Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

I don't have the tools for cutting the tile or I would have done it myself. I could probably rent them but I have a friend who does this for a living, with all of the tools who is going to do this as a side job.

If he's using a scoring tool instead of a wet-saw, he'll be dam quick.
Best to have a helper to keep the mortar mix going.
What size tiles? Last I laid was 14" sq.
I suppose you know, or if you don't you do now, not to walk on those tiles after they have just been layed/laid for about 24 hours. How about grouting?
Depending on your tiles, you may also have to soak them in water before putting down lest they suck moisture out of the mortar and will come loose later.
Also think about sealing the grout after that's done.

I'd like to see some pics.
Wish I had some pics of some of the stuff I've done.
E.

The tiles are all different sizes Eric. The kitchen backsplash is the kind that comes on a mat and has random colors. In the bathroo, the tub surround will be subway tiles and the floor is a 12x12. The foyer is going to be 12x24 tiles. He'll most likely need a wet saw for the floor tiles.

Howdy ..

Been a bit bust with little time for computers.

Karl ... Thanks for commenting. Good to hear about the "drag race" ..

Eric .... I forget where you are in GA. Did you say north of Atlanta like Dalton or one of those places ?

Eric .... I forget where you are in GA. Did you say north of Atlanta like Dalton or one of those places ?

I'm in Acworth. About 15 miles outside Atl. right off I-75 to the north west.
The exit is walking distance for me.
Exit 278 Glade Road.
If you are blowing threw here, stop by. Have a look.... and a beer or a dozen.
E.

Good evening. It's partly cloudy, and 91.

I'm in the market for a new doctor. My current one is the one that misdiagnosed my wife's stroke as sciatica. He has also insisted I suffer from hypertension, in spite of the fact my blood pressure has been completely normal at every office visit. He also insists my cholesterol is way too high, in spite of the fact it is 176. He has prescribed several different blood pressure and cholesterol medications for me to take, of which I have taken exactly zero. The last straw is when he prescribed diabetes medication for me, the same diabetes medicine that seriously damaged my wife's kidneys, in spite of the fact I am not, nor have I ever been, diabetic. If anything, it's the opposite. My normal fasting blood sugar is in the low 80s, normal is up to 120. Obviously, I haven't taken any of that, either.

On the train front, I'm waiting for a body shell for a Genesis F3B, a Bowser F3A, and a Walthers SD9.

Good evening gents!

I got to see SWMBO tonight as soon as I walked out of w*rk. Seems her car overheated, puked coolant everywhere, and she got it towed to my shop. So she gets to drive me to work tomorrow, then take my car to work. Hopefully I can drive her lil gobuggy home tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Terry, your Doctor sounds like a duck.jpg, I'd stay away!

And for you cat owners (Of which I am one)

19199_538544556166924_2092267800_n.jpg

The strangest things make me giggle!:rolleyes::D

Funny Karl you should feature a kitty in the poop-box.
I was worried about the feral cat I've been taming the last few months.
Sure enough, he was right here at my front door when my bud dropped me off Friday evening.

I did run some trains today. Then took a nap. Ran some more trains and took another nap.
I'd take another nap but then I'd be up around 2am.

Note to self: don't take vacation with a hipster-kid less than half your age again.

Hey Guys, good to see familiar faces still here. Summer is going fast, but I have no control over that so no worries. Hope your trains are steady rolling. I got another 10+ year old kato dash-9 in stunning condition. It's a bnsf warbonnet. And I may snag a deal for another large haul of used atlas turnouts. There are no turnouts on my layout yet....just enjoy collecting gobs of them for some reason.

600bnsf_zps0kapnyjj.jpg

katodash9_zpsl2hrfh6g.jpg

It night time 9:50 Pm here in Calif fellow track workers,

It was fairly warm today but not too bad but bad enough.

RR'ing

Last night I did manage to get the newest section of track hooked up electrically by installing another Atlas Connector on the edge of the layout and hooking it up to the buss lines and then routing a wire to each of the rails. I was working on the upper line where it makes a curve toward the back wall. It's about chest height and about 19" away so it wasn't to hard to reach but I realized that soldering the connecting wire to the back rail would be easier if I had a mirror on an handle
to be able to check to see if the rail had been scrubbed clean enough using a scratch brush if I could have viewed it first. Everything went ok fortunately as it has in the past but I did get a nice mirror from the NAPA store for just $6.15 and it has a large rectangluar mirror for increased viewing that should come in handy as I'll have many more connections like it to make.

