Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Thanks. One of you fellers told me what it was once but I forgot where I wrote that down. I did remember it was one of the Century series but nothing more.
On the bottom is says only "Made in Austria". That one actually is DCC onboard now. Carey put a decoder in it when he was here last time.

Same goes for the ICG orange and white. C-630 maybe?
I'm pretty sure that one is a Tyco. Perhaps an older Bachman.

Chime on in with any more corrections or necessary edits!
E.
Eric, the Illinois Central orange engine is a Tyco C636. The PRR Austria engine is a Roco C424, and the Northern Pacific 2500 is a Rivarossi U25C.

Garry: Great work....reminds me of Chicago's Union Station trackage.

Chet: Nice street scene. Looks like it could be my old neighborhood.

Sherrel: Who doesn't like Uncle Pete?

FWIW: Bowser is the go to brand for PRR Freight cars and cabins, both in kit and RTR form. They are also the place to find awesome ALCO road engines. Tangent does an excellent job with the PRR Post WW2 gondolas that lasted into Conrail, and theX58 modern box car. They are just a tad pricey though. Everyone should have a PRR box car and a B&O box car, as they were the two largest fleets of boxcars, into the 1960s, when the whole Railroad world started to change.

In the 'credit where credit us due' Dept. ALL thanks to 'Big-E' for the rope light idea!
WIN_20151020_131527.JPGJust laying out the first 98 feet.
Once I attach it to the underside it will be SWEET!

FWIW: Bowser is the go to brand for PRR Freight cars and cabins, both in kit and RTR form. They are also the place to find awesome ALCO road engines. Tangent does an excellent job with the PRR Post WW2 gondolas that lasted into Conrail, and theX58 modern box car. They are just a tad pricey though. Everyone should have a PRR box car and a B&O box car, as they were the two largest fleets of boxcars, into the 1960s, when the whole Railroad world started to change.

Joe: What is the name of the rounded top house car that the Pennsy had. I always liked that one.
Actually, I liked several of the UP locomotives .. the U-50's and the Turbines were neat.

Good morning from Coarsegold fellow/lady Rail Setters and Spike Drivers,
Hi Francine, Flo's not here, oh, she had some things that needed taking care of. So your doing double work than today, good for you! I'd like some coffee and a English Muffin to start, with some butter and a berry type jelly. Thanks.

Lets see what WW has to say? Clear at 67.5 °F - Feels Like 67.5 °F;
Wind are from the SSW at 5.8 mph;
The Barometer is 29.98;
Humidity is 57% .

As far as my getting started sanding the fascias on my house I did the two West end fascias that form the peaked roof over the Garage/Train room as well as a bit on the two window frames on that end too. That end of the house/Garage set about at six feet from a low bank about 2.5 high and I have a bunch of leaves piled up there so I was carefully positioning the extention ladder on top of them to make sure I had some firm footing before climbing up about 6'-8' high.

Oh, in the process of doing all of this I figured I'd better see I blew the whistle on my cell phone if any of you would respond so I tried blowing it several time but no response from any of you. I then knew what the Donner Party must have felt like!

The flat Iron style Ryobi Srbital Sander sure is nice to work with and with a coarse sanding pad applied the job went fairly fast. Now I just need to possibly apply some vinal calking and I should be ready to start painting.

Good morning y'all. 48°, and sunny this morning, going to the upper 60s today.

Chet: That's a fine pair of FP7s. Good acquisition.

Curt: Nice scene with your shifter.

David: Interesting story, However creative the criminal mind may be, there is no excuse for falling for that kind of scam. Most major hotel motel chains allow you to use your smartphone to register, so when you arrive at the front desk and identify yourself, they merely hand you your room access cards. You no longer need to present a credit card at registration. Since your card is already "on file", there is no need to verify anything with the front desk.

Eric: Cool web site. I like it. FWIW: The PRR loco you have designated as unknown, represents an ALCO C-425. I'm guessing from the photo it was an early Atlas product or possibly a upgraded AHM/IHC product.

