Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, nice looking photos everyone....
Willie - LEO - I had misplaced his name? WOW, what a feast that sounds like - Spousal Unit and I had a rack of ribs last evening - and will have the leftovers tonight. Your close up trackwork looks really good, and the Oakleaf building is a great build!
JOHNNY -- Nice job on NIL's store - really looks good!
DAVE - You post some neat "old time" photos .. the off centered headlights on the locos have always looked strange to me for some reason?
Garry - Sad to hear the news regarding Shelley's mom.

Spent most of the day "sorting stuff" in the garage trying to get everything put back in place for more efficient work later on PLUS worked on a Turtle Pen for the G-Son's home. His "dollar sized" land turtle has grown to almost 9 inches and needs a pen so he can be left outside during the daytime plus a house to crawl into.

Today, have to take the CRV to the shop for getting the two package all hooked up.
It's getting warmer here - supposed to be clear and 85 today with a UV of 9.

Just coffee to go, FLO -- gotta get moving!

Good morning ....

Willie, Johnny, Boris, and Sherrel ..... Thanks for the thoughts and prayers regarding my MIL. She fell at about midnight last night in the long term care facility. Bumped her head. lacerations. Another trip to hospital. Injuries not serious fortunately.

Willie. your track and ballast look great.

Dave ..... Nice work on the stock car. I like the historic photo.

Johnny .... The store looks great.

Good afternoon all.
I actually got down the basement last night! Between loads of laundry I managed to assemble a Bowser WM cement hopper. I'm feeling pretty accomplished!:)

Chet, I'm interested about those crossing signals, they look good, let us know how they work!

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Supposed to have a "cold" front going through which means wind, drizzle and hotter temps tomorrow. Earlier this month I ordered the Funaro F22 Resin 2 car kit for a project and got a email yesterday the cost was refunded because the seller couldn't find the kit in his warehouse:(. No train club tomorrow since the club AC is broken and the temp is supposed to be close to 90.

Garry- Sorry to hear about your MIL. I continue to say prayers for her.

Dave- Those will be nice looking cars.

Chet- I hope the signals work for you.

Beady- Sorry to hear about your Big Boy.

Greg- Nice looking rock face.

Willie- Nice picture of the double mainline.

Johnny- Nice looking grocery.

Joe- Our evergreen started from a table top evergreen that was a Christmas decoration.

20190426_104324.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning all,

Rainy Saturday here. Daughters softball game was cancelled, so nothing happening here till Church, and dinner out with the family. Be a good day to slip down to the basement, and run some trains.

Have a Great day all!

Good morning. It's clear and 48.
t's going to be a busy day here today. We are supposed to go visit friends who are currently in the area, and I have to go to the local Big Box home improvement place to get a new pole for our mailbox, after our houseguest mowed it down last night turning her truck into our driveway. The same driveway that we get box-trucks full of supplies...

Good Morning All. 57° and partly cloudy, warmer and windier today than the last two days, maybe hitting 85°. Resumed mowing yesterday, but just a small area (maybe a quarter acre) of back yard between the house and train shed. Today I'll get to a lot more as the breeze right now will dry the dew by 0900. I may also get some more tomato plants set in the garden, the ongoing rain has caused me to be at least two weeks late, although I did get some in back in late March.

Thanks to all for the comments and likes for yesterday's post; Jerome, Johnny, Joe, Sherrel, Patrick, Dave, Mike, Garry, Phil, Curt, Justin, Tom, and anyone else that I may have missed.

