Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

There was a train derailment in the Union Pacific Butler Wisconsin yards late last night. 13 cars were derailed and a cause has yet to be determined. The cars were covered hoppers said to be carrying sand. The site is just at the south end of the yard at the over pass above Capitol Drive.

1534874063336.png

-WISN News Photo

This cause one one of the two mian lines of the UP to be closed. No injuries were reported.

Greg

Greg - Interesting photo.

Terry - You are correct. I think Doye should cough up some bucks and give that F unit a paint job. It's really starting to look shabby.

LOL -- Just received this from a friend!
Picked up a hitch-hiker. Seemed like a nice guy.

After a few miles, he asked me if I wasn't afraid that he might be a serial killer.

Told him that the odds of two serial killers being in the same car at the same time was extremely unlikely.

He got off at the next stop.​

LOL -- Just received this from a friend!
Picked up a hitch-hiker. Seemed like a nice guy.​
After a few miles, he asked me if I wasn't afraid that he might be a serial killer.​
Told him that the odds of two serial killers being in the same car at the same time was extremely unlikely.​
He got off at the next stop.​

Sherrel,

That's a great joke! Thanks for the laugh.

There was a train derailment in the Union Pacific Butler Wisconsin yards late last night. 13 cars were derailed and a cause has yet to be determined. The cars were covered hoppers said to be carrying sand. The site is just at the south end of the yard at the over pass above Capitol Drive.

View attachment 29987
-WISN News Photo

This cause one one of the two mian lines of the UP to be closed. No injuries were reported.

Greg

If your neck of the woods got anywhere near the rain that Dane County got last night(some places got 12+ inches), I'm wondering if flooding/soft ground played into the derailment.

Last edited:
Aww - - hit "Post" too quickly. Meant to ask:
Toot - I heard that Australia is having severe drought conditions. You doing okay? How is it affecting your area?
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been involved in the usual medical stuff that goes on at this time of year for some reason. Queensland has been 40% drought declared, 60% was the worst on record about 10 years ago. Being near the coast (where most of the population in Aus live), we haven't been badly impacted yet. New South Wales, the state south of us is 100% with at last count 80 wild fires being dealt with. The long range forecast is for an El Nino event for the summer which will exacerbate the situation if it eventuates. That previous event, we were on heavy water restrictions of 140Ltrs (35 US Gals) per person/day for a long time.

As far as the weather has been locally and up and down the coast, it's been the best weather we've had for the tourist industry, clear, sunny and mild to warm for weeks and weeks.

Back from my physical. The doc thinks I might live another year, and made an appointment for another physical next year.
That's great news Terry!

I'll never forget when my primary care doctor told me to come back in a year and gave me prescriptions with 11 refills. I felt like I hit the lottery! I've since slipped back a bit, now I am back to every 3 months, but that is my fault. I'm determined to get back to those annual visits.

How is your wife feeling?

*ding*ding*ding* We have a winner! That's right Louis, the train was headed right into the Howard Street Tunnel (~200ft behind me). Not sure if that long building in the background is what eventually became part of the Orioles' Camden Yards stadium[?]
Ken I think that building is gone.

It's like I say "better to be lucky than good"

Good morning Everybody!!

I had a rough day and night yesterday. Worked too hard, ate too much and paid the price, but I feel much better today, Thank God.

Don't feel sorry for me, like all of my problems, It's nobody's fault, but mine.

Good morning. Weather says it's 70 and mostly clear. Except for the fog so thick I can't see the woods behind my house... I'm guessing the fog is isolated or scattered. The weather is reported from the airport, which as about 7 miles from here.

Good Morning All. 69° and partly cloudy, still dark. High temperature today will remain in the low 90's, back to 99° tomorrow through Sunday. Cool spell is nice for now. Mowing is on hold right now, as a bearing on a pulley on the mower deck disintegrated on me yesterday. Not happy! On the bright side, the pool was quite refreshing this morning for a pre-dawn dip.
Thanks for the comments on all of the pictures, Garry, Chet and anyone else that I may have missed.
A bit of a milestone was reached yesterday in the train shed. I finished up the connection between the two ends of my upper deck and now have allowances for continuous running, for the first time since the infamous 4' x 8' back in 1983. The main reason for this is because I designed it with only one staging yard on the upper deck, with the intent of sharing it for both northbound and southbound traffic. Today hopefully, I will complete the second track across the bridge. What's left to do? Lots! Finish a lot more scenery, which I have made major progress on this year; finish up the fascia which is about two thirds complete; and finally construct a helix to connect the two decks. The helix may never happen even though I have all of the construction materials for it in storage. No track however. Needless to say, I spent some time running various consists across the connecting bridge to ensure that all was OK. The golden spike moment was celebrated with several bottles of ice-cold brew.

