Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a track photo?

track 01.jpg

Good morning. 48 degrees and cloudy to start off the day. We did top out at 81 yesterday, but with the wind, it did feel cooler. My bowling team made it into the final roll offs last night by four pins. This means a minimum of an additional $250 up to $600 depending how they bowl. Four teams, each a quarter winner will compete.

Looks like the word got out that a fresh batch of donuts just came out at the diner.

thumbnail_20190419_142934.jpg

Sherrel - I don't think I would want to try to model that track. Little Larry has his poop in a group.

Tom - If you get by that shop again, I model 1957 and would like to find some farm and construction machinery that are accurate and would fit the time period. No hurry. Been looking for 30 years.

Willie - I really like that farm house. Simple but a good looker. Nice photo.

Dave - Like that photo. The utility lines make the scene come together. Nice work.

Garry - That Challenger is an old Riverossi model. It was a major PIA to get it to run. It only picked up on the drivers and I added pickups to the leading and trailing trucks plus installed a can motor. It started off as a Union Pacific model Took off the smoke deflectors, removed one of the two stacks and added a few details before painting it. Dis it probably 20 some years ago. A nice running locomotive now.

Saw an interesting show on Mysteries of the Abandoned on the Science Channel about Thurmond, WV. It is now a ghost town and also a national park. It was a town that was pretty well built up because of the railroad. C&O, now CSX. It one time it was a thriving town because of the clean coal deposits in the area, but with the change from steam to diesel power, the town was abandoned. The CSX still runs through it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurmond,_West_Virginia

Here are a few more photos of some steamers. The first is an Athearn Genisis Mike with a couple of Harriman coaches I lettered for the Logan Valley.

thumbnail_20190419_141944.jpg

The next is a brass Northern Pacific Y-1 Consolidation with a couple of Atlas cars. THe paint scheme is too old for the time period I am modeling as the Pine Tree paint scheme was upgraded to the Lowey paint scheme in 1954. Being that they are older cars, the Logan Valley bought them and just hasn't repainted them yet.

IMAG0393-1.jpg

Got the laundry done so I guess I can head down to the train room.

Later

Last edited:
Morning all,

Coffee with a veggie omelet for me this morning.
Sunny and cool this morning (44) with highs near 70 today.

Short day at work, but every Friday is supposed to be that way. I generally work 4-9's and a 4 so I work a half day on Fridays. Lots of yard work to do as Friday afternoon yard maintenance allows me to have the other 2 days of the weekend clear. The wife normally gets home about 3 pm.

Sherrel: I scared myself as well. At least the basement floor is carpeted. That minimized the damage.

David: I do have a little binding I need to work through on the rail transition, but the bridge railing is what the the engine hit. My smaller engines, like my grandson's Thomas and my little track inspection car are short nosed enough they didn't hit the railing. My thought is to either do away with that bridge and look into something else or partially cut the railing on the outside of the curve. My issue is bridge length and where it ties in on the curve.

Patrick: Yes, possibly filing or grinding aw a bit of the bridge gerter will solve the problem or as you said earlier making the approach a little straighter.

Afternoon All,

Did a bunch of chores today to get ready for Easter, and now watching a movie.

Chet- Nice looking steamers and another great scene.

Terry- Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Willie- A nice set of buildings.

Dave- You did a nice job on the ground cover for a industrial area.

Sherrel- That would be a heck of a thing to model.

Tom- Nice looking building.

I hope everyone has a good night, and I hope everyone has a Happy Easter. I will talk to you on Monday

LITTLE Johnny!
A teacher asked her class how many of them were Donald Trump fans.
Not really knowing what a Donald Trump fan was, but wanting to be liked by the teacher, all the kids raised their hands except for little Johnny.
The teacher asked little Johnny why he decided to be different.
Little Johnny said, "Because I'm not a Donald Trump fan".
The teacher asked, "Why aren't you a Donald Trump fan"?
Little Johnny said,"Because I'm a Liberal."
The teacher asked him why he's a Liberal.
Little Johnny answered, "Well, my Mom is a Liberal and my Dad is a Liberal, so I'm a Liberal."
Annoyed by this answer, the teacher asked, "If your Mom was a moron and your Dad was an idiot, what would that make you?"
Little Larry replied, "A Donald Trump fan."

