Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Thank you Chet!

"Old Rivets" in her finest paint scheme, my personal favorite of the many she wore.
attachment.php

Good morning from the Central Valley foothills of Coarsegold, it a cool one this morning as of earlier.
Per WW:They say Clear but there's high thin clouds covering the sky wit a few areas that are starting to build up.
It's 59.4 °F - Feels Like 59.4 °F;
Winds are from the NE at 1.1;
The Barometer is at 30.16 in/Hg;
Humidity is at 42%;

I happened to be looking at Lowe's web site and noted that they have a bunch of roof coating/sealants so I'll have to check to see if any of them will work with my Shake roof?

I've been replacing the old plastic sheeting in the aluminum frames that I use for storm windows to help create a dead air space to keep my place warmer. I just remembered that I need to cover up the attic vent on the end of the garage to block
the cold air from going in there and cooling the train room down.

I also happened to notice that Lowe's had a fair selection of reflective sealant roof coatings that I need to check into too see if they will work with my shake roof?

So as soon as I finish the post I will be making more storm windows.

= = =

Good Morning, 59 and very windy up here. I thought it was supposed to really cool off but instead warmed up. Go figure.

Chet, here is another photo for you, from my layout, the burned over area getting healed up by nature:

View attachment 53494

can't remember if I posted this one yet.

Say David: That's an interesting scene and one I plan to also have on my layout too.

Thanks for geting the coffee going Terry. Starting off at 27 degrees this morning.

Curt - Nice shot of the turntable.

We need more pictures. Here's one for you Louis.

View attachment 53489

Say Chet: That's a great shot alright of the real Loco. I guess served there purpose but that one loco I could never get used to, it always reminds me of a double headed Alligator!

Good Morning, all; pretty foggy here this morning. Here is a shot from my office:

View attachment 53470

I wrapped up some small projects last night and started getting stuff together for ebay. Stuff that never gets layout time is going down the road, since I have made some purchases lately I don't want anything collecting dust!!

View attachment 53471

The Mantua comes in original box and has the certificate and lifetime guarantee and product registration card, if that means anything.

Too Much Stuff!!!

Say David: It looks like your office is in an old passenger car?

The Mantua Loco does look great but probably too large for my layout but I'll bet it will pull quite a string of cars!

Good morning: 42°, and sunny this morning. Going up near 70° again today. It's been absolutely beautiful the last couple of days.

Curt: Sorry for your loss.

Sherrel: David is right you should get back into it. There are a lot of choices, but the key is picking a scale you can be most happy working with. Lets face it, as we "mature" O scale is easier on the eyes.

David: There is no dual gauge in Jersey. The rail you are referring to is the remnant of the lead to the freight station and public delivery track at Jamesburg. That piece of rail has been there since the '80s. The weeds in the background, hide another track, a run around last used around 1990.

View attachment 53466

My quarterly visit to the doctor is this morning. Once that's over, I can resume the fall yard work.

Say Joe: In pulling the picture into my photo editing program I lightened it a bit to be able to just make out the right hand rail in amongst the weeds and the tree growing just off the ends of the ties it seems too.

Maybe between you and I Sherrel will get motivated after getting poked with a ballast tamper enough. Actually I move fairly slow myself for that matter.

It's good to know your in HO gauge too as the majority of items available seems to be in HO. I think the whole determining factor is how much do you want to try to put within a somewhat realistic scale distance. For me HO is the right gauge. Not too small yet big enough to see the details with some decent magnification eye glasses.

It's a good thing that I have EENUFF locomotives or I would put in a bid, but I don't think it would work on a 90 foot turntable.

Say Chet: Mantua does have a 2-6-6-2T version of that Loco also. I'm not sure how much distance could be covered with just the small amount of coal that Loco could carry but I guess they could always pull a Low Sided Gondola with extra coal for it to replenish their supply as needed?

63 this morning - looks like clearing sky and forecast to be about 71.

LASM See, That's my problem. Every time I see something I like I want to change scales. Nice little loco.

OK, got to get busy and haul off the remnants of a wooden side fence from my youngest daughters yard. Posts were rotted off at the base and the wind blew over 5 sections .. so will be busy cleaning up and building part of a wooden fence for next couple days.

Curt Bless its little heart! Sorry to hear of the loss of a pet. I still tear up over a couple of my past ones who went before their time.

say JOE The RFD railroad show had a very nice spread on the Pennsy E units Monday. They sure look purdy wh
en they are polished up.

Here is something not seen every day!

View attachment 53475

Have a good day, back later! (if anyone cares)

Say Sherrel: That is a somewhat unusual looking Diesel alright. Maybe the way they have the markings on it add to it's odd looking snout?

Walthers sells a kit or pre assembled 130 foot turntable. I built their 90 foot turntable, and it was a pain in the butt.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Walthers-HO-933-2850-Motorized-130-Turntable-DCC-p/933-2850.htm

This is the pre assembled turntable. I would recommend this one. If I knew that the kit was such a pain, I would have got the pre assembled version.

