Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
This is the new place. The old place got overrun pretty quickly there at the end.

Good morning. Weather today will be the same as the last weeks. Hot-Humid-T/S in p.m.. Had to shut 'puker down as T/Boomers made themselves known.
Have a nice day.

Phil

Good morning Gents,
It must have rained yesterday afternoon and/or evening!!!
I let the cats out and it was like a sauna that hit me.
I checked TWC and it says 72° at 100%. There 'ya go!!
After yesterday's bad news delivery, I had several drinks then took 1 of those painkillers and immediately went to bed and asleep.
I pretty much stayed there until just a while ago.
Not likely anyone is going to fault me for that.

So far only my sister knows about it. I told her to go ahead and tell everyone else if she wanted.

We have different dads so Dad won't find out until they get back from Europe later in the week.
I'm not sure how he's going to take it. Cancer is new to that side of my.

Right now I'm starving but am cautious about eating anything solid with all the holes in my gums.
I may try some Grape Nuts cereal later. You have to let that get real soggy anyway.

Actually I'm kind of in the mood to do some train work. I still have a few cars that need truck and coupler work.
Last time I was showing the layout, I cut the lights and it occurs to me I need to put some more pole lights around the maintenance building like I did in the yard.
We'll see what kind of mood I'm in later.
E.

6202.1398017663_zpsfap3tjra.jpg

Good morning gang
Yesterday I went to an old high school buddies house. He had some trains that were willed to his Mother, by her brother. He didn't know what they may be worth, if anything. What it was is probably 15% Athearn and Bachmann , and 85% HO Lionel. Complete sets and loose pieces, enough to fill the bed and cab of my truck. No, I didn't buy it, I'm going to eBay it for him. The proceeds going to his 85 year old Mom. I've got to unload the truck after breakfast, it was too hot yesterday by the time we got home. I just parked it in the garage.
113...good to see you!
Later gang!

Good morning. It's clear and 73. There has been air quality alerts here daily since Tuesday or so, and today is no different.
Eric, I would agree I would need to have a stiff drink after getting that kind of news.
In other news, I saw that Wombat Tony posted here on the forums earlier, so he is still with us.
I spent yesterday doing battle with Walmart, and we called it a draw. I had ordered a pair of tires online for my wife's car, to pick up at the store. Walmart instead managed to charge me for a second pair they then shipped to the store, in spite of all efforts to cancel the order. Without going into all the gory details, I finally opted to keep the tires, and Walmart installed them for free, as well as disposing of the old tires for free. This saved me around $60. We got a car seat for our dog, since when she rides in the car, she goes sliding across the back seat when I maneuver. It's one of those things that hooks over the rear and front headrests, like a hammock. The only way she will be tossed out of it is if I roll the car over, in which case we'll all probably go down together.
In sort-of-model-railroad news, I picked up a retired gaming computer yesterday, to play Train Simulator on. It's pretty much complete and total overkill, like killing a mosquito with an elephant gun, but it certainly has no problem running the simulation. It has an 8-core, liquid-cooled processor, 12Gb ram, mondo video and audio cards, 4.25 Tb hard drives, dual dvd burners, hot-swappable hard drive connectors, 24" LED monitor, etc, etc, and etc...
I need to do some work around the house before it gets hot enough outside to melt lead, so I'll check in later.

Good Morning All. It's 80° and clear with 41% humidity. They're reporting wind gusts up to 3 mph this morning, that's not even enough to blow insects away! The Coffee Shop was busy yesterday with over 50 posts. Swelling finally went down from all of the yellow-jacket stings that I took Thursday. Out in the train shed yesterday, I ballasted another 8' - 9' of track. If I get into the mood, I will start some ground cover today.
MR113 - Hey, welcome back. We have been wondering where you went and what you have been up to.
Justin - Glad that you didn't slide off that hill, it must have been really freaky.
Beady - Agree on that humidity. It stays relatively low here which makes that temperature tolerable.
Louis - Nice Oriole picture. We don't have them in my part of Texas.
Karl - They do have great prime rib there. The only one better is the one I make at home whenever it goes on sale.

