Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

Good evening. Down to 82° and clear. Only made it to 92° today. Weather guy in NYC said it might not get out of the 80s tomorrow, but the NWS has a heat advisory up for tomorrow???:confused:

Thanks for the good wishes, My colonoscopy went well. only one small polyp, probably harmless, but being sent to the pathologist. I also have developed Diverticulosis. (Eat more fiber - blah).

Ken: I'm going to cut the lawn tomorrow, if the forecast holds. It's just too tall to suit me.

Curt and Chet: I love it when a New Yorker will suddenly break into a conversation, with "I'm from New York"...I normally respond with"Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that" Most of the neighbors are from either Brooklyn or Staten Island, so to me, they are all New Yorkers... Sheesh! Does that make them special when they say that?

Chet: Finishing the town around the freight house is a good idea, but really, your layout is fine as is.

[h=3][/h]

Hello All, A lot of people here seem to be retired, and enjoying it! That's great! The other thing I noticed is that there's an awful lot of construction going on and everybody seems to design the whole thing around the railroad. Is it a coincidence that I've just been reading those stories? All good things by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. 62° and partly cloudy skies, nearly a full moon. This weather here is crazy. 62° on August 16, it hasn't made it to 100° but just one day, and that was unofficial. 60 miles south, in Dallas, they had a record high last Friday for 8/12 of 107°. I guess global warming forgot about us. The temperature is playing havoc with my pool temperature...it was 86° yesterday pm, but it's probably much lower this morning. 86° is just fine but much lower is chilling. Air temperature only made it to 82° yesterday, the average for this time of year is 94°. Rain stayed away yesterday, hovering about 50 miles east and south where it is still raining. That's OK since I am back to mowing after the rain last week.
Out in the train shed, I mostly stared and contemplated while running trains. I do have a new kit under construction that I haven't taken pictures of yet. It's another Bar Mills wood craftsman kit. It's a simple one called Papa Louie's Cigar Shop.
No channel-surfing on the car radio for me, I'm too busy paying attention to everything going on around me. My wife on the other hand will probably change 10-12 times and end up back where it began.
Beady - Good for you on the house payment, I paid mine off in 1996...such a good feeling.
Dave - Another nice photo. I hate to hear that you are running out as I always enjoy them. I don't complain since I don't post too many, but I am a terrible indoor photographer. For every picture that I post, I probably take 200.
Chet - You make me feel a little better about having so much plywood after 4 years, knowing that you still have some 30 years later. I guess that I like running trains so much that I overlook those areas, although I am making progress lately.
Greg -
A lot of people here seem to be retired, and enjoying it!

I've been modeling for over thirty years, but retirement gave me the time to be more active on the forum. Friends tell me that I am too young to retire, but I respond by saying that I am too young to collect full Social Security, but not too young to retire. Save now!

Eric - How's it going? Isn't your appointment this Thursday?

I know that we continue to discuss the saga of a former forum member known as New Guy. He disappeared from his new haunt back in early June, but showed back up last Thursday. Here's a link to his most recent post (as Chip).
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=139&page=52
Hate to say, but he may be continuing on his trip off into the "deep-end".

OK, everybody have a great day.

Willie

Eric - How's it going? Isn't your appointment this Thursday?

I have been most miserable.
Yes, my first appointment with an otolaryngologist is Thursday at 1400 in downtown Atl. Only a few blocks away from the Varsity for those familiar with downtown ATL.
Only yesterday afternoon did I finally secure a ride there. Ended up having to use my taxi buddy. Although he'll give me big break over what the meter says, I still expect it to be over $100 there and back.
God only knows what the Dr. bill will be.
E.

Good morning folks.

It's sunny and beautiful out right now. Good way to start the day!

No trains the past few days but I'm planning at least. I'm trying to get up the nerve to paint the new backdrop. I removed and destroyed the old one three years ago in order to move the layout. I wasn't real happy with the first attempt so I'm trying to decide if I want to try again or if I should buy a printed one. I don't really want to spend any money on it so I guess I just answered my question! I'm hoping my second attempt will better. I have to remember that the bluffs behind Mankato aren't nearly as high as I was thinking when looking from ground level. My first attempt had damn near mountains painted in!

Day seven of no drinking. Sounds silly to those who don't have a problem but it's the longest I've gone without a drink of some sorts since 1999. Sounds foolish just typing it! I feel better already but I know it's a long road ahead. Thanks again for the kind words.

