Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning and I have been doing research for a display project I will probably start January 2019. It will be 3 F&C flat cars (F22's) set with AMB's wooden decks and battleship gun tube kit mounted on the flat cars. After it's built I plan on putting it in a display case and displaying it on the wall of the train room. MOH is making a rotisserie Moroccan spiced chicken for supper. We have had it twice before and it is yummy;).

I'm sad to say that a great Pennsy modeling tool is shutting it's doors. Keystone Crossings announced this on it's site a couple of days ago. Jerry Britton did a hell of a job on it for years. That site was my go to site for Pennsy info on 1:1 and modeling info when I first started modeling the Pennsy. I am sorry to see it go.

Good news on my SIL, late yesterday she was moved to a rehab facility close to her home. My brother has no idea how long she will be there. This turned out to be a much more positive outcome than I expected.

Jesse- Nice haul.

VA Ken- Sorry, I couldn't get your last video to play.

ACL-CSX- I hope the book helps you. I started with Atlas Code 83 flextrack and Atlas T/O's, I still use the Atlas Flex Track but have converted all but a couple of T/O's to PECO (much better quality). I do have 1 Shinohara 3 way T/O going into the yard.

Toot- The club I used to frequent had the same issues. They have a Digitrax system. They clear the stack (saved loco addresses) before starting a large number of operators. The club has a very large layout and there were frequent issues with freezing and runaway locos on outlying areas. The club bought 2 boosters and installed them and that took care of about 95% of the issues.

Chet- Impressive club layout.

View attachment 28752

View attachment 28753

Doing planning for when the project finally gets done.

View attachment 28754

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks. I was thinking that Atlas was going to be my choice for track. The main question was over switches and the like. I'm not yet ready to go DCC, but want to put stuff in that will make the conversion easy. I've also noticed there are more options for switches and crossovers in regular track than the EZ.

I'd also like to thank you guys for the layout pics. Not having one yet is bad, but seeing others keeps the ideas and creative juices flowing. Hoping to make it to, and be able to buy stuff at, the show happening in Gastonia, NC this weekend. If I have a good money week, I may be able to stock up on goodies.

And since the focus of my initial build has shifted, I'm looking for components to build my MOW train now.

One more question for my transition era guys. I want to build a maintenance facility as the starting point for my layout. Diesel shops, car shops, etc. At what point did the railroads move away from roundhouses in favor of the newer diesel sheds? I know that it's my layout and I can do whatever I want, but would it be realistic to have both in the same facility?

Good Afternoon Everyone....still nice here.

MikeInHubCity: Mike the time period was between 1987 and 1995. The motel was on the edge of town and traveling north on Highway 13 and there was an old RR terminal converted to a restaurant across the street, down a short road. (I think).

Ken: Nice meet on the main.

In-laws are gone.

Miller Time.

That's all for now.

Greg

########################

Good news on my SIL, late yesterday she was moved to a rehab facility close to her home. My brother has no idea how long she will be there. This turned out to be a much more positive outcome than I expected.

Curt ....... Fantastic your SIL is improving .... Continued prayers for a speedy and full recovery. ... I like your photos.

Chet ..... I will not tire of seeing photos of the Livingston club layout. Beautiful work. ..... I see a DM&IR 2-8-8-4 with an ore train. The NP 4-6-6-4 is a model I thought about acquiring myself. It would be nice, but I don't need it.

Ken D&J .... Yor video of the meet is imaging. Thanks for posting.

Good morning everyone. 70 and mostly cloudy - 70% chance of rain today. Had a slow, soaking rain over the weekend - half inch in the gauge. We needed it. Hope we get more today and tomorrow.

Daughter, SIL, and granddaughter #2 came over for lunch yesterday, so got to run some trains for them. Other than that, not much to report from the train room. MR-IV construction is coming along nicely, but slowly. Sealed underneath the lake/stream that leaked the other day - hope that takes care of it. Will wait another couple of days before pouring another 1/8 inch layer in the lake. SIL still hasn't sent me the ride-through video. When I get that I'll post it.

On another note, we're starting a total master bath remodel. Oh, joy!! Got pros doing most of the work, but MOH and I take up the carpet and tacking strips - that's what we're into now. Plus I'll remove the toilet. Also visiting local businesses picking out tile, new shower, new vanity, light fixtures, etc. etc. Our house was built in 1983 so it has all of the early 80's style - you can imagine - it's time for change!!