Here's my 90 footer.

View attachment 53476

Say Chet: I like the way you painted the Old Revel Switching house.

Good evening y'all. 55° with dense fog along the Coastal Plain.

Terry: Nice Cabin Car, can't help with the ID, but is enough to make one consider switching from HO to O. Not sure the lettering is right though, but that's a minor point.

Wife and I raked a whole bunch of leaves to the front today, and that's from one tree. There are four more trees in close proximity that have not as yet started to drop their leaves. That means we will be busy for a while yet.

Say Joe: Rather than raking all the leaves how about using a mulching lawn mower to help put back the nutrients in the ground the trees pull out of it to make the leaves?

Hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I happened to be looking at Lowe's web site and noted that they have a bunck of roof coatings so I'll have to check to see if any of them will work with my Shake roof?

I've been replacing the old plastic sheeting in the aluminum frames that I use for storm windows to help create a dead air space to keep my place warmer. I just remembered that I need to cover up the attic vent on the end of the garage to block
the cold air from going in there and cooling the train room down.

I also happened to notice that Lowe's had a fair selection of reflective sealant roof coatings that I need to check into too see if they will work with my shake roof?

Hi David Trussrod, Thanks for liking my burned over scene and my trainroom is my basement. The wife gave me the ENTIRE space so I am a happy camper.

As far as covering up the vent goes, maybe it is dry enough in Cal. that you don't have to worry about condensation. I know we have to keep ours open or water droplets get on everything. We do have quite a bit more humidity here, though.

We had a wooden shingled roof, a little different from shakes but similar (a little thinner and more uniform); and the rain is supposed to swell them and create a tight roof, and when it isn't raining I guess it doesn't matter. They were cedar so weren't supposed to ever rot (and they didn't). I think the biggest threat is the UV light deteriorating them so I would look for something with a UV block.

We had some wooden shingled roofs (on the farmstead that I grew up on) that held up over 70 years without any treatment!!!!

LASM David

Hi David Trussrod, Thanks for liking my burned over scene and my trainroom is my basement. The wife gave me the ENTIRE space so I am a happy camper.

As far as covering up the vent goes, maybe it is dry enough in Cal. that you don't have to worry about condensation. I know we have to keep ours open or water droplets get on everything. We do have quite a bit more humidity here, though.

We had a wooden shingled roof, a little different from shakes but similar (a little thinner and more uniform); and the rain is supposed to swell them and create a tight roof, and when it isn't raining I guess it doesn't matter. They were cedar so weren't supposed to ever rot (and they didn't). I think the biggest threat is the UV light deteriorating them so I would look for something with a UV block.

We had some wooden shingled roofs (on the farmstead that I grew up on) that held up over 70 years without any treatment!!!!

LASM David

Say David: One to another. Your welcome to the compliment about your burnt scene area, things like that ad interest in my opinion.

Thanks for the info and thought about the condensation build up. I do know what shingles are as I had to patch the roof of the original house I grew up in down in Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley and redo the four ridge caps on the roof as well all with shingles. Shakes are also made from Cedar but are split from the trunk and not at all even like Shingles which fit together much tighter. the shakes are uneven and form air passages so I don't thing they seal anywhere neare as tight. Anyway, as with shingles, there is always an underlayment of felt/tar paper as well as the fact the boards that either are nailed to are spaced apart and the tar paper is what seems to cause problems as the hot Calif Sun dries it out and deterrroates it as well as drying out the shakes. At least the Shakes used on the newer section of the home which were not as good a quality but some of the older section have gone bad too.

Good talking with you again.

Say Joe: Rather than raking all the leaves how about using a mulching lawn mower to help put back the nutrients in the ground the trees pull out of it to make the leaves?

The problem is that the volume of leaves in relation to the size of the yard is so great that mulching them is not a solution. Depending how it occurs, the leaf fall can be overwhelming. Best solution would be to remove a few more trees, but that has a downside in the summer.

Good evening. After three days of 90f days it only got up to 89 today. Forecast for tomorrow is 89 f.

The falling leaves have covered the grass.
The falling leaves are a pain in the ___.

Flip

Thank you Chet!

"Old Rivets" in her finest paint scheme, my personal favorite of the many she wore.
attachment.php

That's about a BEASTY! I got all jazzed up and then I noticed it was an Electric unit, oh, kay, I'll have to throw down an 'E' line in an urban center if I'll need it to run something like THAT!

Good evening. It's clear (finally) and 73.
Eric, it's good to see you are still vertical.

Looks like I'll be starting a fresh coffee shop tomorrow morning.

That's about a BEASTY! I got all jazzed up and then I noticed it was an Electric unit, oh, kay, I'll have to throw down an 'E' line in an urban center if I'll need it to run something like THAT!

Most of the models will pick up current from the wheels, so you can run it sans overhead wires.

