes from the first letter of nine, which is the gauge in mm.

I always thought "N" meant No sense.:rolleyes::p

I always thought "N" meant No sense.:rolleyes::p

N as in Noseeum!

Seriously, it's Captain Jean Luc Picard's favorite scale, how often have you heard him say "eNgage!" ?? :rolleyes:
Picard-Make-it-So-2.png

Joe- During my research I found drawings of what looks like a rectangular ground signal that hat 8 lights in 2 vertical rows of 4. I can't find any info on them or photos of them. Do you know anything about them? In the drawing they appear to be about 1/3 the height of a standard PL signal. They would be much easier to build than the curved ones.

http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/Bor1956/rulebook1956.html Check out the signal rules.

Curt: I believe what you are referring to is a pedestal type position light signal, used mainly in terminal areas. This drawing is a stop signal, Rule 292.
PRR Rule  292.gif
These are not dwarf signals. Under the signal rules section of the rule book, you will see drawings of various signal indications as displayed on different signal types. The rule will also tell you what the signal is conveying.

Sorry, It took me a while to notice this and get back to you, but it's Hockey Season, and I have been watching late games and sleeping in in the morning.:rolleyes:

Good evening Rail, Tie Placers & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, Seem like there's a lively discussion going on about Sherrels wheel sets and the possible re-gauging of the current wheel sets he has. I'll have my usual if you would, coffee and a Apple Fritter and how some Cinnamon on it. Thanks.

Checking Wunderground Weather it's 'Clear at 54.7 °F - Feels Like 55.6 °F;
Wind Gusts are from N at 1.2;

Tomorrow is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as today.
Today, High 72 | Low 48 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday, High -- | Low -- °F
Precip. -- in
Pressure 27.76 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Dew Point 35 °F
Humidity 47%
Rainfall 0 in

I've been doing some winterization around my place and put up a plastic sheet over the attic vent on the end of the garage to keep cold air from blowing in over the train room area. I also covered up all the ceiling vents last night with plastic to stop too much heat lose from going up the cooler ducts. I'm a one man show around here so it gets to be trying for sure but rewarding too.

Afternoon All,

Ran some errands earlier and continued online research. I found a Shapeways (3D printing) vendor (Keystones Details) that does the standard Pennsy dwarf shells 20 for $22.84 shipped. That's cheaper than I could do it for! The only downside is they have internal brackets for 4 square lights. I looked at the lights at I don't think I would like the looks and would prefer LED's so I will need to dremel the inside brackets off.

Thanks for the warnings for Peggy. We made sure she didn't sign anything before talking to us. The other guys insurance (GEICO) has already tried to settle her medical payment but she refused. Yesterday she said she hurt too bad to stay at school but she was there today all day.

CA David- I forgot to thank you for the email.

I hope everyone has a nice night.

Say Curt: No problem, you have a lot to contend with, I hope the info was of some help? In reality Peggy's insurance
should have forewarned her not to sign anything till she is sure she is feeling much better.

Good Morning ... I;ll join you guys with a roll and some more coffee. I have a dilemma here. I have maybe 20 pair of these trucks that I bought on a closeout from the hobby shop I used to frequent. They are good rolling On3 metal trucks. I am wondering if anyone can tell me who made them and if, IYO, they can be re-gauged for HO track. I am determined to build a small On30 layout (even if it is only a shelf) and have quite a bit of scratch built On3 cars which, with some slight mods, work very nice for On30. Then I will be able to run also what few HO locomotives I have like the little diesel-electric that I recently purchased. Opinions - anyone?
View attachment 58982
View attachment 58983

Say Sherrel: As Toot mentioned On3 is 3' between the rails and On30 is 2' 6" so you'd have to basically compress each wheel toward the center 3 scale inches to make up for the difference.

I'm unsure who made the cars, possibly Intermountain, or what the side frames are made of as well as how they are attach to the cross piece. The truck bolster?
If the side frames are made of white metal you don't want to try and pry them outward like you can do with Delrin. So attempting to remove them as well as replace them can be quite a challenge.

Hold on a minute, I pulled the close-up image of the truck frame into my photo program to sharpen and enhance it and my hunch was correct, those trucks are sprung so the side frames can be twisted in opposite directions which will allow you to remove the axles and wheels with relative ease as well as replace new wheels sets. The only thing you need to be concerned with is the overall length of the axles from point-to-point and the taper of any new sets, but On3 & On30 wheel sets are probably about the same. Inter Mountain or Kadee may be a sources to check.

Also, to maintain a prototypical look of the wheel sets you'd want Ribbed backed wheels which represent the Older Style of Cast Iron Wheels to give them more strength.

