Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

IMG_5551_zpsdwq2nkpg.jpg

Good afternoon.

We finally arrived home around noon yesterday and found my son bemoaning my mowing deck on the tractor. It was apparently throwing the belt and not operating at all. A quick look and I found that the bearing on the center blade was shot. While the wife went to town for gracries and BEER, I borrowed the neighbors mower and did the yard.

I enjoy watching House Hunters on HGTV and really have to laugh when some guy whines about having to mow a postage stamp size lawn.

20180603_151939.jpg

Willie - Where the tall aspens are was where the gate from the garden we used to have was. I did enjoy gardening, but our summers are rather short and there are so many more things we also liked to do in the summer. When we took out the fence posts, I couldn't let a cpuple of perfectly good holes go to waste so we planted a couple of 5 foot aspens in them. They're around 60 feet tall now. I still haven't found anyone who sells a hole along with a tree. Also like your new buddy.

Ken D&J -
Enjoyed the short video. I sure hope that you can get that video editor up and running as I miss your videos. Also hope you dried out.

Garry -
Nice shot of the GP-7.

Gene - Like the switcher.

Now that the race is over I think it some for a cold one.

Later

Good evening. We have returned to our point of departure, only suffering two more GPS-induced incidents. One, where it sent us down the wrong highway--only added an hour to our trip time, and another when it sent us all the way around Charleston, WV, to get to a place a mile away from where we started. It also tried to route us through the worst part of our own town for our trip home, but I knew better than to take that route. After "recalculating", the revised route was 10 minutes shorter, while avoiding the undesirable area of town.
So, an new replacement GPS is in our future. I'm open to suggestions, though I want to stay as far away from Garmin products as possile. A truck or RV GPS would probably be a good option.
Any thoughts?

Why not just use your phone?
Ours worked 98% of the time ... spotty reception in a couple places ... but other than that were spot on.
The Jensen nav system in the RV REALLY SUCKS!

I just have to learn not to listen to the wife's WAZE!

The Some Gave All ride is a benefit ride for wounded soldiers in memory of two fallen warriors, Sgt Mason and Sgt Frazier.

Been messing with the video editor and had to run down to Best Buy to get another part. Now, it works. I can load video from my tape cameras. Now that it's working properly, I'm figuring out some of the editing improvements that the software offers. Makes thing easier and quicker, i.e. while the video is being printed to a DVD, I can do other things with the computer. My other machine could only do one thing at a time.

Why not just use your phone?
Ours worked 98% of the time ... spotty reception in a couple places ... but other than that were spot on.
The Jensen nav system in the RV REALLY SUCKS!

I just have to learn not to listen to the wife's WAZE!
Many of the places we go offer no cell reception. No cellular, no cell phone navigation. Last week, we were so far out in the boonies we drove for nearly 3 hours with no cell service.

Been messing with the video editor and had to run down to Best Buy to get another part. Now, it works. I can load video from my tape cameras. Now that it's working properly, I'm figuring out some of the editing improvements that the software offers. Makes thing easier and quicker, i.e. while the video is being printed to a DVD, I can do other things with the computer. My other machine could only do one thing at a time.

Ken: Great news! Can't wait to see some more of your work.

Good Morning All. It's a very comfortable 64° and mostly cloudy to start the day here. High today forecast to be 88°. This is normal for this time of year and is a welcome relief (however brief) from the far above average temperatures that we have had for the past 3 1/2 weeks. Looks like a major rainstorm headed our way from 50 miles west of here, hoping that it arrives and settles the dust.
As expected, I spotted another young armadillo yesterday afternoon, but it disappeared when I went to get my gloves and bucket. Makes me wonder why I haven't had any issues with mama-dillo! Their litters are always four young.
I didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday because of a busy home schedule. When I was there, I tentatively planted the five utility poles with their wires in place, and began the process of straightening/stretching and drooping them into a natural configuration. Too soon for a picture but the initial results are on par with what I expected using the materials that I used.

Ken (D&J) - It's a shame that the ride didn't have greater participation. Those guys probably endured worse conditions serving our country. Kudos to you and the other participants for your caring.
Good news regarding the video editor. I know that many of us (and probably your church as well) are looking forward to your very professional videos. Your current ones (re: GP38-2) are not bad by any means, I enjoyed it.
Sherrel - Your project list seems to be as long as mine. I agree with you regarding the off-site storage of photos. That's what my back-up external hard drive is for. Clouds disappear as rapidly as they form!
Gene - That's quite a switcher roster that you have been displaying, great picture yesterday, as the others were as well.
Chet - So nice to see your place without all that damn snow! I feel as you do regarding the mowing small lots, as I mow nearly three acres, although only about 1.5 gets weekly treatment. And the hayfield only gets mowed two or three times a year.
Terry - I am old fashioned and use maps when it comes to traveling, although I do use Bing maps ahead of time and print what I feel is right. Wife has something on her phone that is about 90% accurate, but there's a lot of places outside urban areas where it cannot be used. Cell service at our house itself is spotty at best with the carrier that she uses, although a half mile down the road it improves. She needs to change carriers, but she is tied into a plan that all of our kids use so she can save money! Landline works all of the time, even during severe weather, but no GPS.
Everybody have a great day.

Thanks Willie....I really like cab-end switchers and since I have a very small layout in a small apartment they are a perfect fit.

Good morning, y'all! 53° , yes that's 53° and cloudy at the Jersey Shore. If the forecast is correct and the clouds give way to sun, it will go into the 70s later today. I'll bet it's warmer in Minnesota and Montana this morning.

Good morning. Starting off at 55 degrees with an expected high in the low 80's.

Back to the grind I guess. Today I will have to try to locate the part for the mowing deck. That will probably be a pain.

Ken D&J - Happy that you finally got the video editor working. Hoping to see some of your excellent videos.

Gene - I am as happy as you are to not see any snow in the driveway. Nice video.

Terry - I am not sold on some of the GPS offers. I'm like Willie and am not against using maps. I do have the Tom Tom app on my phone and found that it is better than some of the factory GPS services. When traveling with friends who have a new Ford Explorer, it was hands down a lot better. We did use it a few times on out trip and it was excellent. The wife also was using Google maps which was pretty good.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Cathiron_WCML.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Chet...Newfoundland on our east coast got 15 inches a week or so ago and they are getting flurries today. That pic looks like it could be Europe or the UK

Good morning: Headed for 89 they say - high was 93 yesterday and it felt it!

Good news on the video there, KEN D&J. Maybe you will be able to use it out here when you visit?

GENE: Liked the 0-6-0 - cute little booger!

Good news department -- Repaired the yard sprinkler!
Now I need to do some shrub trimming before it gets too hot.

Bad news department -- Can't find the second set of keys for the RV!

Speaking of maps: I used to fly the Cubs with the side open - lost several sectional charts to the slipstream + gloves, caps, etc.

CHET -- I vote for the UK on the photo?

WILLIE -- Forgot to comment: I like your "signature", you old buzzard you!

Back