Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Good Morning All. 72° and overcast. Lots of rain north of here in Oklahoma yesterday and this morning, that just doesn't seem to want to come south. Mowing is back on the schedule again today after the rainstorm Wednesday night. Don't know whether my gauge didn't measure it correctly or what, but the ground and the pool level both indicated that a lot more fell than I measured. Tried out my new "chainsaw on a stick" yesterday, resulting in a mass of trimmings now on the ground. Didn't get any moved yesterday as the temperature unofficially reached 100°, which curtailed yardwork in the afternoon. More of the same today.
Out in the train shed, I nearly completed the court house. I still have signs and figures left to do. Pictures soon. Ran lots of trains to make up for the missed day Thursday, mostly ran from point to point with only one out and back switching run.

Mike - It does seem like some things really take a lot longer than expected. Or are our estimations just too short?
Johnny - It seems that everyone's first lake/stream/water project leaks. At least your floor is concrete and not carpet.
Justin - I have had very mixed results with masking, and much of it is difficult to do properly. If it has to be done, Chet's advice is best. For me (and only me), I only spray the basic brick color and hand paint everything else from there. I shudder when I read posts from another forum member who spray paints his windows first on DPM structures and then masks them off to paint the brick. Lots of work, but he does N scale and I guess that the windows are much harder to paint by hand.
Jesse - We have been planning our bathroom remodel for almost five years, and the damn thing is only 60 ft². Decisions seem to be a lot harder to make when a wife reaches 60 yo. I would have just gone to Home Depot and picked the first things that would fit, regardless of color or pattern! Nice score on the engines.
Mike (WI) - Neat picture of the BNSF unit up there. I never see any CN units in service down here. I did get to see eight of them (brand new) parked on a siding near me, waiting to be hauled up north. They were built at the GE loco plant in Ft Worth back in 2016.
Beady - I'll have to give your suggestion a try some day.
Mikey - Life just gets in the way sometimes.

Everybody have a great day and weekend. Looks to be a scorcher here. Weather radar now shows a good shower about 1/2 mile down the road! Better get mowing quickly.

Hot and muggy- doesent convey how it feels. The folks flocking to the beaches to cool off have another danger: jellyfish. If I heard it right, over 3200 stings have been reported. People are bringing their own bottles of vinegar . Good thing CURT has his pool.
Hope all have a safe weekend,
Phil

Good Morning Everyone...sunny and seasonal here in Wisconsin. Back from the cabin and cool and damp weather there.

Willie & Justin: When painting some of my Cornerstone Buildings, I used Testor's Masking Tape to mask off the edges of the door and window details after painting the building a with a spray can of paint for camouflage. Then I used a brush to do the windows and doors. A bit time consuming, but worth the effect with no over laps of paint or runs.

Testor's Masking tape is available in several wides and very flexible.

Willie: Hang in there during the remodeling project. Thank goodness that we purchased our home when it was 80% complete and all paint colors were already decided on by the builder. We just had to pick out the carpets. No choices!!!

Mike in Hub City: Nice photograph of BNSF. We used to stay in Marshfield on Memorial Day motorcycle trips and I think your club met in the basement of a building next to the motel we stayed in. You could see part of the layout through the basement wiindows. The motel was owned by the Mayor of Marshfield at that time. I think the motel was called the "Down-Towner" a two story building on Highway 13.

Chet: I dislike driving in down pours myself. I never had any luck with Rain X, but everyone I knew loved the product. Used it on my Gold Wing windshields.

D&J:
Enjoyed your video, I love unit trains. How many cars were in that train?

Family gathering later today and then hopefully a full day to myself tomorrow.

That's all for now.

Greg

##################

Last edited:
Greg - Not sure how many cars. I just build the train then link the motive power and run it.
I was down there doing some work on the sorting yard and saw a meet coming up.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 72° and overcast. Lots of rain north of here in Oklahoma yesterday and this morning, that just doesn't seem to want to come south. Mowing is back on the schedule again today after the rainstorm Wednesday night. Don't know whether my gauge didn't measure it correctly or what, but the ground and the pool level both indicated that a lot more fell than I measured. Tried out my new "chainsaw on a stick" yesterday, resulting in a mass of trimmings now on the ground. Didn't get any moved yesterday as the temperature unofficially reached 100°, which curtailed yardwork in the afternoon. More of the same today.
Out in the train shed, I nearly completed the court house. I still have signs and figures left to do. Pictures soon. Ran lots of trains to make up for the missed day Thursday, mostly ran from point to point with only one out and back switching run.