Good morning fellers. May do some more work on the layout this morning. Perhaps I should have asked my question on ballasting my loadout tracks prior to starting it. Which is my fault as I didn't say anything about it until I already had it in place. I think it'll turn out just fine however. My layout appeals to the little ones a lot. My daughter tells me my trains are going to Santa. He must have a lot of naughty kids on his list to need my trains to deliver coal to him. She loves trains just as much as me. Anyways I'm going to leave y'all a pic I found yesterday. I myself being an Army veteran appreciate this. With all the protests going on out there. The media has destroyed the country I love so much and proudly served.
4bfe33a34eeccd591de5b1cdb4ba6c29.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Say Dustin: I'll repeat what GarryCBQ said below and agree with you completely too!!

Good morning ...

I'll have coffee and a cinnamon roll, please.

Dustin .... Your service to the USA is greatly appreciated..... Thank you..... Your last sentence sums up a lot. Sadly, people today are more often gullible instead of skeptical. .... When I thank the Lord for my life I also thank Him He did it when He did. I would not want to be starting life now. I am sad to think of how life will be like for a baby born today. ....... I could go on and on, but enough said here. ... My layout is where I escape the world's troubles.

Say Garry: I meant to add the info you also provide with your picture and descriptions is very interesting also.

There was a brief period of time between the date of the Burlington Northern merger and the creation of Amtrak. .... During this time the BN scrambled the passenger equipment of its predecessor lines. Also, Amtrak continued with the mixed a equipment until it acquired new equipment.

BN%20pass_zpsviextltn.jpg

Garry: Is the third loco back a Great Northern? It appears Green with an orange stripe?

Sorry, LOUIS, re-read the post. They are On3 narrow gauge. I want to make them HO - if possible.
Toot suggested to replace the wheelsets - I will check ...

From what I read Sherrel, On3 is .75" - 19.05mm gauge and On30 is HO - 16.5mm. The ON3 is regarded as representing prototype 36" gauge, whereas On30 represents 30" gauge on HO track, and sometimes used for other gauges close to that. I don't know if there are any manufacturers of the .75" track, so possibly anyone doing that would hand lay it. They both follow the Scale of "O" = 1:48 which explains why the rolling stock is of the same size. Can't tell from your pic whether the axle ends are pointed or squared off (plain), but as the axles don't have rotating bearing caps, which is the usual reason for having plain ends (axles pass through the truck bearings), it would be reasonably safe to assume them to be pointed. The fact that those ends of the axles that can be seen on that left truck, also are slimmer in diameter than the axle between the wheels, indicates that they are either Intermountain, or Reboxx. The IM's, I don't think offer different lengths as far as I know, but Reboxx does.

Say Toot: You beat me to it, very good information the difference of between On3 and On30. One thing I might add for any of the newer fellows is that the 'n' stands for narrow[gauge] so On3 means O scale Narrow gauge of 3' between the rail heads, On30 is O scale Narrow gauge of 30" or 2' 6" between the rail heads. That's why the cars have such an overhang. Now if you can believe it there is actually Nn3 too!

I hope all have a good evening/night!

David, Maybe that Nn3 scale runs on "T" scale's (1:450) track. Can't be more than 4mm gauge. (looked it up on Wiki, says 3mm)

I posted a picture in another thread of the staging area of an Australian club's exhibition layout. Led me to have a looksee. This the page from which it was taken, the Guildford Model Railway Group's "Wallerawang" layout in 2014. There is a still photo gallery and a video gallery with 26 short videos of the trains stored in staging having their "Time in the Sun" (well, flouro lights) at a show. The layout, that had seen service for some years was sold off in 2015. Hope you find it interesting.

http://www.gmrg.org.au/wall.html

From my ancient history, OO equipment is larger than HO, but will run on HO track.
On30 will also run on HO track.
Back in the annals of time, early N scale was called OOO, or treble O. N comes from the first letter of nine, which is the gauge in mm.
Thank you Terry, for confirming what I thought.

I did not know the origin of the N in N-scale, very interesting, thank you!

Good morning gang
66 degrees, heading to 83? June has returned :confused: crazy.
TTYL

Karl these are record high temperatures we are having. The record for today is again 82.

The AC is back on and my grandsons are wearing shorts to school and I still have Halloween decorations to put up! At least I have the candy, the local dentists should give me a rebate for all the candy I have to give away!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning. It's clear and 63. Forecast high is 86 again.

Anothe bit of scale trivia... The "G" in G scale is from the first letter of the word "Gross", which means "large" in German. Lehman coined that when they brought their trains to market. The actual name of LGB is Lehman Gross Bahn, or Lehman Large Train.