Looks like two of our missing friends have returned, Milwaukee Road 113 posted above and Tony (wombat457) has been posting all over the place this morning. It's great to know that they are both able to rejoin us. Heck, even Justin (chessie_system3) safely showed back up Friday.
Gotta go. Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. 71°, and sunny this morning. Reached 98° yesterday, and felt it.

Eric: After what you have been through, no one can fault you. And...you actually got some sleep. Now next step is to start treatment. The longer you wait, the harder it gets. Don't give up.

Tony (Wombat): Good to see you posting again. Condolences to you for your loss of your mother.

Milw 113: Welcome back. Good to see your posts again.

Terry: Good job bringing back old customers. recently saw Bill Tilden at the other place across the street.

Karl: I guess you don't like crabs...:rolleyes:. I used to watch the locals "crabbing" adjacent to the Upper Bay Movable Bridge, over Upper New York Bay, in Newark...Not only was their diet suspect, but these crustaceans probably glowed in the dark. :rolleyes: Guess that's why they are best when steamed in National Bo. That stuff will clean anything. :rolleyes:. Seriously, I do like crabs and other shellfish, on occasion. I especially liked some of the menu items at Hausner's on Eastern Ave, and Karsons which If I recall correctly was on Dundalk Ave. Of course that was 30 years ago. Hausner's has been gone for a long time, and another restaurant along the waterfront in DC that featured Crabs from the Popes Creek area, of Southern Md.

Louis: The Birds looked good last night. I caught the highlights. I spent the day watching Toronto, the Yankees and the Mets lose.

I don't have a lot planned for today, I need to replace an out door outlet, with an outdoor 20A GFCI outlet, and possibly start on some new benchwork.

7653 ARS18 Newark NJ.jpg
ARS18 at Waverly Yard. Garden Spot of the Garden State.

Good morning, everybody .

Terry ... Thanks much for kicking off the new thread !

MILW 113 .... We have been wondering where you were. ... Were you busy painting all of these HO Alcos? ... :confused:..... . Nice to see you. I like the photo. Looks like the MILW in its twilight.

Joe .... I like the RS11 photo.

Terry in NW Wisconsin. .... I saw your post across the street. Thanks for doing that.

Happy Model Railroading !

...Actually I'm kind of in the mood to do some train work. I still have a few cars that need truck and coupler work.
Last time I was showing the layout, I cut the lights and it occurs to me I need to put some more pole lights around the maintenance building like I did in the yard...
E.
That sounds like a brilliant idea!
He's back! Good to see you my friend, we missed you!
...Yesterday I went to an old high school buddies house. He had some trains that were willed to his Mother, by her brother. He didn't know what they may be worth, if anything. What it was is probably 15% Athearn and Bachmann , and 85% HO Lionel. Complete sets and loose pieces, enough to fill the bed and cab of my truck. No, I didn't buy it, I'm going to eBay it for him. The proceeds going to his 85 year old Mom...
Karl you are a good man. You probably already know, but I'll share the little I know about Lionel HO. I only have experience with the MPC era (1970s) So I can only comment about that. Lionel HO is not of much use to a serious modeler, but there is or was as of 1 year ago, a good market for collectors. They love complete sets with original packaging. I had been monitoring the sales on eBay and some of the prices were shocking! As much as $400 for 1974 sets.
I wish you well with your mission of mercy, God bless you and you know I will be looking, but I am cheap and not a collector.
...I spent yesterday doing battle with Walmart, and we called it a draw. I had ordered a pair of tires online for my wife's car, to pick up at the store. Walmart instead managed to charge me for a second pair they then shipped to the store, in spite of all efforts to cancel the order. Without going into all the gory details, I finally opted to keep the tires, and Walmart installed them for free, as well as disposing of the old tires for free. This saved me around $60. We got a car seat for our dog, since when she rides in the car, she goes sliding across the back seat when I maneuver. It's one of those things that hooks over the rear and front headrests, like a hammock. The only way she will be tossed out of it is if I roll the car over, in which case we'll all probably go down together.
In sort-of-model-railroad news, I picked up a retired gaming computer yesterday, to play Train Simulator on. It's pretty much complete and total overkill, like killing a mosquito with an elephant gun, but it certainly has no problem running the simulation. It has an 8-core, liquid-cooled processor, 12Gb ram, mondo video and audio cards, 4.25 Tb hard drives, dual dvd burners, hot-swappable hard drive connectors, 24" LED monitor, etc, etc, and etc...
Sorry to hear about your battle with Walmart. My wife has told me there is a huge shortage of qualified people, both workers and managers in the retail sector. Sounds like you ran into some of those unqualified people at Walmart.
Congratulations on your gaming computer! THings have come along way since 16 colors!
...Louis - Nice Oriole picture. We don't have them in my part of Texas...
They are a beautiful sight and relatively rare here in the city. last year We had an Oriole nest under our car port. They would just watch me as I walked past. I was happy to clean up their droppings of the concrete. I felt blessed to have them. I miss them this year.
...Louis: The Birds looked good last night. I caught the highlights. I spent the day watching Toronto, the Yankees and the Mets lose.

