Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Chet, here's one for you. 1974 Dart V8 auto AUD$25000 in Brisbane
1534722775772.png

Good evening. After several months, and untold misery, I finally got a couple of hours to work on the layout.
Here, a very tired CN1362 rests between assignments on a section of the layout that has been freshly scenicked.
1362 is a GMD SW1200RS, a Canadian-only road switcher version of the popular SW1200. This particular model has made a trip back to Canada for warranty repairs, and returned about 10 days ago.

CN1362.jpg

Good evening. After several months, and untold misery, I finally got a couple of hours to work on the layout.
Here, a very tired CN1362 rests between assignments on a section of the layout that has been freshly scenicked.
1362 is a GMD SW1200RS, a Canadian-only road switcher version of the popular SW1200. This particular model has made a trip back to Canada for warranty repairs, and returned about 10 days ago.

View attachment 29936
I see a report that CN has reactivated 3 of it's GMD-1's, those unusual looking switchers. Rapido Trains did them a while ago, did you ever get any?

Good morning Everybody!

The streak continues. :)

Its 69, 91% humidity and a light easterly wind coming off the coast bring with it some light fog and overcast skies. There is a bit of a chill in the air here in southeast Baltimore.

I see a report that CN has reactivated 3 of it's GMD-1's, those unusual looking switchers. Rapido Trains did them a while ago, did you ever get any?
I never got any of them. I had another of my financial crisis about the time they were released, and by the time things got better to the point I could afford one, they were gone.

Good morning. Just a brief stop-in to let y'all know I'm alive & kickin.

Been way too busy as of late to actually participate in discussions here, but I do lurk occasionally do see what's going on. Looks like Louis is back here or a more regular basis now, good to see ya!

Finally finished the last of my weathering projects, so I might be able to drop in a little more often. I just added decoders into a pair of P2K GP30s that I got from eBay (one of them was the one I posted about last week in my axle-gear thread). I wanted to have a matching consist of three like-painted GP30s to run elephant-style like the B&O frequently did, so I decided to peruse eBay and sure enough, I found two of them with numbers I didn't already have. Still had to swap out the axles, install decoders, and weather them though. Got everything done except for the side-mounted horns (maybe Karl can help me locate some of those?) Here they are in a spot on my layout that isn't littered with tools and clutter, the new ones are the two closest units; the one I already had is at the rear.

20180819_222552.jpg

I never got any of them. I had another of my financial crisis about the time they were released, and by the time things got better to the point I could afford one, they were gone.
Yes they did, especially MRL's British Columbia SRY ones. I too fancied those to run with my early mistake of the MP15DC in SRY.

A question on Genesis can motors V Athearn RTR 5 pole open commutator type (from the same time e.g. 1st gen Tsunami). Is there enough difference in running characteristics to make that much difference?

Good morning. 74 and humid. No real news from the train shed, but I did find the small stash of HO cars I had purchased a while back with the intent to swap for N scale. That plan backfired since they were mostly cabeese and therefore not in high demand. However, there is also a pair of UP gondolas that will find a new home in my salvage yard scene. I also have an open side auto rack with a load of Chevy Citations. Although the Citation is from a later era than I intend to model, they will be useful as I intend to do what GM should have: crush them and use them for scrap loads. I figure that if I flatten them properly, you'll never know they are not period correct. They are low detail units anyway, so I won't feel bad crushing them for the sake of art. Lol.

Willie - thanks for the pictures. I'm getting some good ideas of how to set up my industries now. I know I will be doing a scrap yard and a freight transfer depot for sure. Still thinking about a feed mill and the grain elevator.

Y'all have a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning gang!

Partly cloudy and 68° out here in Absurdistan this morning. Gosh it feels good to walk outside and not sweat! Spent most of the weekend with the GF working on the house, replacing flooring, picture hole spackling, repainting. Getting rid of the bad Ju-Ju from the Ex.

Terry, nice lil switcher

Ken,
The Geeps look great! On the horns a search through the Walthers catalog shows a few possibilities.

Oh well, time to get to w*rk. the boss just arrived! :rolleyes:;):cool:

A question on Genesis can motors V Athearn RTR 5 pole open commutator type (from the same time e.g. 1st gen Tsunami). Is there enough difference in running characteristics to make that much difference?
The new Genesis motors are more consistent than the RTR motors. The older Genesis motors suffered from reliability and operational problems.

