Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Good morning all,

Looks like cooler temps today with a high of 80 degrees. Good thing as my daughter has a soccer game this afternoon, and there is zero shade at the fields.

Still working on the backdrop. I have the inside about done, and braced up (only took 2 days to do....sarcasm!) the outside will be cake, all the bracing is now there. Just glue, and screw.

Willie......digging the new avatar! Thanks for the cross bracing suggestion. Its very stable as is, but I never thought if I had to lean across it.

Garry......Your layout never ceases to amaze me.

Chet......A great photo of Mt Rushmore, I hope to get to see it in person some day.

Enjoy the day all!

Afternoon All,

Had a good time at Tom's today and a couple other friends showed up also. Tom has the BLI Thunder and Lightning system. He installed it over his lagoon and it's pretty cool. I picked up a pack of paper shingles (Branchline) from the LHS. They only had one and I'll probably need another to finish the roof, but it will get me started.

Garry- Nice layout picture.

Cleric- Welcome.

Willie- That sounds like something I would do.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie, I too lost a brake wheel from a flatcar one evening, while prepping it for weathering, an Intermountain 70 tonner. Sometimes of a clear night I look heavenwards, not as plea, but in the possibility that it may be one of those little dots of light that pass overhead. My luck, I'll get to see it burn up on re-entry.

Willie, I too lost a brake wheel from a flatcar one evening, while prepping it for weathering, an Intermountain 70 tonner. Sometimes of a clear night I look heavenwards, not as plea, but in the possibility that it may be one of those little dots of light that pass overhead. My luck, I'll get to see it burn up on re-entry.

Toot: One positive of having to completely gut my basement for rehabilitation into the "Train Room" was finding about six of those small extractor springs that would always try to go orbital on me. Ended up buying a dozen of them a while ago in anticipation of losing one or two.

Toot: One positive of having to completely gut my basement for rehabilitation into the "Train Room" was finding about six of those small extractor springs that would always try to go orbital on me. Ended up buying a dozen of them a while ago in anticipation of losing one or two.
Mine has a concrete floor (garage), I was down on hands and knees, shining a torch across at floor level, which usually picks up bits. I did forget to check my clothing though at the time.

Open house went well. Had some problems with a lift section due to wood swelling from the moisture.
Still haven't got the new video editor working. I can't load video to it from my camera. I have asked B&H but they haven't got a clue other than to buy the newer cameras that use a solid state storage that transfers a video file to the machine instead of a tape transfer. All they were really concerned about was selling a computer despite what I told them was my concern. I've spent an additional $300 trying to resolve this. Really P.Od about it and I don't think B&H really cares.

Open house went well. Had some problems with a lift section due to wood swelling from the moisture.
Still haven't got the new video editor working. I can't load video to it from my camera. I have asked B&H but they haven't got a clue other than to buy the newer cameras that use a solid state storage that transfers a video file to the machine instead of a tape transfer. All they were really concerned about was selling a computer despite what I told them was my concern. I've spent an additional $300 trying to resolve this. Really P.Od about it and I don't think B&H really cares.

Sounds like they operate by the 1-2 method.= Once we have your money-too bad. They may have added a 3 =send us some more.

Just a note on the efforts to install all the grabs etc onto the Kato SD80MAC. Have all the pieces onto the cab and long hood. Not keen on them being made of plastic as with all this sort of thing now, they are a semi interference fit into their mounting holes and the plastic doesn't resist bending of course like wire ones do, nor allow much pressure to be applied. Open the holes up too much and they float around. Still got the MU hoses/cut bars to do and the airbrake pieces on the truck sides. Couldn't find scrap sprue that fitted the marker light holes nicely, so still pondering them.

Ken: I don't get it. I have an old Hi8 Sony camcorder that I can easily hook up to the Win10 laptop and transfer video files. I know that your setup is light years beyond mine but there should be a simple/cheap alternative to your dilemma. Is there an other outlet for help other than the 'experts' at B&H?

Good evening ....

Chet, Terry, Curt, Willie, Mike, and others I missed .... Thanks for commenting on my recent photos.

Ken D&J .... Sorry to hear about the video problems. I was looking forward to seeing the GP38-2 in action. Otherwise, Good to hear the open house went well.

Toot .... Sounds like you are progressing with installing the grabs on the SD70Mac ...

Speaking of grabs...... I installed them on two of the three Walthers Empire Builder cars that need them .... One to go .... Next I have 14 Walthers Santa Fe cars ( including 8 Super Chief cars) that need them.... It's tedious work, and I can't do too much at a time....

Cheers !

Sam - yeah, you would think it would work. This has Windozz 10 but I'm getting the impression that the industry wants to force everyone to the file system vs. the tape transfer; TO SELL MORE CAMERAS, and B&H happily plays along, because they make money.

Good morning. It's sunny and 73 here.

Ken, can you find a program to transfer the files from tape to computer, then transfer to the editor?

Yeah, that's a capability of the Edius video editing software, but it needs the hardware to do that. I'm inclined to think the capability is engineered out of this system. I have been using Edius software since the mid 90s when it was under the name of Canopus.
I think it's just a shame that they would do this, just to make money for themselves. Falls right in line with Photobucket.