Ken - nice video
Chet - that was a nice shot of the trains near you. Also great photos from the club
ACL-CSX - I like old paper stuff like your equipment register - nice find

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. It's overcast and 70.
I was able to rummage through my "spares" box, and find a motor that would fit and work in the Atlas GP40-2 I've been having trouble with. I pulled the sound decoder out of a Pennsy U25C and reprogrammed it to make the appropriate EMD noises.
Now, I have a Rivarossi U25C in PRR, dcc ready, for sale. Cheap...

Good Morning All. It's 68° and cloudy, three hours ago it was 80° and then a short rain shower came through. Found water on the floor around the refrigerator this morning. It's coming from somewhere between the supply line and the plastic tube going to the icemaker. There's some kind of gizmo there that connects the two. I think that it is called a water valve. Of course thirty seven years ago, I installed the water line to the fridge without a shut-off valve in it, so the water to the house is off while I go purchase an inline shut-off valve. Then I see if it is something that I can fix myself.
Gotta go now, I'll check back in later.

Everybody have a great day.

Got my 3 mile walk in this morning. I'm going into town about noon to see the Jurassic World movie. I've got to cut the grass before I head out on my road trip. Gotta change oil in the Harley too. Just a few other odds and ends to do and I'll be able to head out early Wednesday morning for my first stop in Tennessee.

Good morning. 52 degrees to start the day with clear skies and an expected high in the mid 80's.

I did manager to finish mowing the lawn without any rain. My son and his wife came over in the afternoon with a case of BACON. It's a 15 pound case of hardwood smoked bacon, price, $40. Here's some of it.

Bacon.jpg

Enjoyed some of it for breakfast.

Curt - Liked your photos. Little mini scenes make such a difference on a layout. I'm still finding new ones on the club layout.

Garry - I was so tempted to pick up one of those Athearn Challengers, but like you, I didn't need one. I already have an old Riverossi Challenger that I modified, detailed and decaled for the Northern Pacific and it is not used at all.

Ken D&J - The video did work and as usual, I did enjoy it.

Johnny - Hope your family enjoyed watching the trains. Sealing the bottom of the lake is a move forward. Looking forward the the ride through video also. Another bath remodel? Seems to be the going thing. Sure am glad that I got mine completed. Did the entire upper level of our house over two years. Kitchen, 2 baths and flooring throughout the house.

Willie
- Good luck with the leak. You win the golden dipstick award for not installing a shut off valve.
Grin.gif

Terry - You did some interesting locomotive offerings, but unfortunately, the wrong railroads. Not really up to doing another custom paint job. It is a good thing that you have motors and other parts on hand to get your repairs done and the knowledge to deal with programming decoders. At the club last Saturday, I did manage to turn down the volume on my Atlas RS-1 with your help. Now it is not annoying.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Uz0ISw.jpg

Later

Good morning fellers. Some really good advice on structure painting. I'll have to keep these in my mind. My GM50 locomotive should arrive today. Looking forward to that. Then again the USPS is very hit or miss. Anyways. Start to a new week. Let's see how this week goes.

Still Vertical, Willie! (Thanks for asking)
Bored and Depressed! Caught some sort of a "bug" - been weak and sick - doing the "bathroom quick step" for a couple days. Got to get some liquid back in me; where's my coffee this morning? Several other "family issues" going on that is depressing - seem to be all ganging up.
Weather has been clear, mild, and wonderful with temps on the mid 80s - wish I could get out and enjoy it!

Boris- my apologies if this is too common for you, but how goes the hunt for Moose and Squirrel?

Chet- bacon looks awesome. Let me know what postage would be and I may ask you to send me a box. Not sure how that works, but I know you can buy mail order steaks so bacon can be shipped too, right?

Sherrel- sorry to hear that things seem to be piling up on you. I know the rules says no politics and religion, but you're in my prayers. Hopefully things will work out better soon.

To everyone else that commented on my find, thank you. I have other goodies that I will try to post pics of soon. Maybe after I score some new goodies at the train show this weekend.

Sherrel - Thanks for checking in and letting us know you're still on the right side of the grass. Sure hope thing get better for you.

ALC-CSX - I would be happy to send you a case, but the companies who ship goods such as this have special packaging for it and procedures. I wouldn't have a clue on how to ship it properly and wouldn't want it to get ruined.

Good Morning All, again. Installed the cut-off valve in the water line to the icemaker, and then the memory kicked in and I realized that I had indeed installed one originally 37 years ago, on the other side of the wall from where I was looking for it. Well now I have two. It wasn't a completely wasted trip though, as we picked up the new vanity for the bathroom remodel while we were at Lowes. It weighs 178 lbs., and I successfully got it out of the car. Now it's in the driveway. Next is getting it up the three steps into the house, sliding it on several 2" x 12" boards will do the trick.
Here's a couple of pictures of the finished DPM Court House that I have been working on.
06-24-18 010.JPG

06-24-18 011.JPG

I am not completely happy with the flag. It was very difficult to apply dry transfers to the waving surface (can't see this in the picture), and the pole is slightly warped which I should be able to fix. As usual, I detailed all sides even though some may not be visible. I think that in this case I can get front, back and left side if I put it where I plan.