View attachment 57873
ARS18 at Waverly Yard. Garden Spot of the Garden State.
Boris the birds are a different team at home. The O's have the best home record in baseball. Good pitching always makes you look good as well.

I like todays match up Kluber for the tribe and Worley for the birds. If Worley can get ahead, mix it up and hit his spots he can be very good, but if he leaves the ball out over the middle it will be a short day for him. With this heat the ball will be flying out of the park. Camden yards is a matchbox compared to old Memorial Stadium the power alleys at Memorial stadium were 385' Many of the homeruns at Camden yards would not even make it to the warning track at Memorial Stadium and it was not considered big for it's day. It's a tough time to be a pitcher. My heart goes out to those sad millionaire pitchers, NOT!
I love that old PC locomotive, thanks for posting it. I have a green Lionel PC GG1, I love it! I want a Lionel PC Century series, are you listening Lionel? PC will always be a super hero railroad to me. The ideas kids get and never let go of.

Good Morning All,

Just dropped into to say hi and try to catch up on everything. Like most places in the north we are still suffering from a lack of rain and temps in the 90's ... hopefully that will break soon.

Good Morning All C-Shop People:
Temp around here only supposed to reach 94 today - That's 10 degrees less than yesterday. Been watching the humidity to see just how low it has been. Yesterday was 11%, day before was 13%. In other words - None, or very little moisture anywhere. Nada clouds, contrails ...only smoke from several fires around the area. We have had a few smaller ones nearby, but nothing like what they have going North of L.A.

Glad to see some of the laggers stagger back into the barnyard that have been absent.

Willie: So glad that you are O.K. from the yellow jackets. They are aggressive little SOB's. Last year I got hit 6 times from disturbing a hole in the ground - before I realized it, I had a swarm all over me. Couple hits on the head really hurt for several days.

Karl: Sounds as if you have lots of work to do with your recently acquired "stash". Good luck with that!

Terry: You gonna name that computer GORK! Sounds like a good name for it. That's more power than the Apollo modules had.

I used to like seafood! After all the prior discussions .. thinking of becoming vegan .. NOT!

Good morning fellow, 'Tie-Rail Setter & Spike Drivers',
Hi Flo & Francine, How are you both doing? I guess you heard that, Tony [aka Wombat] & Mel [aka Milwaukee Road 113] are both back what a Red Letter Day Indeed! How about some coffee and a Apple fritter sounds good. I buy for everyone else too!]

Per WW: It's Clear at 92.7 °F - Feels Like 91 °F;
Wind are Variable from the SW at 2.7 mph;

Today is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as yesterday.
Today's High 101 | Low 70 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday's High 104.7 | Low 63.3 °F
Precip. 0 in

Pressure 29.84 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 91 °F
Dew Point 55 °F
Humidity 28%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available. Not So! I have 46" of the white stuff accumulating Outside! LoL It makes me fee a little cooler. LoL God I hate this heat!!

Well as I said above today is a great day and one for the record books as two of our members have returned, fantastic. Welcome back to bot.
Tony:, Again, my sincere condolences on the loss of your dear Mother, as well as my prayers for your sister and nephew.

Mel: Very good to see you back too.