Last edited:
I thought that might be too easy...

Don't get me started on the P-Bucket debacle. Supposedly, they fired their CEO, and have reversed course on their image hosting policy. It's too late for me, because I went to the trouble of deleting everything there, and canceling my account. I won't give them the opportunity to do it again. Get me once, shame on you... :(

Heading out in a little bit to ride in the "Some Gave All" ride here in Virginia. The ride goes, rain or shine. This year, there will be plenty of rain.

Don't get me started on the P-Bucket debacle. Supposedly, they fired their CEO, and have reversed course on their image hosting policy. It's too late for me, because I went to the trouble of deleting everything there, and canceling my account. I won't give them the opportunity to do it again. Get me once, shame on you... :(
I think by now, it will be too late for them as well if that is so. Rebuilding trust after the debacle and treatment they have given their previous loyal clients will be nigh impossible. Imagine too the angst among those that might have been forced to pay because their businesses depended on the photos they have stored there.

Good Morning Guys. 72° and mostly cloudy with a stiff north wind cooling things off a bit. High today of 90° instead of the 99° we reached yesterday. They're predicting 64° for tonight. The critter onslaught continues on the SFW estate. Yesterday I caught an armadillo by hand. Small one that might weigh one pound at most. I estimate that it is only 3-4 months old, as they are usually born in early March in this area. Good: I caught it; bad: they are always born in litters of four, although I have not seen any evidence of mama. Note to Sherrel, this one could not run very fast as evidenced by the fact that I caught it - short legs maybe? I am referring to your rememberance of the one that your father brought home.
06-03-18 001.001.JPG

Out in the train shed, I started to string the wire through the insulators of the five electrical poles that I am adding to the small town business district. I drilled very small holes through the insulators, six per pole, as I feel that it will give more realism than simply gluing or any other method of attachment. I am using very fine steel wire that I stripped out of discarded computer cable when my company went wireless. This wire is encased in the cable along with the silver data wires, to add strength to the cable. There's seven of them that have to be unraveled to obtain a single strand; some of which I have posted before as barbed wire fencing. There's five poles that will stretch over 37". Got all six wires installed with only three places out of thirty that I drilled too close to the edge and the insulator broke. Those can be fixed when everything is planted. Today I'll stretch things out and see how it looks. I also started the ground cover alongside the recently installed grade crossing.

Toot - I have a small cup labeled "Lost & Found" where I put parts into as I clean various sections of the layout (staggered schedule so I don't get overwhelmed). I do about 15' a month over a two year span. there's still three other brake wheels and some brake hoses in the cup. This one was easier than most since it was green - BN. I only have 44 cars in their green scheme.
Ken (D&J) - Good to hear that the open house went well. Hope that you are able to post some videos despite the editor issues. Have a good time on today's ride despite the rain and stay safe. What is "Some Gave All"? Sounds like an event honoring war heroes, besides the obvious of being the title cut of Billy Ray Cyrus's debut album.
Terry - I never used P-Bucket so I am not aware of the rescinding of their ill-advised policy. Does this mean that pictures have been restored to earlier threads on this forum that disappeared?

Everybody have a great day. I am giving the grill a rest today and will be cooking homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs. I guess that I could cook the meatballs on the grill!

Willie

Last edited:

P-Bucket did exactly that Terry..the CEO was gotten rid of and they partially reversed course by offering a limited time offer by reducing the price for image-hosting and 3rd party shareing to something like $39 per year, down from the $400 per year they tried to gouge everybody for last year. Why anybody would trust them after their disgusting and destructive behaviour last year I have no idea. Especially since their website is still slow,incredibly buggy and almost unusable with constant pop-up adds. You’d have to be a glutton for punishment and very gullible to go back to Photo-Bucket.

Good morning. It's sunny and supposed to be 90 this afternoon.

Willie--interesting little critter! Never seen one that young before; surprised you remembered that story about my father-- I cannot remember what had for dinner last evening.

Ken D&J: Hope you have a good ride - hope you have rain gear - the weather looks wet around there.

In other news - still haven't replaced the sprinkler valve. I better try and get to that today. Did manage to repair a water hose to try to restore the "dead looking" areas.
Starting to shuffle "stuff" around in the garage and get rid of a few things. I am determined to at least get a setup where I can run a train in a circle - maybe the patio outside might work?
I have some HO, some Lionel, some O scale, and some G scale - I need to see how wide a board I need for the G scale (bought some larger radius for the Christmas tree).

Never understood the reasoning to use an "off site" storage for the photos? Like I have mentioned before - I am a simpleton on computers. I have even tried to download photos from phone to computer and have failed to do that... seems simple enough, but I do not understand the terminology, and hence my failure. Still e-mail to myself and then save the photo.
I use a whatchamacallit (extra hard drive) for backup.

The SGA ride was not well attended this year. Typically there would be about 3,000 bikes in the ride. Today, there were about 400. Rain the whole ride. I need a new rain suit. This one leaks to much at the neck and after todays ride, I was soaked down to my knees. Not sure what I did different from last Wednesday coming back from Gadsden, but that ride, only my shirt was wet down the front a bit.

Back