Good morning. It's clear and 63. Forecast high is 86 again.

Anothe bit of scale trivia... The "G" in G scale is from the first letter of the word "Gross", which means "large" in German. Lehman coined that when they brought their trains to market. The actual name of LGB is Lehman Gross Bahn, or Lehman Large Train.

I remember what g-scale is from LGB and "garden".
Although I understand "G" doesn't come from either per se.

Good morning.

David ... Yes. The third unit is a Great Northern. Prior to the blue paint, GN had a simplified paint scheme using its orange and dark green colors.

Cheers

Good Morning Folks. Last morning here in Gulf Shores, headed west for home with an overnight stop in Mississippi. Went to the Foley Train Museum yesterday and the camera battery failed after one picture. Had to use my wife's cell phone to take more. Hope that they turn out OK, but I won't be able to download until tomorrow or Friday after I get home.

Justin - Nice looking garage...kidding of course. The ballast there looks good as well as in the previous pictures. I see that you haven't had the opportunity to put up a barrier yet. Tumbles will continue until you do, and then you'll never have another derailment again...Murphy's law!
David - If you were closer, I'd let you jump on my roof and sweep the chimney...LOL. Be sure not to overdo it.
Karl- That's normal October weather for me.

Well, gotta go and start loading the car. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Hi Folks,

It's a warm 80's here for a late summer blast. Normal temps are a lot lower this time of the year.

I've been able to get more work done on the home layout. I've started to paint the background sky. I figured this is one of those things that is easier to get done now like run the bus wires now before a top is added to the layout bench.

Had the family on vacation last week so I'm working hard to get back into a grove at home and work. We had a great time off and I just love the west coast. But, the traffic - he he he.

Hope all are doing well.

Dave

Good morning. 34 degrees to start off the day. If we're lucky, we may get up into the high 40's. Need some coffee and a sweet roll.

Eric - Nice to see you in here. I guess you're reading posts but not posting yourself. Hope you're doing well.

Garry - After the BN merger, you never knew what you were going to see for power. I was living in Florida at the time but did come back to Montana a few times a year to visit and at first, before the BN repainted the power, it could be a strange sight watching a long train with multiple units at the head from many different railroads just like in the photo you posted.

Later

Talking about N scale, we haven't heard from Tony in quite a while. Hope nothing untoward has caused him to fall off the planet again. Life has a habit of serving it up in multiple doses.

Picked up a 1:43 diecast car today, would only be useful possibly in On3 (or 30) and only then if it was modern. There is 24 in the set with several 50-60's models. New-Ray Toys is the brand, City Cruiser Collection the series, This is one I've never seen modelled, the 1964 Chrysler Turbine car. I worked with an English guy in NZ who had been involved in the British, Rover Car Co's gas turbine developments in the 50's on. He had been involved as a welder in the assembly of the heat exchangers that cooled the exhaust and warmed the intake air to improve the economy and reduce the emissions, He also said that when the project was abandoned, everything went to scrap, no-one was allowed even a souvenir. They had guards to prevent it.

Good Morning Folks. Last morning here in Gulf Shores, headed west for home with an overnight stop in Mississippi. Went to the Foley Train Museum yesterday and the camera battery failed after one picture. Had to use my wife's cell phone to take more. Hope that they turn out OK, but I won't be able to download until tomorrow or Friday after I get home.

Justin - Nice looking garage...kidding of course. The ballast there looks good as well as in the previous pictures. I see that you haven't had the opportunity to put up a barrier yet. Tumbles will continue until you do, and then you'll never have another derailment again...Murphy's law!
David - If you were closer, I'd let you jump on my roof and sweep the chimney...LOL. Be sure not to overdo it.
Karl- That's normal October weather for me.

Well, gotta go and start loading the car. Everybody have a great day.

Willie
Lol you are absolutely right. I haven't gotten a chance to put up barriers. The longer I wait the more likely I am to have another floor model and another broken heart. It's in the works though. However I don't know when I'll get around to actually doing it. I guess I need another oops first. Figure it'll be my Atlas U23B. It seems happy to derail all the time.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Morning .. not going to say much as Someone is bound to start a new thread. Expecting 93 today - summer is back! Will be a shock after the cool days we just had.

TOOT -- Videos of that layout were very good - short and nice. Working signals - FANTASTIC! - AND The details on the layout were done very nice. It appeared that nothing was overlooked - someone did a very nice job of completing everything.

Haven't checked out the trucks .. found a couple more pic of the wheelsets. I will not be able to re-gauge them - maybe replace the wheelsets, but mostly looks as if the best route to take is to sell them and purchase On30 trucks.

Back