I did continue with the peninsula project yesterday and I am making fantastic (for me) progress. I got all of the ballasting on the RH spurs completed and painted a lot of ground as well as a parking/loading area.
Here's an overall progress shot.
04-27-19 003.JPG

Industries on the right are keepers, the LH side is still tentative.
Here's a closeup of the "alley" between the two structures.
04-27-19 005.JPG

Industry on the right is a Walther's kit, "Central Beverage Supply" that I have re-christened as "City Wide Beverage Supply" The large blue structure is an as yet unidentified distribution center made from PikeStuff wall components.
Here's a view from the back.
04-27-19 006.JPG

The third structure that will most likely remain, is a City Classic kit called "Smallman Street Warehouse". I haven't decided what to do with the remaining space and the spur there, which will be replaced with track that hasn't been yanked from the old layout.
In the overall shot, you may be able to see a short spur between the beverage distributor and the grain elevator in the distance. It is much more visible in yesterday's post. I plan to put a small fertilizer distributor there. To the left there are two tankers for a possible fuel distributor. Still have lots of room that will remain blank for a while until I decide what to do there.

Johnny - Yes it is nice to have that much space, but it is taking a while to add scenery to it all. Besides this peninsula that I am currently working on, I have four 2' x 16' areas left to go, as well as numerous smaller parcels. While I could have built a bigger train shed, I carefully considered how much I could maintain as time goes by. I have seen huge layouts that the owner never had the time to add scenery to, even though they wanted to. One gentleman who I regularly saw on layout tours had nearly 1000 sq ft, and a closet with hundreds of structure kits and thousands of freight cars. He never got past the plywood stage and died about twenty years after I first saw his layout. Unfortunately I didn't know about the estate sale until it was too late.
You are doing a remarkable job with yours.
Joe - Thank you. I appreciate that comment regarding track work coming from a former railroader.
Dave - Great story about the tree. I'm glad to see that the current lack of layout space isn't holding you back from modeling.
Mike -
Willie.....Awesome looking curve! What is the radius you’re running?
On the actual peninsula loop, the outer track has a 32" radius and the inner siding is 29.75". I honestly don't remember the radius of the curves leading into the loop, but they are probably in the 34" to 36" range. I use the pencil/paper/eyeball method of planning and laying track work. I do use homemade templates for most curves.
Garry - Continued thoughts and prayers for your MIL.
Curt -
Willie- Nice picture of the double mainline.
Not actually a double mainline, but a main and passing siding. The main is the taller one with the lighter colored ballast.
Justin - I also like the water tower.:D

Today is one of my favorite days, National Prime Rib Day. Unfortunately I forgot to take it out of the freezer last night, so I'll celebrate tomorrow.
Everybody have a great Saturday, they're all Saturdays once you retire.

Good Morning, FLO .... Just leave the pot of coffee and I'll stick my head into it!
I probably should have made this post last night - Spousal Unit and I were getting home about the time that some of you were starting to post for today. Youngest daughter was having severe pains yesterday, so wife took her to doctor who ordered an immediate ultra sound (thought it may be kidney stones) which was not clear, followed by a CT Scan and then set up for immediate surgery due to a burst appendix. In spite of all this taking place within a 5 mile radius - It was a 12 hour ordeal from doctor visit to recovery room. Daughter is doing fine as of leaving her side after being wheeled into her hospital room shortly after midnight. I guess that is pretty quick considering, but when you are sitting around twillidling your thumbs for 12 hours - the time sure seems to drag. How the heck did I survive those 10-12 hour all night flights for all those years?
Today's not going to be much better. Going to another G Son's soccer gane this afternoon over in Newport. That will take up most all of the afternoon and evening - still missing the brother's early game at 9AM this morning.
Will try and finish up the Turtle's little home this morning - managed to get all of the pieces, except two, cut out yesterday.
Not sure if I will have time to smear any paint on it, or not?

Good afternoon.

Justin. ... Very nice progress on your layout .

Willie ... your layout photos look great .

Mike... Glad to hear you are running trains .

Terry ... not a fun project replacing a mailbox post.

Sherrel... Sorry to hear about your daughter’s situation. Reminds me of when I had a ruptured appendix. Very painful.

Karl ... Did you get the cat? Do you need name suggestions? An obvious one would be “Chessie”.

Have a good day everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back