If you find the above post to be offensive, then I need to ask why Post 579 on page 29 isn't just as offensive?!?

Happy Easter everyone! Flo, we're eating breakfast at church this morning, so nothing to eat for me; but, a good hot cup of Joe would be great, Thanks!

LITTLE Johnny!
Not really knowing what a Donald Trump fan was, but wanting to be liked by the teacher, all the kids raised their hands except for little Johnny.
Little Johnny answered, "Well, my Mom is a Liberal and my Dad is a Liberal, so I'm a Liberal."
Annoyed by this answer, the teacher asked, "If your Mom was a moron and your Dad was an idiot, what would that make you?"

If you find the above post to be offensive, then I need to ask why Post 579 on page 29 isn't just as offensive?!?

Happy Easter everyone! Flo, we're eating breakfast at church this morning, so nothing to eat for me; but, a good hot cup of Joe would be great, Thanks!

Any politician other than BS would make the first post offensive.

No one reported it!

Good Morning All. Happy Easter. 57° and clear skies to start this Easter Morning. How about some Eggs Benedict and Dom Perignon this morning Francine. Getting started early preparing the macaroni salad for 48 people that is my family Easter celebration assignment. They're probably expecting me to bring the same recipe that I made two years ago that everybody raved about, but I am going to surprise them. That one was a traditional mayonnaise-based recipe, this time I am making an Italian Pasta Salad. Besides the pasta, it includes homemade Italian dressing, chopped red onion, chopped red and green bell pepper, sliced black olives, diced mozzarella cheese, shredded Parmesan cheese, diced pepperoni, spices and halved grape tomatoes. Quite yummy.:)
Spent a good part of the day yesterday mowing the yard, got about two acres done. Still need to do the "back forty" and around the pond, but those areas are still too "mushy" to properly drive on. They'll wait until Monday.

Thanks for all of the comments and likes on the farm buildings posted yesterday Dave, Phil, Mark, Garry, Sherrel, Chet, Justin, Jerome, Tom, Jim, Curt and anyone that I could have possibly missed.

All that mowing cut into my train shed time yesterday. I was able to add some signs and figures, along with a few more scenery enhancements to the area that I am working on. Spent a little time walking around looking at the options and trying to decide where to go next. Thought about posting some pictures to get your opinions, kind of like a contest, but decided that everyone would pick the most difficult place.
Here's one option that I'm leaning to, which is going to be time-consuming but probably not too difficult.
09-04-16 006.JPG

This is an older picture and I have already done the area in the upper right center around the mill and grain elevator. I have some structures ready to go here and I have already started ballasting on the right side of the peninsula. OR I might just do a small area somewhere else that won't take quite as long.

Dave - That is a nice scene.
Phil -
WILLIE- Will there be a designated driver ???
Sometimes it's my wife! For the others, 27 of the 48 all live within three blocks and will most likely walk anyway.
Chet - Nice scene around the donut shop.

Everybody have a great Easter Sunday or just a great day if you don't observe.

LITTLE Johnny!

and little johnny remains a moron..

Good morning and happy Easter too all.
Did the family thing yesterday, so today me and my lady will just chill, and work on the redo of the living room.
Might get downstairs later, maybe!

Cooled down around here yesterday - and today will only be in the 60's. We will have another roller coaster this next week climbing back into the high 80's and once again back to the 60's on the high side - such as the springtime around here.

Chuck - nice track photo! The Brits, I think, have the most complicated railways I have ever seen; boy, I would hate to have to learn that maze. In all my travels, I regret that I did not spend more time around the trains in Europe except for taking an occasional trip. Come to think of it - Did take quite a few ... Barcelona, Spain to Zurich was the longest ... thought my teeth were gonna fall out between Barcelona and Madrid!

Well - in closing out this morning, I will add: WILLIE - You sure do have some interesting structures and such nice work on them all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back