Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

CURT .. Have you tried contacting Kent (nvrr49)? I have not seen anything from him in awhile, but he was printing a bunch of stuff using a 3D Printer. Might be something to consider if you have a bunch to do?
here is his link:
http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/

Evening all,

Yesterday afternoon, even though it was fairly breezy, I decided to get up on the roof of my ranch style home and cover my evaporative cooler as it looked like it might rain. So I grabbed the old folded up 10' x10 black plastic sheet along with the four bundles of nylon string I use to wrap around the black plastic cover once I get it secured on the cooler with Duct tape which I also grabbed and climbed the ladder and fought the 10 to 12 mph gale force winds, LoL, but finally got the cooler covered to help prevent too much heat from escaping during the winter. Now I have to go around inside and close each of the ceiling vents in the various rooms and cover them with plastic to again help prevent heat loss as the weather is starting to cool down.

I did rain a fair bit a little later on and maybe during the night too but nothing real hard and I measured 0.34 in. this morning. It did rain a bit the day before but I didn't have the rain gauge on the post outside. The power went out as I was getting last nights post together and so I lost that.

I also found an old exposed spot about the size of a ping pong ball and repositioned some tar paper over it and put a piece of an old shake over it and under some of the other tar paper and shakes to help hold things in place. Fortunately after the rain, no leaks I could detect, thank God.

BLK Z: Good to see you posting again. Involvement of various types sure take it's toll on our time, doesn't it?

Gary P: Your Grain Elevator looks very good indeed.

Garry: Your picture of the E Units? and the Bi-Level stream liners i very nice.

Justin: Your track work is looking fairly good where your Coal Tipple with be placed. Sorry I missed the question Curt referred too, not that I'll necessarily know how to answer it?

Curt: I hope everything works out with Peggys' situation to her benefit.

Time to do a bit of operating on my layout for a change.

Hope all have a very good night and day tomorrow.

Good morning fellers. May do some more work on the layout this morning. Perhaps I should have asked my question on ballasting my loadout tracks prior to starting it. Which is my fault as I didn't say anything about it until I already had it in place. I think it'll turn out just fine however. My layout appeals to the little ones a lot. My daughter tells me my trains are going to Santa. He must have a lot of naughty kids on his list to need my trains to deliver coal to him. She loves trains just as much as me. Anyways I'm going to leave y'all a pic I found yesterday. I myself being an Army veteran appreciate this. With all the protests going on out there. The media has destroyed the country I love so much and proudly served.
4bfe33a34eeccd591de5b1cdb4ba6c29.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Morning All, from beautiful Gulf Shores Al. 72 degrees and partly cloudy as usual. Surf's down a bit. Actually can't wait to get back home to my trains! Three days of hearing the constant roar of the ocean waves is beginning to be boring.
Where is everyone this morning? Seems like we should have seen Louis, Terry and Joe by now.
Headed for the museum this morning and I have the camera ready.
Well, gotta go as my wife wants her laptop back.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning ...

I'll have coffee and a cinnamon roll, please.

Dustin .... Your service to the USA is greatly appreciated..... Thank you..... Your last sentence sums up a lot. Sadly, people today are more often gullible instead of skeptical. .... When I thank the Lord for my life I also thank Him He did it when He did. I would not want to be starting life now. I am sad to think of how life will be like for a baby born today. ....... I could go on and on, but enough said here. ... My layout is where I escape the world's troubles.

There was a brief period of time between the date of the Burlington Northern merger and the creation of Amtrak. .... During this time the BN scrambled the passenger equipment of its predecessor lines. Also, Amtrak continued with the mixed a equipment until it acquired new equipment.

BN%20pass_zpsviextltn.jpg

Think I'll join you for coffee and a roll. 37 degrees with partly cloudy skies to start the day off here. Things are cooling off here. We were up into the 60's again over the weekend, but now it looks like the 50's will be more the norm.

