Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Good evening ..

Curt, Greg, and Chet .... Thanks for the remarks about my FT ABBA.

Chet ... Your NP NCL observation looks great to me. ... The Walthers GN EB observation looks very much like the NP NCL observation, and I wish Walthers sold it in the NP paint scheme. If somebody wished to acquire an undecorated Walthers GN EB observation and paint it in NP colors, they would have a very close model of the NP NCL observation.

Good afternoon.

Greg - The RS-1 is at it's limits in the photo. 11 cars with the caboose. The grades are pretty stiff at the layout. Many of the members have to triple head up the grades. Sometimes they'll use a helper to the summit and then send it back down to the grade. Sort of what goes on just outside with the trains going over Bozeman Pass.

Garry - The observation car will work for me unless something better comes up. With as large a railroad as the Northern Pacific is, until recently, not a lot of locomotives were available. Years ago I had to custom paint my own because there were no accurate NP locos. Here's a photo of the B unit. Looks a bit different.

20171112_155550.jpg Now it's on to the handrails.

I sometimes wonder why I am putting so much time into this project when I have so many other projects sitting on the side lines. It will most likely spend most of its time sitting in hidden staging.

My son just arrived with his wife. It's time for his birthday dinner. When there is a birthday, the person gets their choice of dinner and desert. Looks like rib eye steaks on the grill tonight.

Later.

Chet. ... Happy birthday to your son. Enjoy the dinner. ..... I zoomed in on the B unit photo, and the lettering looks perfect! ... Also, I think an RS1 is for light duty switching and not for hauling big trains over Bozeman Pass. You can use it serving the many nice looking industries on your layout, and it will be the cat’s meow as Sherrel might say. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Garry: I did see your, 'FT ABBA' set earlier but before I could comment on it I had company come by. It's a nice looking set, are all units powered, that would give some brut pulling force alright if they were?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening. It's raining and 40.

Today, I took several locomotives to the club, and set up a relatively long train to run over the layout, and some new track sections, to make sure we don't have any problems at our upcoming open house in 3 weeks. They are still working on installing track, and are hurrying to get the main line on the upper level complete.
Anyway, my train consisted of a trio of U25Cs and 110 40 foot boxcars, plus caboose. I had walked the track prior to pulling out of the yard, and everything looked good.

But...

Did I mention they are working on the track? And somebody put a heavy toolbox across the track in the one spot I couldn't see from where I was. The toolbox didn't move much when I plowed into it at a scale 50mph. The pilot and front coupler of the U-Boat are rather the worse for wear, and some cars got accordioned off the layout onto the concrete floor. After I moved the toolbox back off the layout (where it wasn't supposed to be, and hadn't been there when I walked the layout), I set out the lead unit and the 4 damaged boxcars, and continued on my trip. The remaining two engines struggled a lot getting the train up the 2% grade to High Point, then back to the yard to pick up a replacement unit. Other than that one incident, the remaining trips around the layout went without incident.

So.....only an incidental incident? Resulting in a few incidental dents? But no dents on the toolbox? Will the leaver of the toolbox receive dents to the forehead? Or need dental reconstruction? By accident?

Say Terry: It seems rather odd to me that someone who knew or should have known that you were getting a consist ready to run would leave a tool box on the track?? Might that tool box and a mole have a connection? It's rather hard for me to believe that any body would set a tool box on the track and not remove it, especially one that heavy if not intentionally done.

Good morning. 28°, and cloudy.

View attachment 63815

Ok, stenciled for Conrail, but still has original PRR dirt. It gets better with time.

Say Joe: About the driver configuration of a GG1 like this, I think I have the right designation? Being that the drivers are spaced as far apart as they are, in what must be two pivoting truck frames, three axels per frame, the center axel must have some side to side movement to it so as to allow it to negotiate radiuses that are fairly tight? I can't see how all three drivers can be flange without allowing the center driver to have some side to side movement? Am I anywhere near correct?

Also is that you looking out the window?

Good morning fellers. No trains this weekend. I did however get my Bronco repaired and it's back up and running. I haven't been able to drive it since April of this year. Also found out Friday I may have baby number two on the way. Will find out definitely today as the wife is going to the doctor to officially confirm we have one on the way. I hope everyone has a good day.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning. It's foggy and 41.

Justin--congratulations.

This morning at O dark thirty, I heard a noise on our front porch. I went to the door in time to see a mail truck pull out of our driveway, leaving a couple of packages on the porch. I guess Christmas shipping season has begun. One of the packages was an Epay purchase I made. An "HO scale Atlas Santa Fe diesel" It had no box in the photos of the item, but I could see through the clamshell case it was an SD24 or SD26 in yellowbonnet. It was $50, so I got it. Imagine my surprise when I set it on the track, and the engine spooled up. Yes, it has sound (QSI, but still...). It didn't have the front and rear handrails, which are usually in the box, but other than some things that got knocked loose in shipping, it's essentially new.

Good morning everyone. 38 and partly cloudy here in SW MO. Will get up to 55 today.