Time to refresh the coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning all.Starting the day off at 55 degrees with a high expected in the low 90's. Some of you guys must be sending your heat up here. You don't have to share. Grin.gif

Eric - Glad you found a ride to the doctor. It may be expensive, but really necessary.

Corey - I saw mention of you getting off the sauce. Congrats. Trains can be a good therapy. I have seen too many lives ruined over the years because of alcohol. Alcoholism does run in my family and I have seen people lose theit lives because of it and have also seen people recover and lead very prosperous lives.
If you're interested in a printed backdrop, take a look at the one Dave (LASM) installed on his layout. Wish they would have been available when I started my layout.

Joe - 79 is too hot to start off the day. Appreciate the comment on the town, but I do want to add signs and do a little more work on the businesses. It has been bugging me for years.

Willie - Yes, still some bare plywood after 30 some years.

IMAG0303.jpg IMAG0300.jpg

This area has been changed a number of times to make everything fit properly. I have torn out a lot of hand laid track and changer the town a number of times. Originally, I had the cattle pens right behind the diner. Not very appetizing. The cattle pens were then moved to the other side of the tracks on the way out of town and the grain elevator ws squeezed in behind the diner. A little carving was necessary to make it work. Instead of loading behind the elevator, the grain cars now are spotted inside the elevator. There the white rectangle sits to the right of the elevator I have started a kitbashed freight station. It is almost ready to install. Just waiting to get my workbench back into the room that we're remodeling. Once it is set in place, the rest of the ground cover and ballasting can be done.
Not only will I get my workbench back into the room, but I can finally move my computer desk back into the room and connect to the internet at home again.

David (trussrod) with all the hear you have had, I don't know how you're able to keep anything green. I am constantly moving rain birds all over the place to try to keep the yard green but dry spots are always moving around the lawn. I keep things green for a fire break in case of a grass fire. We had one north of town the other day and they started evacuating people.

Gregjl - Glad to see you stopping by. Don't be a stranger. There is almost always some sort of construction going on with a model railroad.

Catch you later.

Day seven of no drinking. Sounds silly to those who don't have a problem but it's the longest I've gone without a drink of some sorts since 1999. Sounds foolish just typing it! I feel better already but I know it's a long road ahead. Thanks again for the kind words.

Corey:
Not foolish at all, My friend, drinking is not the end all and be all in life. You made the right choice for yourself. For what it's worth, I don't drink either. I think you would be surprised to find how many people don't drink. Now, as to the backdrop, just start painting. If for some reason, it doesn't look right, it's not the end of the world, just paint over it, and start again. The printed or photo backdrops are an other option, but cost more than DIY. See how painting it goes first.

Good morning, 63 and sunny. Although we got 1.3" of rain overnight, supposed to get off and on rain for the next few days.

Yep, 60 years ago they knew how to build a house, and 60 years before that they were probably better again. All anyone has to do is go to an historical town to see that ... 150 plus year old buildings, still standing and going strong.

3,500 sq feet in the city or 2,500 sq feet in the country on 14 acres ... think I know which I would prefer if money wasn't an issue as such.[/COLOR]

Hi Tony, Our house was built in 1922 and it is one sturdy structure! The basement walls are over 1' thick of native fieldstone and the walls are rough lumber, substantially more strength than our planed stuff. I suspect the plaster and lathe provides more structure than sheet rock as well, there is actual horse hair mixed into the mud for added strength!

Dave - Another nice photo. I hate to hear that you are running out as I always enjoy them. I don't complain since I don't post too many, but I am a terrible indoor photographer. For every picture that I post, I probably take 200.

Willie

Thanks, Willie; I hear that is a sign of a good photographer, one who culls out many photos to get the right one. In the "old days" they would chuck them in the trash can. Now days we have it pretty easy with our digital cameras.

Time to refresh the coffee. Have a good day everyone.

We are on your side!

Take it easy all, Dave LASM

Good morning. Already 87, humid clear skies. Expect 92, with scattered T/S later. Just 'nother summer day in mid Fla.

Wish y'all a pleasant day.