Chet - Wow! Some more great pictures from the club. Most of the dozen and a half clubs around here (Dallas-Ft Worth area) only do a half-assed job at scenery and many never finish. Thanks for the Golden Dipstick award, but see above; I get the CRS award instead.
Ray - All of my locomotives run in consists of two or three and I never have any issues. Oh wait! I run DC only. If I was starting in the hobby now, I would definitely have DCC, but I sure read a lot of postings regarding your issue, fried decoders and total unknowns.
Curt - That's too bad about Keystone Crossing. Perhaps someone else will pick up where they leave off. Great news on your SIL, my prayers and thoughts are still with her. Nice pictures.
Ken (D&J) - Video worked for me this time.
Johnny - Good luck with the remodel. Been there, doing that, still rubbing the bruises. Just when I thought that all decisions had been made, I was informed this morning that the tile for the shower floor was not yet selected. She's looking at some kind of non-slip stuff. Turns out that the stuff that I brought home last week was just for the walls and floor of the room and the walls of the shower. Still need the tile for the insets as well.
Sherrel - Get well soon.

Time to fix lunch and take a nap. See you later.

That's a really nice job on the Courthouse. Like the weathering a lot. You would think that the city would take better care of their buildings.

I am really suprised at how nice the scenery is on the club layout. It has been a work in progress for about 25 year from what I've been told.

By the way, CRS is a sure sign of Old Timers Disease. Old.gif

Good Afternoon Everyone....nice day, but over cast and rain coming later. Worked outside this morning on a list of tasks from the Mrs. in spite of my being nice with the in-laws being here yesterday. The Mom (the Mrs. sister) and Dad are both physicians, the son a patent attorney and the daughter a RN, so the conversations were to say the least, very interesting.

Waiting and will get down to layout soon. Packing for another trip up north. Planning on listening to a band on Saturday that a local bar and grill has every year. The guy who started this band is in his early 70's and has played with most well known rock bands, and was an opening act for many and is considered one of the best guitarist in the country. He now stays close to home (Oshkosh, WI) and does a few select during the summer. Three hours of non-stop 60 and 70's rock and roll, with some country to boot. A nice lunch, good live music and a few cold beers...Hamm's beer only $1.50 a can...Summer in Wisconsin.

The Mrs. when to Hobby Lobby and purchased for me Woodland Scenic's "Everyday People" a set of 16 figures for a little over $11.00 with a discount coupon. Nice surprise.

I agree that on many club layouts the scenery is second fiddle to the trackage and the scenery usually is not competed.

Sherrel: Feel better soon.

Nice bacon Chet....I love stab bacon.

Willie and all the other home remodelers...I have a friend who built his own home back in the early 70's. After the framing and rough plumbing and electrical were in place and he must of P...ed off the building inspectors because they failed to pass all of his work and ordered him to get licensed contractors to re-do a lot of the work and then finish the work. What a mess. He just made so many small mistakes that an unexperienced person might do. Items like wiring a three way switch wrong, missing nails in rafters, no supports for the flooring, rooms too small, no load bearing walls and on and on.

Finish here and then down to the layout...I hope.

Greg

################################

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Have completed outside and inside chores. I received notice that my lights are finally here and they're supposed to be delivered today. We usually get mail around 1 PM, it's now almost 3 PM with no show from USPS:(.

I talked to Dad last night and today and they are predicting SIL will be released 7 Jul (most likely insurance quits paying after that) so Dad, Mom, and myself are tentatively looking at leaving on the 5th and taking 2 days to get there. It's about 16 hours with stops (I have driven it several times). I could probably do it in 1 shot if I had to, but not with my parents. My Dad starts complaining after about 4 PM on the road. We may be there about 2 weeks or maybe less depending how things fall out. SIL is receiving speech and physical therapy. The plan is to help and take care of Linda while Chuck is at work.

VA Ken- Thanks for reposting. Very nice video.

Garry- Thank you.

Willie- Thank you. That's OK. Every cut off valve in the house leaks by when shut off. It's a pain at times. Great looking courthouse.

Chet- Thank you. You should send some of that bacony goodness this way.:D

Sherrel- Feel better buddy.

Greg- Nice haul on the little people.

The 2 pictures are from the Coal, Oil, and Gas Dealership. The first one is staging.

20180625_131942.jpg

20180625_131852.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back