Willie - Nice looking downtown area. It's really taking shape.
Garry - that's a great job on restoring the engine house.
Chet - nice clicky-clack sound on those videos.
Eric - best wishes on your medical stuff coming up.

Had a nice restful weekend. Worked outside a lot mowing, raking, and mulching leaves. Made significant progress on landscaping the hill behind the town. Not ready to post any photos yet, but pretty soon - - - Also got the outside walls of MR-V painted. Say, Willie, I really like that Freight Car Red you told me about and that I found at the LHS. It's a great color - wish I had found out about that sooner 'cause i would have used it on a couple of other structures. As it is, I painted the 3-story part of MR-V with it. I'm going to look for other colors in that brand - I think our LHS has quite a few more.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Monday Morning Everyone. It's 48° and mostly cloudy here this morning. Looking forward to another beautiful day in the neighborhood, like yesterday. Got a decent workout yesterday in the garden, removing all of the tomato cages and steel t-post stakes. Ran the mower over the remaining debris and began spreading compost, wood ashes, shredded leaves and grass clippings around prior to working them into the soil. Neighbor has promised a pickup load of goat manure this winter, but I am not waiting, it can go on top. I'll more than likely go up there and wield the shovel anyway, since he's ten years older than I am. He has a trailer made from an old pickup truck bed/frame that he just parks at my garden when full so I can take my time unloading.
Only spent a short time in the train shed, between church, garden work and doing laundry there wasn't much time left. Repainted the roof of the rehab project of a DPM building and added sidewalks on two sides of this corner structure. Had to do the repaint as some of the original came off when I removed the firmly attached dirt dauber nest affixed to the roof. It's known as Seymour Block. It's kind of a neat structure with plenty of character. In between I ballasted about 14" of an industry spur.

Eric - Best wishes with your doctor visits (today?).
Garry - Great looking shot of the ABBA diesel set. Of course I am biased to begin with!:rolleyes:
Chet - I hear you on the CRS. A week later I am still looking for that box full of telephone poles that I have somewhere. I am also looking for some statues that I have somewhere that will reside in a small park in the middle of my business district. Gotta find them as my grandson's gave them to me as a Christmas present in 2015. Belated Happy Birthday to your son.
Curt - "Wiping down fans", man how I hate that chore and it's time to do it right now. How can anyone not like blackberries? I also stopped watching most of the NFL about ten years ago, occasionally continued to watch the Cowboys until about two years ago. I only watch now when I enter the living room because my wife is a "sports fanatic". She gets the NFL ticket or something like that and Sunday afternoons are non-stop channel-hopping. Note that she gets it for free because she threatened to switch satellite providers.

PAUSE - Well this hasn't happened in a while, this website just went offline again. This randomly happens to me about this time of day, more often in the past than recently. All other Internet connections work fine so I know that it isn't me or my ISP.

I'm back!

Terry - Boy that's a real drag about the loco and cars. Regarding the ATSF unit. Theoretically if it had the Warbonnet paint scheme, it was already re-built into an SD26. Surest way to know is the location of the air reservoirs. They were further to the back on the SD26's than the SD24's. They had 80 of them!
Justin - Congratulations to you and your wife.
Johnny - Grab the Polly Scale paints as soon as possible because when they're gone, that's it. Testors bought the brand and discontinued it. I believe that they kept a few of the colors though and are re-branding them as Testors.. Too bad because Polly Scale was a well respected paint line for model railroaders.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning Y'all. 45 and gloomy with light rain.

Chet, Garry, Willie, Curt: Nice photos, and nice work.

Justin: Congratulations.

Terry: Your auction purchase was good fortune, with many possibilities.

David: The GG1, dates back to the steam era. Picture two 4-6-0 locomotives coupled back to back, without tender or cab. The frame was built like a 4-6-0, connected to another 0-6-4 with an integrated casting held together by an articulating pin. The only trucks were the unpowered pony trucks. the rest were drivers, again like a steam locomotive. Since the 4-6-0 on the PRR was designated as the G class, the Articulated 4-6-6-4 locomotive, was designated as Class GG. The difference was the propulsion was AC electric instead of steam, It was still an articulated locomotive, which is why there were no blind drivers. Same applied to the other PRR Motors, B was an 0-6-0, P was a 4-6-4, R was a 4-8-4 etc. After WW2, electric motors followed diesel technology, and were mounted on trucks instead of integral frames. For instance the NH Jets, the Virginian E33s, the PRR E44, or the Amtrak E60, all rode on 6 axel trucks.

I have some photos taken at Wilmington Shop, but they will no longer load in this forum, without modification.

Good morning.

David ... A units are powered and the B units are not. The Tenshodo motor is very powerful and can pull a heavy train

Johnny .. thanks for commenting on the engine house.

Willie .. thanks for your comment on the FT’s. I have several other Santa Fe engines and most are much newer. Exception is an old Tenshodo Santa Fe GP7.

Joe.. we can count on you for interesting comments. I did not know why the GG1 was called that. I suppose the old DD1 has a similar background.

Happy Model Railroading, everybody

Good Morning All....