Well Joe: I don't travel that much to where I tend to stay at a Motel or Hotel but I've had various scams attempted on me even at my my home location that were very similar if not the same so I figured it was most definitely possible. I'm glad to hear things are like you say they are as that probably makes it even safer yet.

I just figured if it saved someone from having a bad experience it was worth posting.

Good morning everybody.

David ... It is hard for me to believe people can fall for scams like that. I am very skeptical, and I don't believe anything anybody tells me until I can verify.

Regarding Atlas FP7's, I still have a pair lettered for Union Pacific. The train includes some Con Cor passenger cars. The locos and cars were a gift from a family member, and I will there fore keep it. It is my only UP passenger train.

UnionStationLineUp12-20_zps66010cd6.jpg

Say Garry: That is smart to be skeptical in these days as too much BS going around.

Evening All,

Really nice weather here again today. I talked to Phil for a couple of minutes today and we are going to meet on Friday at Jon's our mutual friend. It also looks like Phil and I will be taking a road trip to Daytona to meet someone we both know from across the internet street in early November.

Tomorrow night MOH and I are going to the grand kids school for spirit night, which is basically a fund raiser for the teachers. They are providing McDonalds hamburgers for supper. That part I will skip.

Montanan- Nice looking FP7's. I really like mine.

IMG_1460_zps1194c0bd.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hi Curt: Nice scene with the steam switch engine spotting the Box car at the warehouse, I think it is?

David: Retired from Amtrak on 12/17/2008, ending a 42 year career that began on the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Concerning the MW Standards, There is no deviation from standard when it comes to track standards, only differences in how they should be implemented. They are governed by CFR Title 49, Part 213, and the cost of a willful violation is quite expensive.

Believe it or not, there are prototype modelers in our hobby, that attempt to implement CFR Title 49/P213 in the construction of their layouts. Check out some of the NMRA SIG groups, The NMRA gauge for instance closely parallels actual gauges used by Mechanical and Engineering employees on the railroad.

Say Joe: Glad to hear your retired, I just thought I remembered not too long ago you saying you had to go and move some rail cars/train from one location to another? Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote?

Probably have an accomplice with a view of the desk and able to identify the room number of new arrivals. That would be targeted, random room numbers would be too hit and miss to make it effective.

Say Toot: That's what it almost sounds like to me too! I've had various scams attempted on me even at my my home location that were very similar if not the same so I figured it was most definitely possible.

Good afternoon everybody!

I've been busy with my daughter and daughter-in-law putting up lights and decorations for Halloween. A beautiful day to work outside.

I asked my grandsons what they thought of the decorations the youngest said "they're good" and the oldest said "they freaked me out!"

Have a great day everybody!

Good evening. Never got above 51 degrees today. Still overcast and radar still shows showers i the area.

Got all of the transition strips done today between the tile flooring and the laminate. What a pain in the a$$. Have to cut shim strips just under a half of an inch wide and about 3/8ths of inch thick to get the proper alignment. Did a little caulking and took the rest of the day off and watched San Andreas.

The wife is gone for the week for a high school reunion in Florida. Guess I better rummage through the fridge and get something going for supper.

Later ......................................... Chet

Well guys, I'm finally feeling well enough to at least get on here some. As Eric has told yall, the past 3 months have been pure H***! As many of you know, I have a condition called RSD, (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy), where after repeated (and often) insertions of central venous lines for the admin of IV antibiotics for MRSA, the nerves in shoulders and arms, were damaged to the point where they are now dying. This causes chronic, severe, pain. They are calling this now CRPS type 1. That's Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome, the type 1 indicates most severe.

After finally being sent to a Pain Management Clinic a month and a half ago, they found a series of drugs that seems to be working better that the narcotics I was taking. The depression that went along with the pain, was the most oppressive of all. When all you do is hurt, and badly at that, depression comes on and just makes the pain worse. I think that I sat in my recliner for days at a time, afraid to move, due to the pain. When I did finally move, it was just to the bed, to try to get comfortable to sleep. Very hard to do.

