Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Good Morning everyone....rain last night and sunny and cool this morning. Off to the car wash to get the bird poop off the truck from the Red Jump Start bird that was harassing the cabin windows and my truck.

Willie: I remember the armadillos when riding the Gold Wing in a couple of southern states, you don't want to hit one of those critters with your bike's front tire. Lots of road kill.

Touch up painting in the kitchen today and then the electrician comes tomorrow. Counter tops on Friday and then the plumber.

Need to get down in the layout room! No RR news to report.

Like new Budd car from Rapido...! A friend has an earlier version and he installed interior lighting, passengers, maker lights and LED headlights.

That's all for now!

Greg

##############################

Good morning. 50 degrees and sunny skies to start off the day with an expected high in the mid 70's.

I was able to chase down the parts for my mowing deck yesterday. There's one place locally that almost always has what I need in the way of parts for power equipment. I have been dealing with them for over 30 years. If they don't have the part, they could always get it.

When it comes to cruises, I'm not really into them. After six years in the Navy serving mostly on destroyers, I have seen my fill of the ocean. Spent a lot of time in the Caribbean being home ported in Mayport, Florida and then making more Med cruises than I can remember, a north Atlantic cruise and then being flag ship in the middle east stationed out of Bahrain which allowed us to visit ports in Africa and countries in the Indian Ocean allowed to to have visited 73 countries. The trip to Bahrain also allowed us to turn the trip into an around the world trip as when we left, we did not go back across the Atlantic, but instead went east to visit Australia, New Zealand, many of the Pacific Islands on the way to Japan, and then across to Hawaii and then through the Panama Canal and finally back to Florida. The best part was visiting all of the countries and getting paid for it to boot.

Greg - Sounds like you have a bird problem. Last year we had a couple crapping all over the deck railing and our DirecTV dish. Got a plastic owl and put him on the railing and no more birds. When it comes to gambling, quitting when you ahead is the thing to do. Sounds like the kitchen is coming along nicely. I was the plumber and electrician when we did ours. The counter tops were the only part we didn't do. Watching the House Hunters series, granite counter tops seems to be the craze. My wife won't have any thing to do with them. She wanted solid surface.

Willie - good luck with the bathroom project. We gutted and rebuilt two bathrooms a couple of years ago. So glad that it is over.

Here's a rail photo for today.

goshen-pond-may-2012-0232.jpg

Later

Chet: My owl decoy doesn't bother the bird at all. In fact I set out a second decoy that is animated when anything moves in front of it and it is failing to scare the bird too.

Greg

Afternoon All,

Slow day today. I spent a couple of hours finishing putting the shingles on. I'm glad that is over. I decided to spray paint (black) the shingles after gluing down instead of before. I tend to be a little sloppy with the glue (W/S FoamTack) and I have found that painting before tends to leave splotches that weathering powders stick to leaving small blobs. I'll paint the roof tomorrow.

Terry- Why is it always a drunken sailor?:D

Sherrel- MOH and I have been on 12 cruises. My favorite part is the days at sea. I find them very relaxing. I fought going on a cruise initially because I refused to pay to go to sea, but I found I enjoyed them since I wasn't boating with the Navy anymore.o_O

Willie- I'm like you, just pick something and I'll be fine with it. We have tiled 4 rooms and laid wood in 3 over the years. It's not that hard to do except on the knees and back. Of course it gets harder the older you get.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I suppose you can cross a toad with a bird commonly dwelling in cities to get a "Pigeon Toad" ....

.... Oh .... Never mind....

Good Afternoon Everyone....sunny and cool in Wisconsin. Great outdoor weather!!!

Spend the afternoon touch up painting and patching where the new cabinets didn't hide the paint lines from the previous cabinets and paint jobs over 40 years.

Electrician tomorrow doing jobs that I would of done a few years ago, but I don't want to work in the attic splitting a circuit or hanging several fixtures. I'll watch him do the work...and hope he doesn't ask who installed all the GFI's and other outlets. I've worked around with 24k volts in our private utility before I retired, so 120 volts doesn't bother me much at all.

In our village a home owner can do all work himself if he has a permit and the work is inspected. Inspection takes time like our new water heater took six months before an inspection happened.

Almost Miller Time (Screwdrivers).

Chet: Will use a .22 with Rat Shot to scare the bird away I hope this weekend. He's a beautiful bird with orange, black and white markings.

Willie: Good luck with your remodeling projects.

Can't decide which engine to purchase, a NP SW-1, the Rapido Budd car or the Canadian National SW-1200??? It will be my last engine.

That's all for now.

Greg

Good Night everyone....

###############################

Progressed along with the Kato build tonight, got the bits all onto each end of the walkway piece. If I thought some of the cab ones were fiddly, got nothing on those ones. Next comes the brake gear on the trucks before washing all the parts and dulling the paintwork. Maybe I should have done that first, what has made this assembly extra difficult was, that being an NS loco and everything gloss black, light either reflects off it or makes it more difficult to see the holes. Having a look at the dynamited plans, it appears the truck frames pull (prise) off similar to Athearns, hopefully that means the power pickup plates stay with the axles. Anyone confirm? The fuel tank I see has clips at each end to split that for removal.

Good Morning Gang. 76° and partly cloudy. Well that cool spell was nice while it lasted! Reluctantly, I spent about two hours mowing yesterday since I won't see those temperatures again until September.
Out in the train shed, I resumed work on the power lines, stretching and supergluing along the way. I'm about 75% complete right now, then I'll go for the feeders to the businesses/townhouses.

Greg - The interesting thing about armadillo road-kill, is that when frightened, they jump straight up into the air. They're capable of 2-3 feet but normally hit the bottom of the vehicle which dooms them. They are really strange creatures, their favorite meal is fire ants. They can swim/float across water by filling their intestines with air, or they can fill their lungs and walk across the bottom. Never saw them get hit with a motorcycle; probably not a great experience. Unfortunately I didn't see my two latest friends yesterday, I am prepared with my gloves and bucket ready.
Curt - I've done my share of vinyl tile and wood flooring, over 800 sq. ft. in the last few years, but this time it's real ceramic tile/grout etc., which I don't feel comfortable with. I don't need leaks under the shower!

I am beginning to miss Louis, Karl and David. I am also looking forward to seeing what Bruce has planned for his latest version of the Michigan Central.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, everybody .

I was in Nashville yesterday.... Last night however, I did find time to continue working on the Empire Builder cars. Almost done with them .

Willie ..... I agree with you regarding Karl and David .... I hope they get back to posting regularly soon. .... your power lines project might be a little tedious. .... Since armadillos eat ants, they should be good to have on your property I would think.

Toot ... It's good to hear about your progress with your project.

Greg .... Your options for your last engine are different. I guess you should first decide what operations you will be doing. ... Good your cabinets are progressing.

Back