Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is well. I had a first for me yesterday. I have never received anything like this from an employer. I received a thank you note from Coke in a mini Coke bottle through the mail yesterday.
afae396d917a0d2178077f095ab0bd6a.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is well. I had a first for me yesterday. I have never received anything like this from an employer. I received a thank you note from Coke in a mini Coke bottle through the mail yesterday.
afae396d917a0d2178077f095ab0bd6a.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

I'm not to clear on this. I take it you work for Coke? and was the message in a bottle of Coke or in an empty bottle?

Just got back from the train show in Winchester.
I was kinda lost at first. There was a sign out on the edge of the street in front of the Moose Lodge, "Train Show".
I parked and went into the building. No signs indicating where in the building or nobody in the foyer. I wandered into one large room that was the bar. No trains there. Must be the other big room. Nope, no trains in the dining room either. Hmmmm, Then I happened to see through a small window on a swinging door at the end of the hallway, a stairway. Still no signs pointing anywhere or saying anything about trains. I went through the doors and up the stairs and found the train show. Paid $5 and wandered around the gymnasium size room. Mostly Athearn blue box stuff and built building kits. Some snap track and turnouts, some O scale stuff, more Tyco freight cars, then my eye caught a grass green box near the back of a table that was covered with more 1980s era freight cars. Could it be,,,,,, yes, an Overland chassis, C40-8 for $60. No questions, just paid for it and moved on.
Stopped in at the Winchester Model Railroad Club. Saw a member from my club in there watching trains. Kinda crowded so I could only get a few feet in from the door. Watched trains and shootin the breeze with the other guy for about 15 minutes then left.
Went on up to Mainline Hobbies in Summit, PA. Found a couple SD40-2s. One was BLI with sound and the other was InterMountain with sound. Decisions, decisions. So I bought them both. Found some speakers with boxes, a couple sprung freight trucks, a replacement end of train flasher and some other electronic items I needed.

Justin: that was a very nice gesture from your employer.

Garry: The State Govt law changes came about because of Fed Govt changes and because clubs like ours that own property/assets and do fund raisers (shows, buy&sells) and pay taxes on any profits, we then come under the heading of any other sort of club that makes money for itself, therefore the State does get to meddle with regulations.

Willie: Not too sure what hoops will have to be jumped through to withdraw from the Association. Sure there will be some process. I did eventually receive this email from an unrecognised source, I was warned of, announcing the suspension of my club's treasurer. Has no other identification of who wrote it apart from the unknown address (would have been deleted unread if I hadn't been made aware of it). Something in that piqued my curiosity more than the notice. It had mentioned the manner in which our treasurer had voted on a certain motion at a meeting a few weeks ago. I will be checking at this next meeting as to whether these sorts of facts get officially reported to the Fed Com, because otherwise the info would only be known to someone actually attending the meeting where that vote of his was cast by show of hands. That would suggest therefore that the writer of this suspicious email might have been present when his vote was cast, which we might conclude from that we have a mole in our club. Time, maybe, to engage the services of Daniel Craig??

Good afternoon. Started out snowing this morning but then the sun came out and it was a beautiful day with temps in the mid 40's.

Justin
- That was nice to see that your company recognized your service.

Ken D&J - Sounds like you had an interesting afternoon.

Eric - Keep up posted on your situation. Maybe it's to take the trac out?

Joe - You must be on a mission to find the dirtiest Pennsy locomotives that you can. Probably isn't too hard.

Greg
- Isn't Obamacare wonderful.

Got some work done on the trains. Mounted a Kadee coupler on the observation car. Couldn't find the 36" wheels I know I have, but I was licky that it would accept replacement wheels. 33's in now. Made a few laps arounf the layout to see if there were any problems and lucked out. Ran smooth as silk.

[video=youtube;eFeR_NHvs4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFeR_NHvs4c&feature=youtu.be[/video]

After the video, I started on the B unit, putting on a winterization hatch and steam generator details and repainted the dark green, covering up the silver on the grill. The next thing is to add the decals and hand rails.

The roads are clear so I guess I'll head over to Livingston tonight and run at the club for a while.

Later

Good afternoon Track Gang,

Hi Flo, Francine, What's going on down here at Jeffreys' Dinner? Oh, today is Vetrans Day In Canada. Well, again, 'Our Patriotic Vets deserve our complete Appreciation and Gratitude for their Service to Our Great Nation! Our Canadian friends and Vets also deserve Our Repect and Gratitude also!
I'll just have some coffee for now, thanks.

59°F Wells rd Station | Report
2:04 PM PST on November 11, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
69°F | 44°F
59°F - Feels like 59°, it's Sunny out but earlier at around 7:30Am my cell phone said it was supposed
to be very Foggy a there was 100% Humidity but I sure didn't see any fog?
Wind is from the South 4 mph with Gusts to 7 mph. I haven't seen or felt that either when I was outside earlier.

Today is forecast to be Cooler than yesterday.