Then I figured I'd test run some trains through the area as this was another 3' section added on with out using any rail joiners as it's additional block section but there was something rather odd about this area. This section was added onto a Left hand curve and the rail joints/gaps were staggered which is good but this location was also an area where I had to use a 4"x5" piece of sound board to fill in a gap between the other sound board sub road bed on either side. For some unknown reason the rail actually had a dip to it of only maybe a 1/32" inch but that was enough to stall a 2-6-0 trying to cross it so I had to loosen up the screws holding it down and in one case I had layed one tie strip section partially over the head of a screw so I had to clip the tie a little shorter to be able to back the screw out so I could raise the sound board up and found if I used a piece of thick tarrpaper scrap I had from dong the roofing on the house it seemed to raise it up enough that when I screwed everything down the loco ran back and forth through with no stalling or getting stuck.

Then I found that the lead truck on the 2-6-0 was derailing and when I checked the gauge it was too narrow so I hhad to use a wheel puller to spread them apart but maybe a bit too much as it still seemed to be having problems negotiating some of the curved turnouts I made so I just set it aside for now. That the first MDC Loco kit I purchased about 39 years ago and it still runs fairly good.

Good evening. It's partly cloudy, and 91.

I'm in the market for a new doctor. My current one is the one that misdiagnosed my wife's stroke as sciatica. He has also insisted I suffer from hypertension, in spite of the fact my blood pressure has been completely normal at every office visit. He also insists my cholesterol is way too high, in spite of the fact it is 176. He has prescribed several different blood pressure and cholesterol medications for me to take, of which I have taken exactly zero. The last straw is when he prescribed diabetes medication for me, the same diabetes medicine that seriously damaged my wife's kidneys, in spite of the fact I am not, nor have I ever been, diabetic. If anything, it's the opposite. My normal fasting blood sugar is in the low 80s, normal is up to 120. Obviously, I haven't taken any of that, either.

On the train front, I'm waiting for a body shell for a Genesis F3B, a Bowser F3A, and a Walthers SD9.

Terry, I'm definitely inclined to agree with Karl below. Besides I read all too often where Dr. Mercola and others are coming out and stating that Diabetes is a myth and all the hype about it is just that! It seems too much of our food is loaded with processed sugar, High Fructose, Corn Suryp etc. plus imitation margarine which are all bad for out systems. Also stay away from all the diet stuff! Real butter, Clover Honey and cinnamon are very good for everyone. BTW, Honey is all natural like other fruits and will not affect your blood sugar.

Good evening gents!

I got to see SWMBO tonight as soon as I walked out of w*rk. Seems her car overheated, puked coolant everywhere, and she got it towed to my shop. So she gets to drive me to work tomorrow, then take my car to work. Hopefully I can drive her lil gobuggy home tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Terry, your Doctor sounds like a View attachment 51066, I'd stay away!

Funny Karl you should feature a kitty in the poop-box.
I was worried about the feral cat I've been taming the last few months.
Sure enough, he was right here at my front door when my bud dropped me off Friday evening.

I did run some trains today. Then took a nap. Ran some more trains and took another nap.
I'd take another nap but then I'd be up around 2am.

Note to self: don't take vacation with a hipster-kid less than half your age again.

Eric, Sounds like your cat knows when it's fond a good home.

Also, I not sure if you met some 25 year old babe on the beach or it's your friend you went down there with that drained you of all your energy?

Dam this GA weather! Not quite 0900 hours and humidity already almost 90%.
Highs in to the mid and upper 90s for the next 2 weeks - so the weather-guessers say.

Eric, High Humidity is not pleasant at all! I can remember when I was in Mass taking care of my late Aunt's Estate it was about 85* and 100% Humidity. It was liking walking through a mist but sticky!

Good morning. I see Terry has got the coffee going again. I think a nice sweet roll would go good with the coffee. Starting off at 55 degrees this morning. It has bee very pleasant the for the past few days with highs in the mid to upper 70's with evening showers to cool things off at the end of the day and enough rain to keep me from dragging hoses all over the lawn to try to keep thing green.

Terry - the mike has been running well. I got a chance to run it for a while Sunday and am getting the hang of it. It does respond a bit differently to the throttle than other DCC locomotives I have, but is a good looking locomotive. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the Southern marking off so I can reletter it for my railroad. This project will be some time down the road as my work bench is piles high with tools at the moment for our remodeling projects.