Mike - It does seem like some things really take a lot longer than expected. Or are our estimations just too short?
Johnny - It seems that everyone's first lake/stream/water project leaks. At least your floor is concrete and not carpet.
Justin - I have had very mixed results with masking, and much of it is difficult to do properly. If it has to be done, Chet's advice is best. For me (and only me), I only spray the basic brick color and hand paint everything else from there. I shudder when I read posts from another forum member who spray paints his windows first on DPM structures and then masks them off to paint the brick. Lots of work, but he does N scale and I guess that the windows are much harder to paint by hand.
Jesse - We have been planning our bathroom remodel for almost five years, and the damn thing is only 60 ft². Decisions seem to be a lot harder to make when a wife reaches 60 yo. I would have just gone to Home Depot and picked the first things that would fit, regardless of color or pattern! Nice score on the engines.
Mike (WI) - Neat picture of the BNSF unit up there. I never see any CN units in service down here. I did get to see eight of them (brand new) parked on a siding near me, waiting to be hauled up north. They were built at the GE loco plant in Ft Worth back in 2016.
Beady - I'll have to give your suggestion a try some day.
Mikey - Life just gets in the way sometimes.

Everybody have a great day and weekend. Looks to be a scorcher here. Weather radar now shows a good shower about 1/2 mile down the road! Better get mowing quickly.

Planning is one thing. I've had half a bathroom for 3 years. Ripped out the existing sink vanity and was going back with a pedestal sink. Then we found out we had little man coming. Then we were broke for 2+ years. Finally got the new vinyl flooring down last year or the year before, and bought a vanity top that we planned to build a base cabinet under. Finally working on that part. Changing the style of the walls. I detest drywall mud and sanding, so I put it off and put it off until my wife decided to take a different approach to recovering the walls (we live in a mobile home, so you know what kind of crappy drywall there is in those). Now I have a little money thanks to the business, but time is still MIA.

And I'm happy with the loco score. Am about to spend some time testing them. Today has been all trains all day. We went to the SC Railroad Museum in Winnsboro, SC and spent the day riding the rails. We are now members, so I can also start volunteering for work and projects there. Which will also allow me to grill the older guys for railroad knowledge. Go me.

Loco update. All 4 run. The Rock Island runs better than any other engine in my fleet. Super fast. The others are ok. Need some TLC and some maintenance. Also, want to share my latest acquisition with you all. I think it will come in handy for my mid 70s layout.
20180623_212505.jpg

Picked it up for $2 at the railroad museum gift shop. Lots of info on every railroad operating at the time of printing. So, I may be able to help some of y'all out if you need any equipment info as well. I'll share my newfound knowledge. Lol

Good evening .... I'm glad each of you is busy. .... I will try catching up now.

Toot ... LOL ... Leave it to you to post the bat mobile in response to my photos. .... ROFLOL

Louis .... Thanks for sharing photos of boys baseball. Very nice. ... Get your train room organized soon. :)

Willie .... Thanks for commenting on my scenery photos. ... Good to hear you completed the court house.

Johnny ... Uh, oh ... you spilled Realistic Water on the floor ...... Now, that's a water fall. :D

Chet .... Great photo .... One of you best rail photo of the day at Logan MT.

Mike In Hub City .... I like the photo of the BNSF locomotive.

Curt .... Thanks for commenting on my scenery project . Nice you could go to the movies.

ACL CSX ..... I also have an old Equipment Register.... It is good for finding appropriate numbers for freight cars.

Everybody .... Happy Model Railroading !

Had a very mixed day at the club Saturday. Was early so a lone operator for a couple of hours. There must have been an unscheduled Friday night run 'cause the layout was still in DCC mode. Later in the day, some strange things happened with the DCC system (NCE 5amp Radio). Operating the horn would have the horn sound play continuously (not just me but with others using the WIFI/Phone control as well). Fixed it once by cycling track power off/on, but a second time that wouldn't work either and so I tried killing the consist the loco was in and then selecting it as an individual to get it to desist. That stopped it. Didn't honk the horn again.

