Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Afternoon All,

Feeling much better today. I feel like I ran 100 errands this morning but it was actually 9. The new pool pump and motor is in and runs but I have to replace the big O ring for the tower lid and have to replace the timer. The wiring connectors that are part of it is broken on one side. Did I mention how much I dislike the pool? I'll give Phil a call in a bit to see how he's doing.

No update about SIL today yet but she is alert and talking now, so I expect they'll start the treatment for PML now.

I guess I am now officially old. I start drawing SS benefits in November.:eek:

Terry- Nice job on the sound install.

Chet- Great looking flat car loads. Nice looking RS unit and station.

Johnny/Willie- Great photo. I'm glad you guys were able to meet up.

Justin- Congrats to you and the missus. A good name wood be Curt:D:D. That loco is an oldie but a goodie.

Sherrel- Great looking steamer. Are the CA fires anywhere close to you or David (Coarsgold))?

Greg- Nice junk yard scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I like Greg's solution the best - and I have plenty of ammo for my several rifles. Problem is having enough time to sit and watch for mole activity. Seems to me they are most active whenever I'm not looking. Maybe they have mole scouts?

Good evening. It's cloudy and 64.
I received a locomotive I got through Ebay, and tried to run it. It appears to have a bad motor. It shorted out the entire layout, and burned up the decoder I put in it. That is one of the big drawbacks of NCE systems, they don't support an analog address, so you can check this stuff before installing a decoder. I've currently made a dummy out of it, until I can find a motor and another decoder.
It wasn't all bad. I also won a Genesis GP7 with sound for $100, and a BLI I1SA with sound for $150. Both of them work great. The seller of the shorted engine sold it as "used" As-Is. I can't prove it, but I have a suspicion he might have had an idea there might have been something wrong with it when he offered it for sale. Well, until I find some parts, it's a hangar queen...

Good evening ...

We had thunder storms earlier...... We had a power outage for 2 1/2 hours, and it just came back on.

Greg .... Your scrap yard scene looks great ...

Terry .... Good deals on eBay ! ,,,, I like the Genesis GP7's I have. You got one for the price of the sound decoder. Amazing !

Curt .... You were asking about CA wildfires, did you hear about the one in CO ?. .... The Durango & Silverton is not operating because of it.

Below is copied from the Durango and Silverton website.

The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (D&SNGRR), announced today it is extending the suspension of its coal-fired steam train passenger service through at least Sat, June 30, following extensive consultation with local authorities and agencies regarding their progress in containing the 416 Fire and the status of current fire, drought and weather conditions.
The D&SNGRR also announced today it is canceling the 2018 edition of its popular family-oriented dinosaur train experience, The T-REX Express, originally scheduled for the weekends of June 16-17 and June 23-24.
All guests whose coal-fired steam train and T-REX Express excursions are canceled as a result of this resolution will receive full, immediate and automatic ticket refunds. Ticket holders should allow 7-10 business days for their refunds to be processed and appear on their credit card statements.
As previously stated, the D&SNGRR, in conjunction with local authorities, agencies, and other important community leaders and stakeholders, is still evaluating the feasibility of launching limited-range diesel locomotive passenger service later this summer once it is safe to do so. Once those plans are fully determined, the railroad will publicly announce all relevant details, including fares, schedules, and itineraries, associated with this new passenger service.
In the meantime, the company encourages Durango-area visitors and impacted passengers to visit the D&SNGRR depot for scheduled railyard tours and free museum admission.

Good evening. It's cloudy and 64.
I received a locomotive I got through Ebay, and tried to run it. It appears to have a bad motor. It shorted out the entire layout, and burned up the decoder I put in it. That is one of the big drawbacks of NCE systems, they don't support an analog address, so you can check this stuff before installing a decoder. I've currently made a dummy out of it, until I can find a motor and another decoder.
It wasn't all bad. I also won a Genesis GP7 with sound for $100, and a BLI I1SA with sound for $150. Both of them work great. The seller of the shorted engine sold it as "used" As-Is. I can't prove it, but I have a suspicion he might have had an idea there might have been something wrong with it when he offered it for sale. Well, until I find some parts, it's a hangar queen...
Interesting, if not very pleasing for you. I knew that you can run an analogue loco with Digitraxx on address 00, but didn't know it would also be a way to test for faults in DC. I'm pretty sure NCE recommend testing dual capability decoders with DC first, on the theory that if it will run OK on that, it will be also OK with digital. How you would get on with a used DC/DCC decoder that had had the DC capability turned off in the programming, might present a problem, especially as it's necessary to reprogram that back to capable with your NCE system. Catch 22?

