Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Terry in WI: Where did you get that stuff?
Wish I would have known about it 8 or 9 months ago!!
How much comes in a package and how much did it cost?
E.

BigE: Got it at Hobby Lobby. 16"x18". $9.99 It's in the floral area.
I'm stopping there on the way to wife's christmas party to check out other sizes and price. I'll let you know.

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Good afternoon. Got busy this morning and the confuser was turned off.

Heat wave yesterday, up to 46 degrees yesterday afternoon, but woke up to 26 this morning with a couple of inches of partly cloudy on the ground.

A lot of great photos from Curt, Karl, Lynn and 113. Found a simple kit in an old box and put it together. Needed something at the front of the layout for a small space so this will become "Black Stack" truck repair. I have to get the grade crossing builf into the roundhouse area and then a some ground cover can be put in around it.

IMAG0571.jpgIMAG0572.jpg

As long as there were so many good photos posted, I thought I should contribute. Here's a Milwaukee Road switcher picking up a load car from a grain elevator.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Terry, you won't be the only one at a Christmas party tonight, we're going to my wifes party tonight also.

Howdy

Chet .... The MILW switcher photos look great. The truck repair building looks good too.

We're going to the Christmas parade in a few minutes. An annual tradition they do in the evening this time each year.

My wife is in charge of all of the doings at the party and the dinner and guess who gets drafted to help.

Have a good time.

Evening All,

Attended the town's Christmas Parade and it was nice. We saw the grandkids and daughter on their school float. After getting home I put the tree up in the living room, but it still needs to be decorated at some point. Not sure what's on tap for tomorrow. Watching the game and FL is losing but doing better than I expected.

Lynn- Great job on the station.

Karl- Great scene and modeling.

Terry in Wisc- Great layout pics.

Montanan- I look forward to seeing your progress in the new business area.

Here is a little different perspective from last night.

20151204_125344_zpsgzg5dpga.jpg

I hope everybody has a great night.

Good afternoon. Got busy this morning and the confuser was turned off.

Heat wave yesterday, up to 46 degrees yesterday afternoon, but woke up to 26 this morning with a couple of inches of partly cloudy on the ground.

A lot of great photos from Curt, Karl, Lynn and 113. Found a simple kit in an old box and put it together. Needed something at the front of the layout for a small space so this will become "Black Stack" truck repair. I have to get the grade crossing builf into the roundhouse area and then a some ground cover can be put in around it.

View attachment 54282View attachment 54283

As long as there were so many good photos posted, I thought I should contribute. Here's a Milwaukee Road switcher picking up a load car from a grain elevator.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Terry, you won't be the only one at a Christmas party tonight, we're going to my wifes party tonight also.

EPIPHANY! The weeds in the track just made it all 'click' NOW I must 'plan' because I just got the itch to do scenery and once this next track goes down it may be there for a while.

YES! You can ALL break your arms in congratulatory exultation while delivering self administered pats on the back! You know who you are!

A little sooner than I anticipated but it is what it is. I may have to post a diagram and let y'all take a whack at a track pattern and between the bunch of us I'm sure I can take bits and pieces and make a THING of epicness! I see AWESOME ideas on some of the ones y'all have collaborated on, why not tap the talent available to get the best result! hmmm what a concept for any type of activity. I really have not seen a BAD layout in ANY of the pics posted here, they all got some cool little feature that not everybody else has.

Been messing around on this stuff for almost a year and just got re-enthused! No wonder a 20 year old layout is not unusual, it really is quite engaging!

Looks like this edition of the Coffee Shop is about to go "Last Call' So I'll have a double Jack with water on the side. One of these days, I'm going to learn how to read a tape measure. I completed the third modular section this afternoon. it's legs are 3/8" too tall, and the length is 4" too long to fit the space. All because I didn't measure the first section correctly, and didn't compensate for the error.:mad:.

On the bright side, I dug out a Atlas Yellow Box RS1, purchased in the mid '80s (Roco?), put it on the Uni-track and it ran like a champ. Don't recall when it ran last. Now, it's the test train power.

Think it's bed time...