Evening All,

Kathy made home made lasagna for supper tonight and there is plenty to go around everyone! I spent about 2.5 hours on the models today. I attached the 4 wire gussets which turned out to be quite a pain to get in correctly. Part of the issue is the wire provided is pretty soft and if you look at it wrong it bends. I have stiffer wire but was afraid it would push out the vertical ends. I also put on the boards if there is a defect. You can see 2 of them in the photo (4 per car). I should finish up the construction phase tomorrow with the braking system (on top of car) and coupler levers. Jon my friend will paint it and decal it. I can't decal if my life depends on it unless it is a large decal.

20151105_154538_zps4ssqmihk.jpg

Garry- Have fun.

Terry- I did some research in some Pennsy databases today on your N8 cabin car. I figure the car is being simulated around Detroit. The Div would be the Toledo Division, Northwestern Grand Division, and the Western Region. I also looked up N8 cabin numbers which there were 199 of them and the last cabin number for this class was 478219 (as of 1957). I just thought you would be interested in the info and I am in no way trying to tell you what to do with the cab.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening all,
Clear, the stars are visable, it's 46.4 °F - Feels Like 44 °F, it is getting a tad nippy out;
Winds are from the ESE at 4.7 mph - I was out a little bit ago and didn't notice any wind;
The Barometer is at 30.24 in/Hg;
The Humidity is 76%

I did get the attic vent on the end of the Garage cleaned off good with a wire brush and then applied fresh Scotch Brand double sided tape around the face of the vent and attached the piece of plastic and pressed it onto the tape and the tape to the vent face real good all around.

When I was up on the ladder doing that I was able to see top of the two windows below on either side of the vent and noticed I need to clean them off and apply a bit of calking as well as areas around the frame so that's what I did.

= = =

The problem is that the volume of leaves in relation to the size of the yard is so great that mulching them is not a solution. Depending how it occurs, the leaf fall can be overwhelming. Best solution would be to remove a few more trees, but that has a downside in the summer.

Say Joe: If the extent of the leaf fall is that great it sure sounds like you ought to invest in a small yard tractor with a belly mower that throws the clippings, in this case the leaves up a shoot and dumps them into a pull behind trailer that can be taken to wherever and dumped. Sure would cut the work down.

I've got to repair the starter on my tractor as it's one heck of a work horse.

Evening All,

Kathy made home made lasagna for supper tonight and there is plenty to go around everyone! I spent about 2.5 hours on the models today. I attached the 4 wire gussets which turned out to be quite a pain to get in correctly. Part of the issue is the wire provided is pretty soft and if you look at it wrong it bends. I have stiffer wire but was afraid it would push out the vertical ends. I also put on the boards if there is a defect. You can see 2 of them in the photo (4 per car). I should finish up the construction phase tomorrow with the braking system (on top of car) and coupler levers. Jon my friend will paint it and decal it. I can't decal if my life depends on it unless it is a large decal.

Garry- Have fun.

Terry- I did some research in some Pennsy databases today on your N8 cabin car. I figure the car is being simulated around Detroit. The Div would be the Toledo Division, Northwestern Grand Division, and the Western Region. I also looked up N8 cabin numbers which there were 199 of them and the last cabin number for this class was 478219 (as of 1957). I just thought you would be interested in the info and I am in no way trying to tell you what to do with the cab.

Say Curt: In looking at your picture I'm wondering if the four bits of plastic sticking up on the containers aren't casting sprus?

]
Hope everyone stays warm and dry.

David- That is kind of what it looks like but they are the 4 points on the container top that the crane attaches to for lifting.

Good evening all,
Clear, the stars are visable, it's 46.4 °F - Feels Like 44 °F, it is getting a tad nippy out;
Winds are from the ESE at 4.7 mph - I was out a little bit ago and didn't notice any wind;
The Barometer is at 30.24 in/Hg;
The Humidity is 76%

I did get the attic vent on the end of the Garage cleaned off good with a wire brush and then applied fresh Scotch Brand double sided tape around the face of the vent and attached the piece of plastic and pressed it onto the tape and the tape to the vent face real good all around.

When I was up on the ladder doing that I was able to see top of the two windows below on either side of the vent and noticed I need to clean them off and apply a bit of calking as well as areas around the frame so that's what I did.

= = =

Say Joe: If the extent of the leaf fall is that great it sure sounds like you ought to invest in a small yard tractor with a belly mower that throws the clippings, in this case the leaves up a shoot and dumps them into a pull behind trailer that can be taken to wherever and dumped. Sure would cut the work down.

I've got to repair the starter on my tractor as it's one heck of a work horse.

Evening All,

Garry- Have fun.

Say Curt: In looking at your picture I'm wondering if the four bits of plastic sticking up on the containers aren't casting sprus?

]
Hope everyone stays warm and dry.

Good morning everybody!

64 with 99% humidity under grey skies in southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day everybody!

I was checking the prices of the Christmas tree I am planning to buy soon. I thought something bright and colorful would be perfect on this overcast day. Then I thought I should share the picture because it brightened my day and I hope it does the same for others.
d7c7bdd6-1ba6-4560-a42c-3ec0a184a834_1000.jpg

Back