Clear and cool in Wisconsin this morning. Ran some trips to take care of business and buy some foam core board to mount industrial photos for my Waupaca Industrial Area.

Plan on going and working in the layout room today. Smoke stack lettering and soot the finished one.

Going to remove some unwanted trackage and install a replacement piece of track where a turnout was removed. Wish my Dremel was cordless, maybe the next one.

Some minor cleanup in the room and dust control.

Chet: That NP RS-1 pulling 11 cars up that grade isn't too bad for a light locomotive. Like Johnny I like the rail and wheel sounds on your videos.

Willie: I still watch the NFL, but the salaries are getting to get too extreme in football and other sports and now Roger Goodall is looking for a 60% salary increase, free private jet for life and and 50 million a year salary. Come ON!!!

Eric: Lots of good news today.

That's all for now.

Greg

And then the other shoe dropped--literally.
Last week, I ordered a pair of shoes from Target, 20% off if ordered online and shipped.
The Post Office says they delivered the shoes at the same time they delivered the trains... The shoes are not there...
So, I seem to be getting good and bad luck together, now.

A later good morning. started off at 27 degrees but we are supposed to be in the upper 40's by afternoon.

Terry - That's a bit early for mail delivery. Got your train but you'll be running it barefoot I guess. Concrete floors aren good for trains.

Justin - Congrats on the new addition. Awaiting confirmation. Glad you got the Bronco operational again.

Garry - Thanks for the comments on the B unit. Now comes the part I don't like, the handrails. I have seen Montana Rail Link switchers come over the pass to service local industries west of Livingston over the pass on a regular basis with just a handful of freight cars.

Johnny - Thanks for the comment on the video. Our mowing deck is out in the shed until next May most likely. No more mowing for a while up here.

Willie - CRS can be a pain in the butt sometimes. I have come across the 36" wheels sets on a fairly regular basis while looking for something else and now that I need them, I have no idea of where I saw them. Just have too much crap spread out all over the house. Guess I could consolidate it in one location, but that would make sense and take the fun out of discovering something that I didn't know i had.

Later

Say Joe: About the driver configuration of a GG1 like this, I think I have the right designation? Being that the drivers are spaced as far apart as they are, in what must be two pivoting truck frames, three axels per frame, the center axel must have some side to side movement to it so as to allow it to negotiate radiuses that are fairly tight? I can't see how all three drivers can be flange without allowing the center driver to have some side to side movement? Am I anywhere near correct?
GG1s are AAR officially classified as 2-C+C-2, however the Pennsy classified 4-6-0 steam locomotives as a "G" class. Since this locomotive was technically two 4-6-0 locomotives back to back they came up with the GG designation. I think that indirectly answers your question. Each driver section is no longer than a steam locomotive with six drivers and way shorter than an 0-8-0 so no blind drivers or extra slop should have been necessary on the prototype. Somewhere I have a book on GG1s, that if I can find it... I'll look that up for certain.

Afternoon All,

Did some regular chores, ran to Wally World then completed another pre-Thanksgiving clean job. This time My son and I pulled everything out of the dining room, scrubbed the floor and put everything back. It was pretty easy this year. Last year we had a skunk that was chewing on his tail and bleeding everywhere. He would hide under the china cabinet (he has since passed away).

Terry- Congrats on the new loco. How did the tool box not short out the layout or block?

Justin- Congratulations on the upcoming addition. I have a friend that likes to act like a dumb red neck (he is anything but that) that completely rebuilt a bronco that he left in the jeep soft top style.

Willie- The reason MOH hates blackberries is picking them as a kid in SC and WV and hurting her hands, so occasionally she will buy a container of them for me and on my birthday she makes me a blackberry cobbler.

I hope everyone has a good night.

GG1s are AAR officially classified as 2-C+C-2, however the Pennsy classified 4-6-0 steam locomotives as a "G" class. Since this locomotive was technically two 4-6-0 locomotives back to back they came up with the GG designation. I think that indirectly answers your question. Each driver section is no longer than a steam locomotive with six drivers and way shorter than an 0-8-0 so no blind drivers or extra slop should have been necessary on the prototype. Somewhere I have a book on GG1s, that if I can find it... I'll look that up for certain.

"Horseman": First day as a "Student Fireman" posting the Daylight Hostler at Wilmington, DE Engine house, I had the opportunity to move the 4800 from the Shop lead, and spot it on the service rack for sand. That was almost 50 years ago, and began my love / hate relationship with the worlds most famous electric locomotive. I even ran the 4846, the G1 (unofficial), snow blower, salvaged from the remains of a retired full GG1. I was told the articulation casting broke, and the mechanical department elected to white line the motor, rather than have a new frame cast. The classification was definitely determined by steam era standards, aka the Whyte Classification, although the AAR classification is more appropriate. As I replied to David, The drivers were all flanged. The drivers were all spoked, and the wheels had tires, like steam locomotives. Also, like a steam locomotive, the drivers had to be removed using a drop table, not exactly modern technology.

BTW: That was not me in the portrait of the Dirty GG1. That was George D. Williams, engineer of the Daylight Engine Change crew, at Orangeville, (Baltimore, MD).

Back