Later

Ok fellers been awhile since I took a train pic on my layout. Need to do some track cleaning but all things considered I got to run some trains.
624239b4b60b4a3fb434c7ad8c32ba9c.jpg

aea1adf5c7f3dda714ceec7050711922.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Morning ... I;ll join you guys with a roll and some more coffee. I have a dilemma here. I have maybe 20 pair of these trucks that I bought on a closeout from the hobby shop I used to frequent. They are good rolling On3 metal trucks. I am wondering if anyone can tell me who made them and if, IYO, they can be re-gauged for HO track. I am determined to build a small On30 layout (even if it is only a shelf) and have quite a bit of scratch built On3 cars which, with some slight mods, work very nice for On30. Then I will be able to run also what few HO locomotives I have like the little diesel-electric that I recently purchased. Opinions - anyone?
nm log 3.jpg
nm log 6.jpg

Afternoon All,

Ran some errands earlier and continued online research. I found a Shapeways (3D printing) vendor (Keystones Details) that does the standard Pennsy dwarf shells 20 for $22.84 shipped. That's cheaper than I could do it for! The only downside is they have internal brackets for 4 square lights. I looked at the lights at I don't think I would like the looks and would prefer LED's so I will need to dremel the inside brackets off.

Thanks for the warnings for Peggy. We made sure she didn't sign anything before talking to us. The other guys insurance (GEICO) has already tried to settle her medical payment but she refused. Yesterday she said she hurt too bad to stay at school but she was there today all day.

Chet- Great pictures.

Sherrel- Thanks for the 3D info. I checked that site out and he does great work. Can you change the wheels? The cars look like they have good quality.

CA David- I forgot to thank you for the email.

Willie- Have fun.

Garry- I totally agree with you about when we were born. Nice pic.

Justin- Nice layout pics. I like that the rails are at different heights.

I hope everyone has a nice night.

Sherrel .... If it was me, I would sell them on eBay and buy something that is the right gauge.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOUIS -- I told my wife the previous game that the Cubs better save some of those runs they scored for the next game -- I was correct. We're gonna get Jobu to help them! (loved that movie)
!
Sherrel your idea reminds me of Chuck Thompson, the late great sports caster for the Orioles and Baltimore Colts. He would often say they should save some of these runs/points for the next game.

Louis- Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check it out.
You could also try some heavy grease on the O ring. I wish you well.

Good Morning All, from beautiful Gulf Shores Al. 72 degrees and partly cloudy as usual. Surf's down a bit. Actually can't wait to get back home to my trains! Three days of hearing the constant roar of the ocean waves is beginning to be boring.
Where is everyone this morning? Seems like we should have seen Louis, Terry and Joe by now.
Headed for the museum this morning and I have the camera ready.
Well, gotta go as my wife wants her laptop back.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie
All is well Willie, just busy here in Baltimore and I stayed up late watching baseball so I woke up late.

Good Morning ... I;ll join you guys with a roll and some more coffee. I have a dilemma here. I have maybe 20 pair of these trucks that I bought on a closeout from the hobby shop I used to frequent. They are good rolling On3 metal trucks. I am wondering if anyone can tell me who made them and if, IYO, they can be re-gauged for HO track. I am determined to build a small On30 layout (even if it is only a shelf) and have quite a bit of scratch built On3 cars which, with some slight mods, work very nice for On30. Then I will be able to run also what few HO locomotives I have like the little diesel-electric that I recently purchased. Opinions - anyone?
View attachment 58982
View attachment 58983

Sherrel I think they are OO gauge trucks (1/76) they would probably work ok on a HO shelf layout without any curves, I'm speculating.

Sherrel I think they are OO gauge trucks (1/76) they would probably work ok on a HO shelf layout without any curves, I'm speculating.

Sorry, LOUIS, re-read the post. They are On3 narrow gauge. I want to make them HO - if possible.
Toot suggested to replace the wheelsets - I will check ...

From my ancient history, OO equipment is larger than HO, but will run on HO track.
On30 will also run on HO track.
Back in the annals of time, early N scale was called OOO, or treble O. N comes from the first letter of nine, which is the gauge in mm.

From what I read Sherrel, On3 is .75" - 19.05mm gauge and On30 is HO - 16.5mm. The ON3 is regarded as representing prototype 36" gauge, whereas On30 represents 30" gauge on HO track, and sometimes used for other gauges close to that. I don't know if there are any manufacturers of the .75" track, so possibly anyone doing that would hand lay it. They both follow the Scale of "O" = 1:48 which explains why the rolling stock is of the same size. Can't tell from your pic whether the axle ends are pointed or squared off (plain), but as the axles don't have rotating bearing caps, which is the usual reason for having plain ends (axles pass through the truck bearings), it would be reasonably safe to assume them to be pointed. The fact that those ends of the axles that can be seen on that left truck, also are slimmer in diameter than the axle between the wheels, indicates that they are either Intermountain, or Reboxx. The IM's, I don't think offer different lengths as far as I know, but Reboxx does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back