>> From the prior Coffee Shop:
Fellas, let's be careful with the medical advice. Eastern "medicine" is especially prone to extravagant over-promises, and as an immigration officer I had to deal with a surprising number of these cancer "cures" from India and China. A quick bit of research revealed that citrus appears to have some promise in this area, but verifiable and repeatable experimental results are apparently still lacking. The following is from Snopes, to which I will add that, if such a simple thing as lemon peel can cure cancer, surely cancer would have been wiped out long ago. Anyway, here's part of what Snopes has to say:

However, the best that can be said at this point is that citrus fruits may potentially harbor anti-cancer properties that could help ward off cancer. No reputable scientific or medical studies have reported that lemons have definitively been found to be a "proven remedy against cancers of all types," nor has any of the (conveniently unnamed) "world's largest drug manufacturers" reported discovering that lemons are "10,000 times stronger than chemotherapy" and that their ingestion can "destroy malignant [cancer] cells." All of those claims are hyperbole and exaggeration not supported by facts.

Beady: While I realize that the information I received from my friend in China may not have scientific proof it actually works per* the other information I received from another source so you can take-it or leave-it, your joice! Snopes also in their very biased fashion, didn't offer any proof or scientific verification it didn't actually kill the various forms of cancer as purported, either! There were positive cases per some group it did indeed work but without going back to try and find that info I don't recall who it was? Snopes, is a husband and wife team that is funded by George Soros and seemed to appear on the scene shortly after oBummer appeared on the scene to refute any negative claims made against him. I questioned them directly about 'oBummers' birth place not actually having been in the U.S.A. or Hawaii but rather Kenya and their reply stated at the top in bold letters that information was, False, which most would take as a definitive answer and yet when I read all their manipulative wording below, there about half way through their info in much smaller type was their note that it was 'True', so that let me know that for them to start the Reply of as thought it were, 'False' was highly manipulative and willfully stated so as is their ending above in the quote! I don't trust or believe anything they say as being definitive in the least but rather manipulative BS.

So there's the other side of the coin.

*[>Snopes<a typo]
>>

Ken: I happened to see in a prior post where you said doing scenery causes you some anxiety? It's really rather fun but I'll have to admit I also have my uncertainties about how it will turn out but it all seems to work out to be fine. The nice thing is that it can usually be redone without too much trouble. Even cast resin representing water, can, I believe be poured on possibly Suran Wrap lining the stream bead or pond, I'm not sure about using this to seal the bottom first though, I'd have to check with Woodland Scenics or other Mfg's to ensure their medium wouldn't attack the Suran Warp. But generally doing scenery is very relaxing as your recreating nature and all it takes is a look at areas outside to see what they are like and then it's your decision as to what extent and how much ground cover and foliage should be applied. I've often said that for starters, nothing looks more like dirt than real dirt you've acquired from your location or even a lanscape lot or lawn and garden place which will probably let you sweep up a coffee can or two of the fine dirt that forms around piles of dirt they have. Maybe you even have some vacant lots near by and even the sweepings under door mats provided it dry or dried out later can be used. Heck if you want Cal., dirt I've got plenty.

LoL, some guys even go to the extent to get dirt and rocks from the area they are modeling. I use what's fairly local to me though. Also, it's very easy to make latex rubber molds of rocks you find that look like you'd like to use their rock face look on your layout. I found some really great pieces of rock with a spire type of strata that looks great when molds are made and then Hydrocal is mixed and poured in them and you can also reverse the top to the bottom and adjoin the same mold to get a different effect or even overlap molds by applying a new rock casting while it's starting to set up but still not dry. It really allows your creativity to come out.

I hope all have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon everybody. It is 73F here in the Fraser Valley at noon, going to about 80F later on.
I visit the coffee shop every day, sometimes more than once for the last several years and I feel I know a lot of you pretty good.

At 75 I am just an old fogey with a life long love of trains and model railroading. I am almost at the scenery stage of my 11x24 HO layout. What I have done so far is a bit of hydrocal covered with tan latex paint and in most places real dirt. All track work is hand laid as are the turnouts. Although Fast Tracks jigs are really great, they are not practical for me because of the variety of turnout sizes and configurations, I build a lot of the turnouts in place on the layout. Hand laying track is very therapeutic for me and I enjoy it very much.