Good morning everyone. 68 and overcast, hitting 88 later with 20% chance of rain today. We need that rain.

Garry - is the D&SNGRR one that you've taken a ride on? Are you planning other train rides soon?
Willie, Tony, others - I was reading the forum posts on weathering powders using talcum powder, comparing with Brogdon's, etc. - weathering is not something I've gotten into much yet, so those kinds of discussions are interesting to me. I'll file it away for future reference.

Not much to report from the modeling room - keep working on MR-IV painting. Will begin the trim and detail painting now, then onto window coverings and decals, etc. Will post photos as it gets further along.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 75°. Stayed cloudy for most of yesterday resulting in a high of only 92°, a welcome respite. It has also allowed to pool to cool off somewhat to a very pleasant 82°. Outdoor activities yesterday included garden mulching and maintenance along with about 45 minutes of mowing. Weather Bureau is scheduling the next rain event for Monday-Tuesday at 70%; meanwhile more of the same.
Out in the train shed, I worked on the DPM courthouse.
06-13-18 003.JPG

After assembly Monday, I painted yesterday. Here is a not too good pre-painted picture. I have to remember to block the window behind the workbench for better color.
06-13-18 001.JPG

Spent some more time detailing the grade crossing, but ultimately running trains to check clearances, took over the afternoon.

Johnny - Here are the pictures of my build of Merchant's Row IV. I used the stock businesses here since they fit with the town of Charlottesville (named after my granddaughter) that it is going to reside in. I have not yet weathered it until I determine all of the surrounding areas.
06-13-18 006.JPG

06-13-18 008.JPG

These pictures were temporarily staged, little people will not step off the stair landing into the aisle below.
06-13-18 010.JPG

06-13-18 011.JPG

I think that I painted all of the figures except Doris, at the right hand side of the bicycle shop, who came from a Woodland Scenics set.
Chet - Wow, 30°! Rather chilly for June. I too hope that the armadillo is the last critter. Between catching them and traveling to release them, it is taking a lot of time away from modeling.;) Not sure about Phil either, the last E-Mail that I got from him was Friday.
Curt - Glad to read that you are feeling better, glad that SIL is doing well also. Congratulations on the SS benefits. It doesn't mean that you are old! Always remember that SS is not an entitlement, as you invested in it all of your working life. If the government had invested all of it in the stock market since November 2016, there wouldn't be a concern about insolvency any time soon.

Still miss Karl, Ken in Md, Bruce and Dave Banta. Hoping that all is well and that they come back for a visit soon.
It's been about three months since Eric's untimely passing also. RIP

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, everybody ....

Johnny ..... It was a very long time ago when I rode on the Durango and Siiverton. It was still owned by the Rio Grande then.

WIllie ..... It was very kind of you to remind us of Eric's passing. .... I would like ver much to see the MIA's you mentioned return.

Also, Willie .... Your downtown buildings look great. ....

Last night, had a little fun naming buildings.... I had an unnamed restaurant, and last night I named it "Stray Dog Cafe". I got the idea when we were in Missouri recently, and we pass a redneck restaurant named "Stray Dog BBQ". I changed it to "Cafe" because it is a downtown restaurant. ... I also put up a sign across the street saying: "Flea Market".

42050327724_37bebc2810_b.jpg

Good morning fellers. I see we are sharing structures.....I literally stink at painting structures!!!! I mess it up everytime. Best to buy the already colored structure kits to save me the headache.

Good morning. I'll have a sweet roll with a cup of black coffee please.

Starting off at 45 degrees with an expected high near 80 today.

With the mowing deck just about totally rebuilt, I took off early yesterday to see how it performs and the results were outstanding. After a few years of letting my grandson mow, the deck had taken a bit of a beating. The yard looks like a golf course. My neighbor even came over and mentioned how good it looked and wondered what I did. The wind picked up a bit about halfway through the yard and I had grass clippings in crevices of my body I didn't know I had.

Greg - Happy to see you finally have water, a good thing to have in the kitchen. Been there and done that, but I was the plumber. A little more incentive to get the job done. Moles can really be destructive. I have had one for years, but the area he likes to live in is way at the back of the property where it doesn't get much traffic. It has constantly been moving over the years and it appears that it has now moved onto the field north of me. I have also tried numerous ways to try to get it but without any success. Gave up on it a few years ago because of where the little bugger seems to be moving.

Ray - I am not very familiar with DCC as I am a DC operator at home, but I am happy that the club does use Digitrax as I have been able to run some of my DC equipment at the club. I usually run my little NP RS-1 but with the two and a half percent grade I am really limited to about 8 or 9 cars max. Running the DC equipment makes a lot of difference.