Had problems later when shorts occurred when it was in one part of the track (shorts could be elsewhere on the layout) causing the lead loco to drop into a phantom consist (become unresponsive) but the others (2 or 3) still answering commands. This usually requires the consist be "killed" and the unresposive loco be accessed via POM and have CV19 reset to a value of zero, which usually brings it back to operational, then rebuild the consist. Tiresome to say the least and very inconvenient if you're blocking the track.

Unfortunately this happened again in the same section and the lead loco would not respond at all to corrections. I was getting drop outs of the cursor on the Cab's display just when entering the zero value command. The cursor would jump up into the upper line for a split second and the back down into the bottom line before dissapearing altogether. Consequently the engine was still "locked out". After 3 attempts I removed it and took it round to the staging yard, tried again, but still no go.

Grabbed another loco and rebuilt the consist so I could get the train back to the yard as well and this is where it got really confusing. I had left the offender on the track in the yard with the power to it still on and the loco at the entry to that yard track. When I rebuilt the consist with the other loco, the system assigned the same previous consist address (127), being the first that NCE gives a consist (all the others running trains were using phones, they don't appear to get assigned consist numbers in the base station, or in the loco's decoders either). Ran the train for a short distance and there's another short, someone yells out from around by the yard and I go around and there's that other loco derailed on the turnout at the far end of the track it was on. Pulled it back and isolated that track, continued to bring the train around.

Found both the the train's locos and the previously unresponsive one, were obeying the same direction/speed commands. Took till I'm writing this to have the "light bulb moment" as to what may have gone on. Whatever it was at the original incident, the loco hadn't gone into a phantom consist, must have been sitting on a big dead spot, rendering it unresponsive, but still in that #127 consist address. Once I rebuilt the consist again, using that #, it reacted to commands. Now that sounds a reasonable explanation, but it doesn't explain why, after moving it to the yard track and going through the POM, CV19=0 process, it didn't clear the consist from it's decoder then and if it was a dead spot in the track, how was I able to build another consist, using another loco at exactly the same place.

Ray, I've had to "browse" and "kill" consists, so a bad actor engine will leave the group.

Good Sunday Morning Everyone. 80° and mostly cloudy. At least there's a breeze and the humidity is low. Expecting close to triple digits today. Yesterday was an average summer day here, mowing, weedeating, tree pruning and tomato picking in the cooler morning. After lunch was indoor chores like laundry and computer stuff. Wife is out of town for two days babysitting and doing her "in Dallas" errands. Contractor was here for a while working on the bathroom alone. His helper went to Mexico for his wife's birthday. All is on hold right now while we wait for the foundation people to come Tuesday and make some adjustments. It's a semi-annual thing when you have pier and beam on black gumbo clay ground. We just missed on the timing this year.
Out in the train shed, I completed all but the four figures on the court house. Pictures were crappy so I'll have to take some more. Since I had the weathering powders out for the structure, I weathered the Athearn gondola that I built a few weeks ago, plastic wheels (short axle) and all. The town project wasn't forgotten, as I completed the ground cover along the ROW with ground foam and field grass. I am not happy with the current results on the power lines that I installed and I have to make some type of adjustments.

Greg - I have done that type of window masking before, but this courthouse has 53 windows/doors and masking would have taken me far too long. Thanks for reminding me about the paint in the bathroom:confused:. She hasn't even begun that adventure yet, but we're doing that part ourselves so there is no time constraints, 2019 maybe! Still got the medicine cabinet to decide on as well.
Sherrel - Where are you???

Everybody have a great day.

Ray, I've had to "browse" and "kill" consists, so a bad actor engine will leave the group.

Because I'm about the only one in the club who makes a habit of building multi loco consists, it happens to mine the most often. Also there are only a handful that have cabs, most rely on the WIFI and phones. I have noted that I'm not totally alone from some of the oddball effects that happen when programming, building consists seems to be the main time that it happens. I eliminated the WIFI as having any possibility of involvement and now put it down to either the steel framing in the building and the layout, or the fact that we have the electrified 1/1 scale mainline only about 50' from the back wall and/or a combination of both. Seeing NCE works in the industrial waveband, the signalling and communications on that line could be the cause. Just got to suffer it. The phones don't seem to be affected at all, but I'm not keen on their limited control capabilities or the touch screen interface. Altogether too "touchy".

Good day everyone,

Yesterday we travelled to Iowa to see our niece who lives in Colorado. She was having a birthday party at her Grandpas house in ST Charles Iowa. It was 10 hours in a car, and we spent about 4 hrs at the party. Long day, so no train activities yesterday. Today is cathing up on yard chores due to our week long rain. I have training for work next week thru Thursday, so nothing train related this week.