In the mysterious and nearly unknown small town where I live, there is large industrial plant which recently changed ownership from Rolls Royce to Siemens. Drove past there this morning to see they've built a brand new rail siding and are stock piling all kinds of materials, parts and supplies. Going to sneak back down there with my camera soon. I have to be careful since the security guards have orders to put the kibosh on shutter bugs. That area with the buildings, double tracks, turnouts and sidings is very model-genic.

Good morning, we are starting with 70 today and heading up to near 80. Currently overcast but I think we will see some sun today.

NOT MUCH excitement in our lives, putzing away at the layout and keeping up with the lawn.

Good morning .......

Karl ..... Is that duck a refuge from somebody's model railroad duck-under ?

Eric ..... I have been through Atlanta in the past. We have family members in AL and NC. if we are driving to both. Atlanta would be on one of the legs of the triangle. Oldest daughter did live there a while, but nopw she and he family are in Grand Rapids, MI. ...... Actually, I was thinking of a model train guy in northern GA. He's been sort of a hermit, too, since his wife died suddenly a few years ago. I think he's in mid 50's. Seemed like he might live close to you, but now I think he is closer to Chattanooga.

Terry .... I was looking in the coffee shop prior to leaving to church Sunday morning. I think you posted something about a Burlington F3 on Ebay. I don't see the post now, but thanks for thinking of me. .... Iwas bisy Sunday and yesterday.

Railfan Mike ... I Like the BNSF warbonnet locomotive photo. Have fun railfanning at the plant in your town.

LASM .... Not having excitement is how it should be.

Chet .... Glad the 2-8-2 is a good one for you.

David .... I'll look at your latest PM. Always glad when you contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fellow RR rail layers & spike drivers,
Hi Francine & Flo, how is everything down here at Jeffreys' dinner? It's sure good that you ladies manage to keep this place going against all odds. Your both dedicated alright and it's nice this place is in an old rail coach so it can be moved from vacant siding to siding as the need arises. The only draw back is keeping the portable generator going for electricty and moving the propane tanks too but maybe fairly soon this over grown siding will become a more or less permanent spot? I guess we should all chip in for a bit of gas money for the generator too along with tips. Maybe a $2.00 tip could be split so a $1.00 goes for gas money and a buck to the waitress?

I think I'd like a cold Turkey sandwich with Romain letuce and English Cucumber sliced the long way on some multi-grain bread if you would and a cold drink, Ice water would be great too! Here's my $2.00 bucks in advance for the tip. Now Francine, that doesn't mean you can sluff off just cause your getting the tip early!

The weather seems to be on the cooler side, lets see what WW has to say?
Clear & Sunny but earlier there were some high Circus type clouds, it's 94.3 °F - Feels Like 92 °F;

Winds are from West at 9.9

Humidity is, per my reading indoors, 31.5 and the Barometer is at 28 mghg

In the mysterious and nearly unknown small town where I live, there is large industrial plant which recently changed ownership from Rolls Royce to Siemens. Drove past there this morning to see they've built a brand new rail siding and are stock piling all kinds of materials, parts and supplies. Going to sneak back down there with my camera soon. I have to be careful since the security guards have orders to put the kibosh on shutter bugs. That area with the buildings, double tracks, turnouts and sidings is very model-genic.

Good to see you David..!

Hi Railfan, I'm not sure if your referring to me or LASM David?
As far as your pictures at the location, if you can and have a camera that has a telephoto lens on it or you can add one to it if you have one, and can take the pics from some distance that might work out best so as not to be so noticeable. That of course depends on the surroundings. Good luck, just be cautious and stay safe!

Good morning .......

Karl ..... Is that duck a refuge from somebody's model railroad duck-under ?

David .... I'll look at your latest PM. Always glad when you contact me.

I think Karls' Duck is one that frogot to duck-under like the Dr. Karl is refering too and rather a Daffy Duck!!

Thanks Garry, always good talking with you too!

Garry, I had posted a link to a new Bowser CB&Q F3A with a Loksound sound decoder installed for $80. My wife saw it while I had it up copying the link, and decided she wanted it. It, and a matching B unit shell, should be here tomorrow...

Hello everybody.

Terry ... I appreciate your thinking of me. I have a 4-unit set of those F3's... I added grab irons to them. .. Mine are DCC but not with sound. B-units are not powered.

F3ph4134A.jpg

F3ph4132D.jpg

Back