Garry - Interesting photo. I have some names for as yet unsigned businesses, but haven't made any signs for them yet. Another procrastination project.

Willie- Those are some nice photos of the town buildings. I really like the County Courthouse building. By the time it had come out, I didn't have any room for it on the layout. That would be a nice addition to any town scene. Waiting to see it completed.

Here's a rail picture for today.

YlPHId.jpg

Later

More HOT expected today! Good Morning all ... summer has arrived.

Well, Let's see now? California IDIOTS want to divide the State three ways!
That means TRIPLE the number of political offices with even more on the dole!
Hell, I may even try for one of the "openings"!
The only good thing about it is the fact that I would once again live in the South - LOL!

Willie - good looking kit - I forget - Where is it going? I don't remember seeing a large enough bare spot?
Garry - Great names for the shops! (nice photo too) I have been following the "416 fire" north of Durango and corresponding with a few Silverton residents that I know from living there in the 70's.
What a shame that any of that gorgeous scenery in that part of Colorado would be destroyed. I sure hope that they are able to stop it before long.
JUSTIN: The statement you made about painting structures is once again showing a lack of patience. You can do it! Just do a little at a time - even if you say to yourself, " I'm going to paint one window frame at a time". I am not saying this to be critical, and I hope you do not take it that way. Be the tortoise in the race and not the hare! No one is timing you and you get no extra points for being "fast".
CHET: Forget the "rail photos". That video from the club is your best work, so far! The scenery (with the background) has to be some of the best I have seen. More- More! Luv those RS's ... I count 28 cars + cab - I think? Nice length for a train.

Dinner at GREG'S house this weekend -- he has a working kitchen again!

Sherrel - Thanks for the complement. The backgrounds are a combination of some of Walthers Instant Horizons and some painted by local artists of the scenery right in the Livingston area. Here's another short video of the same train passing the Livingston yard. Had to step things up as I had to get clear of the yard at the other end because another train had to leave the yard before another train coming the other way needed to enter the yard where that train was parked.

When I first started with the club they were a bit hesitant, but after a few operating sessions, they figured out that I knew what the heck I was doing.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

I got the new timer in after 2 trips to Lowes, wiring it wrong first, and a really good shock when I forgot that power was on. Also got the new O ring and started it all up and finally everything works like it's supposed to. Of course this now means it's up to me to get the pool cleaned up...sigh, have I said I really dislike the pool?:confused:

Garry- I actually did hear of it and I hope the RR survives but I was more concerned about Sherrel and Dave. Great play on words on the buildings and really nice scene.

Willie- Great looking buildings. The courthouse could become a focal point on your layout.

Chet- Nice videos. I liked the cows mooing. I have a BLI K7 car that does that. I counted 27 cars, that's quite a bit more than the 9 you were talking about. Did it actually snow up there the other day?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet , Sherrel, and Curt ...... Thanks for commenting on my photo ,,

Sherrel ... I did a facebook request to you. I saw you commenting on something that Curt was looking at. .. I have been getting rid of much of FB, and now don't hav many FB friends. However, I would like some model train nuts on FB friends

Stayed cloudy for most of yesterday resulting in a high of only 92°, a welcome respite. It has also allowed to pool to cool off somewhat to a very pleasant 82°. Outdoor activities yesterday included garden mulching and maintenance along with about 45 minutes of mowing.
I see you left the "dressing room" intact alongside the pool, Willie.

Glad to oblige you, Garry.
I need to clean up some of my FB as well. Too many rescue sites - can't keep up with them all. Probably two dozen RR groups as well + my latest is "B36 Interest Group" - ---
What a monster of a machine. The AF used the refinery near our house when I was 8-9 YO to make low level practice runs on. There is no way to accurately describe the sound that you could hear for miles. The ground literally shook and the dishes/pots/pans rattled. Good thing we were so poor that we had no china cabinet.
1528940835717.png

Sherrel .... B36 was remarkable .... I think I saw one at the aircraft museum in Tuscan, AZ. They have at least one of just about every airplane ever made I think. ... I remember one of my first plastic airplane kits I put together when I was a kid was a B36. ... With FB, I almost never post anything, but I did a post today.

Chet , Sherrel, and Curt ...... Thanks for commenting on my photo ,,

Sherrel ... I did a facebook request to you. I saw you commenting on something that Curt was looking at. .. I have been getting rid of much of FB, and now don't hav many FB friends. However, I would like some model train nuts on FB friends

Don't know where you are, GARRY? No friend request on my FB?
I will try you in the AM. Don;t have my phone with me at moment!

Back