Good to see Tony and Milwaukee Road 113 back.

Received my order my order of scale wood so I can start building a 240 foot long wood trestle which will be 120 feet in the highest place. This will keep me out of MOH's hair for a while!

Our pears, plums and apples look really good this year, as do the grapes, blueberries and strawberries. The Fraser Valley in BC is in kind of a sub climate, we have a very long growing season with really nice summers. Kind of makes up for the winter when it rains a lot. We rarely get snow here, non last year.

Cheers, hope everybody has a great day! Hang in there E, half the problem is solved the minute one starts dealing with it.

Mel

Eric, my apologies for this, but I simply cannot in good conscience allow Trussrod's remarks to go unchallenged. Do what your doctor's say, and please don't get distracted by so-called "alternatives." At the very least, do your own research, by which I mean, read everything you can find on the subject. And always, ask your doctor.

Beady: While I realize that the information I received from my friend in China may not have scientific proof it actually works per Snopes, Snopes also in their very biased fashion, didn't offer any proof or scientific verification it didn't actually kill the various forms of cancer as purported, either!
Sigh. I had hoped I had finally found a forum where I could engage that was free of this crap.

1) It is up to the claimant to provide the evidence. It's up to the salesman to prove that the product works; the customer bears no responsibility to show that it doesn't. "If you can't prove me wrong I must be right" is a child's stance.

2) Snopes is simply a clearing house. If I had printed the entire article, or if you had consulted it, you would have seen references to several studies.

BTW, it does *not* work per Snopes. As I quoted earlier Snopes plainly states:

"However, the best that can be said at this point is that citrus fruits may potentially harbor anti-cancer properties that could help ward off cancer. No reputable scientific or medical studies have reported that lemons have definitively been found to be a "proven remedy against cancers of all types"...All of those claims are hyperbole and exaggeration not supported by facts" (emphasis mine).

Here's what TruthorFiction.com says:

"This article contains false and potentially dangerous medical claims about how effective lemons are in killing cancer cells. Compounds in lemons enhance the body’s natural ability to fight off cancer, but this eRumor greatly exaggerates the ability of lemons to kill cancer cells, the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) said.

“"In the end, there is no proven scientific replacement for radiation therapy or chemotherapy,” UAMS said."

3) As I indicated in my post, I had to deal with these very claims in my professional life, and not one of them ever proved valid. Lemons can cure cancer? Really? Lemons have arguably existed longer than humans, and cancer only slightly less, yet Big Pharmacy has managed to keep this ancient remedy "a closely guarded secret," even though it's plastered all over the Internet. Yeah, right.

I don't trust or believe anything they say as being definitive in the least but rather manipulative BS.
It's odd that you consider Snopes to be manipulative BS, yet attempt to use them as validation ("it actually works per Snopes"). Anyway, you are perfectly free to your political opinions, and to allow those opinions to affect other elements of your life. You are not free, however, to dispense unproven and uninformed medical advice. Follow it yourself, if you must, but please refrain from presenting it to the vulnerable as an easy way out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Too hot to talk about. Did some chores earlier and then started on the siding. After prepping the 2 T/O's (jumpers, weathering, and cleaning) I installed them in the existing track after cutting out the appropriate sections of track, then laid cork roadbed and flex track. After leveling the track I ran a F7 at 70 smph through the entire thing without issue. Tomorrow I need to solder the rail joiners and add some power feeders for more reliability then on to scenery which will be minimal.

I did discover an issue. When I turned on track power I noticed that the PTB-100 had no green light at all and would not program. If you remember I installed it last Thursday and programed without issue and the green light was on. This is the first time I have turned on the layout since then. When the DPDT switch is placed in RUN there is the normal power to the track and I can run a loco on the programming track. I will give Jon a call tomorrow to get his take on it.

Dave- Glad your foot is better.

Eric- I did that with one batch of China trees. They looked better but still not great. I used hairspray and ground cover.

Ken- Sounds like a large amount of work to get ready for the Ops Session.

Tony-Justin-MR113- Welcome back. We've missed you guys.

20160724_150952_zpsik80bkkc.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, it might be an optical illusion, but that track looks mighty close to the fascia.

Back