Hopefully that is all going to be over now. The new meds have taken the sharp edge off the pain, and meditation techniques lowers it even more. That's one of the strange things about chronic pain, you can never eliminate it, it will always be there. The trick is to give the sufferer a chance to resume as normal a life as possible. The anti-depression drugs have also helped a lot, and I'm looking forward to being more active, not just on the forum but on my layout as well. I don't think I've done 2 things on the layout in a year, which according to the Dr's at the clinic, it isn't unusual for hobbies to fall by the wayside when you start hurting like I was.

One thing that I had to do before coming back on here was go through a backlog of 3500 e-mails. That took me a better part of a week. I didn't answer any of them, but I did read them and saved the ones deemed important.

Well, gotta go, the wife just came in with supper, (she didn't want to cook tonight, and I don't blame her). In regards to me and cooking, if it doesn't involve charcoal, I'll burn it every time, including water!

Hey! There's my coach!! Great to see you back "Pardner"!
I saw you called me last night. I was already in bed - probably watching TV through my eyelids.
Suppose you were calling me back from the other night. I actually had a question but can't for the life of me remember what it was now.
I really have no clue. It's not like I was in the middle of working on anything. Maybe just thinking ahead. I don't know.
E.

Really good to see you back. Lots of people here have been very worried about your condition.
Now, if we can just get the Cubs to come back .. We be looking pretty good.

Carey: It's good to have you back participating here. I understand the effects of chronic pain and what it can do to one's mindset. It's encouraging, that the Pain Management therapy and the new meds are working for you.

Sherrel: There are several "signature" PRR round top boxcars, X31,X32, and X33, as well as the K9 and K11 round roof stock cars. Fortunately, all are available commercially.

Say Carey: Good to see you back, I'm sure you've been through a lot discomfort so it's good to hear that with the new meds and mediation, maybe even prayer things are looking up for you. I'm sure getting back to your layout is something your anxious to do.

Lets keep everything moving along in the right direction for you.

Again, good to hear from you,

David S.

Thanks, JOE.
Have a friend in St Louis (Frisco fan) who also likes the Pennsy. He is always talking about how much he likes the "X" series house cars.

Welcome back Carey, from this part of the world also. Hope it's upwards and onwards from here on in.

Curt: I adjusted the darkness of your shot of the Mantua 0-4-0 Shifter spotting the PRR Box car at the freight house and in doing so I could see the grass and weeds that you had there and it really looks good and adds a lot of realism! Glad I lightened the shot.

One thing I did on my former layout was to take some of the soft goldish monofilment fibers from an old rug and put a dab of glue or maybe even Hob-e-Tac on the end of them and plant them here and there in between the rails or on the outside so the trucks would brush them as the train passed by without adding any resistance or next to nothing.

What did you use to add the rust to your rails? I know Floquil used to make Pens with a rust color that looked very natural to some of the rust here in Calif but I don't much care for the Woodland Scenics Rust color as it looks too light and even Copper Color in some cases, under my florescent lighting. How I wish Floquil hadn't stop making their thinner based paint.

Say Joe: I read your comment/question to Sherrel about Uncle Pete and had to give him a call as I couldn't figure out who Uncle Pete was until he told me! LoL I thought you were referring to comic strip character. LoL

Actually, the first Diesel Locomotive I had, which was a dummy I think was a UP back in the late '50s I think it was but it just looked too modern to me even then. Now, I do enjoy them.

Another "fine day in paradise", IF you call watching it "snow" paradise :(

Hi Tony, I sent you a PM under Layout Design / working with SCRAM, I just downloaded the latest vrsion. I was asking about us trading notes, probably more my asking you than you asking me, as I was having a bit of trouble using it prior and you seem to be moving right along with it. I guess Mixy has included video tutorials I need to watch?

Talk with you again,

David S.

Back