Nothing much new to report on my end except I'm still unable to post an image from my cell phone to the forum here and I would seem it should be an easy task especially from Flicker. I'll have to play around with it a bit more. I did realize that I hadn't logged in from my smart cell phone and did so, but used the same password as I use for the computer and that may have caused an issue as I could get anything to post and I was working with an image that was 800 x 600 which maybe too large none the less?

That's about it here other than washing I need to do. Oh I think the power steering unit on my car is going out as I have to keep adding fluid even though I've added some of the stop leak stuff. It seems there i always something to do you really don't want to mess with. Such is life!

I needle old Sherrel about trying to get a bit of a layout going but as he has mentioned before, between his grand kids, wife and life in general his time is rather limited. And I'll have to admit that I haven't been any ball of energy about working on mine either.

Say Sherrel: What ever happened about your son Steeve's Jousting gear for his horse that was stolen?

Good Evening All,

Waiting to watch the ND game. Those that have lived in FL know that we are getting ready to start our second 6 month season (hurricane and non-hurricane) in a couple of weeks (12/01). I almost needed a jacket last night...almost.

Chet- Very nice passenger cars and video. From what my daughter was told, the kid thought it was funny to get hooked up. It was probably good practice for his future.

Toot- The whole government thing is out of control.

Sherrel- Remember "All locomotives are equal but some locomotives are more equal". Paraphrased from George Orwell.

Eric- I hope you get out of there on schedule.

Joe- Another great photo.

Garry- I have a lot of weathering powder, especially black.

Justin- Very cool.

VA Ken- Sounds like a great train day.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Toot- The whole government thing is out of control.

It's not the State Govt thing that's the real problem, they are actually doing us a favor, by insisting we be a stand alone entity, within our state. The problem is the AMRA committee insisting we keep their constitution in force, totally ignoring the consequences to our club and AMRA having clubs to be an organisation of. It should be relatively simple, they are making it not, and the suspicions as to why are growing.

It's not the State Govt thing that's the real problem, they are actually doing us a favor, by insisting we be a stand alone entity, within our state. The problem is the AMRA committee insisting we keep their constitution in force, totally ignoring the consequences to our club and AMRA having clubs to be an organisation of. It should be relatively simple, they are making it not, and the suspicions as to why are growing.
It should be a very simple thing:
"This is the law. We are going to comply with the law. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact the government about changing the law."

It should be a very simple thing:
"This is the law. We are going to comply with the law. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact the government about changing the law."

And very good luck with THAT one, eh!. In my clubs' case we are already preparing to Secede from the Union, if the Fed Com continues it's stubbornness.

Good Morning All. 61° and cloudy this wonderful Sunday morning. Winds have calmed down after being consistently between 22 mph and 26 mph yesterday, I guess that you could call that "blustery". A bit too windy to cook that salmon on the grill last night, so I ended up broiling it in the oven. A healthy meal for a change!:eek: Broiled wild-caught Alaskan Salmon, brown rice and strawberry/blackberry fruit side. Back to leftover chicken and dumplings tonight. Outdoor activity was limited yesterday as I did some indoor home maintenance, disassembled the leaking kitchen sink drain, reapplied plumbers putty and put it back together again. Working under the kitchen sink is not as easy as it used to be...cannot imagine why? Installed a new detachable shower head fixture in the master bathroom because the 25 year old plastic holder had split and wouldn't hold the shower head steady any more. It would have been only a matter of time before it broke completely.
Out in the train shed, I added scuppers and downspouts to several buildings, some kit supplied (Walther's kits) and some homemade (for DPM kits). I also added many roof details from the parts box and homemade ones, to the same structures, vent pipes, exhaust ventilators and roof hatches. Began to rehab a DPM structure that resided on the old layout and has remained unused for the last six years. Step one was to remove the two dirt dauber nests that were placed there years ago in the non-varmint proof trainroom. It's soon going to fill one of the blank spots pictured in the business district that I posted the other day.

Greg - Sounds like you have your work cut out for you (pun intended) with the lettering for the smokestack. Don't lose any letters!
Justin - That's a pretty neat way to recognize your service to our country. If I drank soft drinks, that would steer me to Coca-Cola products as I am always supportive of businesses that support and recognize our troops and veterans.
Ken (D&J) - Persistence paid off at the show. It seems that you're beating Santa to the holiday though.
Chet - I'd help you with the 36" wheels, but I only have 4 axles left. That is a nice looking train.
Curt -
From what my daughter was told, the kid thought it was funny to get hooked up. It was probably good practice for his future.
And who says that schools don't teach kids anything anymore!

It will be interesting to hear about the fan reaction and participation in the "Boycott NFL" protest today in honor of Veterans Day. I won't see it since I don't watch the games any more for many more reasons. I was a Dallas Cowboy fan and they all stand for the national anthem.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. 28°, and cloudy.

PRR_GG1_4870_Orangeville_1976 (002).jpg

Ok, stenciled for Conrail, but still has original PRR dirt. It gets better with time.

Eric - Keep up posted on your situation. Maybe it's to take the trac out?

Nah. It doesn't take a Dr. to remove the trach. I can easily take out with zero pain or complication.