Have a great day all.

Good morning. 58 degrees and partly cloudy to start off the day.

Yesterday didn't quite go the way I had hoped. After some rain overnight, I had to wait a bit before starting to mow the lawn. Got about half the way done and then the rains came. The Sirrius radio that my wife got me for Fathers Day came in last week so I went to the shop and installed it. My son had also called up saying that his Durango had a miss so I had him bring over a set of new plug wires and plugs. That jib was a pain. No room to work on the hemi engine. What shoukld have been abiut a half hour job ended up taking almost three because of the tight spaces and access problems.

Thanks for sso many comments on the photo posted at Logan, MT.. My son and I were on the way to the gun range just down the road and when I saw the photo coming together, I had to stop.

Justin,
you did score a good one.

Ken D&J
- The video did not work.

ACL CSX
- The post office came through. Should keep you busy for a while. Like the equipment register. Good find.

Willie - At least you got some work done on trains. Just have way too much else going on to get anything done train wise.

Toot - Sounds like an interesting night at the club.

I also got over the the club in Livingston and it was quite a busy night. We had a lot of visitors and had a lot of trains running. Toot, a couple of out club members do multiple locomotive consists. Not only did he have the multi loco lash up going pulling a 45 car coal train, he also had a DM&IR Yellowstone puling an ore train at the same time. And to top that off, he had a set of three MRL helpers pushing the coal train up the grade at the club.

20180623_203135.jpg

Here's the ore train. I'm sure Greg would like it. There is actual iron ore in the ore cars.

20180623_200635.jpg
20180623_195719.jpg

With Dewey running multiple trains, everyone had to be on their toes and watch the signals. In the top photo you can see them. Tracks do cross under the tunnels and if you don't pay attention to the signals, it can be easy to have a wreck. In the photo below, I took the siding to let Challenger pass while the coal train was running in the opposite direction.

20180623_202413.jpg

The Challenger is from Athearn. I was so tempted to get one of them but my turntables are just too short. It is a beautiful locomotive and really can pull a load up the grades in the layout.

20180623_201926.jpg

The last photo is of one of so many mini scenes on the layout. Here a train crew gets to see some of the wild life.

20180623_200242.jpg

There are so many little mini scenes on the layout that I am still finding ones I haven't see before. While we're running trains, Deweys wife is busy at work adding more scenery. I asked if she would like to come over and work on mine but she said that I didn't have enough money. She's probably right, but it might be worth it.

I am waiting for things to dry out in the yard so I can finish mowing the lawn. Hope nobody does any rain dances. My son and his wife will be over later with a case if BACON and sausage to be put in vacuum bags. Love that bacon.

Later.

Good afternoon Everyone....sunny and seasonal in Wisconsin today.

Had a grad party yesterday for a child of my wife's cousin and it was held at private tennis club. The girl graduated from a private high school and comes from a background with lots $$$$. Today the in-laws are coming over before going back to Arizona later. Guess no trains again today.

Chet: Again, great photographs and yes, I do like the ore train. The pics are so clear and sharp. It looks like a lot of fun operating on the Livingston Club layout.

That Challenger is a work horse pulling a long train like that up grades!

Toot:
I have only two locomotives that I consist and they are Milwaukee U-boats and I just use the same address for each unit. They pull my ore train. No problems cheating on building a consist this way.

Wife's on her way back home...I better look like I'm doing something.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Greg

####################

Good morning. 58 degrees and partly cloudy to start off the day.

Yesterday didn't quite go the way I had hoped. After some rain overnight, I had to wait a bit before starting to mow the lawn. Got about half the way done and then the rains came. The Sirrius radio that my wife got me for Fathers Day came in last week so I went to the shop and installed it. My son had also called up saying that his Durango had a miss so I had him bring over a set of new plug wires and plugs. That jib was a pain. No room to work on the hemi engine. What shoukld have been abiut a half hour job ended up taking almost three because of the tight spaces and access problems.

Thanks for sso many comments on the photo posted at Logan, MT.. My son and I were on the way to the gun range just down the road and when I saw the photo coming together, I had to stop.

Justin, you did score a good one.

Ken D&J - The video did not work.

ACL CSX - The post office came through. Should keep you busy for a while. Like the equipment register. Good find.