Looks like Louis is still streaking!:eek:
Garry - Nice junkyard scene. I had forgotten that you also had a junkyard scene that Jesse could get some ideas from. I checked my "inspiration" folder in the computer and realized that I had copied a couple of your photos already. I intend to have a "Dawg" in mine also whenever I find that part of the layout again.:rolleyes:
I fully agree with you regarding figures, animals etc. I use them extensively. That home will probably get additional ones in the yard after it gets planted on the layout, a vehicle as well. The Preiser unpainted ones require a bit of time to paint, but depict ordinary (albeit European in some cases) folks that can be used quite well. I have also found that some of the Woodland Scenics sets blend in also. I haven't tried any of the sets from China yet (wehonest.net), but I probably don't really need any more than I already have stashed away.
Sherrel - Is that your surfboard in the background of that picture?

Everybody have a great day. Wake up world!

Good morning everyone. A nice 63 degrees and partly cloudy.

Willie - Nice work on that house! I've got several structure kits waiting on my workbench, but I've been concentrating on scenery lately. Got to get back to that workbench!
Toot - glad the drought is not impacting your area, at least not yet. Hope the El Nino event does not come about.
Terry - great news from your Doc

On this home front, we're still in the middle of a double bathroom remodel, master and guest bathrooms at the same time. And next year a kitchen remodel - if we survive!

Have a good day everyone.

Almost the same here, Terry, except can;t see the hills for the darkness - lol.
Temp high yesterday was 89 .. should be the same today with clear skys .. forgot when the last raindrop was?
Worked several hours cleaning out the RV yesterday - still have a couple hours to go: had a leak in the shower and I cannot find where it was coming from. I think the kids got crazy with the water wand and squirted water where it was not supposed to go. Now I have to buy a tube of silacone and re-glue around the valves that I pulled off the wall. Also have to reglue/nail two trim pieces on one of the slides which were knocked loose (poor workmanship) and then try and install some extensions on the inner rear tires soes to be able to check the pressure without pulling off the wheel covers. If I can get out there in the next 30 minutes - maybe I can rinse it down, outside, before anyone reports me for using an extra few gals of water?

Hope everyone has a good day!

Back from my physical. The doc thinks I might live another year, and made an appointment for another physical next year.
My surgeon must think I've got better chances. He told me he wouldn't need to see me (or rather the part he was using the periscope on/in), for another 3 years.

Good morning ...

Chet ..... Looks like you have a fun project working on the Stewart F9A . NP 7012A should be an inspiration for you.

WIllie ....Thanks for the compliment about my junk yard photos in your inspiration folder. .... By the way, if you are in this region next year and have time, you may wish to see the Santa Fe CF7 operating at Kentucky Railway Museum. They haul passenger cars with it to give train rides to visitors.

Louis .... Nice photo of UP 1943. .... Perhaps you saw my photo of a "Support our Veterans" locomotive in HO scale which was a gift to me.

Sherrel .... You and your wife are beach bums now. It is good you are getting a lot of fun with your RV.

Speaking of Stewart F9A's ...... This is a model I did of 700D which was an F9Am. Originally 700D was an F7A, and it was rebuilt into an F9Am by EMD after it was wrecked in a head-on collision. .... The trailing F3B is a Stewart model I did at the same time.

35970515274_6e908e8f55_b.jpg

35439148610_9df9560277_b.jpg

Almost the same here, Terry, except can;t see the hills for the darkness - lol.
Temp high yesterday was 89 .. should be the same today with clear skys .. forgot when the last raindrop was?
Worked several hours cleaning out the RV yesterday - still have a couple hours to go: had a leak in the shower and I cannot find where it was coming from. I think the kids got crazy with the water wand and squirted water where it was not supposed to go. Now I have to buy a tube of silacone and re-glue around the valves that I pulled off the wall. Also have to reglue/nail two trim pieces on one of the slides which were knocked loose (poor workmanship) and then try and install some extensions on the inner rear tires soes to be able to check the pressure without pulling off the wheel covers. If I can get out there in the next 30 minutes - maybe I can rinse it down, outside, before anyone reports me for using an extra few gals of water?

Hope everyone has a good day!

You going to be able to get all that done before the HOA comes to throw the book at you?

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and less humid in Wisconsin.

MikeInHubCity: At my house in Menomonee Falls, 12 or so miles from the wreck site, we received 5 inches of rain. Not sure what they received in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin were the wreck actually happened.

https://www.wisn.com/article/train-cars-derail-spill-sand-in-wauwatosa/22786105

Good news video clip on the wreck and some train footage of the UP running through the wreck area on the one open main line.

Garry:
Great pair of locomotives in the photograph.

Sherrel: Having fun with the RV life yet?

Toot: It always scares a person when a doctor asks for cash up front.

Off to the barber for a cut.

Greg

########################

Back