Found out a few weeks ago from a chance remark on FB's The MRL Railfan Society's page, that a private company, Montana Rockies Rail Tours, had coaches pulled by MRL locos doing tourist trips across Montana between 1995 or thereabouts and 2005. From what I could glean, it appears they may have been responsible for getting SP's #4449 to head the train at least once ('95 & '05?). Y'tube has it again in '09. Anyway, me being a somewhat prototypically inclined modeller, but not a diehard one, I recognised an opportunity to rely on precedent to create my own version, only later and up to the present. All the coaches from the previous MRRT, including 3 domes were sold off on the closing of the first venture, so I went looking for suitable replacement coaches to be pulled by one of MRL's SD70ACe's (which fits in very nicely with my previous acquisition of #4312 with the new "Meatball" company logo. So far I have requisitioned 3 NP 10-5 sleepers (the original had none, stopping overnight for guests to retire at guest houses along the route), an SP Budd 29seat coach, two "Railcar Charter Services" coaches (PS club lounge & PS observation lounge). I have 2 more NP sleepers (11 and 10-6) and 2 C&O 44 seat coaches on the way. Also I grabbed 2 gray liveried SF 10-5's and 2 silver Rock Island 10-5's. Also I splurged on the last 3 UP name placarded Dome Obs cars from MTStuff. Probably keep 2 in their UP liveries, 1 "as made" with the City of Los Angeles sign on the back, the other convert to an open rear deck, repaint the 3rd into something also for the MRRT and make a larger rear viewing deck similar to the Canadian Rocky Mountaneer's.

Pictures when I get the coaches together in a couple of weeks.

I stumbled upon a project I had started before I even started my layout build. I have the sister pair of bluebox SD40s. Chessie System 7612 and 7614. One powered the other a dummy unit. So I've been painting handrails on 7612 which as of right now is my powered unit. I had taken on these units as my test bed for detailing. Getting number boards done up handrails painted and whatever else I could think of. Took some pics of my progress.
uploadfromtaptalk1449387707190.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449387738096.jpg

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Hi David it would have been nice to build our stations at the same time, as you know the instructions are not the best. The signal setup was something I didn't enjoy especially with my fumbly fingers but I kept at it. I hate starting something and not finishing. Let me know if there's any way I can help you with yours.

Hi Lynn: Thanks for the offer of help, as I said prior your pictures helped me to realize about the heavy beams that support the large end roof trusses that I hadn't noticed before. That's a detail I hadn't added, yet I know from a construction standpoint it would be needed but didn't think my plans showed the large supports but when I happened to check the plans I had right near my computer and looked closely, there they were so I'll definitely add them.

I'll have to give you credit for finishing one project before starting the next. I do a lot of jumping back and forth as different things come to mind while working on a project and usually wind up getting side-tracked [NPI] and I finally realized I at least should get my main line finished so I can have a better realization of how things are going to fit in. Then I can start adding various siding.

This is how my Depot looks today.

t-Celphshotcorcted-Exprted-OptmizedJpg_zps050d4cb9.jpg

I added a second floor with a stairway and banister leading up to it and plan to put a fire place in it with one of the flickering lights in it.

I'm getting quite tired so I going to call it a day.

Looks like this edition of the Coffee Shop is about to go "Last Call' So I'll have a double Jack with water on the side. One of these days, I'm going to learn how to read a tape measure. I completed the third modular section this afternoon. it's legs are 3/8" too tall, and the length is 4" too long to fit the space. All because I didn't measure the first section correctly, and didn't compensate for the error.:mad:.

On the bright side, I dug out a Atlas Yellow Box RS1, purchased in the mid '80s (Roco?), put it on the Uni-track and it ran like a champ. Don't recall when it ran last. Now, it's the test train power.

Think it's bed time...

Say Joe: At least you caught your mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning gang....

I stumbled upon a project I had started before I even started my layout build. I have the sister pair of bluebox SD40s. Chessie System 7612 and 7614. One powered the other a dummy unit. So I've been painting handrails on 7612 which as of right now is my powered unit. I had taken on these units as my test bed for detailing. Getting number boards done up handrails painted and whatever else I could think of. Took some pics of my progress.
View attachment 54311View attachment 54312

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Looking good mate!

Good Morning All. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood today with the temperature at 43 degrees, going up to 70. We're in for a spell of normal December weather here in North Texas, sunny, 40-70 temperatures and no rain. That would be 10-22 for you Celsius parts of the world.
Spent about three hours of the day doing yard work, mowing, leaf collection (for use in the compost heap and for mulch in the garden), and tree removal. Will repeat for the next few days. Otherwise on the modeling front, I wired up twelve sets of feeders that were dangling beneath the layout from my recent track laying. Dang if I didn't have a bleed-over between two blocks; I run DC. I double and triple-checked the wiring and could find nothing wrong. Perplexed, I opened a cold bottle of brew and looked on top at the track, and found an insulated rail joiner on the wrong side! Is there anything beer can't do? Up came some track and joiners were reversed and everything works great now.
Curt - Great picture of great modeling. The weathering on that tank in the right corner is right on the money.
David - Even though your station is way out of my era, your depiction looks really good.
montanan - Fine modeling as usual.

Here's a couple of pictures from my old layout:
may26 011.jpgmay26 006.jpg

Willie

David I see your Meadow station is the old design , opposite to mine. I was actually thinking seriously about putting the station sign on the roof , yours looks great. By the way I think I'm much like you jumping around project t o project as different ideas come into play, I just happened to get a nudge from a good from and RR hobby guy like us to complete one and move on, this is my second fully complete build.

Back