Phuil

Good for you Corey. Keep it going. Up until that bleeding strep-throat stuff I went through last year I drank daily since the early 80's. There were times when money was low and I took a few days "off" from drink and always found that within just a day or 2 my mind was clearing.
Now here I find myself diagnosed with cancer in my mouth and for the most part any sort of drink is simply not an option - because of the pain. On occasion I'm able to tolerate a few beers and a little liquor but usually end up pouring out more than I drink - so why bother.
It hasn't bothered me at all go without anymore. Of course my body is probably telling me "it's about frickin you gave me a break!!"
Compared to less than 2 years ago I've gone from nearly an 18-pack a day to maybe a six-pack a month. Hell just go back and read some of my own posts from around 18 months ago. I had no problem opening a beer at 0500 while working on trains having gotten up around 0200. I no longer do either.

I wish you the best Corey. Be thankful you don't have to go through what I'm going through now to get past it.
Eric.

Good morning .... We returned last night from visiting family near Cincinnati, OH. ... I hope to have time for the layout later today.

A few mile north of Cincinnati is a huge multi-million dollar G scale layout called "Enter-Train-Ment Junction" open to the public. . .... We did not go to it this time. I did took these photos a few years ago.. It basically is three layouts in one with three eras.

2021f5dd-2faa-4847-85fc-cfbd4d284ae8_zpsdcy6alzb.jpg

DSCN3096.jpg

DSCN3074.jpg

Good morning Everybody!

Another typical Baltimore summer day HOT and HUMID!

Internet is spotty this morning so I will be brief, yeah me brief?

Corey,
thanks for the update, we are all proud of you!

Chet, Garry, LASM and anyone I have missed, thanks for the pictures and please keep them coming, I enjoy them!

E is mass transportation an option? I would think it may be for going downtown. "Hop on the bus Gus"

My boys and I have lots of work to do, they don't know it yet! I can't wait to hear the whining. :) I have a pat answer "shut up and do what you have to do!" If they whine some more I'll say this "you guys whine like European soccer players" :) Then I ask them "are you baseball players or what?" They know to shout back at me "Baseball Players!" Ok then, let's get it done!

Then I will tell them this Quote from Mike Tomlin "No excuses, no explanations, just get it done!"

I already paid them, I bought them a new add on for their Minecraft game so that have no choice but to put up with me!

I love my boys so after we get done I'll take them to get a slushy at Royal Farms, Its like a Slurpee for you 7-11 fans.

My daughters signed my boys up for soccer and it starts tonight. God help their coach, if any one asks me I will plead insanity.

Everybody have a great day!

E is mass transportation an option? I would think it may be for going downtown. "Hop on the bus Gus"

Short answer. No.
I would have to get a ride to the nearest county bus station, then somewhere transfer to an Atlanta Marta bus, then transfer to a Marta train, then back to a bus and then to the clinic. I might could deal with the trains.
F...k all that!!!
I don't need, nor want, to learn about big-city mass transit ops at this point.
I need to get some freakin treatment.
Sorry my Brother. I'm feeling somewhat pissy today.
E.

No worries E, I understand completely.

I have thicker skin than an alligator and you can't hurt my feelings, I don't have any :)

Hang my friend, only 2 more days until the beginning of beating this thing!

My boys worked like big dogs and made short work of our outside chores!

Buying that add on to their game motivated them to get done to get back to playing. After lunch we have lots more to do!

I just found this in my email and I had to share it with you guys.

It's the last thing I want on my layout!

What was Lionel thinking or smoking?

Good Morning Everyone! MEL - and everyone who commented - Thanks for the kind words concerning my daughter. I was very impressed in going to the AA meeting with her. First of all, I was shocked! I expected on a Sunday morning at 9 am that there probably would only be 8-10 people there .. THERE WAS OVER 100! Second shock was the fact that the ages ranged from teens to the 70's. - with just about an equal distribution from low to high. As I looked around the room and listened to their narratives, I kept thinking to myself .. I pray that they continue the path they are on and do not slide backwards into the former grips again. COREY == A special prayer for you that you are able to continue to be strong.

Just a quick note for now. Wifey, me, and the two G sons ages 7 and 8 are at a campground about 10 miles from our house called Vail Lake. It's a rather large place with over 200 camp sites - there are maybe 30 other vehicles here. REASON, I think it's too hot! It was 109 yesterday and that is 4-5 degrees over my tolerance level. Today may not show much relief. The kids go out for a while .. get dirty and want to come back in. I need a fire hose to douse them down as they approach the camper. I believe they watched 4-5 full length kids movies yesterday in between their adventures. The lake, which is not that large to begin with, is so low that they stopped boat launching ... just pitiful what the drought has done. We are off to the clubhouse this morning where they have a full selection of games and a nice minature golf course. All the games are free. After that w

Back