Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

TOOT -- This guy is coming pretty close to the MRL SD-45 that you showed a pic of:
Personally, I think that either someone just forgot to shake the rattle can before he painted, or that is a camouflage GN Blue ! It IS NOT the metal texture - it is the paint - IMHO?
1535396621398.png

1535396453674.png

Last edited:
Willie, how long does it take to cut 2 acres?
I spent three and a half hours on it yesterday, with my 54" mower deck on a 27 hp tractor. That's a bit more than normal since much of it was 7"+ due to the wait for the replacement pulley/bearing that disintegrated on me last week. That's the easy part of the yard, the remaining acre or so will take nearly as long since I have many obstacles to mow around, pool, garden, pond, as well as most of it also borders my hayfield (rough vegetation). Normally it takes four hours to do all three acres. For comparison, two acres is 17x as large as your yard.

I did see Deep Purple, but not until the "Perfect Strangers" tour.
By the time of Deep Purple's "Perfect Strangers" album and tour, they had to tone it down a bit due to governmental regulations.

Good Afternoon Everyone....just back from the cabin and checking in. Storms and rain with some parts of Wisconsin with 8+ inches of rain from the storms yesterday.

Chet: Read the post on your switcher running slow. Since I don't what decoder is installed in the unit, but it could be the Max Voltage (V-Max) setting is set too low which causes the locomotive to have limited top speed. For Digitrax decoders that's CV05. Another way to change the Digitrax decoder to increase the speed is to set CV8 to 08 and all settings including the address will be reset to the original factory settings (the address will default back to 030). This may cure the slow operation of the locomotive. (CV8=8 maybe a univeral settings for all brands of decoders).

This info is for Digitrax decoders and each decoder manufacture may have their value settings. Check the decoder's website for the decoder's instruction manual for specific details on the decoder that's installed in your locomotive for changing these CV values.

Louis: Forgot to include in my smoking (meat) instructions to use a pan of water under the roast to keep the roast moist.

Willie: I cut my rail using the Dremel and filled the gaps with a filler and painted to matched the rest of the rails. I can't find the gaps.

Terry: My thoughts are will you and your wife.

Short and sweet and back to my domestic duties.

Greg

###################

Good evening. I've come home to walk and feed the dog, and pick up a grocery order at the store that was ordered yesterday.
My wife has been taken to a room, and will be in the hospital until at least Thursday.

Still processing her into the hospital.
Louis, with the 46" Cub Crappette, it takes a little under an hour to mow our 1 acre yard.[/QUOTE]

Terry, It might take me 10 minutes just to get through the gate if I had a ride-on mower. ;) My beagles would worry me as well. They nearly get run over by the push mower, I don't stop, I slow down and say "move dumb ass beagle!" I love my beagles and they love me, but they are not the brightest dogs I have ever had.

I like the exercise of the push mower and I love the electric power. Never a starting problem in nearly 15 years. I don't work too hard, I take frequent breaks and believe me, I need the exercise.

Down the line I might have no choice, but for now I'll push. I have to better level my yard for a ride-on as well!

It is interesting to see how slow I truly am, thank you :)

Last edited:
Louis: Forgot to include in my smoking (meat) instructions to use a pan of water under the roast to keep the roast moist.

Greg, your recipe for smoked pork roast sounds fantastic. Thank you again.

Water makes sense... I'm thinking to substitute beer for water. Yeah, that's the ticket! I always have plenty of beer left over from the 4th of July. If all else fails I use it to steam crabs.

I think you should post your recipe in the coffee shop... Who wants to hear a great recipe for smoked pork roast?

Good evening gents.
Terry- you & your wife are in my thoughts & prayers. MOH(Type 1- insulin-dependent since college) & I(type 2, as of about 4-5 years ago & on meds) are both diabetic. She gave me a real scare about 3 years ago. She was trying to stretch her insulin further than she should have(I was on LTD & on about a dozen meds) because of the cost of our scripts. She ended up passing out from a ketoacidosis, with a BS somewhere north of 600(that was the limit of the EMS meter). Fortunately, she hit me(& the window blinds) when she crashed. I called the EMS & she ended up with a sizable expenses paid(by us after insurance paid what they decided to cover) in the "castle in the hill" for a few days.

Stopped at the LHS in Rothschild after a medical visit. Picked up a Centerbeam car & timber load. Tom also showed me a couple of sharp looking Atlas WC Centerbeams. I told him that I'd keep those in mind for my next visit. On the way home, we spotted this scene outside the WPS coal plant in Weston.

IMG_2036.JPG

Last edited:
Louis- Beer is also great for that. Up here, our brats get a beer, butter & onions hottub, both before & after grilling. I also put beer in the bottom of the slow cooker(build a rack in the bottom with foil balls or a layer or 2 of forks) when I cook a porkloin(& cover it with kraut)- the alcohol really breaks it down to the point where in just falls apart & the liquid keeps it so moist, it just melts in your mouth.

Nice photo there, Mike, but I have no idea what they are. They all look the same to me after the Geep series.
Sorry to hear about the diabetes. I have lost quite a few relatives over it. If I could be King for a day, I would do away with it as well as cancer.
My wife's younger daughter has had diabetes for just almost 30 years now. Before her "pump" we had a devil of a time keep things in check with her making several trips to emergency due to her not medicating properly.
I cannot wait until "STAR TREK" medical treatment is developed!

Nice photo there, Mike, but I have no idea what they are. They all look the same to me after the Geep series.
They just have different bumps sticking out, some are bigger and have more wheels, make more noise.
I found a slightly later photo of that Green Machine on rrpicturearchives.net, showing a close up of the left side in full sunlight, which helped to make it look not as bad as the modelled one. Of note to you was the rusty outline under the faded paint, was the road name "Frisco".

Sorry to hear about the diabetes. I have lost quite a few relatives over it. If I could be King for a day, I would do away with it as well as cancer.
My wife's younger daughter has had diabetes for just almost 30 years now. Before her "pump" we had a devil of a time keep things in check with her making several trips to emergency due to her not medicating properly.
I cannot wait until "STAR TREK" medical treatment is developed!
Stop & go lights didn't cooperate enough for me to ascertain which series those UP(not to be confused with Yooper) engines were. Snapped a couple photos because we don't usually see Union Pacific north of Adams in Central Wisconsin.

Louis- Beer is also great for that. Up here, our brats get a beer, butter & onions hottub, both before & after grilling. I also put beer in the bottom of the slow cooker(build a rack in the bottom with foil balls or a layer or 2 of forks) when I cook a porkloin(& cover it with kraut)- the alcohol really breaks it down to the point where in just falls apart & the liquid keeps it so moist, it just melts in your mouth.
Mike, from the sound of your food in Wisconsin, I think I would feel right at home :)

My wife first told me to use beer when roasting meat.

Good Morning Everybody!

A day of rest in the forecast here in my house. This every other day thing is frustrating, but it's working. I should stop complaining.

Terry, I know it's a bit early, but I hope and pray this morning finds your wife feeling better.

Good morning gang
74 and muggy, going back into the 90s. So happy they fixed the A/C at work yesterday!

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 74.
My wife has lost 4 pounds of fluid overnight. The bathroom in her room got a workout. She thinks she will be home by Thursday. I'm less optimistic, but the fluid is moving in the proper direction.

Thanks fort the good thoughts, it's appreciated.

Back