I also know how to remove the feeding tube but since it requires deflating an air bladder on the inside, I'll leave that one to a professional.
E

Good morning, everybody !

Chet .... I watched your video of the NCL.... It looks fantastic already. The custom painted observation looks very good disregarding it is a Pennsy observation in NP colors.

Ken D&J .... I like your video a lot also. Nice locomotive !

Joe ... Of course, any GG! is impressive, They looked better in original PRR stripes however.

Here is a locomotive I placed on the layout for this photo..... I have owned it for well over 50 years. ... Our family traveled by train the 1950's, and Santa Fe was one of the railroads we rode on. By then, Santa Fe had converted FT's to freight service, and we rode behind F3's and F7's while on the Santa Fe. Nevertheless, I liked the look of Tenshodo Santa Fe FT's at the time. I was a teenager, and I worked many long hours for months and months lawn mowing, doing yard work, and odd jobs to save up enough money to buy the FT ABBA along with a string of Tenshodo "shorty" Santa Fe passenger cars.

The FT's will still run (DC of course), and they are in good condition. I still have the passenger cars. I keep it on display on shelves over my workbench with other old model trains. Its my model railroad museum.

38294156276_fee7c6ddda_k.jpg

Good morning. 27 degrees to start off the day with sunny skies.

Willie -
I know I have some 36 inch wheels. It's just a matter of finding them. I have seen them numerous times while hunting for parts, but have no Idea where I saw them. CRS maybe.

Joe - I know that they did wash the GG-1's. As you know I am a fan of electrics and while hunting around on YouTube, I did see them getting washed before going into service. It was an older video, so this one probably hasn't been washed in decades. Nice photo.

Curt - I hope that they throw the book at that kid. Bet he didn't think it was when he was taken to the station. The start of a great career.

Justin
- Sent you a PM.

Ken D&J - Like the NS locomotive. I enjoy your videos because of the variety of power you have. Modeling the transition era, I can't see picking any modern equipment up, but love watching it. The club I go to in Livingston is the home of Montana Rail Link with BNSF also running on the old Northern Pacific right of way. There's so much action going on at the yard there and such a variety of power running through there. I have seen some NS and CSX power pass through along with just about any other railroad. Bozeman Pass is a great place to watch trains as there are plenty of places to take photos and the trains are moving slowly for good pictures.

Garry - Interesting photo. Those are sure some oldies. I know the observation car is not correct, because I have seen and ridden in them, but nobody makes a correct car unless you look at brass. $$$$$. Got started on the B unit. Added the winterization hatch and the steam generator and painted the upper part of the unit.

20171112_083748.jpg Now it's time to put on the decals and hand rails.

I did get over to the club last night and we had a lot of trains running. This is about the limit the RS-1 can handle on the grades thay have at the club.

20171111_194105.jpg

Two more races left in the NASCAR season. After the season is over I'll have more time for trains.

One more video of my attempt at a North Coast Limited.

[video=youtube;5I49Z8koXk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I49Z8koXk8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Later

Good Morning All....

Packer Game Day so maybe some train work later after the game.

Willie:
I cut out the letters for "SAXEVILLE" on Friday which is my small interchange with industrial flats along the back along the wall. On Saturday, I installed the letters using the brick mortar lines as a guide. Still hard to aline perfectly. Dulkote and then soot tomorrow.

Second stack tomorrow lettered for the Waupaca industrial area. All my layout points of interest are named after towns or areas in Wisconsin. Long story about where the name Saxeville came from for this small town...Google it for fun.

Garry: Nice Santa Fe units. Well preserved. My 1950's Lionel diesel was the Santa Fe locomotive. Brings back memories.

This morning, I set up a new TV in the living room for watching football. Normally no TV in this room, but where the fireplace is located. Amazing how much improved flat screen televisions get every new product year. Easy to set up, excellent audio and video and light weight.

On to the Packers....!

That's all for now.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Did some pre-Thanksgiving chores including painting a wall and wiping down pictures and fans (as directed by MOH). The grand kids came over for several hours while their parents worked. We had them do a Christmas craft project and yesterday they made cookies with MOH that they picked out of a cookie cookbook.

VA Ken- Nice looking loco.

Willie- Yummy blackberries. I'm the only one that likes them here:confused:. I quit watching the NFL several years ago because of how they conduct themselves.

Joe- Nice photo. Is that you grinning in the picture?:rolleyes:

Garry- Very nice Santa Fe FT ABBA set.

Chet- Great pics and video.

I hope everyone has a good night.

When down to the train room after the Packer win and the lettering on my "SAXEVILLE" stack looked slightly leaning. Then I realized that the stack has a tamper to the sides so the letters are straight, but an optical illusion makes the letters look like they're leaning.

I'll not have the letters face direct towards any viewers when positioning the stack on the layout. Hopefully, adding soot will also help.

Tomorrow, "WAUPACA" in larger letters on the other stack. Dullkoted this stack and let dry over night.

Chet: Great video on the passenger train. That Pacific Northern RS-1 is working hard up that grade. How many cars is she pulling?

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back