Good Morning Everyone. 75° and clear. Yesterday we reached 99°. Cold front was due in last night but has been delayed by the folks in Colorado, should now arrive in about an hour. Probably not a cold front to many of you, but our highs will be in the low-90's and lows around 70° for a few days. Back to near 100° on Thursday. Couldn't mow yesterday as planned, since it was too wet from the hit and run thunderstorm Saturday evening, so I got hung up doing household chores with my wife. Doing a lot of reorganizing following the recent bathroom remodel. Getting ready to remodel the other one now. It will be different since there will be no tile or major plumbing work, so I will be doing most everything myself. New vanity and toilet, stripping wallpaper and texturing, installing wallboard and new trim and my wife will be the painter, her choice. I'm not allowed to paint indoor stuff.
Productive few hours in the train shed yesterday, I almost finished painting all of the details for the latest build. Planted 16 individual flowers into two flowerpots for the two porches, still have to do ferns for a hanging basket. I also did some more work on the removable bridge across the entryway into the train shed. Glued the cork roadbed for the main line, lined out the passing siding that will run next to it. It's really a double main as it connects passing sidings on both sides, I just added it to provide some versatility to operations. It will also allow me to use the siding on the west end as either an A/D track or an additional staging track if needed. Staging on that side is set up to possibly use as a classification yard with a yard lead on the other end.

Garry - Thanks for the comment regarding the rural grain elevator. We're probably due another trip east in 2019. It used to be more regular when I got complimentary luxury box tickets to the stock car races in Bristol TN, but that's a perk that I gave up with retirement. We see them (wife's sister) every fall when we rent a condo at Gulf Shores AL for a week's vacation, as well as at Christmas here.
Chet - Thanks also for the comment. Waiting for pictures of your neighbors sunbathing taken from the drone. My buddy and wife in Dallas get buzzed all of the time.
Sherrel - Thanks for the comment. Good luck in getting Kate to move. It will probably never happen. Stick close to family out there.
Curt - Glad to read about your SIL. Continue to have a safe time.
Terry - Glad to read that you're able to get back to the layout, it restores sanity. Nice looking switcher.
Ken in MD - Great looking lash-up of locos. Even though they had many, I do not remember ever seeing any GP30's on Santa Fe lines around here. Probably because girls, cars, college and marriage interfered with train watching for me at the time.
Jesse - While I have a scrapyard location, none of it is set up so no pictures from me. However Chet and Greg have both posted pictures of theirs recently which should give you some ideas. In the meantime here's a picture of the propane distributor that I mentioned switching last week. It's a Walther's kit with an additional kit for two add-on propane storage tanks. Propane is normally shipped in 33.000 gallon pressurized tankers measuring 65' long. The one on the left is a Walther's kit, I cannot identify the one on the right in this crappy picture. This is a rough setup but close to the final arrangement. Sorry, this is the best picture of this facility that I have available right now.
08-16-18 009.JPG

Freight transfer depot - I'll try to remember to get a picture of that.
Louis - A special good morning to you today. Thanks for continuing to be with us.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. A little late today 'cause i was finishing up a couple of online orders. Had a horrendous storm move through the area yesterday evening. Confirmed tornado in Aurora, MO, about 30 miles southwest of Springfield. Another confirmed tornado in the little town of Diggins, MO, about 30 miles east of us. We dodged the bullet on this one - only a ton a rain and some high wind here. did not check the rain gauge before leaving for work this morning, but I'll bet it's close to 1 1/2 inches.

Got a little time yesterday to do some scenery and run some trains. getting better at running two trains at the same time. I know if I get the third one going the possibilities of Gomez Addams-style crashes goes way up. Hmmm . . .

Went for a drive Saturday (actually went through Aurora, where the tornado hit yesterday) and saw this in the town of Granby. Thought I'd post it for everyone. Did not know this about that little town:

Granby MO 2.jpg

Coffee is calling and so is my workload. Have a good day everyone.

Aww - - hit "Post" too quickly. Meant to ask:
Toot - I heard that Australia is having severe drought conditions. You doing okay? How is it affecting your area?

Willie - propane distributor....hmmm...I see an opportunity for selling propane and propane accessories there. (I typed that with Hank Hill's voice in my head). I'll see if I can locate the posts you referenced from Chet and Greg. Luckily, I have some real world experience with rail served salvage yards, so I can always use that for inspiration also.

Terry - nice switcher. Glad to hear that you were able to spend some time with the layout, always good for one's mental health.

Curt - glad to hear your SIL is doing better. Sorry for not commenting sooner, must have missed that update.

Terry, pretty sure you could get one from here...The Mothership!

BF27FFB7-E2A3-42B8-AAF9-810A13C4ACAD.jpeg

Back