Willie - At least you got some work done on trains. Just have way too much else going on to get anything done train wise.

Toot - Sounds like an interesting night at the club.

I also got over the the club in Livingston and it was quite a busy night. We had a lot of visitors and had a lot of trains running. Toot, a couple of out club members do multiple locomotive consists. Not only did he have the multi loco lash up going pulling a 45 car coal train, he also had a DM&IR Yellowstone puling an ore train at the same time. And to top that off, he had a set of three MRL helpers pushing the coal train up the grade at the club.

View attachment 28739

Here's the ore train. I'm sure Greg would like it. There is actual iron ore in the ore cars.

View attachment 28740View attachment 28741

With Dewey running multiple trains, everyone had to be on their toes and watch the signals. In the top photo you can see them. Tracks do cross under the tunnels and if you don't pay attention to the signals, it can be easy to have a wreck. In the photo below, I took the siding to let Challenger pass while the coal train was running in the opposite direction.

View attachment 28744

The Challenger is from Athearn. I was so tempted to get one of them but my turntables are just too short. It is a beautiful locomotive and really can pull a load up the grades in the layout.

View attachment 28745

The last photo is of one of so many mini scenes on the layout. Here a train crew gets to see some of the wild life.

View attachment 28746

There are so many little mini scenes on the layout that I am still finding ones I haven't see before. While we're running trains, Deweys wife is busy at work adding more scenery. I asked if she would like to come over and work on mine but she said that I didn't have enough money. She's probably right, but it might be worth it.

I am waiting for things to dry out in the yard so I can finish mowing the lawn. Hope nobody does any rain dances. My son and his wife will be over later with a case if BACON and sausage to be put in vacuum bags. Love that bacon.

Later.
Thank you. I was more than pleased with my find. Glad the post office came through as well. Bacon is perfect for any occasion, but enough of that for the time being. I have serious train related business. I'm tired of waiting for the money to continue planning my layout based on EZ track. I know it's more work to lay track bed, track, and ballast, but at this point I don't care about the work. Regular track seems to be cheaper than what I have been using, so I can buy more of it at once. Looking for recommendations on track brand. I currently have some Atlas code 80. What do y'all suggest?

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning and I have been doing research for a display project I will probably start January 2019. It will be 3 F&C flat cars (F22's) set with AMB's wooden decks and battleship gun tube kit mounted on the flat cars. After it's built I plan on putting it in a display case and displaying it on the wall of the train room. MOH is making a rotisserie Moroccan spiced chicken for supper. We have had it twice before and it is yummy;).

I'm sad to say that a great Pennsy modeling tool is shutting it's doors. Keystone Crossings announced this on it's site a couple of days ago. Jerry Britton did a hell of a job on it for years. That site was my go to site for Pennsy info on 1:1 and modeling info when I first started modeling the Pennsy. I am sorry to see it go.

Good news on my SIL, late yesterday she was moved to a rehab facility close to her home. My brother has no idea how long she will be there. This turned out to be a much more positive outcome than I expected.

Jesse- Nice haul.

VA Ken- Sorry, I couldn't get your last video to play.

ACL-CSX- I hope the book helps you. I started with Atlas Code 83 flextrack and Atlas T/O's, I still use the Atlas Flex Track but have converted all but a couple of T/O's to PECO (much better quality). I do have 1 Shinohara 3 way T/O going into the yard.

Toot- The club I used to frequent had the same issues. They have a Digitrax system. They clear the stack (saved loco addresses) before starting a large number of operators. The club has a very large layout and there were frequent issues with freezing and runaway locos on outlying areas. The club bought 2 boosters and installed them and that took care of about 95% of the issues.

Chet- Impressive club layout.

20180623_130351.jpg

20180623_130229.jpg

Doing planning for when the project finally gets done.

20180623_133053.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon gentlemen. It's sunny & low 80's here. Just got home from helping mom at the community garden(we have 2 side by side 4x8 ft beds). Put down a bag of "fertilizer", so I guess you can say I was spreading the bull*%$*. LOL. I'm hoping to get a little more work in the train room today, while the better half is still at work.

Greg- that must have been quite a while back. I know the club met somewhere on Central in the past, but I'm not sure where. Was This motel downtown? If not, where was this? I know we have been next to the old Marshfield Flooring building on the Southside for at least 4 years now.

Back